Canon multifunction printers and SP2

Hi,

I saw this message in microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

"SP2 causes Canon Multfunction Printers to fail:

After installing SP2 my Canon Multipass F30 fails to print. I get an
error message: "Unable to communicate with the device. Please start
MPService from the Services applet in the Control Panel." If I
restart MPService, the printer will work for about 5 minutes before
the message pops up again. After searching the web, I have found that
this is true for any Canon multifunction printer. Canon's support
page has no updates. Please help."

I have an MP360 - has anyone had any problems with this printer after
installing SP2 (solutions to any problems would be appreciated too!)

Oops - nearly forgot the message id:

xoUZc.42$zB.2928@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
More about canon multifunction printers

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
    www.coribright.com

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 02:50:30 GMT, "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com>
    wrote:

    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
    >--
    >Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    >www.coribright.com

    Thanks Cari :)

    John

    >"John Latter" <jorolat@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I saw this message in microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
    >>
    >> "SP2 causes Canon Multfunction Printers to fail:
    >>
    >> After installing SP2 my Canon Multipass F30 fails to print. I get an
    >> error message: "Unable to communicate with the device. Please start
    >> MPService from the Services applet in the Control Panel." If I
    >> restart MPService, the printer will work for about 5 minutes before
    >> the message pops up again. After searching the web, I have found that
    >> this is true for any Canon multifunction printer. Canon's support
    >> page has no updates. Please help."
    >>
    >> I have an MP360 - has anyone had any problems with this printer after
    >> installing SP2 (solutions to any problems would be appreciated too!)
    >>
    >> Oops - nearly forgot the message id:
    >>
    >> xoUZc.42$zB.2928@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> John Latter
    >>
    >> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    >> homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    >> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >>
    >> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

    Unfortunately this Microsoft hotfix is useless on an F30 and ONLY pertains
    to the F20, F60 and F80 which use the loopback port.
    The others suffer from some other change that was made in SP2's Security
    Center area and is odd. I have installed an F50 that works fine on one SP2
    system and gives the error on another unless I stop the Security Center
    service. I have been told that owners of F50 and other models should eye the
    Canon Website as an updated driver will be released soon to address this
    problem.

    Cari wrote:

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020

    Thanks to you and John Latter for your posts. I had the same "Unable to
    communicate with the device. Please start MPService from the Services
    applet in the Control Panel." error message on my F20. Downloading and
    installing the patch given in the above link fixed the problem.

    Of course, this happened only after I'd cleaned all cable connections,
    and tried unsuccessfully to reinstall Canon's drivers, thinking I had a
    real hardware problem. After SP2, I couldn't reinstall Canon's drivers
    without the M$ patch. (For anybody who's got themselves into the same
    fix - you *must* have paper in the printer for a driver reinstall to
    work after the M$ patch is installed. Canon should fix that.)

    As of Sat, 9/25, M$'s Update did not show the above link as an available
    update.

    FWIW, Canon has a link

    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=OSCompatibilitySupportAct&keycode=windr&fcategoryid=238&modelid=8051#New%20Window

    that has a downlosd that they claim fixes F20, F60, and F80.

    However, as of right now (early Sun eve.), its not working right. For
    F30, they give a manual workaround, but say a driver fix is (still) in
    the works.

    So I give Canon credit. Its inexcusable to change OS behaviour, which is
    what M$ did.

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:13:15 -0700, user@domain.invalid wrote:

    >Cari wrote:
    >
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
    >
    >Thanks to you and John Latter for your posts. I had the same "Unable to
    >communicate with the device. Please start MPService from the Services
    >applet in the Control Panel." error message on my F20. Downloading and
    >installing the patch given in the above link fixed the problem.
    >
    >Of course, this happened only after I'd cleaned all cable connections,
    >and tried unsuccessfully to reinstall Canon's drivers, thinking I had a
    >real hardware problem. After SP2, I couldn't reinstall Canon's drivers
    >without the M$ patch. (For anybody who's got themselves into the same
    >fix - you *must* have paper in the printer for a driver reinstall to
    >work after the M$ patch is installed. Canon should fix that.)
    >
    >As of Sat, 9/25, M$'s Update did not show the above link as an available
    >update.
    >
    >FWIW, Canon has a link
    >
    >http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=OSCompatibilitySupportAct&keycode=windr&fcategoryid=238&modelid=8051#New%20Window
    >
    >that has a downlosd that they claim fixes F20, F60, and F80.
    >
    >However, as of right now (early Sun eve.), its not working right. For
    >F30, they give a manual workaround, but say a driver fix is (still) in
    >the works.
    >
    >So I give Canon credit. Its inexcusable to change OS behaviour, which is
    >what M$ did.

