regedit

Sandy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002

Under root key HKCU I have a number of software programs listed that I no
longer use. My Que book claims that keys can be safely removed by renaming
the program with the prefix DELETED-. Apparently this step hides the key
from Windows and your applications. If, after restart, everything functions
normally, you can safely go back to regedit and delete the key. Can u
confirm that this is a safe approach to cleaning my registry.

Are these programs uninstalled or just "not used?" As opposed to a manual
editing of the Reg, I would recommend getting an older version of jv16 Power
Tools (the one before they started charging for it), version 1.3. A Google
search will provide you with a number of dl'd sites. jv16 does a fine job
of removing detritus from uninstalled programs AND it keeps a backup for
'just in case.' It has a number of other really handy tools, as well.
Heirloom, old and just about finished with the new one

"Sandy" <sandalwoodbythebay@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Under root key HKCU I have a number of software programs listed that I no
> longer use. My Que book claims that keys can be safely removed by renaming
> the program with the prefix DELETED-. Apparently this step hides the key
> from Windows and your applications. If, after restart, everything
functions
> normally, you can safely go back to regedit and delete the key. Can u
> confirm that this is a safe approach to cleaning my registry.

Sandy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002

All of these programs are uninstalled. As per ur suggestion I have
downloaded jv16 and have used it to remove a number of these old programs.
They currently sit in jv's backup folder. At what point is it safe to remove
them from here as they are still appearing in regedit when I run it.
Many thanks
"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.invalid> wrote in message
> Are these programs uninstalled or just "not used?" As opposed to a
manual
> editing of the Reg, I would recommend getting an older version of jv16
Power
> Tools (the one before they started charging for it), version 1.3. A
Google
> search will provide you with a number of dl'd sites. jv16 does a fine job
> of removing detritus from uninstalled programs AND it keeps a backup for
> 'just in case.' It has a number of other really handy tools, as well.
> Heirloom, old and just about finished with the new
one

> "Sandy" <sandalwoodbythebay@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > Under root key HKCU I have a number of software programs listed that I
no
> > longer use. My Que book claims that keys can be safely removed by
renaming
> > the program with the prefix DELETED-. Apparently this step hides the key
> > from Windows and your applications. If, after restart, everything
> functions
> > normally, you can safely go back to regedit and delete the key. Can u
> > confirm that this is a safe approach to cleaning my registry.

I would hold on to the jv16 backup, at least, until you are sure all of your
other programs are functioning properly.....then that backup can be disposed
of at your discretion. As far as the remnants in the Registry, these are
*probably* of no consequence, other than taking up a little space.
Additionally, another running of jv16, since you have removed some of the
remnants, may render some additional hits. If the programs are no longer
showing in Add/Remove and are recognized as deleted software by jv16, make
sure there are no longer any entries in Windows Explorer/Programs. Remnant
folders and/or files should be safe to place in the Recycle Bin and, this
too, may allow jv16 to recognize more invalid entries in the Reg. If this
still fails to satisfy your need for cleaning, a manual Regedit may be
needed. NOTE: before you perform the manual Regedit, it would be highly
advisable to make a backup of your registry.

To back up the registry:

1. Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
2. Type regedit and click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
3. Click the Registry menu and click Export Registry File.
4. Verify the following items in the Export Registry File dialog box:
Save in: Desktop
File name: Registry Backup
Save as type: Registration Files
Export range: All
5. Click Save.
6. Exit the Registry Editor.
7. Verify that an icon labeled "Registry Backup.reg" is on the desktop.

CAUTION: Do not double-click the Registry Backup.reg file on the desktop
unless you intend to undo the changes you are making to the registry.

Compressing the Registry

Start, Run, type: Scanreg /opt /fix in the Run dialog box. Note
the spaces between the g and / and t and / .

Actually, a new reg backup is created automatically each time your machine
successfully boots and the last 5 saves are stored. These can be accessed
by running SCANREG from the Start/Run dialog box. In any case, it would
be best to create a new backup before the manual regedit and save it until
you are sure everything is functioning normally.
Heirloom, old and have to hang some pictures, ugh.

