Mixing Memory PC3200 vs PC2700

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 6, 2005 6:09:34 PM

I have a system to upgrade. The customer wants to use as much of the old
components as they can. What would be the consequences on mixing new 512MB
PC3200 stick with a 128MB PC2700 stick? The motherboard will be a new
Gigabyte with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+ processor. This customer is not a
gamer. They just want a better system.
February 6, 2005 6:48:07 PM

they will both run at pc2700 speeds probably and you can't take advantage of
dual channel.
"BudMan" <notme@none.net> wrote in message
>I have a system to upgrade. The customer wants to use as much of the old
>components as they can. What would be the consequences on mixing new 512MB
>PC3200 stick with a 128MB PC2700 stick? The motherboard will be a new
>Gigabyte with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+ processor. This customer is not a
>gamer. They just want a better system.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 7, 2005 7:22:35 PM

The old PC 2700 RAM will slow down ALL the RAM in the system, and will offer
negligible (none) improvements for the additional 128 MB of capacity. Don't
do it; just use the PC 3200.

--
DaveW

"BudMan" <notme@none.net> wrote in message
>I have a system to upgrade. The customer wants to use as much of the old
>components as they can. What would be the consequences on mixing new 512MB
>PC3200 stick with a 128MB PC2700 stick? The motherboard will be a new
>Gigabyte with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+ processor. This customer is not a
>gamer. They just want a better system.

Related resources
February 9, 2005 1:43:07 AM

Toss the 2700

johns
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 10, 2005 11:19:31 PM

As he mentioned you dont want to mix.Go with the faster brand all around.
and make sure the motherboard will support it first before you buy it and
add it.
news:p rmdnYu-0r7Ym5XfRVn-pA@comcast.com...

!