Winmgmt

My OS is Windows ME.
When I power-on my PC upon completion
of the procedure, I do CTL/ALT/DEL, and
in the Close Program Window is 'Winmgmt'.
Question: Can I stop this program from running?

> Question: Can I stop this program from running?

No, not directly but rather you can try and reduce the number of occasions
this application runs, one of which is to not bother with the PCHealth
Scheduler for Data Collection. Details follow, you may want to jump to
the penultimate paragraph before diving in and reading it all.

PCHealth Scheduler for Data Collection:
The PCHealth entry in MSConfig | Startup and also in the Task Scheduler,
refers to the PCHealth Scheduler for Data Collection routine (pchschd.exe)
which launches winmgmt.exe to collect software and hardware configuration
data that can be accessed using Help & Support's System Information's
History view. In other words it allows you to see changes over a period of
time to your system such as drivers. The details collected are contained
in the files CollectedData???.xml files in the folder
...\windows\pchealth\helpctr\DataColl.

Note that all that pchschd.exe is doing every ten minutes is checking if
the system is idle or not. If idle it launches winmgmt.exe to collect the
information and sets itself to run again in 6 hours, if not it continues
to run at ten minute intervals until it finds the system is idle.

As to whether you need this historic data or not, only you can decide. A
number of us have long since decided to disable pchschd.exe having no use
for the collected data. It should be noted that if you contact MS or an
OEM for help that it is possible that they might request you send them
these files. If you do choose to disable pchschd.exe it is ESSENTIAL to
delete/disable it from both MSConfig | Startup and the Task Scheduler as
otherwise the startup entry will recreate the Task Scheduler entry when
the system is rebooted.

One advantage of disabling the PCHealth Scheduler is that it minimizes the
chances of winmgmt.exe causing problems. What happens is that quite often
winmgmt.exe doesn't exit correctly when it has finished but instead
remains resident and using cpu cycles.

Note also that disabling these entries does NOT affect either System
Restore or System File Protect, nor AutoUpdate or your ability to use Help
& Support, all part of what Microsoft call "PCHealth".
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

RatherKnott <RatherKnott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> My OS is Windows ME.
> When I power-on my PC upon completion
> of the procedure, I do CTL/ALT/DEL, and
> in the Close Program Window is 'Winmgmt'.
> Question: Can I stop this program from running?

Thanks for the suggestion, but Winmgmt still appears in the Close Program
Window. Any other thoughts?
Thanks.
R.K.

"Mike M" wrote:

> > Question: Can I stop this program from running?
>
> No, not directly but rather you can try and reduce the number of occasions
> this application runs, one of which is to not bother with the PCHealth
> Scheduler for Data Collection. Details follow, you may want to jump to
> the penultimate paragraph before diving in and reading it all.
>
> PCHealth Scheduler for Data Collection:
> The PCHealth entry in MSConfig | Startup and also in the Task Scheduler,
> refers to the PCHealth Scheduler for Data Collection routine (pchschd.exe)
> which launches winmgmt.exe to collect software and hardware configuration
> data that can be accessed using Help & Support's System Information's
> History view. In other words it allows you to see changes over a period of
> time to your system such as drivers. The details collected are contained
> in the files CollectedData???.xml files in the folder
> ...\windows\pchealth\helpctr\DataColl.
>
> Note that all that pchschd.exe is doing every ten minutes is checking if
> the system is idle or not. If idle it launches winmgmt.exe to collect the
> information and sets itself to run again in 6 hours, if not it continues
> to run at ten minute intervals until it finds the system is idle.
>
> As to whether you need this historic data or not, only you can decide. A
> number of us have long since decided to disable pchschd.exe having no use
> for the collected data. It should be noted that if you contact MS or an
> OEM for help that it is possible that they might request you send them
> these files. If you do choose to disable pchschd.exe it is ESSENTIAL to
> delete/disable it from both MSConfig | Startup and the Task Scheduler as
> otherwise the startup entry will recreate the Task Scheduler entry when
> the system is rebooted.
>
> One advantage of disabling the PCHealth Scheduler is that it minimizes the
> chances of winmgmt.exe causing problems. What happens is that quite often
> winmgmt.exe doesn't exit correctly when it has finished but instead
> remains resident and using cpu cycles.
>
> Note also that disabling these entries does NOT affect either System
> Restore or System File Protect, nor AutoUpdate or your ability to use Help
> & Support, all part of what Microsoft call "PCHealth".
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> RatherKnott <RatherKnott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > My OS is Windows ME.
> > When I power-on my PC upon completion
> > of the procedure, I do CTL/ALT/DEL, and
> > in the Close Program Window is 'Winmgmt'.
> > Question: Can I stop this program from running?

