cd-rom not recognized and other problems

Suddenly my cd-rom (cdrw) is not recognized by my system. I have
a Dell Dimension L733r with WindowsMe. I have tried several
things already, but nothing has helped:
I ran Ad-Aware, SpyBot, CWshredder, Stinger and AVG (all updated
yesterday) but nothing was found. I had this happen once before,
but found some malware then, deleted it and system recognized
cdrom again. This time there is a problem with extremely slow
it is very slow loading system memory. It steps thru it 4 mb at a
time up to 384mb, then the keyboard and mouse are recognized and
the usb. Then it sits there for a long time (about 3 or 4 minutes)
before the hard drive shows up. Then Windows loads normally, but
the cdrom drive never loads. Device manager did not show it in
full mode, but in safe mode it was there. I removed it thinking
it would reinstall upon reboot, but it didn't. This is a 5 yr old
computer, but I have updated it quite a bit so here is what I have
now:

80 gig Western Digital hard drive (only 1 partition)
nVidia Geforce4 mx440 video adapter
cmedia CMI8738 /c3dx audio device
Westell dsl modem from Bellsouth (dsl lite)
Benq FP731 flat panel monitor
Original LG cdrw

What do you suggest as my next step? Does this sound like the
hard drive is about to go? maybe the motherboard? or just some
malware I haven't found yet?

Thanks,
Janice
3 answers Last reply
More about recognized problems

    The following ASS-U-MEs that the CDRW is the only CD-ROM on your PC.

    This may not necessarily be a viral or WinMe issue - there are other things
    to consider first.

    First question - has anyone been 'under the bonnet' and disturbed any of the
    wiring within the computer?

    You must ensure that the PC does actually 'see' the CD-ROM. Its cables *may*
    have become dislodged. Either look in the BIOS to see if it is recognised
    there, or confirm that you can 'see' it in Real Mode DOS

    To 'see' it in Real Mode DOS, Boot, using your WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk
    in the A: drive.
    Select option 2. Start computer with CD-ROM support.

    Let the screen information scroll until you eventually see a line which
    should report a drive letter for the CD-ROM - but note that it may not
    necessarily the same letter as you would expect to see in Windows.

    For example, you should see the CD-ROM, becoming the E:, so the screen
    should show:
    > Drive E:= Driver MSCD001 UNIT 0
    > Your CD-ROM Is Drive E

    When the boot disk finally settles down, you will be presented with an A:\>
    prompt.

    Now put a (data) CD into the CD-ROM and at the A:\> prompt, type "E:" (no
    quotes and note the colon after the letter E) Then Press Return.

    Now, at the E:\> prompt, type "DIR /P" (no quotes and note the space) Then
    press Return.

    You should see a listing of the CD contents.

    Come back with your results. Give EXACT errors reports - if any

    Mart

    "granjan" <me@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Suddenly my cd-rom (cdrw) is not recognized by my system. I have
    > a Dell Dimension L733r with WindowsMe. I have tried several
    > things already, but nothing has helped:
    > I ran Ad-Aware, SpyBot, CWshredder, Stinger and AVG (all updated
    > yesterday) but nothing was found. I had this happen once before,
    > but found some malware then, deleted it and system recognized
    > cdrom again. This time there is a problem with extremely slow
    > it is very slow loading system memory. It steps thru it 4 mb at a
    > time up to 384mb, then the keyboard and mouse are recognized and
    > the usb. Then it sits there for a long time (about 3 or 4 minutes)
    > before the hard drive shows up. Then Windows loads normally, but
    > the cdrom drive never loads. Device manager did not show it in
    > full mode, but in safe mode it was there. I removed it thinking
    > it would reinstall upon reboot, but it didn't. This is a 5 yr old
    > computer, but I have updated it quite a bit so here is what I have
    > now:
    >
    > 80 gig Western Digital hard drive (only 1 partition)
    > nVidia Geforce4 mx440 video adapter
    > cmedia CMI8738 /c3dx audio device
    > Westell dsl modem from Bellsouth (dsl lite)
    > Benq FP731 flat panel monitor
    > Original LG cdrw
    >
    > What do you suggest as my next step? Does this sound like the
    > hard drive is about to go? maybe the motherboard? or just some
    > malware I haven't found yet?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Janice

    Mart, thanks for your prompt reply. I had been under the bonnet
    about 3 months ago, but that was the last time and the current
    problem was only about a week old. But I needed to do some
    cleaning anyway, so I opened her up and removed the cdrom drive
    and played around with it trying to get a music cd out of it that
    had been there about a week. At that point I didn't care if ruined
    the drive and I wanted my cd.
    I reseated the memory modules, checked all cables, etc., put it
    back together and voila! it works. Who'd a thunk it? (as we say
    here in the South).
    Anyway, thanks very much,
    Janice
    PS: Everything loaded much faster too.

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> [...]
    but
    | > the cdrom drive never loads. Device manager did not show it
    in
    | > full mode, but in safe mode it was there. I removed it
    thinking
    | > it would reinstall upon reboot, but it didn't. This is a 5 yr
    old
    | > computer, but I have updated it quite a bit so here is what I
    have
    | > now:
    | >
    | > 80 gig Western Digital hard drive (only 1 partition)
    | > nVidia Geforce4 mx440 video adapter
    | > cmedia CMI8738 /c3dx audio device
    | > Westell dsl modem from Bellsouth (dsl lite)
    | > Benq FP731 flat panel monitor
    | > Original LG cdrw
    | >
    | > What do you suggest as my next step? Does this sound like the
    | > hard drive is about to go? maybe the motherboard? or just

    Well done, Janice.

    A misaligned connector doesn't take much to shake loose, which would
    certainly explain your previous symptoms. Good to hear that you've resolved
    the issue.

> [...]
    > but
    > | > the cdrom drive never loads. Device manager did not show it
    > in
    > | > full mode, but in safe mode it was there. I removed it
    > thinking
    > | > it would reinstall upon reboot, but it didn't. This is a 5 yr
    > old
    > | > computer, but I have updated it quite a bit so here is what I
    > have
    > | > now:
    > | >
    > | > 80 gig Western Digital hard drive (only 1 partition)
    > | > nVidia Geforce4 mx440 video adapter
    > | > cmedia CMI8738 /c3dx audio device
    > | > Westell dsl modem from Bellsouth (dsl lite)
    > | > Benq FP731 flat panel monitor
    > | > Original LG cdrw
    > | >
    > | > What do you suggest as my next step? Does this sound like the
    > | > hard drive is about to go? maybe the motherboard? or just

CD-Rom Windows