Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Canon multifunction printers and SP2

Tags:
  • Printers
  • Canon
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 7:42:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Hi,

I saw this message in microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

"SP2 causes Canon Multfunction Printers to fail:

After installing SP2 my Canon Multipass F30 fails to print. I get an
error message: "Unable to communicate with the device. Please start
MPService from the Services applet in the Control Panel." If I
restart MPService, the printer will work for about 5 minutes before
the message pops up again. After searching the web, I have found that
this is true for any Canon multifunction printer. Canon's support
page has no updates. Please help."

I have an MP360 - has anyone had any problems with this printer after
installing SP2 (solutions to any problems would be appreciated too!)

Oops - nearly forgot the message id:

xoUZc.42$zB.2928@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech

More about : canon multifunction printers sp2

Anonymous
September 22, 2004 6:50:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
--
Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
www.coribright.com

"John Latter" <jorolat@msn.com> wrote in message
news:8lqtk0htql84u81l10tjdhnsdtn29ioh3r@4ax.com...
> Hi,
>
> I saw this message in microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
>
> "SP2 causes Canon Multfunction Printers to fail:
>
> After installing SP2 my Canon Multipass F30 fails to print. I get an
> error message: "Unable to communicate with the device. Please start
> MPService from the Services applet in the Control Panel." If I
> restart MPService, the printer will work for about 5 minutes before
> the message pops up again. After searching the web, I have found that
> this is true for any Canon multifunction printer. Canon's support
> page has no updates. Please help."
>
> I have an MP360 - has anyone had any problems with this printer after
> installing SP2 (solutions to any problems would be appreciated too!)
>
> Oops - nearly forgot the message id:
>
> xoUZc.42$zB.2928@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au
>
> --
>
> John Latter
>
> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
> homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
>
> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech
>
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 12:48:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 02:50:30 GMT, "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com>
wrote:

>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
>--
>Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>www.coribright.com

Thanks Cari :) 

John

>
>"John Latter" <jorolat@msn.com> wrote in message
>news:8lqtk0htql84u81l10tjdhnsdtn29ioh3r@4ax.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I saw this message in microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
>>
>> "SP2 causes Canon Multfunction Printers to fail:
>>
>> After installing SP2 my Canon Multipass F30 fails to print. I get an
>> error message: "Unable to communicate with the device. Please start
>> MPService from the Services applet in the Control Panel." If I
>> restart MPService, the printer will work for about 5 minutes before
>> the message pops up again. After searching the web, I have found that
>> this is true for any Canon multifunction printer. Canon's support
>> page has no updates. Please help."
>>
>> I have an MP360 - has anyone had any problems with this printer after
>> installing SP2 (solutions to any problems would be appreciated too!)
>>
>> Oops - nearly forgot the message id:
>>
>> xoUZc.42$zB.2928@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au
>>
>> --
>>
>> John Latter
>>
>> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
>> homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
>> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
>>
>> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech
>>
>

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech
Related resources
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 10:26:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Unfortunately this Microsoft hotfix is useless on an F30 and ONLY pertains
to the F20, F60 and F80 which use the loopback port.
The others suffer from some other change that was made in SP2's Security
Center area and is odd. I have installed an F50 that works fine on one SP2
system and gives the error on another unless I stop the Security Center
service. I have been told that owners of F50 and other models should eye the
Canon Website as an updated driver will be released soon to address this
problem.


"Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
news:WL54d.6769$gG4.385@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "John Latter" <jorolat@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:8lqtk0htql84u81l10tjdhnsdtn29ioh3r@4ax.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I saw this message in microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
>>
>> "SP2 causes Canon Multfunction Printers to fail:
>>
>> After installing SP2 my Canon Multipass F30 fails to print. I get an
>> error message: "Unable to communicate with the device. Please start
>> MPService from the Services applet in the Control Panel." If I
>> restart MPService, the printer will work for about 5 minutes before
>> the message pops up again. After searching the web, I have found that
>> this is true for any Canon multifunction printer. Canon's support
>> page has no updates. Please help."
>>
>> I have an MP360 - has anyone had any problems with this printer after
>> installing SP2 (solutions to any problems would be appreciated too!)
>>
>> Oops - nearly forgot the message id:
>>
>> xoUZc.42$zB.2928@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au
>>
>> --
>>
>> John Latter
>>
>> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
>> homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
>> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
>>
>> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech
>>
>
>
>
September 26, 2004 11:13:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Cari wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020

Thanks to you and John Latter for your posts. I had the same "Unable to
communicate with the device. Please start MPService from the Services
applet in the Control Panel." error message on my F20. Downloading and
installing the patch given in the above link fixed the problem.

Of course, this happened only after I'd cleaned all cable connections,
and tried unsuccessfully to reinstall Canon's drivers, thinking I had a
real hardware problem. After SP2, I couldn't reinstall Canon's drivers
without the M$ patch. (For anybody who's got themselves into the same
fix - you *must* have paper in the printer for a driver reinstall to
work after the M$ patch is installed. Canon should fix that.)

As of Sat, 9/25, M$'s Update did not show the above link as an available
update.

FWIW, Canon has a link

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=OSCompa...

that has a downlosd that they claim fixes F20, F60, and F80.