Did you disable both PCHealth entries and reboot? Check also that you
don't have an entry in MSConfig | Startup that launches winmgmt.exe each
time you boot your PC. I suggest checking this because this has been
reported in the past but it was never clear how this happened as by
default Win Me only launches winmgmt.exe when required and does not launch
it each time Win Me is booted.

Incidentally there is was no need to add my name to the subject of your
post, posting as a follow up to my earlier post was more than sufficient.
:)
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

RatherKnott <RatherKnott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion, but Winmgmt still appears in the Close
> Program Window. Any other thoughts?
> Thanks.

Shane

Mike,

Just a thought, based on my own experience, if RK has Sygate PF that would
cause Winmgmt to run. Even (if) after Sygate has been uninstalled.

Shane

> Did you disable both PCHealth entries and reboot? Check also that you
> don't have an entry in MSConfig | Startup that launches winmgmt.exe each
> time you boot your PC. I suggest checking this because this has been
> reported in the past but it was never clear how this happened as by
> default Win Me only launches winmgmt.exe when required and does not launch
> it each time Win Me is booted.
>
> Incidentally there is was no need to add my name to the subject of your
> post, posting as a follow up to my earlier post was more than sufficient.
> :)
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> RatherKnott <RatherKnott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the suggestion, but Winmgmt still appears in the Close
> > Program Window. Any other thoughts?
> > Thanks.

Thanks Shane,

I'll try and remember that nugget if I ever see a similar question in
future.

Cheers,
--
Mike

Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just a thought, based on my own experience, if RK has Sygate PF that
> would cause Winmgmt to run. Even (if) after Sygate has been
> uninstalled.

Shane

Actually, Mike, I also gave up on Kerio 4.x for the same reason, though that
slipped my mind there for a while.

If it's a universal issue I guess quite a lot of users have Winmgmt running
all the time, though probably most use Zone Alarm.

Incidentally I did a couple of clean Win ME installations in trying to track
the winmgmt issue down and ended up just going back to Kerio 2.1.5.

Shane

> Thanks Shane,
>
> I'll try and remember that nugget if I ever see a similar question in
> future.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Mike
>
> Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just a thought, based on my own experience, if RK has Sygate PF that
> > would cause Winmgmt to run. Even (if) after Sygate has been
> > uninstalled.

FWIW, the latest free ZA 5.5.094.000 is running here, and Process Explorer
9.03 reports that WMIEXE.exe is executing, but not winmgmt.exe, since PC
Health is disabled, as Mike notes.
In fact, with IE6 SP1 and OE6 running, under dial-up, cpu idle time is
typically 99%. I can't remember when I last saw winmgmt.exe running.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Actually, Mike, I also gave up on Kerio 4.x for the same reason, though
that
> slipped my mind there for a while.
>
> If it's a universal issue I guess quite a lot of users have Winmgmt
running
> all the time, though probably most use Zone Alarm.
>
> Incidentally I did a couple of clean Win ME installations in trying to
track
> the winmgmt issue down and ended up just going back to Kerio 2.1.5.
>

> Shane
>
> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> > Thanks Shane,
> >
> > I'll try and remember that nugget if I ever see a similar question in
> > future.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Mike
> >
> > Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Just a thought, based on my own experience, if RK has Sygate PF that
> > > would cause Winmgmt to run. Even (if) after Sygate has been
> > > uninstalled.

Yes to disabling both entries.
Yes to Re-boot.
No to any other entry in Startup showing winmgmt.exe
No to Sygate PF
No to Zone Alarm
Thanks for all the suggestions.
End result I am still using End Task to eliminate it
from the Close Program Window.
R.K.

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> FWIW, the latest free ZA 5.5.094.000 is running here, and Process Explorer
> 9.03 reports that WMIEXE.exe is executing, but not winmgmt.exe, since PC
> Health is disabled, as Mike notes.
> In fact, with IE6 SP1 and OE6 running, under dial-up, cpu idle time is
> typically 99%. I can't remember when I last saw winmgmt.exe running.

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Actually, Mike, I also gave up on Kerio 4.x for the same reason, though
> that
> > slipped my mind there for a while.
> >
> > If it's a universal issue I guess quite a lot of users have Winmgmt
> running
> > all the time, though probably most use Zone Alarm.
> >
> > Incidentally I did a couple of clean Win ME installations in trying to
> track
> > the winmgmt issue down and ended up just going back to Kerio 2.1.5.
> >

> > Shane
> >
> > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> > > Thanks Shane,
> > >
> > > I'll try and remember that nugget if I ever see a similar question in
> > > future.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > --
> > > Mike

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

I have seen WinMgmt running in the background on here as well. No reason
for it as PC Health had been disabled for a couple of years. I use Zone
Alarm Pro, a version 4.5xxx one.

