Sudden problem with MS Word 2000 on 2 machines

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 19, 2005 10:22:23 PM

I have a friend who had two ME computers. Both are having a problem
with Word 2000. On one, it won't open even though I uninstalled and
reinstalled Word. It just says error in word.exe.

The other computer is erratic with Word. Sometimes it won't open it
and sometimes it will.

This just started happening couple of weeks ago. Is there an update
that could have caused this???

Thanks
May 20, 2005 12:32:10 AM

Try this:
Search your system (i.e. Start/Search/Files or Folders)
for normal.dot. Be sure to include, in the 'advanced
settings' section, "search subfolders" check box. Reboot
and see if that cures your ailment.

Post back with results please.

Good luck.

KB

May 20, 2005 1:00:00 AM

EDIT!!!
Change the extension to .old from .dot before reboot.

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 4:12:10 AM

You *may* have a damaged 'normal.dot' template on at least one of the pc's.

One of the most common problems with Word not opening is due to a faulty
(corrupted) 'normal.dot' template. A "system is dangerously low in
resources" error notice being a tell-tale sign.

Take a look at the MS Knowledge Base article :-
"WD2000: Invalid Page Fault When Normal.dot Is a Document"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;211541

Best of luck

Mart

!