Soundblaster 16 Pnp

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2005 1:35:51 AM

I'm working on a computer with a Creative CT2950 soundcard which Windows
98SE reports is a Soundblaster 16 PnP. Windows 98SE needed to be
reinstalled on this system and the drivers currently installed are from
Windows. I do not have any documentation or software for this soundcard.
The soundcard has an IDE port on it, there are no jumpers to disable the
IDE on the soundcard so it hogs up an IRQ. Windows also reports an Unknown
Device, which I know is from the soundcard since it wasn't there before the
soundcard was installed. The person who will be using this computer is
elderly and only needs a soundcard so she can hear AOL say, "You've got
mail". That's it. She does not need much soundcard for that. The SB 16
has pretty good sound though, considering its age. I'm just wondering if
anyone knows anything about this card, and if I'd install a different
driver (that I found on driverguide.com) would it fix the Unknown Device
error. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks much.

Patty

More about : soundblaster pnp

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2005 7:21:30 AM

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 03:35:51 UTC, Patty <patty15NOSPAM@softhome.net> wrote:

| I'm working on a computer with a Creative CT2950 soundcard which Windows
| 98SE reports is a Soundblaster 16 PnP. Windows 98SE needed to be
| reinstalled on this system and the drivers currently installed are from
| Windows. I do not have any documentation or software for this soundcard.
| The soundcard has an IDE port on it, there are no jumpers to disable the
| IDE on the soundcard so it hogs up an IRQ. Windows also reports an Unknown
| Device, which I know is from the soundcard since it wasn't there before the
| soundcard was installed. The person who will be using this computer is
| elderly and only needs a soundcard so she can hear AOL say, "You've got
| mail". That's it. She does not need much soundcard for that. The SB 16
| has pretty good sound though, considering its age. I'm just wondering if
| anyone knows anything about this card, and if I'd install a different
| driver (that I found on driverguide.com) would it fix the Unknown Device
| error. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks much.
|
| Patty

I think the unknown device is probably either the joystick port
or the card's ide. An sb16 wouldn't have much else that the driver
didn't already find. It doesn't seem like either of those things
will be used, it's probably ok to ignore the error if windows will
let you?

Meliss
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2005 7:21:31 AM

On 6 Feb 2005 04:21:30 GMT, drgynfly wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 03:35:51 UTC, Patty <patty15NOSPAM@softhome.net> wrote:
>
>| I'm working on a computer with a Creative CT2950 soundcard which Windows
>| 98SE reports is a Soundblaster 16 PnP. Windows 98SE needed to be
>| reinstalled on this system and the drivers currently installed are from
>| Windows. I do not have any documentation or software for this soundcard.
>| The soundcard has an IDE port on it, there are no jumpers to disable the
>| IDE on the soundcard so it hogs up an IRQ. Windows also reports an Unknown
>| Device, which I know is from the soundcard since it wasn't there before the
>| soundcard was installed. The person who will be using this computer is
>| elderly and only needs a soundcard so she can hear AOL say, "You've got
>| mail". That's it. She does not need much soundcard for that. The SB 16
>| has pretty good sound though, considering its age. I'm just wondering if
>| anyone knows anything about this card, and if I'd install a different
>| driver (that I found on driverguide.com) would it fix the Unknown Device
>| error. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks much.
>|
>| Patty
>
> I think the unknown device is probably either the joystick port
> or the card's ide. An sb16 wouldn't have much else that the driver
> didn't already find. It doesn't seem like either of those things
> will be used, it's probably ok to ignore the error if windows will
> let you?
>
> Meliss

Both the joystick and the IDE show up correctly in Device Manager. There's
got to be something else since both those show up. Windows lets you ignore
the Unknown Device and appears to work properly, I was just trying to
figure out what else it could be. Thanks.

