Microsoft AntiSpyware

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 17, 2005 8:16:26 PM

I have repeatedly tried to download this software from
Microsoft's site. I have system requirements and operate
genuine windows me 4.90.3000. Everytime I download the
message reads "wizard was interrupted before Microsoft
antipyware could be completely installed." and "Your
system has not been modified." Can anyone help me out.
I'm trying to get rid of a stealth LOP Browser Hijacker.
I have tried Ad-aware SE personal with no results.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

More about : microsoft antispyware

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 10:30:12 PM

Download Hijack This! and/or Spybot Search and Destroy.......update, and run
them......should do the trick.
Heirloom, old and must win the lotto

"Henry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have repeatedly tried to download this software from
> Microsoft's site. I have system requirements and operate
> genuine windows me 4.90.3000. Everytime I download the
> message reads "wizard was interrupted before Microsoft
> antipyware could be completely installed." and "Your
> system has not been modified." Can anyone help me out.
> I'm trying to get rid of a stealth LOP Browser Hijacker.
> I have tried Ad-aware SE personal with no results.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 10:59:59 PM

Hi Henry,
Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) isn't compatible with Windows ME. See:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa...

If Spybot and the other suggestions in this thread don't help,
Start at http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 Then go to
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm Work through the preliminary cleaning
steps then post a HijackThis log to the forum at

Be patient. It's a busy forum at times.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Henry" wrote in message news:0a9d01c55b36$72bae620$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> I have repeatedly tried to download this software from
> Microsoft's site. I have system requirements and operate
> genuine windows me 4.90.3000. Everytime I download the
> message reads "wizard was interrupted before Microsoft
> antipyware could be completely installed." and "Your
> system has not been modified." Can anyone help me out.
> I'm trying to get rid of a stealth LOP Browser Hijacker.
> I have tried Ad-aware SE personal with no results.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
Related resources
May 18, 2005 4:29:03 AM

You've downloaded it and the installation is interrupted, or you're trying
to install online? If the latter, try the former. Once the installation file
is downloaded, boot to Safe Mode (tap F5 or F8, Ctrl or Shift, repeatedly
before the Windows splash screen comes up). You ought to be able to install
OK in Safe Mode.

Beware Microsoft AntiSpy is an unfinished product and not very good (yet).
Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/ would be a better
bet, but try both. Also BHODemon:
http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm.

Otherwise search on LOP here: http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

Shane

"Henry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have repeatedly tried to download this software from
> Microsoft's site. I have system requirements and operate
> genuine windows me 4.90.3000. Everytime I download the
> message reads "wizard was interrupted before Microsoft
> antipyware could be completely installed." and "Your
> system has not been modified." Can anyone help me out.
> I'm trying to get rid of a stealth LOP Browser Hijacker.
> I have tried Ad-aware SE personal with no results.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:51:12 AM

Since Microsoft AntiSpyware (MSAS) isn't designed to run on Win 9x systems
such as Win Me, it comes as no real surprise that you encountered
difficulties when trying to install this beta product. MSAS is only
supported on systems running Win2K, XP and Windows 2003.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Henry <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have repeatedly tried to download this software from
> Microsoft's site. I have system requirements and operate
> genuine windows me 4.90.3000. Everytime I download the
> message reads "wizard was interrupted before Microsoft
> antipyware could be completely installed." and "Your
> system has not been modified." Can anyone help me out.
> I'm trying to get rid of a stealth LOP Browser Hijacker.
> I have tried Ad-aware SE personal with no results.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:51:13 AM

That's 'hitting the nail on the head', Mike.
It tells one from the start that Win ME is not included, by not mentioning
it.
For this particular reason I didn't bother myself.
One must pay attention to "applies to:"
For all I can tell, Microsoft is trying really hard to come up with more
than just a compatible anti malware system and as soon as I get WinXP, I'll
take advantage of it.
Thanks.

Harry.

news:o Yd6B3zWFHA.1152@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Since Microsoft AntiSpyware (MSAS) isn't designed to run on Win 9x systems
> such as Win Me, it comes as no real surprise that you encountered
> difficulties when trying to install this beta product. MSAS is only
> supported on systems running Win2K, XP and Windows 2003.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Henry <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I have repeatedly tried to download this software from
> > Microsoft's site. I have system requirements and operate
> > genuine windows me 4.90.3000. Everytime I download the
> > message reads "wizard was interrupted before Microsoft
> > antipyware could be completely installed." and "Your
> > system has not been modified." Can anyone help me out.
> > I'm trying to get rid of a stealth LOP Browser Hijacker.
> > I have tried Ad-aware SE personal with no results.
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks

May 18, 2005 5:09:14 AM

Good point. I'd forgotten entirely about that. Saves me installing it
myself - or trying to! - for the test I had planned.