> All of these programs are uninstalled. As per ur suggestion I have
> downloaded jv16 and have used it to remove a number of these old programs.
> They currently sit in jv's backup folder. At what point is it safe to
remove
> them from here as they are still appearing in regedit when I run it.
> Many thanks
> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.invalid> wrote in message
> > Are these programs uninstalled or just "not used?" As opposed to a
> manual
> > editing of the Reg, I would recommend getting an older version of jv16
> Power
> > Tools (the one before they started charging for it), version 1.3. A
> Google
> > search will provide you with a number of dl'd sites. jv16 does a fine
job
> > of removing detritus from uninstalled programs AND it keeps a backup for
> > 'just in case.' It has a number of other really handy tools, as well.
> > Heirloom, old and just about finished with the new
> one
> >
> > "Sandy" <sandalwoodbythebay@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > > Under root key HKCU I have a number of software programs listed that I
> no
> > > longer use. My Que book claims that keys can be safely removed by
> renaming
> > > the program with the prefix DELETED-. Apparently this step hides the
key
> > > from Windows and your applications. If, after restart, everything
> > functions
> > > normally, you can safely go back to regedit and delete the key. Can u
> > > confirm that this is a safe approach to cleaning my registry.

Sandy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002

I found so more entries at the bottom of the jv16 registry cleaner and am
happy to report no more remnants in my register. They were in the UNKNOWN
category which is the last area to be displayed and I hadn't scrolled down
far enough to catch and eliminate them. So all is well and yes I shall hang
unto the backup for a few days.
Once again many thanks for your assistance.
> [...]
> > them from here as they are still appearing in regedit when I run it.
> > Many thanks
> > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.invalid> wrote in message
> > > Are these programs uninstalled or just "not used?" As opposed to a
> > manual
> > > editing of the Reg, I would recommend getting an older version of jv16
> > Power
> > > Tools (the one before they started charging for it), version 1.3. A
> > Google
> > > search will provide you with a number of dl'd sites. jv16 does a fine
> job
> > > of removing detritus from uninstalled programs AND it keeps a backup
for
> > > 'just in case.' It has a number of other really handy tools, as
well.
> > > Heirloom, old and just about finished with the new

Sandy, following up heirloom, after exporting your registry backup to the
Desktop, rename the extension of the file to, eg., <my registry
backup>.re_, i.e., replace the "g" of .reg with an underline. This will
prvent any inadvertent merging of this backup, while reminding you of its
intended use.

And you may wish to consider:

Change Default Action of REG Files to “Edit.”
I recommend you change the default action of Registry files to Edit rather
than Merge, so that when you click them they will open in Notepad instead of
merging immediately into your Registry.
http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.htm

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> [...]
> > them from here as they are still appearing in regedit when I run it.
> > Many thanks
> > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.invalid> wrote in message
> > > Are these programs uninstalled or just "not used?" As opposed to a
> > manual
> > > editing of the Reg, I would recommend getting an older version of jv16
> > Power
> > > Tools (the one before they started charging for it), version 1.3. A
> > Google
> > > search will provide you with a number of dl'd sites. jv16 does a fine
> job
> > > of removing detritus from uninstalled programs AND it keeps a backup
for
> > > 'just in case.' It has a number of other really handy tools, as
well.
> > > Heirloom, old and just about finished with the new

Good words, Jack.......thanks for covering my "six."
Heirloom, old and hope you are doing well

> [...]
> > successfully boots and the last 5 saves are stored. These can be
accessed
> > by running SCANREG from the Start/Run dialog box. In any case, it
> would
> > be best to create a new backup before the manual regedit and save it
until
> > you are sure everything is functioning normally.
> > Heirloom, old and have to hang some pictures,
ugh.

> > "Sandy" <sandalwoodbythebay@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > > All of these programs are uninstalled. As per ur suggestion I have
> > > downloaded jv16 and have used it to remove a number of these old
> programs.
> > > They currently sit in jv's backup folder. At what point is it safe to
> > remove
> > > them from here as they are still appearing in regedit when I run it.

