Mixing Memory PC3200 vs PC2700

BudMan

I have a system to upgrade. The customer wants to use as much of the old
components as they can. What would be the consequences on mixing new 512MB
PC3200 stick with a 128MB PC2700 stick? The motherboard will be a new
Gigabyte with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+ processor. This customer is not a
gamer. They just want a better system.

predator

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

they will both run at pc2700 speeds probably and you can't take advantage of
dual channel.
"BudMan" <notme@none.net> wrote in message
>I have a system to upgrade. The customer wants to use as much of the old
>components as they can. What would be the consequences on mixing new 512MB
>PC3200 stick with a 128MB PC2700 stick? The motherboard will be a new
>Gigabyte with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+ processor. This customer is not a
>gamer. They just want a better system.

The old PC 2700 RAM will slow down ALL the RAM in the system, and will offer
negligible (none) improvements for the additional 128 MB of capacity. Don't
do it; just use the PC 3200.

--
DaveW

"BudMan" <notme@none.net> wrote in message
>I have a system to upgrade. The customer wants to use as much of the old
>components as they can. What would be the consequences on mixing new 512MB
>PC3200 stick with a 128MB PC2700 stick? The motherboard will be a new
>Gigabyte with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+ processor. This customer is not a
>gamer. They just want a better system.

As he mentioned you dont want to mix.Go with the faster brand all around.
and make sure the motherboard will support it first before you buy it and
add it.