Lin Li Case Over Heat Problem?

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Has anyone experienced an over heating problem on the Lian Li PC-61 or
PC-V1100 case using an Intel P4 Extreme chip?
I am building a new system and get an impression that there may be a
problem with these cases.
Thanks in advance for your input.

dos

try a zalman cpu fan.

"Jack" <jack@aol.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone experienced an over heating problem on the Lian Li PC-61 or
> PC-V1100 case using an Intel P4 Extreme chip?
> I am building a new system and get an impression that there may be a
> problem with these cases.
> Thanks in advance for your input.

BigJim

heat pipe or water cooling is the best for that chip.

"Jack" <jack@aol.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone experienced an over heating problem on the Lian Li PC-61 or
> PC-V1100 case using an Intel P4 Extreme chip?
> I am building a new system and get an impression that there may be a
> problem with these cases.
> Thanks in advance for your input.

I agree, the case is aluminum with five fans blowing through it. Like the
others say, use a good CPU cooler
"BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> heat pipe or water cooling is the best for that chip.
>
> "Jack" <jack@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone experienced an over heating problem on the Lian Li PC-61 or
>> PC-V1100 case using an Intel P4 Extreme chip?
>> I am building a new system and get an impression that there may be a
>> problem with these cases.
>> Thanks in advance for your input.

heat problem is with the P4 extreme not the case.

if youre considering the lian li look at the kingwin kt424, similar but much
nicer case and less expensive.

"Jack" <jack@aol.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone experienced an over heating problem on the Lian Li PC-61 or
> PC-V1100 case using an Intel P4 Extreme chip?
> I am building a new system and get an impression that there may be a
> problem with these cases.
> Thanks in advance for your input.

I would say the case is fine - it is only part of the cooling system.

A PC is a critical path of cooling components, where the resulting
cooling is subject to the weakest link (component) along that path.

Air is drawn in at the front-lower-bottom:
o So cooling HDs directly if situated there
o HD Temp can be verified by S.M.A.R.T. temp reporting utilities

Air is then pulled up into the main body of the case:
o So providing Case-Ambient air temperature
---- a mix of CPU-Cooler & GPU-Cooler exhausted air & intake air
o Case-Ambient air temperature is used by the CPU/GPU coolers
---- the higher this air temperature relative to the chips
---- the lower the resulting Delta-T, and so cooling capability
o Case-Ambient temps can be found from motherboard monitoring
---- MBM 5 & motherboard utilities typically report "case-temp"

Air is then exhausted rear-top out of the case:
o By the exhaust fan(s) & PSU fan
---- ideally the PSU fan should cool just the PSU re lowest noise
---- leaving the case fans to actually do the case air exhausting
o So reducing the GPU & CPU recirculation of their own heated air
---- in turn allowing them to be quieter &/or cooler better

So...
o Your hard-drive temperature should be <45oC ideally
---- refer to makers specs, typically 50oC, 55oC
---- a margin below that is ideal, baseline with a HD test utility
o Your case temperature should be < 40oC
---- a margin below that is required for some low noise solutions
---- Intel CPU-coolers at intake < 32oC = low speed (noise)
---- Intel CPU-coolers at intake > 38oC = high speed (noise)
o A case struggling to keep temps down is > 40oC
---- this can be verified directly by temperature measurement
---- alternatively removing the side of a case & noting temps
-------- case temps fall = insufficient air changes per hour
o Your CPU temperatures should be within spec + a margin
---- for Prescott type CPUs typically 67-70oC (see Intel website)
---- high CPU temps & case-temps below 40oC need care
-------- CPU-cooler may be overly recirculating its own air
------------ ensure no cables obstruct the cooler's airflow path
------------ fit an exhaust fan behind the CPU cooler
-------- CPU-cooler may be insufficient or marginal
------------ verify case temp in this instance re OEM solution
------------ there are better CPU coolers out there (eg, SLK)
o Your case grills present a high airflow resistance
---- fans provide airflow, grills provide resistance to airflow
-------- punched case grills provide 45-55% airflow
-------- round-wire grills provide 89-91% airflow
---- cases exhaust through a large c/sectional area
-------- cases often intake through a tiny c/sectional area
-------- a 3"x1" cutout in a plastic fascia == 1/2x 80mm fan

The case noted offers better airflow & lower resistance
than most, so I would verify other areas first.

Baseline the System re temperature:
o HD temp re S.M.A.R.T. reporting -- is it in spec/acceptable
---- use a HD test utility to provide load condition
o Case temp re M/B reporting -- is it < 40oC & < 32oC
---- if you use an Intel temp controlled solution, quiet needs < 32oC
---- again use a PC test utility to provide a load condition
o CPU temp re M/B reporting -- is it < Thermal Design Limit (67-70oC)
---- again use a PC test utility to provide a load condition
---- consider an exhaust fan to get heated air away from the CPU-cooler
---- consider ducting or a different CPU cooler
---- consider changing case grills to round-wire from punched-metal

You do not need a PC that sounds like a jet engine - even P4EE :)

o Change 1 variable at a time - prove cause & effect.
o Establish a baseline under load and prioritise from there.

When you build a PC, you are the System Integrator.
Just takes a little care.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans