Jumper Setting on Second Hard Disk

I am trying to connect a second hard disk
via USB port. Need advice on jumper setting
master.slave on it. My Winme os has one
hard disk partitioned into C: and D: partitions.
E: and F: are DVD writer and dvd player.
Thanks for the advice.
16 answers Last reply
More about jumper setting hard disk

    ASS-U-MEing that you are using a USB-IDE Adapter to connect your second hard
    disk, then it *shouldn't* matter whether it is set to Master or Slave.

    The drive will show up as the next available drive letter.

    HTH

    Mart

    "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
    >I am trying to connect a second hard disk
    > via USB port. Need advice on jumper setting
    > master.slave on it. My Winme os has one
    > hard disk partitioned into C: and D: partitions.
    > E: and F: are DVD writer and dvd player.
    > Thanks for the advice.

    Mart
    Thanks for your attention.
    I am not very much familiar with the
    USB hardware.
    This is a small little box/cady with USB
    connections and the hard disk firmly placed
    in the box and connect to USB port with
    the cable supplied. Can it work without
    master/slave jumper clip on it.

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    ASS-U-MEing that you are using a USB-IDE Adapter to connect your second hard
    disk, then it *shouldn't* matter whether it is set to Master or Slave.

    The drive will show up as the next available drive letter.

    HTH

    Mart

    "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
    >I am trying to connect a second hard disk
    > via USB port. Need advice on jumper setting
    > master.slave on it. My Winme os has one
    > hard disk partitioned into C: and D: partitions.
    > E: and F: are DVD writer and dvd player.
    > Thanks for the advice.

    Mine is a 'Maplins' (I note you are in the UK) USB2-IDE Adapter which has
    been superseded by a later version (caddie etc.) and the box says :-
    "Support for a single ATA/ATAPI device configured as either at master or
    slave mode."

    I do know that it doesn't matter which way it is set - but have never tried
    it without a jumper <g>

    However, it will not run two disks (master AND slave) - it is not designed
    to do that, so I would therefore 'guess' that the lack of a link makes no
    difference.

    If you REALLY need to know, I'll try in the morning - I've got to go and
    hunt it out and it's a bit late now <g>

    BTW - It is a VERY useful device - I've used it recover some very critical
    data from several 'failed' HDD's to my laptop before having to
    repair/reformat/scrap the disks.

    > Mart
    > Thanks for your attention.
    > I am not very much familiar with the
    > USB hardware.
    > This is a small little box/cady with USB
    > connections and the hard disk firmly placed
    > in the box and connect to USB port with
    > the cable supplied. Can it work without
    > master/slave jumper clip on it.
    >
    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > ASS-U-MEing that you are using a USB-IDE Adapter to connect your second
    > hard
    > disk, then it *shouldn't* matter whether it is set to Master or Slave.
    >
    > The drive will show up as the next available drive letter.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
    >>I am trying to connect a second hard disk
    >> via USB port. Need advice on jumper setting
    >> master.slave on it. My Winme os has one
    >> hard disk partitioned into C: and D: partitions.
    >> E: and F: are DVD writer and dvd player.
    >> Thanks for the advice.

    Mart
    Very many thanks.
    The box says "supporting various types
    of IDE 3.5 inch hard disks".

    Mine is a 'Maplins' (I note you are in the UK) USB2-IDE Adapter which has
    been superseded by a later version (caddie etc.) and the box says :-
    "Support for a single ATA/ATAPI device configured as either at master or
    slave mode."

    I do know that it doesn't matter which way it is set - but have never tried
    it without a jumper <g>

    However, it will not run two disks (master AND slave) - it is not designed
    to do that, so I would therefore 'guess' that the lack of a link makes no
    difference.

    If you REALLY need to know, I'll try in the morning - I've got to go and
    hunt it out and it's a bit late now <g>

    BTW - It is a VERY useful device - I've used it recover some very critical
    data from several 'failed' HDD's to my laptop before having to
    repair/reformat/scrap the disks.

    Mart

    "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
    > Mart
    > Thanks for your attention.
    > I am not very much familiar with the
    > USB hardware.
    > This is a small little box/cady with USB
    > connections and the hard disk firmly placed
    > in the box and connect to USB port with
    > the cable supplied. Can it work without
    > master/slave jumper clip on it.
    >
    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > ASS-U-MEing that you are using a USB-IDE Adapter to connect your second
    > hard
    > disk, then it *shouldn't* matter whether it is set to Master or Slave.
    >
    > The drive will show up as the next available drive letter.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
    >>I am trying to connect a second hard disk
    >> via USB port. Need advice on jumper setting
    >> master.slave on it. My Winme os has one
    >> hard disk partitioned into C: and D: partitions.
    >> E: and F: are DVD writer and dvd player.
    >> Thanks for the advice.

    AHH,

    FWIW - Just tried a Seagate 40G HDD :-
    No link=Slave - not recognised
    Link=Master - recognised
    Link=CS - recognised

    (But I'm sure that I've tried it on an 'older' drive which required the link
    to be in either Master or Slave position - with success.)

    BTW - My adapter is a connector only (inc. psu) - no caddie/box - and so
    will readily accept a CD-ROM etc., plus, it can be connected 'in-situ'
    without having to physically remove a 'suspect' drive in a working
    environment - *VERY* useful <g>

    AND if the USB end is hooked up to an XP box, will read NTFS drives of
    course - even more useful <bg>

    The Adapter has paid for itself in saved time, many times over. The bonus
    being that you can use it for a second drive <vbg>

    > Mart
    > Very many thanks.
    > The box says "supporting various types
    > of IDE 3.5 inch hard disks".
    >

    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > Mine is a 'Maplins' (I note you are in the UK) USB2-IDE Adapter which has
    > been superseded by a later version (caddie etc.) and the box says :-
    > "Support for a single ATA/ATAPI device configured as either at master or
    > slave mode."
    >
    > I do know that it doesn't matter which way it is set - but have never
    > tried
    > it without a jumper <g>
    >
    > However, it will not run two disks (master AND slave) - it is not designed
    > to do that, so I would therefore 'guess' that the lack of a link makes no
    > difference.
    >
    > If you REALLY need to know, I'll try in the morning - I've got to go and
    > hunt it out and it's a bit late now <g>
    >
    > BTW - It is a VERY useful device - I've used it recover some very critical
    > data from several 'failed' HDD's to my laptop before having to
    > repair/reformat/scrap the disks.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
    >> Mart
    >> Thanks for your attention.
    >> I am not very much familiar with the
    >> USB hardware.
    >> This is a small little box/cady with USB
    >> connections and the hard disk firmly placed
    >> in the box and connect to USB port with
    >> the cable supplied. Can it work without
    >> master/slave jumper clip on it.
    >>
    >> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    >> ASS-U-MEing that you are using a USB-IDE Adapter to connect your second
    >> hard
    >> disk, then it *shouldn't* matter whether it is set to Master or Slave.
    >>
    >> The drive will show up as the next available drive letter.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
    >>>I am trying to connect a second hard disk
    >>> via USB port. Need advice on jumper setting
    >>> master.slave on it. My Winme os has one
    >>> hard disk partitioned into C: and D: partitions.
    >>> E: and F: are DVD writer and dvd player.
    >>> Thanks for the advice.

    Mart
    Thank you very much the useful information.

    Perhaps you could give some advice on this
    matter.
    My USB port is working OK. I am using
    pen memory drive without any problem.
    It becomes G: Removal Disk Drive.
    Now I plugged in this unit with hard drive
    and the cable supplied. There is no error
    message. WinMe os loads the USB removal
    hard disk. The property sheet on device
    manager says "this device is working properly"
    I cannot see it in the explorer error in the
    My Computer folder. It is supposed to be
    G: drive but nothing there.
    When I re-plug the pen drive memory stick, it
    is fine again.
    Your help would be highly appreciated.

> [...]

    >> USB hardware.
    >> This is a small little box/cady with USB
    >> connections and the hard disk firmly placed
    >> in the box and connect to USB port with
    >> the cable supplied. Can it work without
    >> master/slave jumper clip on it.
    >>
    >> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    >> ASS-U-MEing that you are using a USB-IDE Adapter to connect your second
    >> hard
    >> disk, then it *shouldn't* matter whether it is set to Master or Slave.
    >>
    >> The drive will show up as the next available drive letter.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
    >>>I am trying to connect a second hard disk
    >>> via USB port. Need advice on jumper setting
    >>> master.slave on it. My Winme os has one
    >>> hard disk partitioned into C: and D: partitions.
    >>> E: and F: are DVD writer and dvd player.

    Have you partitioned and formatted the hard drive? Until you do so it
    will only be seen in the Device Manager but not in Windows Explorer.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    AAH <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote:

    > Mart
    > Thank you very much the useful information.
    >
    > Perhaps you could give some advice on this
    > matter.
    > My USB port is working OK. I am using
    > pen memory drive without any problem.
    > It becomes G: Removal Disk Drive.
    > Now I plugged in this unit with hard drive
    > and the cable supplied. There is no error
    > message. WinMe os loads the USB removal
    > hard disk. The property sheet on device
    > manager says "this device is working properly"
    > I cannot see it in the explorer error in the
    > My Computer folder. It is supposed to be
    > G: drive but nothing there.
    > When I re-plug the pen drive memory stick, it
    > is fine again.
    > Your help would be highly appreciated.

    Mike
    Very kind of you for the reference. I had something like that in mind it is
    sealed in the
    unit, How do I access it to format it?

    Have you partitioned and formatted the hard drive? Until you do so it
    will only be seen in the Device Manager but not in Windows Explorer.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    AAH <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote:

    > Mart
    > Thank you very much the useful information.
    >
    > Perhaps you could give some advice on this
    > matter.
    > My USB port is working OK. I am using
    > pen memory drive without any problem.
    > It becomes G: Removal Disk Drive.
    > Now I plugged in this unit with hard drive
    > and the cable supplied. There is no error
    > message. WinMe os loads the USB removal
    > hard disk. The property sheet on device
    > manager says "this device is working properly"
    > I cannot see it in the explorer error in the
    > My Computer folder. It is supposed to be
    > G: drive but nothing there.
    > When I re-plug the pen drive memory stick, it
    > is fine again.
    > Your help would be highly appreciated.

