Improving LAN transfer rate?

Im doing drive image backups over a 100baseT LAN using Norton Ghost from a
PC P4 w/XP to a network storage device.
Looks like the transfer rate over LAN is about 25 Megbit/s and LAN shows 25%
utilization and CPU aboutr 50%. Drive is only being accessed about 1/3 the
time so drive is not limiting the data transfer.

Is 25 Mbit/s about the best one can reasonably expect to get on a 100 baseT?
Even at that rate, a 44 Gig backup can take a few hours.

Are there ways to easily tweek the LAN to get significant transfer rate
performance improvements? Or is 25% utilization the best I should expect
on a 100mb/s LAN?

Any tips appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about improving transfer rate

    >Im doing drive image backups over a 100baseT LAN using Norton Ghost from a
    >PC P4 w/XP to a network storage device.
    >Looks like the transfer rate over LAN is about 25 Megbit/s and LAN shows 25%
    >utilization and CPU aboutr 50%. Drive is only being accessed about 1/3 the
    >time so drive is not limiting the data transfer.
    >
    >Is 25 Mbit/s about the best one can reasonably expect to get on a 100 baseT?
    >Even at that rate, a 44 Gig backup can take a few hours.
    >
    >Are there ways to easily tweek the LAN to get significant transfer rate
    >performance improvements? Or is 25% utilization the best I should expect
    >on a 100mb/s LAN?
    >
    >Any tips appreciated.

    Use DrTCP to choose your nic from the list and set the MTU to 1492 and
    TCP to 125,000. Make sure on your router setup page the MTU is also
    1492. Because of overhead you most likely can't get higher than 75Mb.
    http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

    If that doesn't help you might have a nic stuck at 10 Mb. It might be
    flaky or a bad cable might be the reason it doesn't "auto sense 100".
    Go to Device Manager- Adapters- choose your nic, right click-
    properties- Advanced- Speed Duplex- choose "Force 100 full duplex".

    Your speed will fall as cpu usage increases. 50% cpu utilization is too much
    for a simple backup

    "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Im doing drive image backups over a 100baseT LAN using Norton Ghost from a
    > PC P4 w/XP to a network storage device.
    > Looks like the transfer rate over LAN is about 25 Megbit/s and LAN shows
    > 25% utilization and CPU aboutr 50%. Drive is only being accessed about
    > 1/3 the time so drive is not limiting the data transfer.
    >
    > Is 25 Mbit/s about the best one can reasonably expect to get on a 100
    > baseT? Even at that rate, a 44 Gig backup can take a few hours.
    >
    > Are there ways to easily tweek the LAN to get significant transfer rate
    > performance improvements? Or is 25% utilization the best I should expect
    > on a 100mb/s LAN?
    >
    > Any tips appreciated.

    nice input. Ill check it out. I think it might be the nic too. Its an old
    board and on another PC I just swapped from the PCI NIC to the motherboard
    ethernet port and it was much much faster.
    thanks!

    "AndrewJ" <andrewjbbrREMOVE@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >>Im doing drive image backups over a 100baseT LAN using Norton Ghost from a
    >>PC P4 w/XP to a network storage device.
    >>Looks like the transfer rate over LAN is about 25 Megbit/s and LAN shows
    >>25%
    >>utilization and CPU aboutr 50%. Drive is only being accessed about 1/3
    >>the
    >>time so drive is not limiting the data transfer.
    >>
    >>Is 25 Mbit/s about the best one can reasonably expect to get on a 100
    >>baseT?
    >>Even at that rate, a 44 Gig backup can take a few hours.
    >>
    >>Are there ways to easily tweek the LAN to get significant transfer rate
    >>performance improvements? Or is 25% utilization the best I should expect
    >>on a 100mb/s LAN?
    >>
    >>Any tips appreciated.
    >
    > Use DrTCP to choose your nic from the list and set the MTU to 1492 and
    > TCP to 125,000. Make sure on your router setup page the MTU is also
    > 1492. Because of overhead you most likely can't get higher than 75Mb.
    > http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp
    >
    > If that doesn't help you might have a nic stuck at 10 Mb. It might be
    > flaky or a bad cable might be the reason it doesn't "auto sense 100".
    > Go to Device Manager- Adapters- choose your nic, right click-
    > properties- Advanced- Speed Duplex- choose "Force 100 full duplex".

Homebuilt LAN Systems