However, as of right now (early Sun eve.), its not working right. For
F30, they give a manual workaround, but say a driver fix is (still) in
the works.

So I give Canon credit. Its inexcusable to change OS behaviour, which is
what M$ did.
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 12:19:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:13:15 -0700, user@domain.invalid wrote:

>Cari wrote:
>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
>
>Thanks to you and John Latter for your posts. I had the same "Unable to
>communicate with the device. Please start MPService from the Services
>applet in the Control Panel." error message on my F20. Downloading and
>installing the patch given in the above link fixed the problem.
>
>Of course, this happened only after I'd cleaned all cable connections,
>and tried unsuccessfully to reinstall Canon's drivers, thinking I had a
>real hardware problem. After SP2, I couldn't reinstall Canon's drivers
>without the M$ patch. (For anybody who's got themselves into the same
>fix - you *must* have paper in the printer for a driver reinstall to
>work after the M$ patch is installed. Canon should fix that.)
>
>As of Sat, 9/25, M$'s Update did not show the above link as an available
>update.
>
>FWIW, Canon has a link
>
>http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=OSCompa...
>
>that has a downlosd that they claim fixes F20, F60, and F80.
>
>However, as of right now (early Sun eve.), its not working right. For
>F30, they give a manual workaround, but say a driver fix is (still) in
>the works.
>
>So I give Canon credit. Its inexcusable to change OS behaviour, which is
>what M$ did.

I'm glad the posts were of use User - as it turned out, my MP360
appears to be working ok. I imagine "you *must* have paper in the
printer for a driver reinstall to work after the M$ patch is
installed" is going to be useful for somebody though!

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 1:12:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I recently installed SP2 and had problems getting my F50 to start.
After a short conversation with Canon it was running fine.Then this
past weekend I installed a new Gig-byte motherboard 7N400 Pro2 and in
doing so I had to run a repair on my OS and then reinstall SP2. All
went well until I tried to get the F50 to work. After two days on my
own I called Canon and had a two hour conversation with them. Finally
they said there was a problem with my computer and let me go off on
my own. All my USB ports work fine, and I have a Canon I960 also and
it works fine. I've updated all my drivers and made several long
distance calls but still have a printer I can't use. Since the
printer worked before with SP2 installed I'm stumped as to why it
won't work now with the only change being a different motherboard.
Any ideas!!
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 7:57:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

You need the hotfix:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
--
Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
www.coribright.com

"hudsonbl" <bob@bobhudson-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:4163469b$1_1@alt.athenanews.com...
>I recently installed SP2 and had problems getting my F50 to start.
> After a short conversation with Canon it was running fine.Then this
> past weekend I installed a new Gig-byte motherboard 7N400 Pro2 and in
> doing so I had to run a repair on my OS and then reinstall SP2. All
> went well until I tried to get the F50 to work. After two days on my
> own I called Canon and had a two hour conversation with them. Finally
> they said there was a problem with my computer and let me go off on
> my own. All my USB ports work fine, and I have a Canon I960 also and
> it works fine. I've updated all my drivers and made several long
> distance calls but still have a printer I can't use. Since the
> printer worked before with SP2 installed I'm stumped as to why it
> won't work now with the only change being a different motherboard.
> Any ideas!!
>
>
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 3:07:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Problem is (as I have mentioned before) this hotfix has absolutely nothing
to do with the issue with the F50 under SP2 as the F50 does not use the
loopback IP.
This fix is for the F20/60/80 which use a different service version.




"Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
news:y2K8d.4783$M05.3746@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> You need the hotfix:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "hudsonbl" <bob@bobhudson-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> news:4163469b$1_1@alt.athenanews.com...
>>I recently installed SP2 and had problems getting my F50 to start.
>> After a short conversation with Canon it was running fine.Then this
>> past weekend I installed a new Gig-byte motherboard 7N400 Pro2 and in
>> doing so I had to run a repair on my OS and then reinstall SP2. All
>> went well until I tried to get the F50 to work. After two days on my
>> own I called Canon and had a two hour conversation with them. Finally
>> they said there was a problem with my computer and let me go off on
>> my own. All my USB ports work fine, and I have a Canon I960 also and
>> it works fine. I've updated all my drivers and made several long
>> distance calls but still have a printer I can't use. Since the
>> printer worked before with SP2 installed I'm stumped as to why it
>> won't work now with the only change being a different motherboard.
>> Any ideas!!
>>
>>
>
>
>
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 3:08:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"hudsonbl" <bob@bobhudson-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:4163469b$1_1@alt.athenanews.com...
>I recently installed SP2 and had problems getting my F50 to start.
> After a short conversation with Canon it was running fine.Then this
> past weekend I installed a new Gig-byte motherboard 7N400 Pro2 and in
> doing so I had to run a repair on my OS and then reinstall SP2. All
> went well until I tried to get the F50 to work. After two days on my
> own I called Canon and had a two hour conversation with them. Finally
> they said there was a problem with my computer and let me go off on
> my own. All my USB ports work fine, and I have a Canon I960 also and
> it works fine. I've updated all my drivers and made several long
> distance calls but still have a printer I can't use. Since the
> printer worked before with SP2 installed I'm stumped as to why it
> won't work now with the only change being a different motherboard.
> Any ideas!!
>

What is it doing on the new Mobo?
!