Am also getting spool errors and I know it is the printer, but will have to
figure out which one of two entries to take out of Startup. I am sure there
used to be only one.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Heather

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Actually, Mike, I also gave up on Kerio 4.x for the same reason, though
that
> slipped my mind there for a while.
>
> If it's a universal issue I guess quite a lot of users have Winmgmt
running
> all the time, though probably most use Zone Alarm.
>
> Incidentally I did a couple of clean Win ME installations in trying to
track
> the winmgmt issue down and ended up just going back to Kerio 2.1.5.
>

> Shane
>
> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> > Thanks Shane,
> >
> > I'll try and remember that nugget if I ever see a similar question in
> > future.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Mike
> >
> > Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Just a thought, based on my own experience, if RK has Sygate PF that
> > > would cause Winmgmt to run. Even (if) after Sygate has been
> > > uninstalled.

Shane

How about Kerio 4.1.2 or 4.1.3? If not Kerio, what firewall are you using?
Not that it has to be a firewall - assuming some 3rd party software is the
cause at all - but so far I've only seen (the two) firewalls causing this
behaviour. afaik ZoneAlarm does not.

I was alerted to winmgmt running - when testing the latest Sygate PF about 6
months ago - when ScanDefrag would no longer complete. Winmgmt running
early in the boot process caused Scandisk to restart repeatedly. Disabling
Sygate PF stopped winmgmt running and ScanDefrag was able to complete. When
enabled, winmgmt ran all the time.

After I uninstalled Sygate, I installed Kerio 4.1.2 and winmgmt continued to
run. At first I thought it was an incomplete Sygate de-installation, but
eventually did a clean Windows install and put Kerio 4.1.2 on from the
outset - and winmgmt again ran continually.

Actually I did three clean installations of Win ME. The first to verify that
Sygate PF was associated with winmgmt running, the second to verify that
Kerio 4.1.2 was also, and the third to eliminate the possibility that it was
some other cause, such as some other recently installed software.

Having reverted to Kerio 2.1.5 the issue has been resolved.

Shane

"RatherKnott" <RatherKnott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes to disabling both entries.
> Yes to Re-boot.
> No to any other entry in Startup showing winmgmt.exe
> No to Sygate PF
> No to Zone Alarm
> Thanks for all the suggestions.
> End result I am still using End Task to eliminate it
> from the Close Program Window.
> R.K.
>
> "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
>
> > FWIW, the latest free ZA 5.5.094.000 is running here, and Process
Explorer
> > 9.03 reports that WMIEXE.exe is executing, but not winmgmt.exe, since PC
> > Health is disabled, as Mike notes.
> > In fact, with IE6 SP1 and OE6 running, under dial-up, cpu idle time is
> > typically 99%. I can't remember when I last saw winmgmt.exe running.
> >
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Actually, Mike, I also gave up on Kerio 4.x for the same reason,
though
> > that
> > > slipped my mind there for a while.
> > >
> > > If it's a universal issue I guess quite a lot of users have Winmgmt
> > running
> > > all the time, though probably most use Zone Alarm.
> > >
> > > Incidentally I did a couple of clean Win ME installations in trying to
> > track
> > > the winmgmt issue down and ended up just going back to Kerio 2.1.5.
> > >

> > > Shane
> > >
> > > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

Shane

What make printer, Figgs?

Shane

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> I have seen WinMgmt running in the background on here as well. No reason
> for it as PC Health had been disabled for a couple of years. I use Zone
> Alarm Pro, a version 4.5xxx one.
>
> Am also getting spool errors and I know it is the printer, but will have
> figure out which one of two entries to take out of Startup. I am sure
there
> used to be only one.
>
> Just my 2 cents worth.
>
> Heather
>
> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Actually, Mike, I also gave up on Kerio 4.x for the same reason, though
> that
> > slipped my mind there for a while.
> >
> > If it's a universal issue I guess quite a lot of users have Winmgmt
> running
> > all the time, though probably most use Zone Alarm.
> >
> > Incidentally I did a couple of clean Win ME installations in trying to
> track
> > the winmgmt issue down and ended up just going back to Kerio 2.1.5.
> >

> > Shane
> >
> > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> > > Thanks Shane,
> > >
> > > I'll try and remember that nugget if I ever see a similar question in
> > > future.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > --
> > > Mike

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Epson Styus Photo R200......bought it at Xmas, but haven't used it much. I
had a problem plugging it into the cpu.....but I noticed two entries in
Startup, one from the Registry and the other not.

One is a *per-user run* and ends with */EF "HKCU".

