Problems With MCK-142PRO Keyboard

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I have owned 3 MCK-142PRO keyboards. Each has failed in about 2
years. The Enter key on my current one failed last night. the key
seems to have broken off it's base. I think this is the way both my
earlier ones failed. These things cost $100+. Is there a way to
repair this?

Here's a photo of the broken key http://factsfacts.com/keyboard.jpg

jim
6 answers Last reply
More about problems 142pro keyboard
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    jim evans <jimsnews@houston.rr.com> wrote:

    >I have owned 3 MCK-142PRO keyboards. Each has failed in about 2
    >years. The Enter key on my current one failed last night. the key
    >seems to have broken off it's base. I think this is the way both my
    >earlier ones failed. These things cost $100+. Is there a way to
    >repair this?
    >Here's a photo of the broken key http://factsfacts.com/keyboard.jpg

    Thanks for the picture.
    Here is the whole thing:
    http://tinyurl.com/5kjbu
    ADESSO CAD PROGRAMMABLE 142 KEY KEYBOARD

    I can't really tell what is broken, since there is no fully
    functioning part to compare it to.

    Of course, one way to avoid the problem is by a different keyboard. I
    guess you probably don't want to learn new function keys.

    If you buy another keyboard, if you touch type, buy a split keyboard.
    The more split the better, in my opinion. I think Logitech makes good
    keyboards.

    Good luck.

    --
    United States and British intelligence agencies admittedly break the
    law while spying on each other. United States and British governments

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 22:42:01 GMT, John Doe
    <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing.com> wrote:
    >Of course, one way to avoid the problem is by a different keyboard. I
    >guess you probably don't want to learn new function keys.

    It's more than just learning them it's taking my eyes off what I'm
    doing to reach them. The function keys on the left is a MUCH better
    solution. Why this style was abandoned for the much clumsier,
    difficult to use row across the top of the keyboard is a mystery to
    me. Also, this keyboard also has 24 key which will memorize different
    keyboard macros.

    jim
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    jim evans <jimsnews@houston.rr.com> wrote:
    ><jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing.com> wrote:

    >> Of course, one way to avoid the problem is by a different
    >> keyboard. I guess you probably don't want to learn new function
    >> keys.
    >
    >It's more than just learning them it's taking my eyes off what I'm
    >doing to reach them. The function keys on the left is a MUCH
    >better solution. Why this style was abandoned for the much
    >clumsier, difficult to use row across the top of the keyboard is a
    >mystery to me.

    I guess they wanted less width and more depth.

    >Also, this keyboard also has 24 key which will memorize different
    >keyboard macros.

    Macros are my Window's forte. I think Macro Express is pretty good
    (or was, I write my own recorder nowadays). Stay away from QuickKeys
    for Windows. There is also speech recognition if you can afford it.
    Dragon's NaturallySpeaking 7 Professional includes single window
    macros (not systemwide macros). Even simple replacement text style
    NS7 Preferred voice macros are surprisingly very useful. If you do
    Computer Aided Design, also try some of the big CAD discussion
    groups for keyboard suggestions.

    --
    United States and British intelligence agencies admittedly break the
    law while spying on each other. United States and British
    governments claim to actively share that illegally gathered
    intelligence.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 00:16:04 GMT, John Doe
    <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing.com> wrote:

    >jim evans <jimsnews@houston.rr.com> wrote:
    >><jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing.com> wrote:
    >
    >>> Of course, one way to avoid the problem is by a different
    >>> keyboard. I guess you probably don't want to learn new function
    >>> keys.
    >>
    >>It's more than just learning them it's taking my eyes off what I'm
    >>doing to reach them. The function keys on the left is a MUCH
    >>better solution. Why this style was abandoned for the much
    >>clumsier, difficult to use row across the top of the keyboard is a
    >>mystery to me.
    >
    >I guess they wanted less width and more depth.

    Not really. They took away two columns of keys (the F keys) on the
    edge of the keyboard and added three columns (cursor pad) in the
    middle. The original PC keyboard was narrower (less wide) than the
    one that replaced it -- the one with the F keys along the top and the
    cursor pad between the letter keys and the cursor/number pad on the
    right.

    jim
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    jim evans <jimsnews@houston.rr.com> wrote:
    >John Doe <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing.com> wrote:
    >> jim evans <jimsnews@houston.rr.com> wrote:

    >>> It's more than just learning them it's taking my eyes off what I'm
    >>> doing to reach them. The function keys on the left is a MUCH
    >>> better solution. Why this style was abandoned for the much
    >>> clumsier, difficult to use row across the top of the keyboard is a
    >>> mystery to me.
    >>
    >> I guess they wanted less width and more depth.
    >
    >Not really. They took away two columns of keys (the F keys) on the
    >edge of the keyboard and added three columns (cursor pad) in the
    >middle. The original PC keyboard was narrower (less wide) than the
    >one that replaced it -- the one with the F keys along the top and the
    >cursor pad between the letter keys and the cursor/number pad on the
    >right.

    Assuming that is true. Because they wanted to add a keypad, and naturally placed it on the right side which increased the width, you are led to the conclusion that they moved the function keys just to inconvenience you? Whatever.

    I for one appreciate your post about problems with your ADESSO keyboard. The picture is useful. Then again, if by being there you can't tell what's broken, how is anyone else going to tell? Have you removed another key so you can compare the two?

    Good luck.

    >jim

    >From: jim evans <jimsnews@houston.rr.com>
    >From: jim evans <jimsnews @houston.rr.com>
    >Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
    >Subject: Re: Problems With MCK-142PRO Keyboard
    >Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 19:18:46 -0600

  6. I also have an mck142 and would not part with it for anything.My repairs consist of removing the the keycap and bottom plate and unsoldering the bad switch and replacing it with one from the left hand function keys. I still have 4 spare switches, but I would dearly love to find an additional keyboard. I've also heard of people who visited thrift stores and found dirt cheap keyboards with compatible switches, probably from other Ortek or Adesso keyboards.
    adringenberg@mindspring.com

Homebuilt Hardware Keyboards Systems