Shane

> Hi Henry,
> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) isn't compatible with Windows ME.
See:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa...

> If Spybot and the other suggestions in this thread don't help,
> Start at http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 Then go to
> http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm Work through the preliminary cleaning
> steps then post a HijackThis log to the forum at
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30
>
> Be patient. It's a busy forum at times.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE/OE]
>
> "Henry" wrote in message news:0a9d01c55b36$72bae620$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> > I have repeatedly tried to download this software from
> > Microsoft's site. I have system requirements and operate
> > genuine windows me 4.90.3000. Everytime I download the
> > message reads "wizard was interrupted before Microsoft
> > antipyware could be completely installed." and "Your
> > system has not been modified." Can anyone help me out.
> > I'm trying to get rid of a stealth LOP Browser Hijacker.
> > I have tried Ad-aware SE personal with no results.
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks

May 18, 2005 5:28:16 AM

Try CWShredder from

http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_downloa...

and Spybot, Search and Destroy from here:

Run them in Safe Mode.

If they don't work, post back. They're free, btw.

I wouldn't even think about downloading MS' AntiSpyware program :-)

Alias

"Henry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have repeatedly tried to download this software from
> Microsoft's site. I have system requirements and operate
> genuine windows me 4.90.3000. Everytime I download the
> message reads "wizard was interrupted before Microsoft
> antipyware could be completely installed." and "Your
> system has not been modified." Can anyone help me out.
> I'm trying to get rid of a stealth LOP Browser Hijacker.
> I have tried Ad-aware SE personal with no results.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
May 18, 2005 5:28:17 AM

> I wouldn't even think about downloading MS' AntiSpyware program :-)

Not even for a laugh???

<vbg>

Shane
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:28:18 AM

Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I wouldn't even think about downloading MS' AntiSpyware program :-)
>
> Not even for a laugh???
>
> <vbg>

Personally I've found MSAS to be pretty good, especially for a product
still in development and feel it will be a useful tool when finalised. Of
course only of use on systems running an NT based operating system.
--
Mike
May 18, 2005 5:36:01 AM

> Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I wouldn't even think about downloading MS' AntiSpyware program :-)
> >
> > Not even for a laugh???
> >
> > <vbg>
>
> Personally I've found MSAS to be pretty good, especially for a product
> still in development and feel it will be a useful tool when finalised. Of
> course only of use on systems running an NT based operating system.

I was appalled at the false positives I got, Mike, especially for other MS
software and afaik the current build is the same one I tried in January.
Somewhere there's a list of errors that borders on the fantastic - I believe
Silj sent me the link but it escapes me now. What sticks in my mind is it
FP'd on part of IE5 Web Accessories. I couldn't believe they didn't even
test it on their own software before putting it on the 'net.

Shane
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 6:52:10 AM

Shane,

No, the current build is not the same as originally released in January
although still called beta 1 and the definitions file has been regularly
updated taking into account both testers feedback and new malware.

I've been running it since day one and haven't seen one of the false
positives you mention and I have a fair few different Microsoft products
installed across my various systems. Remember that it doesn't check
cookies (and may not in the final version) and is currently detecting more
different nasties than either AdAware or SpyBot.
--
Mike

Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was appalled at the false positives I got, Mike, especially for
> other MS software and afaik the current build is the same one I tried
> in January. Somewhere there's a list of errors that borders on the
> fantastic - I believe Silj sent me the link but it escapes me now.
> What sticks in my mind is it FP'd on part of IE5 Web Accessories. I
> couldn't believe they didn't even test it on their own software
> before putting it on the 'net.
May 18, 2005 7:07:26 AM

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o K91ZG0WFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

>> > Not even for a laugh???
>> >
>> > <vbg>
>>
>> Personally I've found MSAS to be pretty good, especially for a product
>> still in development and feel it will be a useful tool when finalised.
>> Of
>> course only of use on systems running an NT based operating system.
>
> I was appalled at the false positives I got, Mike, especially for other MS
> software and afaik the current build is the same one I tried in January.
> Somewhere there's a list of errors that borders on the fantastic - I
> believe
> Silj sent me the link but it escapes me now. What sticks in my mind is it
> FP'd on part of IE5 Web Accessories. I couldn't believe they didn't even
> test it on their own software before putting it on the 'net.
>
> Shane

Maybe their test *is* "putting it on the 'net". Cheap way to get feedback,
read the newsgroups after turning loose a beta ...