    I'm glad the posts were of use User - as it turned out, my MP360
    appears to be working ok. I imagine "you *must* have paper in the
    printer for a driver reinstall to work after the M$ patch is
    installed" is going to be useful for somebody though!

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

    I recently installed SP2 and had problems getting my F50 to start.
    After a short conversation with Canon it was running fine.Then this
    past weekend I installed a new Gig-byte motherboard 7N400 Pro2 and in
    doing so I had to run a repair on my OS and then reinstall SP2. All
    went well until I tried to get the F50 to work. After two days on my
    own I called Canon and had a two hour conversation with them. Finally
    they said there was a problem with my computer and let me go off on
    my own. All my USB ports work fine, and I have a Canon I960 also and
    it works fine. I've updated all my drivers and made several long
    distance calls but still have a printer I can't use. Since the
    printer worked before with SP2 installed I'm stumped as to why it
    won't work now with the only change being a different motherboard.
    Any ideas!!

    You need the hotfix:

    "hudsonbl" <bob@bobhudson-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >I recently installed SP2 and had problems getting my F50 to start.
    > After a short conversation with Canon it was running fine.Then this
    > past weekend I installed a new Gig-byte motherboard 7N400 Pro2 and in
    > doing so I had to run a repair on my OS and then reinstall SP2. All
    > went well until I tried to get the F50 to work. After two days on my
    > own I called Canon and had a two hour conversation with them. Finally
    > they said there was a problem with my computer and let me go off on
    > my own. All my USB ports work fine, and I have a Canon I960 also and
    > it works fine. I've updated all my drivers and made several long
    > distance calls but still have a printer I can't use. Since the
    > printer worked before with SP2 installed I'm stumped as to why it
    > won't work now with the only change being a different motherboard.
    > Any ideas!!

    Problem is (as I have mentioned before) this hotfix has absolutely nothing
    to do with the issue with the F50 under SP2 as the F50 does not use the
    loopback IP.
    This fix is for the F20/60/80 which use a different service version.

    > You need the hotfix:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "hudsonbl" <bob@bobhudson-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >>I recently installed SP2 and had problems getting my F50 to start.
    >> After a short conversation with Canon it was running fine.Then this
    >> past weekend I installed a new Gig-byte motherboard 7N400 Pro2 and in
    >> doing so I had to run a repair on my OS and then reinstall SP2. All
    >> went well until I tried to get the F50 to work. After two days on my
    >> own I called Canon and had a two hour conversation with them. Finally
    >> they said there was a problem with my computer and let me go off on
    >> my own. All my USB ports work fine, and I have a Canon I960 also and
    >> it works fine. I've updated all my drivers and made several long
    >> distance calls but still have a printer I can't use. Since the
    >> printer worked before with SP2 installed I'm stumped as to why it
    >> won't work now with the only change being a different motherboard.
    >> Any ideas!!

    "hudsonbl" <bob@bobhudson-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >I recently installed SP2 and had problems getting my F50 to start.
    > After a short conversation with Canon it was running fine.Then this
    > past weekend I installed a new Gig-byte motherboard 7N400 Pro2 and in
    > doing so I had to run a repair on my OS and then reinstall SP2. All
    > went well until I tried to get the F50 to work. After two days on my
    > own I called Canon and had a two hour conversation with them. Finally
    > they said there was a problem with my computer and let me go off on
    > my own. All my USB ports work fine, and I have a Canon I960 also and
    > it works fine. I've updated all my drivers and made several long
    > distance calls but still have a printer I can't use. Since the
    > printer worked before with SP2 installed I'm stumped as to why it
    > won't work now with the only change being a different motherboard.
    > Any ideas!!

    What is it doing on the new Mobo?

Printers Canon Peripherals