Patty
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2005 9:34:57 AM

Patty <patty15NOSPAM@softhome.net> wrote:
>On 6 Feb 2005 04:21:30 GMT, drgynfly wrote:
>> <patty15NOSPAM@softhome.net> wrote:

>>> I'm working on a computer with a Creative CT2950 soundcard which
>>> Windows 98SE reports is a Soundblaster 16 PnP. Windows 98SE
>>> needed to be reinstalled on this system and the drivers
>>> currently installed are from Windows. I do not have any
>>> documentation or software for this soundcard. The soundcard has
>>> an IDE port on it, there are no jumpers to disable the IDE on
>>> the soundcard so it hogs up an IRQ. Windows also reports an
>>> Unknown Device, which I know is from the soundcard since it
>>> wasn't there before the soundcard was installed. The person who
>>> will be using this computer is elderly and only needs a
>>> soundcard so she can hear AOL say, "You've got mail". That's
>>> it. She does not need much soundcard for that. The SB 16 has
>>> pretty good sound though, considering its age. I'm just
>>> wondering if anyone knows anything about this card, and if I'd
>>> install a different driver (that I found on driverguide.com)
>>> would it fix the Unknown Device error. Any info would be very
>>> helpful. Thanks much.

>> I think the unknown device is probably either the joystick port
>> or the card's ide. An sb16 wouldn't have much else that the
>> driver didn't already find. It doesn't seem like either of those
>> things will be used, it's probably ok to ignore the error if
>> windows will let you?

>Both the joystick and the IDE show up correctly in Device Manager.
>There's got to be something else since both those show up. Windows
>lets you ignore the Unknown Device and appears to work properly, I
>was just trying to figure out what else it could be. Thanks.

If you can do MSN messenger, put me on your contact list.
I can figure out what is wrong using NetMeeting...
lshaping hotmail com

--
United States and British intelligence agencies admittedly break the
law while spying on each other. United States and British

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 06:34:57 GMT, John Doe wrote:

> If you can do MSN messenger, put me on your contact list.
> I can figure out what is wrong using NetMeeting...
> lshaping hotmail com

I have MSN Messenger, but this particular computer is not online and
doesn't have a NIC card in it to connect to my internet.

Patty
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2005 1:00:57 PM

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 06:34:57 GMT, John Doe wrote:

> If you can do MSN messenger, put me on your contact list.
> I can figure out what is wrong using NetMeeting...
> lshaping hotmail com

This is interesting. In the notes for the updated driver software that I
downloaded from the Creative website it says:

> Rev 7 [9 Dec 96]
>
> 1. Includes Vibra16CL and AWE64 support.
>
> 2. Solves the Unknown Device problem in Device Manager.

So, why wouldn't Windows 98SE have this update already in their software
drivers (it's from December 1996)? I'll install this update and see if it
fixes the problem. I'll let you know if it does.

Thanks.

Patty
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2005 2:26:52 PM

In article <fton63i9wh2h$.9qxgqgeoj4gi$.dlg@40tude.net>, Patty says...

> Both the joystick and the IDE show up correctly in Device Manager. There's
> got to be something else since both those show up. Windows lets you ignore
> the Unknown Device and appears to work properly, I was just trying to
> figure out what else it could be. Thanks.

Are you sure its the IDE controller on the card? Do you have two actual
CONTROLLERS, not a primary and secondary, listed?

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2005 2:26:53 PM

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 11:26:52 -0000, Conor wrote:

> In article <fton63i9wh2h$.9qxgqgeoj4gi$.dlg@40tude.net>, Patty says...
>
>> Both the joystick and the IDE show up correctly in Device Manager. There's
>> got to be something else since both those show up. Windows lets you ignore
>> the Unknown Device and appears to work properly, I was just trying to
>> figure out what else it could be. Thanks.
>>
> Are you sure its the IDE controller on the card? Do you have two actual
> CONTROLLERS, not a primary and secondary, listed?

