sound setup problem

Hi, I have an Abit NF7-S motherboard and am using the built-in audio
ports. I am trying to hook up a Logitech Z-640 speaker set, a 5.1 system.

Accoring to the Abit manual:
green = front left/right
orange = rear left/right
black = center/sub

The Logitech setup guide however doesn't get specific. They just say
"hook up the green/orange/black plugs to your sound card's corresponding
inputs". Okay, sounds easy, right? The problem is that when I do this
I get no sound from my rear speakers.

I should mention that I have checked the audio preferences in Windows
and selected a 6-speaker setup. I've also moved the individual speakers
around and connected them to different ports on the subwoofer, so I know
all the speakers are operational. I also know all the sound ports on
the motherboard work because I've moved the plugs to different inputs
and am able to get at least some sound. But I just can't get everything
right.

I was wondering how best to troubleshoot this. Are there any utility
programs that can send sound to individual speakers so you can see that
selecting "rear right" sends a sound to the rear right speaker for
example? Thanks.

"o-chan" <poda@REMOVEmac.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have an Abit NF7-S motherboard and am using the built-in audio
> ports. I am trying to hook up a Logitech Z-640 speaker set, a 5.1 system.
>
> Accoring to the Abit manual:
> green = front left/right
> orange = rear left/right
> black = center/sub
>
> The Logitech setup guide however doesn't get specific. They just say
> "hook up the green/orange/black plugs to your sound card's corresponding
> inputs". Okay, sounds easy, right? The problem is that when I do this I
> get no sound from my rear speakers.
>
> <snip>
>
> I was wondering how best to troubleshoot this. Are there any utility
> programs that can send sound to individual speakers so you can see that
> selecting "rear right" sends a sound to the rear right speaker for
> example? Thanks.

The following assumes that the sound is provided by an AC97 Sound Chip.

Have you used the "AC97 Audio Configuration" > "Speaker Configuration" to
set the jack sockets from "Line In" & "Mic In" to "Rear Speaker Out" &
"Centre/Subwoofer Speaker Out" ?

--
Roger

carobri@despammed.com

> The following assumes that the sound is provided by an AC97 Sound Chip.
>
> Have you used the "AC97 Audio Configuration" > "Speaker Configuration" to
> set the jack sockets from "Line In" & "Mic In" to "Rear Speaker Out" &
> "Centre/Subwoofer Speaker Out" ?

There is an option for using the line in and mic in for rear and center
speakers, but I do not have that checked.

jad

are those not the outputs? please check as needed

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 14:56:37 -0500, o-chan <poda@REMOVEmac.com> wrote:

>Hi, I have an Abit NF7-S motherboard and am using the built-in audio
>ports. I am trying to hook up a Logitech Z-640 speaker set, a 5.1 system.
>
>Accoring to the Abit manual:
>green = front left/right
>orange = rear left/right
>black = center/sub
>
>The Logitech setup guide however doesn't get specific. They just say
>"hook up the green/orange/black plugs to your sound card's corresponding
>inputs". Okay, sounds easy, right? The problem is that when I do this
>I get no sound from my rear speakers.
>
>I should mention that I have checked the audio preferences in Windows
>and selected a 6-speaker setup. I've also moved the individual speakers
>around and connected them to different ports on the subwoofer, so I know
>all the speakers are operational. I also know all the sound ports on
>the motherboard work because I've moved the plugs to different inputs
>and am able to get at least some sound. But I just can't get everything
> right.
>
>I was wondering how best to troubleshoot this. Are there any utility
>programs that can send sound to individual speakers so you can see that
>selecting "rear right" sends a sound to the rear right speaker for
>example? Thanks.

I used the NVIDIA NVMixer application which was part of their latest
driver upgrade package to set up my 5.1 speakers using the on-board
audio chip on my Abit NF7. This utility lets you individually control
speaker volume and add various equaliser/surround sound effects. You
may even have it somewhere in an NVIDIA folder. Look for NvMixer.exe
or NvMixer tray.exe

bejay

> I used the NVIDIA NVMixer application which was part of their latest
> driver upgrade package to set up my 5.1 speakers using the on-board
> audio chip on my Abit NF7. This utility lets you individually control
> speaker volume and add various equaliser/surround sound effects. You
> may even have it somewhere in an NVIDIA folder. Look for NvMixer.exe
> or NvMixer tray.exe
>
> bejay

Thanks, that worked GREAT. It was strange I had the installer on my C
drive and it was called "audio setup" in the nvidia/audio/utls folder,
but for some reason it was never installed. Not only did I get it set
up properly but I was able to make it automatically send front L/R to
the rear L/R when only playing a 2.0 audio source. Thanks again.