Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

USB flash drive causes system to crash

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:27:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I bought a USB drive (Handy Steno HT202) that said it was compatible with
WinME and didn't need any other driver. When I insert it, it causes the blue
screen. The error is: 0D : 0028 : 00000003.

In Device Manager it shows up in a separate section (not under the USB
controller). Its status has Code 11, and suggests looking at ASD and
upgrading the device driver. If I upgrade the driver, windows says it already
has the best one installed.

ASD says: windows had a problem while attempting to start your: USB disk.
The reference is: USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_&PROD_USB_FLASH_DRIVE&RE [the rest is
truncated]. It also suggests upgrading the driver or changing resources.

I have run msinfo32.exe to look at hardware conflicts and the only ones are
IRQ holders that are on the same IRQ (10) as the USB drive. I tried turning
off PCI steering, but that didn't resolve that conflict.

Can anyone help please?
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 3:23:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

You haven't told us if USB 2.0 is enabled on the machine, in addition to the
earlier USB 1.0 or 1.1.
If so, there should be separate listings for the two types of USB
controllers in Device Manager, and they should all be UnMarked.
--
Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"mdf" <mdf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FA3B1900-894A-42F8-A656-CA67C4CA7547@microsoft.com...
> I bought a USB drive (Handy Steno HT202) that said it was compatible with
> WinME and didn't need any other driver. When I insert it, it causes the
blue
> screen. The error is: 0D : 0028 : 00000003.
>
> In Device Manager it shows up in a separate section (not under the USB
> controller). Its status has Code 11, and suggests looking at ASD and
> upgrading the device driver. If I upgrade the driver, windows says it
already
> has the best one installed.
>
> ASD says: windows had a problem while attempting to start your: USB disk.
> The reference is: USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_&PROD_USB_FLASH_DRIVE&RE [the rest is
> truncated]. It also suggests upgrading the driver or changing resources.
>
> I have run msinfo32.exe to look at hardware conflicts and the only ones
are
> IRQ holders that are on the same IRQ (10) as the USB drive. I tried
turning
> off PCI steering, but that didn't resolve that conflict.
>
> Can anyone help please?
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 12:17:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

The device Manager lists it as INTEL 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host,
hardware vers. 001. I suppose this is USB 1.0? The flash drive is USB 2.0,
but said it is compatible with USB 1.0 and 1.1.

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> You haven't told us if USB 2.0 is enabled on the machine, in addition to the
> earlier USB 1.0 or 1.1.
> If so, there should be separate listings for the two types of USB
> controllers in Device Manager, and they should all be UnMarked.
> --
> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
Related resources
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 12:19:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

You are correct, the flash drive *should* be backward compatible with USB
1.0 and 1.1.

Try the following KB article :-
"General USB Troubleshooting in Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and
Windows Me."
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263218

and try searching the KB for other "USB" articles - there are quite a few!.

Might also be worth 'Removing' any/USB Devices and Drivers shown in Device
Manager when in Safe Mode and rebooting to let WinMe re-install the USB
controllers again.

In the meantime you might find this useful :-

If you have a copy of the Win98 CD, then see the following URL and try the
usbview.exe on the CD (NB It's not on the WinME CD) and see if you are able
to determine whether it recognises the controllers correctly.
"How to Use the Windows 98 USB Device Viewer Utility"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272584

You can download usbview.exe from:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win...

Mart


"mdf" <mdf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:40D620C4-B9C5-43F6-8C3A-3F02F21981B7@microsoft.com...
> The device Manager lists it as INTEL 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host,
> hardware vers. 001. I suppose this is USB 1.0? The flash drive is USB 2.0,
> but said it is compatible with USB 1.0 and 1.1.
>
> "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
>
>> You haven't told us if USB 2.0 is enabled on the machine, in addition to
>> the
>> earlier USB 1.0 or 1.1.
>> If so, there should be separate listings for the two types of USB
>> controllers in Device Manager, and they should all be UnMarked.
>> --
>> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
>> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
>> ------
>
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 3:19:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Very nicely done, Mart.

I suspect mdf will discover that his USB 1.0/1.1 system is running fine, but
the new flash device is causing the BSOD.
A different vendor's tool will be needed.
--
Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
news:o XcfifiYFHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> You are correct, the flash drive *should* be backward compatible with USB
> 1.0 and 1.1.
>
> Try the following KB article :-
> "General USB Troubleshooting in Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and
> Windows Me."
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263218
>
> and try searching the KB for other "USB" articles - there are quite a
few!.
>
> Might also be worth 'Removing' any/USB Devices and Drivers shown in Device
> Manager when in Safe Mode and rebooting to let WinMe re-install the USB
> controllers again.
>
> In the meantime you might find this useful :-
>
> If you have a copy of the Win98 CD, then see the following URL and try the
> usbview.exe on the CD (NB It's not on the WinME CD) and see if you are
able
> to determine whether it recognises the controllers correctly.
> "How to Use the Windows 98 USB Device Viewer Utility"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272584
>
> You can download usbview.exe from:
>
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win...
>
> Mart
>
>
> "mdf" <mdf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:40D620C4-B9C5-43F6-8C3A-3F02F21981B7@microsoft.com...
> > The device Manager lists it as INTEL 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal
Host,
> > hardware vers. 001. I suppose this is USB 1.0? The flash drive is USB
2.0,
> > but said it is compatible with USB 1.0 and 1.1.
> >
> > "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
> >
> >> You haven't told us if USB 2.0 is enabled on the machine, in addition
to
> >> the
> >> earlier USB 1.0 or 1.1.
> >> If so, there should be separate listings for the two types of USB
> >> controllers in Device Manager, and they should all be UnMarked.
> >> --
> >> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> >> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> >> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> >> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> >> ------
> >
>
>
!