Quess what I'm back. Removed some programs that caused IE not to work. Went
into jv16 backup file and restored them. Everything appears to be normal.
However, the restored items still appear in the backup file. Perhaps this is
as it should be but when it comes time to clear the entries from the backup
file do I ignore the items I have restored or can they be included in the
clean up.
> [...]
> > successfully boots and the last 5 saves are stored. These can be
accessed
> > by running SCANREG from the Start/Run dialog box. In any case, it
> would
> > be best to create a new backup before the manual regedit and save it
until
> > you are sure everything is functioning normally.
> > Heirloom, old and have to hang some pictures,
ugh.

> > "Sandy" <sandalwoodbythebay@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > > All of these programs are uninstalled. As per ur suggestion I have
> > > downloaded jv16 and have used it to remove a number of these old
> programs.
> > > They currently sit in jv's backup folder. At what point is it safe to
> > remove
> > > them from here as they are still appearing in regedit when I run it.

You people are truly wonderful. Quess what, I deleted a key or two that
disconnected me from my IP server. Thanks to the jv16 backup tool, I have
sucessfully restored the necessary keys. Couple of things though that maybe
u can clear up for me.
#1-While the restore placed all of the keys back to the jv16 register tool,
it didnt restore all of them to the Windows register. Do u detect a
potential problem here?
#2-When I go to clear all of the items in the jv16 backup folder, should I
be careful not to include those keys which I have restored because they
still appear on the list of potential items to be permanently deleted or do
the keys in the register supersede /override those in the backup tool
folder.
Hope I'm explaining this well enough for u to make sense of it all.
> [...]
> > >

> > > CAUTION: Do not double-click the Registry Backup.reg file on the
desktop
> > > unless you intend to undo the changes you are making to the registry.
> > >
> > > Compressing the Registry
> > >
> > > Start, Run, type: Scanreg /opt /fix in the Run dialog box.
> Note
> > > the spaces between the g and / and t and / .
> > >
> > > Actually, a new reg backup is created automatically each time your
> machine
> > > successfully boots and the last 5 saves are stored. These can be
> accessed
> > > by running SCANREG from the Start/Run dialog box. In any case, it
> > would
> > > be best to create a new backup before the manual regedit and save it
> until
> > > you are sure everything is functioning normally.
> > > Heirloom, old and have to hang some pictures,

Sandy,
I am really not sure what you mean in your post. Usually, jv16
backs up a number of keys that you have designated for removal (those marked
with the green dot, as safe). The only thing I can think of, is that you
may have deleted these items one at a time, thus, creating a number of
backup files. I may be mistaken, but, I thought that jv16 removed the
backup file when it was used in a restoral.....is that not the case? If
you have restored the needed items and still have them in backup, hang on to
them for a while until you are SURE that everything is working
properly....then these items should be safe to dispose of.

I hope that answers your questions.......if not, post back and rephrase so
that this old mind can comprehend. Glad you are back in business, anyway.
Heirloom, old and must get back to loading the XP
box

> [...]
> the
> > > Desktop, rename the extension of the file to, eg., <my registry
> > > backup>.re_, i.e., replace the "g" of .reg with an underline. This
> will
> > > prvent any inadvertent merging of this backup, while reminding you of
> its
> > > intended use.
> > >
> > > And you may wish to consider:
> > >
> > > Change Default Action of REG Files to "Edit."
> > > I recommend you change the default action of Registry files to Edit
> rather
> > > than Merge, so that when you click them they will open in Notepad
> instead
> > of
> > > merging immediately into your Registry.
> > > http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.htm
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

At this point, I'm only dealing with installed programs that remain in the
register. The jv16 tool I dwnld gives u 7 categories to go thru. I haven't
attempted to do anything in the remaining 6 categories. Yes, I have looked
at each of them and saw the green dotted files u refer to. I need a little
more courage to go into these. In the meantime, I will settle for what I
have accomplished thus far. Have noticed a remarkable improvement in some
areas already. Takes half as long to run defrag and the same for Norton Anti
Virus. Have to assume therefore that the process is helping to improve the
overall performance of my system.