An ATI video card can damage a pci card in the slot just b..

pinenut

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005

I have an ATI 9200 video card and installed an Intel Pro 100B NIC in
the right next PCI slot. In a day or so, the nic no longer worked
under Solaris 10 x86 although it is still happily performing its job
under Linux and Windows. During the booting time, Solaris lists a
bunch of error messages about the nic.

Therefore, it appears that a minor chip could have been damaged by the
heat generated by the video card although I have a very good
ventilation system installed in my box.

Has anyone experienced similar incidents?

If the card works properly under Linux and Windows then a damaged card is
not likely. However some motherboards are not happy with a card inserted in
the PCI slot next to the AGP slot. It is more likely that this is a conflict
but I have only seen this on rare occasions myself.

Regards,
John O.

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 03:30:08 UTC, PineNut <pine.solution@gmail.com> wrote:

| I have an ATI 9200 video card and installed an Intel Pro 100B NIC in
| the right next PCI slot. In a day or so, the nic no longer worked
| under Solaris 10 x86 although it is still happily performing its job
| under Linux and Windows. During the booting time, Solaris lists a
| bunch of error messages about the nic.
|
| Therefore, it appears that a minor chip could have been damaged by the
| heat generated by the video card although I have a very good
| ventilation system installed in my box.
|
| Has anyone experienced similar incidents?

It's possible that your mainboard's dpmi/escd information was
confused by some obscure conflict between the two cards. Also,
if the nic has nvram onboard, that could have become corrupted.
I've seen both happen.

"PineNut" <pine.solution@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have an ATI 9200 video card and installed an Intel Pro 100B NIC in
> the right next PCI slot. In a day or so, the nic no longer worked
> under Solaris 10 x86 although it is still happily performing its job
> under Linux and Windows. During the booting time, Solaris lists a
> bunch of error messages about the nic.
>
> Therefore, it appears that a minor chip could have been damaged by the
> heat generated by the video card although I have a very good
> ventilation system installed in my box.
>
> Has anyone experienced similar incidents?

Not sure if the heat may damage the card in the next slot, though it may be
conceivable.

Probably some conflict in address ? You can test by moving the NIC to
another
PCI slot. Even in Windows and Linux, this conflict in address happens.

pinenut

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 12:47:22 +0900, "lakesnow" <asleep@night.com>
wrote:

>Not sure if the heat may damage the card in the next slot, though it may be
>conceivable.
>
>Probably some conflict in address ? You can test by moving the NIC to
>another
>PCI slot. Even in Windows and Linux, this conflict in address happens.

It worked before in that location. I moved it to another slot and it
still does not work.

pinenut

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 22:50:07 -0500, "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote:

>If the card works properly under Linux and Windows then a damaged card is
>not likely. However some motherboards are not happy with a card inserted in
>the PCI slot next to the AGP slot. It is more likely that this is a conflict
>but I have only seen this on rare occasions myself.
>
>Regards,
>John O.

I don't have anything in the first PCI slot now and I moved the nic in
question to another location, which did not solve the problem.

pinenut

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005

On 6 Feb 2005 04:07:11 GMT, eponymous@__.mv.com (drgynfly) wrote:

>It's possible that your mainboard's dpmi/escd information was
>confused by some obscure conflict between the two cards. Also,
>if the nic has nvram onboard, that could have become corrupted.
>I've seen both happen.

I had only one card to begin with. Another card was put in because the
first card (the one in question) stop working under Solaris.

Under linux I declined to configure the second card and under Windows
both cards are working ans shown in My Network Places. Under Solaris
only the second card is configured with the DHCP server.

jad

In the CMOS
reset configuration data to YES
PnP os installed to NO

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 11:32:24 -0800, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>In the CMOS
>reset configuration data to YES
>PnP os installed to NO

I am sorry that did not help at all.

The same error messages uttered by the checking devices part of the
boot program. The screen was scrolling too fast to jog down all the
messages. Two of them were something like:
failed DL-BADPPA, failed DL-OUTSTATE. And there are two more.

The card worked well for more than 2 weeks with Solaris without any
change in the BIOS as you suggested.