Specs that I have found online for the card report the IDE connector (which
is marked on the card is is very obvious as to what it is because of size,
number of pins, etc.), a WaveBlaster daughter board connector and a Modem
feature connector. There is another set of pins on the card that are
similar to the IDE connector, but it has fewer pins so it is shorter in
length. I could not find a marking on the card indicating what it is for.
Perhaps the Daughter board connector or Modem feature connector is the
culprit? I'm wondering if I upgrade or install drivers in Device Manager
and point the Unknown Device to the files in the drivers file I downloaded,
will Windows know what .inf file it's looking for or will it just pick the
first one it finds?

Patty
February 6, 2005 2:26:54 PM

IDE CONNECTOR = CD-ROM controller, used often in the olden days. ISA
or PCI?

"Patty" <patty15NOSPAM@softhome.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 11:26:52 -0000, Conor wrote:
>
> > In article <fton63i9wh2h$.9qxgqgeoj4gi$.dlg@40tude.net>, Patty
says...

> >> Both the joystick and the IDE show up correctly in Device
Manager. There's
> >> got to be something else since both those show up. Windows lets
you ignore
> >> the Unknown Device and appears to work properly, I was just
trying to
> >> figure out what else it could be. Thanks.
> >>
> > Are you sure its the IDE controller on the card? Do you have two
actual
> > CONTROLLERS, not a primary and secondary, listed?
>
> Specs that I have found online for the card report the IDE connector
(which
> is marked on the card is is very obvious as to what it is because of
size,
> number of pins, etc.), a WaveBlaster daughter board connector and a
Modem
> feature connector. There is another set of pins on the card that
are
> similar to the IDE connector, but it has fewer pins so it is shorter
in
> length. I could not find a marking on the card indicating what it
is for.
> Perhaps the Daughter board connector or Modem feature connector is
the
> culprit? I'm wondering if I upgrade or install drivers in Device
Manager
> and point the Unknown Device to the files in the drivers file I
downloaded,
> will Windows know what .inf file it's looking for or will it just
pick the
> first one it finds?
>
> Patty
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2005 2:56:35 PM

Good news! It's fixed now. The updated driver from the Creative website
DID fix the Unknown Device Problem in Device Manager. Just seems silly
that M$ would have such an old driver available in the Windows 98SE OS
(before 1996???) that did not have the fixes in it. Whatever, the Unknown
Device is now gone, the soundcard works good and I'm done!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and help.

Patty
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2005 6:05:16 PM

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 10:50:52 -0800, JAD wrote:

> IDE CONNECTOR = CD-ROM controller, used often in the olden days. ISA
> or PCI?

ISA card. Yes, I remember when CD-ROMS weren't standard and some cards had
connectors for particular brands of CD-ROMS. This was in the very, very
early days before everyone settled on standard IDE.

The problems with the card have been fixed. The updated drivers took care
of the Unknown Device problem in Device Manager but I still have the
Creative IDE Controller listed under Hard Disk Controllers, but I can't
figure any way to get rid of it, since there are no jumpers on the board to
disable the IDE connector (controller).

But, it works and Windows seems happy.

Patty
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 10, 2005 7:37:41 PM

In article <1fiprw784lwxw$.ajifeaaou5en.dlg@40tude.net>, Patty says...

> Specs that I have found online for the card report the IDE connector (which
> is marked on the card is is very obvious as to what it is because of size,
> number of pins, etc.), a WaveBlaster daughter board connector and a Modem
> feature connector. There is another set of pins on the card that are
> similar to the IDE connector, but it has fewer pins so it is shorter in
> length. I could not find a marking on the card indicating what it is for.

Early Mitsumi,Panasonic or Sony CDROM drives which used a proprietry
interface.

> Perhaps the Daughter board connector or Modem feature connector is the
> culprit?

Nope.

> I'm wondering if I upgrade or install drivers in Device Manager
> and point the Unknown Device to the files in the drivers file I downloaded,
> will Windows know what .inf file it's looking for or will it just pick the
> first one it finds?

It'll know what its looking for.

--
Conor