New Computer - Use "Update" Version of XP?

Jonesy

I am guessing that the answer to this is going to be a big, fat "no",
but I wanted to ask here if anyone has had any success regardless.

I'm building a new pc. The previous computer I owned was a dell, and
after owning it for 6 months I purchased the "upgrade" version of XP (I
was originally using millenium).

Is there *any* possibilty of using the "upgrade" version of XP for the
OS on my new pc?

In article <1107656259.144160.60530@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
jonesy1973@excite.com says...

>I am guessing that the answer to this is going to be a big, fat "no",
>but I wanted to ask here if anyone has had any success regardless.
>
>I'm building a new pc. The previous computer I owned was a dell, and
>after owning it for 6 months I purchased the "upgrade" version of XP (I
>was originally using millenium).
>
>Is there *any* possibilty of using the "upgrade" version of XP for the
>OS on my new pc?

I think so, I do. However this assumes you have a CD for another
version of Windows from which you are upgrading. In your previous case,
it saw whatever was already on the Dell disk. But on a new computer
with blank disk, you have to show it the older version CD.

Near the start of the installation of the installation of the XP Upgrade
version, it will ask to see the CD for the older version (meaning you
take out the XP CD, and put in the older CD for a minute or so). I
dont have a Dell, but I show it an installation CD for a similar Upgrade
version of Win98, and then it's happy, and continues with the XP CD.
Any old Win98 or WinME CD should satisfy it.

Jonesy

Wayne Fulton wrote:
> In article <1107656259.144160.60530@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> jonesy1973@excite.com says...
> >

> >I am guessing that the answer to this is going to be a big, fat
"no",
> >but I wanted to ask here if anyone has had any success regardless.
> >
> >I'm building a new pc. The previous computer I owned was a dell,
and
> >after owning it for 6 months I purchased the "upgrade" version of XP
(I
> >was originally using millenium).
> >
> >Is there *any* possibilty of using the "upgrade" version of XP for
the
> >OS on my new pc?
>

> I think so, I do. However this assumes you have a CD for another
> version of Windows from which you are upgrading. In your previous
case,
> it saw whatever was already on the Dell disk. But on a new computer
> with blank disk, you have to show it the older version CD.
>
> Near the start of the installation of the installation of the XP
Upgrade
> version, it will ask to see the CD for the older version (meaning you

> take out the XP CD, and put in the older CD for a minute or so). I
> dont have a Dell, but I show it an installation CD for a similar
Upgrade
> version of Win98, and then it's happy, and continues with the XP CD.

> Any old Win98 or WinME CD should satisfy it.

Thanks guys for your help. Another thing I forgot to mention was that
I was told that windows OS software is only licensed for use on *one*
computer only. There won't be any problems along this regard, will
there?

And yes, I still do have the "recovery" disk from my Dell that has
millenium.

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:47:04 -0600, Wayne Fulton <nospam@invalid.com>
wrote:

>Here is the Microsoft page that describes requirements for installing
>the XP Upgrade version.
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941
>
>Says you can show a CD for any of
>
>Windows 98
>Windows 98 Second Edition
>Windows Millennium Edition
>Windows NT 4.0
>Windows 2000 Professional

Provided the licence for the previous OS is a full licence. If it is
the OEM license for the Dell, it would be a license violation to use
it on a new PC.

Jonesy

Wayne Fulton wrote:
> In article <1107722924.935755.236300@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> jonesy1973@excite.com says...
>
> >Thanks guys for your help. Another thing I forgot to mention was
that
> >I was told that windows OS software is only licensed for use on
*one*
> >computer only. There won't be any problems along this regard, will
> >there?
>

> Yes, the idea is one installed system per purchased CD. That's the
> entire purpose of the XP Activation system, to enforce that
effectively.
> You must Activate the new computer within 30 days to be able to
continue
> using it.
>
> Here is a Microsoft FAQ about Activation.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302878

So, I'm essentially stuck with buying another copy of XP then.

In article <1107722924.935755.236300@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
jonesy1973@excite.com says...

>Thanks guys for your help. Another thing I forgot to mention was that
>I was told that windows OS software is only licensed for use on *one*
>computer only. There won't be any problems along this regard, will
>there?

Yes, the idea is one installed system per purchased CD. That's the
entire purpose of the XP Activation system, to enforce that effectively.
You must Activate the new computer within 30 days to be able to continue
using it.

Here is a Microsoft FAQ about Activation.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302878

Jim

On 6 Feb 2005 21:58:05 -0800, "Jonesy"
>So, I'm essentially stuck with buying another copy of XP then.

Timing is excellent to download and check out out Linux.
You may be very surprised. Two distributions are easy for
newcomers and freely downloaded, Mandrake 10.1 and SuSE 9.2.

Use this link for these and others: http://linuxiso.org/

On 6 Feb 2005 12:48:44 -0800, "Jonesy" <jonesy1973@excite.com> wrote:

>Thanks guys for your help. Another thing I forgot to mention was that
>I was told that windows OS software is only licensed for use on *one*
>computer only. There won't be any problems along this regard, will
>there?

If you can find an full install OS CD (which is not installed on
another PC) you can use to qualify for the XP upgrade, I think you are
fine.

>And yes, I still do have the "recovery" disk from my Dell that has
>millenium.
That is irrelvent, as that is an OEM license specifically for that
Dell.

On 6 Feb 2005 21:58:05 -0800, "Jonesy" <jonesy1973@excite.com> wrote:

>So, I'm essentially stuck with buying another copy of XP then.

In you specific situation, I think so.

No, it will not work. For a new OS installation you MUST use the Full
version.

--
DaveW

"Jonesy" <jonesy1973@excite.com> wrote in message
>I am guessing that the answer to this is going to be a big, fat "no",
> but I wanted to ask here if anyone has had any success regardless.
>
> I'm building a new pc. The previous computer I owned was a dell, and
> after owning it for 6 months I purchased the "upgrade" version of XP (I
> was originally using millenium).
>
> Is there *any* possibilty of using the "upgrade" version of XP for the
> OS on my new pc?

Jonesy

KC Computers wrote:
> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
> > No, it will not work. For a new OS installation you MUST use the
Full
> > version.
>
> If he won't be using the Windows XP OS on the Dell system
> anymore, then Microsoft may allow him to move it to a differerent
> system. A phone call to them is suggested.

Which is what I ended up doing (thanks to the polite responders here
though). I chatted with one of the techs on the phone and she seemed
pretty confident that I won't have a problem making the switch over to
the new computer, even with the Dell "reinstallation" cd. In any case,
she said to call back if there *is* a problem.

DaveW wrote:

> No, it will not work. For a new OS installation you MUST use the Full
> version.

Wrong. All you need is an authorized copy of a supported, 'upgradable',
O.S. for it to verify during the install.

Jonesy

Exactly true David. My computer was assembled a few days ago, and when
I booted the computer off of XP, it began the installation. After a
few mintues, it asked for a copy of the previous OS, and I inserted the
Dell disk. After 30 seconds, it asked for the XP disk and then
finished installation. No problems whatsoever.

In any case, thanks to everyone here once again for helping me out on
this issue.