problem adding memory to a Compaq Deskpro En

Hi - I have a problem installing additional memory in my Compaq Deskpro
EN (Windows 98)- it had one 128MB stick, I have just added a 256 MB
stick. The Compaq configuration record show Compaq memory = 384Mb and
Windows memory = 128Mb. Windows system info shows 128Mb. The POST only
sees 128 Mb. The CMOS setting also show 128Mb and there doesn't seem
to be any way to change it. Compaq memory diagnostics see 384Mb and the
memory tests pass.

I tried swapping the stick around. The system won't boot with the new
256 stick
in the first slot - the bios just beeps at me.

I also tried upgrading the bios from 686P2 v2.11 to 686P2 v3.14 - no
joy.

I have a 1 GHz Celeron CPU which I think is non-standard - maybe that
has something to do with it?

Any suggestions?
2 answers Last reply
More about problem adding memory compaq deskpro

    I tried swapping the stick around. The system won't boot with the new
    > 256 stick
    > in the first slot - the bios just beeps at me.

    Time to look at the manual for memory requirements. Compaq's are
    notorious for incompatibilities, more so early on.

    <patrick.ryan@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

    > Hi - I have a problem installing additional memory in my Compaq
    Deskpro
    > EN (Windows 98)- it had one 128MB stick, I have just added a 256 MB
    > stick. The Compaq configuration record show Compaq memory = 384Mb
    and
    > Windows memory = 128Mb. Windows system info shows 128Mb. The POST
    only
    > sees 128 Mb. The CMOS setting also show 128Mb and there doesn't
    seem
    > to be any way to change it. Compaq memory diagnostics see 384Mb and
    the
    > memory tests pass.
    >

    > I also tried upgrading the bios from 686P2 v2.11 to 686P2 v3.14 -
    no
    > joy.
    >
    > I have a 1 GHz Celeron CPU which I think is non-standard - maybe
    that
    > has something to do with it?
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    <patrick.ryan@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

    > Hi - I have a problem installing additional memory in my Compaq Deskpro
    > EN (Windows 98)- it had one 128MB stick, I have just added a 256 MB
    > stick. The Compaq configuration record show Compaq memory = 384Mb and
    > Windows memory = 128Mb. Windows system info shows 128Mb. The POST only
    > sees 128 Mb. The CMOS setting also show 128Mb and there doesn't seem
    > to be any way to change it. Compaq memory diagnostics see 384Mb and the
    > memory tests pass.
    >
    > I tried swapping the stick around. The system won't boot with the new
    > 256 stick
    > in the first slot - the bios just beeps at me.
    >
    > I also tried upgrading the bios from 686P2 v2.11 to 686P2 v3.14 - no
    > joy.
    >
    > I have a 1 GHz Celeron CPU which I think is non-standard - maybe that
    > has something to do with it?
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    I had the same issue (among others) with my Compaq. When I added RAM to
    bank 1 the system would not boot if there was a stick in bank 0. Tried a
    single 512 stick still would not boot. Called service, they ran me around
    until they finally send me a FedEx box to send it back. This was the fourth
    time it went back for service. The first three were for a hard drive that
    was dying. Since the drive was not dead at the repair depot all they did
    was re-install the OS! This time it came back with a "new" motherboard.
    Tried to add a second memory stick. Same problem. I really don't think
    they did anything.
    Now the system is out of warranty the only thing its used for is for a print
    server for my wireless network.
    This is the first off the shelf system I have ever purchased and it will be
    the last. There is so much to be said for building your own.

Homebuilt Compaq Memory Systems