Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Nvidia Granted Patent For Hybrid Graphics Systems

Last response: in News comments
August 7, 2012 12:19:06 AM

Another patent granted, another blow to technological progress.
August 7, 2012 12:22:01 AM

Not really... I mean, I like AMD cards and whatnot but I don't see how this is holding anyone back.
Related resources
August 7, 2012 12:29:43 AM

snowzsanNot really... I mean, I like AMD cards and whatnot but I don't see how this is holding anyone back.

Mmm.... if they wanted to be pricks they could go after AMD for their implementation of this. Not sure how far they would get, but it is something to keep in mind.
August 7, 2012 12:35:45 AM

but... amd has been doing this for years
August 7, 2012 12:47:29 AM

in two years this patent wouldn't even be worth a dollar as the intel, ARM and AMD APU`s will kill this patent before it even comes to court.

Already we are seeing less and less discreet GPU`s, apart from gamers laptops, even that is a very small market
August 7, 2012 12:58:16 AM

What was that one company that was developing a software that allowed the motherboard to switch between the discrete Nivida/AMD GPU and integrated Intel GPU?
August 7, 2012 12:59:27 AM

This is not your vague Apple patent. AMD uses a different technology to do graphics switching. So no worry. Although I believe Nvidia's is slightly better than AMD's.
August 7, 2012 1:17:43 AM

Will it affect LucidTechnology and their implementation on Intel internal GPU with discrete GPU? I hope not...
a b Î Nvidia
August 7, 2012 1:43:00 AM

darkavenger123Will it affect LucidTechnology and their implementation on Intel internal GPU with discrete GPU? I hope not...

+1 this is exactly what Virtu does. And it does work far better then I had guessed it would.
August 7, 2012 1:53:41 AM

cuecuemoreAnother patent granted, another blow to technological progress.

At least Nvidia has the means and intent to actually produce this technology. This is not what I would call patent trolling because it is quite obviously a patent specific to the company's intended development roadmap, and does not prevent any other company's existing technology from being produced or innovated upon.
August 7, 2012 2:02:17 AM

christarpbut... amd has been doing this for years

There are multiple ways of doing everything, and NVIDIA figured out another way of combining graphics systems.
Anonymous
August 7, 2012 2:06:42 AM

I want to see discrete cards with no display port now.
August 7, 2012 2:16:39 AM

graphic cards seem to be getting crazier and crazier.
August 7, 2012 2:21:57 AM

I don't fully agree here. The original idea of patent is to protect business that come up with something innovating. When somebody copycat an idea, the original companies lose money from R&D. The copycat does nothing. This patient is legit. Either AMD have some alternative (like the 30 different ways you can make an abs cruncher and not infringe on a patent) or they pay royalist to this patent. Many company pay patent to other when they use same idea all the time. I don't remembered how long, but after a few (15-30) years the patent is up and becomes general practice and nobody has to pay anybody.

Where patient went wrong is patent trolling. Lawyers from firm that don't produce anything buying idea and not producing.
August 7, 2012 2:36:43 AM

krenotenzeI want to see discrete cards with no display port now.

What's wrong with display port? I'd rather see monitor manufacturers drop DVI and VGA so GPUs can have better ventilation and more ports.
August 7, 2012 3:41:03 AM

nVidia CEO: "FU Virtu with your Intel IGPus" :p 
August 7, 2012 4:12:25 AM

markemin two years this patent wouldn't even be worth a dollar as the intel, ARM and AMD APU`s will kill this patent before it even comes to court.Already we are seeing less and less discreet GPU`s, apart from gamers laptops, even that is a very small market

yes only on gamer computers....
Do you have ever heard about graphic acceleration?
Like in hospital system for imaging?
Or for research in high-energy particles?
Or for simulation of physical systems in automobile and aeronautical industry?
Or for measure acquisition in various areas?
and so on...
Maybe for people knowing nothing about computer than COD and angry birds, DGPU are rare products but there is a whole world which need computation power and thus DGPU...
August 7, 2012 4:43:24 AM

Im just happy that today technology isn't about new things, its about new patents and laws.

TomsLegalforum perhaps?
August 7, 2012 4:44:51 AM

altrissyes only on gamer computers....Do you have ever heard about graphic acceleration?Like in hospital system for imaging?Or for research in high-energy particles?Or for simulation of physical systems in automobile and aeronautical industry?Or for measure acquisition in various areas?and so on...Maybe for people knowing nothing about computer than COD and angry birds, DGPU are rare products but there is a whole world which need computation power and thus DGPU...

I love this response. Somehow in the last ten or so years. computers became defined as a tool used by someone with a sub 100 IQ, as opposed to the original concept as it being a tool of science. Today the idea of using a computer for something other than idiotspeek is ridiculed. I suspect most of those who make these statements fall in the sub 100 IQ crowd.
August 7, 2012 5:07:25 AM

Why do they call it "discreet" graphics? Nothing discreet about a standalone card. they should simply call it standalone.
August 7, 2012 11:09:48 AM

if you guys want to read the patent:

See that the patent covers mainly 21 claims. Surely there's gaps in this patent, no need to worry about the "another blow to technologic progress". Nvidia only trying to protect it's intelectual property.
Just for info: Nvidia have 1474 patents. AMD have 9820. (in US Patent database only)
August 7, 2012 11:29:47 AM

True it is...
August 7, 2012 12:09:05 PM

vitornob said:
if you guys want to read the patent:

See that the patent covers mainly 21 claims. Surely there's gaps in this patent, no need to worry about the "another blow to technologic progress". Nvidia only trying to protect it's intelectual property.
Just for info: Nvidia have 1474 patents. AMD have 9820. (in US Patent database only)

it's not the number of patents, it's the quality of them that counts..
Anonymous
August 7, 2012 12:53:00 PM

Optimus is not supported on linux.These companies like Nvidia, SiS and the like are effectively suffocating the linux platform; releasing hardware technologies without proper support.

I myself have given up on linux for now because of this optimus thing.

This technology is to save power, which is most meaningful now on laptops running batteries.And because laptops don't run that much gaming, that's the strength point for linux.because i know of a lot of people who run windows machines now only to play games.
And hardware support for this specific technology should be available for linux....

pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff!
August 7, 2012 1:00:22 PM

How about just making a decent integrated GPU that has intelligent power profiles via drivers. :) 

Anyway, having dealt with Optimus hybrid drivers and related headaches, they can have all the patents on it they want--I'll never buy another computer that uses it.
August 7, 2012 1:51:17 PM

mhAMDyOptimus is not supported on linux.These companies like Nvidia, SiS and the like are effectively suffocating the linux platform; releasing hardware technologies without proper support.I myself have given up on linux for now because of this optimus thing.This technology is to save power, which is most meaningful now on laptops running batteries.And because laptops don't run that much gaming, that's the strength point for linux.because i know of a lot of people who run windows machines now only to play games.And hardware support for this specific technology should be available for linux....pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff!

Still cant watch Netflix on linux :( 
August 7, 2012 3:21:35 PM

It would be cool if they can combine integrated and discrete graphic power like a car that uses electric and gas. I guess that's not possible... yet. Granted, integrated graphic wouldn't amount to much but still it would be nice to be able to utilize it.
August 7, 2012 3:44:40 PM

I didn't read the actual patent text, but in the quote from the article, it mentions that
Quote:
the graphics driver transmits the rendered images from the DGPU to the IGPU local memory and, then, to the IGPU DAC.

If that's how the actual patent is written, then they've already boxed themselves out of applying this patent to any non-analog display output. So it can't be applied to a system using solely DVI-I, HDMI, or DisplayPort, but rather only to systems using VGA outputs from the IGPU. And also, I would raise the question of whether an APU is considered to contain an IGPU, or whether it is a different component. It depends on how the patent defines IGPU. So in the end, this patent may be essentially worthless before it ever saw a courtroom.
August 7, 2012 4:12:24 PM

altrissyes only on gamer computers....Do you have ever heard about graphic acceleration?Like in hospital system for imaging?Or for research in high-energy particles?Or for simulation of physical systems in automobile and aeronautical industry?Or for measure acquisition in various areas?and so on...Maybe for people knowing nothing about computer than COD and angry birds, DGPU are rare products but there is a whole world which need computation power and thus DGPU...

but those things won't use optimus, they aren't mobile stuff
August 7, 2012 5:23:11 PM

...and to think that NVIDIA is not in the integrated graphics business anymore since they quit manufacturing chipsets.
August 7, 2012 6:11:58 PM

Spoken like a good Communist :-)

Patents allow companies to protect intellectual property and make money - it's a part of basic Capitalism.

Without patents more people would have less incentive to create new things because someone would come and steal your hard work....

I don't know what kind of utopian world you wanna live in but everyone patents things... For example - Cisco patented an algorithm for routing and a Chinese company decided to disregard their patent, and copied it.

Source: http://www.todaysengineer.org/2007/Aug/protectingIP.asp

You would blame Cisco?
August 7, 2012 6:30:04 PM

verbalizerit's not the number of patents, it's the quality of them that counts..

I do agree with you my friend. I just wanted to point that when we talk about one more patent count, we must see a higher ground. Nvidia have 1474, AMD 9820, Intel 21713. My opinion is that 1 patent granted to Nvidia isn't that "blow to technological progress". Everybody needs to protect it's intelectual property.
August 8, 2012 4:48:38 AM

madooo12but those things won't use optimus, they aren't mobile stuff

In fact yes they will use similar schedulers.
As I work on them I can ensure you how much power consumption is a great challenge.
A heavy computation-cluster is not overcharged all the time, and then sparing few MW by dynamically shutting down some DGPUs is an already considered solution. But I don't think this patern will help or prevent researches as the platform are really different.

Quote:
madjimmsWhy do they call it "discreet" graphics? Nothing discreet about a standalone card. they should simply call it standalone.

Because in electronics "discreet" is the antonym of integrated. It comes from mathematical language where discreet means "something from what you can define the limits". In integrated systems, you cannot truly say "here stop the GPU and start the CPU as the borders are quite mixed. However with a DGPU you can definitely do it.
August 8, 2012 5:56:29 PM

No wonder all these tech companies keep suing each other. They don't get patent grants until years after the technology has been on the market and everyone else has had a chance to copy it. Way to go broken patent system.
August 8, 2012 8:59:54 PM

I don't see how, especially considering NVidia was the first to implement it in a commercial product, and has all the right in the world to file it as their own invention.

Just because you don't agree doesn't mean they lose that right.
!