    AAH <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote:

    > Very kind of you for the reference. I had something like that in mind
    > it is sealed in the
    > unit, How do I access it to format it?

    Try the following:
    Open a DOS windows in Win Me and then use FCHK to a) switch to the new
    disk and b) partition it. Reboot (may not be necessary). You should now
    be able to see the drive in Windows Explorer after which you should be
    able to FORMAT it (you can also do this from DOS if preferred).

    Best of luck,
    --
    Mike M

    Mike
    Very many thanks.
    It is ok now. I used partition Magic.
    Thanks once again.

    AAH <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote:

    > Very kind of you for the reference. I had something like that in mind
    > it is sealed in the
    > unit, How do I access it to format it?

    Try the following:
    Open a DOS windows in Win Me and then use FCHK to a) switch to the new
    disk and b) partition it. Reboot (may not be necessary). You should now
    be able to see the drive in Windows Explorer after which you should be
    able to FORMAT it (you can also do this from DOS if preferred).

    Best of luck,
    --
    Mike M

    Mart
    Thank you very much for the very valuable
    information.
    It is ok now. Partition Magic has solved
    the problem.
    Thanks once again,

> [...]

    >> USB hardware.
    >> This is a small little box/cady with USB
    >> connections and the hard disk firmly placed
    >> in the box and connect to USB port with
    >> the cable supplied. Can it work without
    >> master/slave jumper clip on it.
    >>
    >> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    >> ASS-U-MEing that you are using a USB-IDE Adapter to connect your second
    >> hard
    >> disk, then it *shouldn't* matter whether it is set to Master or Slave.
    >>
    >> The drive will show up as the next available drive letter.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
    >>>I am trying to connect a second hard disk
    >>> via USB port. Need advice on jumper setting
    >>> master.slave on it. My Winme os has one
    >>> hard disk partitioned into C: and D: partitions.
    >>> E: and F: are DVD writer and dvd player.

    Mike,

    Shouldn't FCHK read FDISK? <g>

    AAH,

    Just to amplify Mike's suggestion, you might find the following site helpful
    :-
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=E*UlQR3h&p_lva=&p_faqid=1051

    Mart

    > AAH <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Very kind of you for the reference. I had something like that in mind
    >> it is sealed in the
    >> unit, How do I access it to format it?
    >
    > Try the following:
    > Open a DOS windows in Win Me and then use FCHK to a) switch to the new
    > disk and b) partition it. Reboot (may not be necessary). You should now
    > be able to see the drive in Windows Explorer after which you should be
    > able to FORMAT it (you can also do this from DOS if preferred).
    >
    > Best of luck,
    > --
    > Mike M

    I've just tagged a reply on Mikes thread. <g>

    However - Good to know you've got it working OK

    And - as a matter of interest - do the master/slave jumpers make any
    difference to your unit?

> [...]
    >> critical
    >> data from several 'failed' HDD's to my laptop before having to
    >> repair/reformat/scrap the disks.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
    >>> Mart
    >>> Thanks for your attention.
    >>> I am not very much familiar with the
    >>> USB hardware.
    >>> This is a small little box/cady with USB
    >>> connections and the hard disk firmly placed
    >>> in the box and connect to USB port with
    >>> the cable supplied. Can it work without
    >>> master/slave jumper clip on it.
    >>>
    >>> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    >>> ASS-U-MEing that you are using a USB-IDE Adapter to connect your second
    >>> hard
    >>> disk, then it *shouldn't* matter whether it is set to Master or Slave.
    >>>
    >>> The drive will show up as the next available drive letter.

    That's good to read.
    --
    Mike

    AAH <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote:

    > Mike
    > Very many thanks.
    > It is ok now. I used partition Magic.
    > Thanks once again.

    > Shouldn't FCHK read FDISK? <g>

    Of course it should. <vbg> For some reason I always seem to make that
    error. :-((((
    --
    Mike

    Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:

    > Mike,
    >
    > Shouldn't FCHK read FDISK? <g>
    >
    > AAH,
    >
    > Just to amplify Mike's suggestion, you might find the following site
    > helpful :-
    > http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=E*UlQR3h&p_lva=&p_faqid=1051

    Mart
    It is set at Master. Sorry I have not tried it
    at slave.

> [...]

    >> critical
    >> data from several 'failed' HDD's to my laptop before having to
    >> repair/reformat/scrap the disks.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
    >>> Mart
    >>> Thanks for your attention.
    >>> I am not very much familiar with the
    >>> USB hardware.
    >>> This is a small little box/cady with USB
    >>> connections and the hard disk firmly placed
    >>> in the box and connect to USB port with
    >>> the cable supplied. Can it work without
    >>> master/slave jumper clip on it.
    >>>
    >>> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    >>> ASS-U-MEing that you are using a USB-IDE Adapter to connect your second
    >>> hard
    >>> disk, then it *shouldn't* matter whether it is set to Master or Slave.
    >>>
    >>> The drive will show up as the next available drive letter.

Hard Drives Jumper Windows