The other is *machine run* and ends with ?M "Stylus Photo R200"

I swear before I took this computer over to Willy that there was only one
entry in Startup....but I could be wrong.

I will post Willy's findings and comments separately....he is quite amazed
by your folks, grin.

Cheers....Figgs
> What make printer, Figgs?
>

> Shane
>

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > I have seen WinMgmt running in the background on here as well. No
reason
> > for it as PC Health had been disabled for a couple of years. I use Zone
> > Alarm Pro, a version 4.5xxx one.
> >
> > Am also getting spool errors and I know it is the printer, but will have
> > figure out which one of two entries to take out of Startup. I am sure
> there
> > used to be only one.
> >
> > Just my 2 cents worth.
> >
> > Heather
> >
> > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Actually, Mike, I also gave up on Kerio 4.x for the same reason,
though
> > that
> > > slipped my mind there for a while.
> > >
> > > If it's a universal issue I guess quite a lot of users have Winmgmt
> > running
> > > all the time, though probably most use Zone Alarm.
> > >
> > > Incidentally I did a couple of clean Win ME installations in trying to
> > track
> > > the winmgmt issue down and ended up just going back to Kerio 2.1.5.
> > >

> > > Shane
> > >
> > > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

Heather,

I've got an R200 here which I use for printing on CDs and DVDs. It's
connected to a box running XP and added one entry to the startup axis -
HKLM.. Run, that's a "machine run" entry. The second entry you are seeing
could be the Epson control panel. Do you see this in the systray?

If you want I'll install the R200 on my Win Me box if there's anything you
want me to check for you.
--
Mike

Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Epson Styus Photo R200......bought it at Xmas, but haven't used it
> much. I had a problem plugging it into the cpu.....but I noticed two
> entries in Startup, one from the Registry and the other not.
>
> One is a *per-user run* and ends with */EF "HKCU".
>
> The other is *machine run* and ends with ?M "Stylus Photo R200"
>
> I swear before I took this computer over to Willy that there was only
> one entry in Startup....but I could be wrong.
>
> I will post Willy's findings and comments separately....he is quite
> amazed by your folks, grin.

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Hi Mike....

OK....I rebooted instead of sending the first post. No spooling error (it
is erratic, btw) and only one entry in Task Manager for the printer.....and
it is called *E_s4i2h1*......there were two when I got the error.

I think I might have it connected to the wrong Com port as well. I see in
my notes that is has been happening for quite a while. So not the fault of
the reconnection of the printer, I guess.

So should I take out the *per-user* one?? That is the one with the registry
reference.....*/EF "HKCU". The other Machine Run one is probably the icon
in my tray which is now back after rebooting. Not entirely sure which was
the original one in Startup....but I am pretty sure I just had one. Maybe I
didn't notice.

A bit tired today.....and not entirely with it, to say the least. (G)
Still bloody cold, but I see your weather is not much warmer. Elayne is off
to Scotland on the 5th of June and we leave for Quebec on the 7th.

Been poring over websites in french and some english trying to find decent
accommodation in La Belle Province!! Going flippin' blind!! Not about to
spend $250/night to stay in some ritzy spa place. Seems the Charlevoix area
is rather la-di-dah, grin.

We are heading out for dinner right now, but thanks for the offer and I may
just take you up on that. But OTOH, might uncheck one of the two in Startup
and see if that is the problem. What do you think??

These blasted printers, scanners and cameras seem to cause problems on
computers. And once I get this sorted out, will pick your brain on using it
properly. Still had my 9 year old Canon inkjet hooked up as well, but it is
off here now.

Best....Heather

> Heather,
>
> I've got an R200 here which I use for printing on CDs and DVDs. It's
> connected to a box running XP and added one entry to the startup axis -
> HKLM.. Run, that's a "machine run" entry. The second entry you are seeing

> could be the Epson control panel. Do you see this in the systray?
>
> If you want I'll install the R200 on my Win Me box if there's anything you
> want me to check for you.
> --
> Mike
>

> Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Epson Styus Photo R200......bought it at Xmas, but haven't used it
> > much. I had a problem plugging it into the cpu.....but I noticed two
> > entries in Startup, one from the Registry and the other not.
> >
> > One is a *per-user run* and ends with */EF "HKCU".
> >
> > The other is *machine run* and ends with ?M "Stylus Photo R200"
> >
> > I swear before I took this computer over to Willy that there was only
> > one entry in Startup....but I could be wrong.
> >
> > I will post Willy's findings and comments separately....he is quite
> > amazed by your folks, grin.

I can't add much except that my daughter has an Epson R200, for the same
reasons as Mike, and it is fine under XP Home SP2.
> Hi Mike....

<SNIP>