Alias

May 18, 2005 3:04:40 PM

Mike,

Silj has reminded me that it's the IE5 Wallpaper Toy it FP's on. You
probably don't have that installed. There was another FP I saw but can't
recall it.

I see, apparently, false positives are only supposed to be reported by the
vendor. So I don't suppose it'll stop FP-ing on IE5 Wallpaper Toy unless MS
reports it to themselves!

Seriously, your report of never having seen false positives reminds me of
Pest Patrol, which many swear by but whenever I've run it I've had only
false positives (though quite a few more than MSAS gave). Perhaps this is a
consequence of over-aggression. What is worse? False positives are, as
you'll doubtless agree, counter-productive. If it occurs for some but not
others I don't think that makes it acceptable.

btw the link for the list of MSAS issues is:

Shane

> Shane,
>
> No, the current build is not the same as originally released in January
> although still called beta 1 and the definitions file has been regularly
> updated taking into account both testers feedback and new malware.
>
> I've been running it since day one and haven't seen one of the false
> positives you mention and I have a fair few different Microsoft products
> installed across my various systems. Remember that it doesn't check
> cookies (and may not in the final version) and is currently detecting more
> different nasties than either AdAware or SpyBot.
> --
> Mike
>

> Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I was appalled at the false positives I got, Mike, especially for
> > other MS software and afaik the current build is the same one I tried
> > in January. Somewhere there's a list of errors that borders on the
> > fantastic - I believe Silj sent me the link but it escapes me now.
> > What sticks in my mind is it FP'd on part of IE5 Web Accessories. I
> > couldn't believe they didn't even test it on their own software
> > before putting it on the 'net.

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:32:03 PM

Shane,

Thinking back to when I first installed MSAS I realise that I did see and
report a false positive (SearchSquire) which MSAS was reporting as a nasty
when in fact all that was present was an entry in the registry placed
there by Spyware Blaster placing searchsquire.com in the restricted zone.
This and a number of other positives were fixed in subsequent definition
files.

Incidentally I am well aware of marfer's (Mark Ferguson) site as also I am
aware of some of his recent issues with Microsoft. :-)

Nevertheless if those using MSAS don't understand the concept of what a
beta product is and what this means then they shouldn't be using it.
--
Mike M

Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Silj has reminded me that it's the IE5 Wallpaper Toy it FP's on. You
> probably don't have that installed. There was another FP I saw but
> can't recall it.
>
> I see, apparently, false positives are only supposed to be reported
> by the vendor. So I don't suppose it'll stop FP-ing on IE5 Wallpaper
> Toy unless MS reports it to themselves!
>
> Seriously, your report of never having seen false positives reminds
> me of Pest Patrol, which many swear by but whenever I've run it I've
> had only false positives (though quite a few more than MSAS gave).
> Perhaps this is a consequence of over-aggression. What is worse?
> False positives are, as you'll doubtless agree, counter-productive.
> If it occurs for some but not others I don't think that makes it
> acceptable.
>
> btw the link for the list of MSAS issues is:
May 18, 2005 8:11:49 PM

MANY THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED TO MY PLEA FOR HELP.
After many hours of trial and error I believe Spybot
Search and Destroy helped me to eliminate most of the
Spyware on my computer. This site lead me to Microsofts
updates for IE. I believe the "DSO Exploit" has
disappeared. Thanks to everyone and Spybot.

>Download Hijack This! and/or Spybot Search and
Destroy.......update, and run
>them......should do the trick.
> Heirloom, old and must win the
lotto

>"Henry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> I have repeatedly tried to download this software from
>> Microsoft's site. I have system requirements and
operate
>> genuine windows me 4.90.3000. Everytime I download the
>> message reads "wizard was interrupted before Microsoft
>> antipyware could be completely installed." and "Your
>> system has not been modified." Can anyone help me out.
>> I'm trying to get rid of a stealth LOP Browser Hijacker.
>> I have tried Ad-aware SE personal with no results.
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>

>.

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 2:15:25 AM

Glad to hear it, Henry......you did good!
Heirloom, old and formatting the 300G, zzzzzzzzzzz.

!