Jumper Setting on Second Hard Disk

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 21, 2005 4:03:34 AM

I am trying to connect a second hard disk
via USB port. Need advice on jumper setting
master.slave on it. My Winme os has one
hard disk partitioned into C: and D: partitions.
E: and F: are DVD writer and dvd player.
Thanks for the advice.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 4:16:54 AM

ASS-U-MEing that you are using a USB-IDE Adapter to connect your second hard
disk, then it *shouldn't* matter whether it is set to Master or Slave.

The drive will show up as the next available drive letter.

HTH

Mart

"AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
>I am trying to connect a second hard disk
> via USB port. Need advice on jumper setting
> master.slave on it. My Winme os has one
> hard disk partitioned into C: and D: partitions.
> E: and F: are DVD writer and dvd player.
> Thanks for the advice.

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 4:35:36 AM

Mart
Thanks for your attention.
I am not very much familiar with the
USB hardware.
This is a small little box/cady with USB
connections and the hard disk firmly placed
in the box and connect to USB port with
the cable supplied. Can it work without
master/slave jumper clip on it.

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
news:o BuQEIZXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
ASS-U-MEing that you are using a USB-IDE Adapter to connect your second hard
disk, then it *shouldn't* matter whether it is set to Master or Slave.

The drive will show up as the next available drive letter.

HTH

Mart

"AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
>I am trying to connect a second hard disk
> via USB port. Need advice on jumper setting
> master.slave on it. My Winme os has one
> hard disk partitioned into C: and D: partitions.
> E: and F: are DVD writer and dvd player.
> Thanks for the advice.

May 21, 2005 5:01:01 AM

Mine is a 'Maplins' (I note you are in the UK) USB2-IDE Adapter which has
been superseded by a later version (caddie etc.) and the box says :-
"Support for a single ATA/ATAPI device configured as either at master or
slave mode."

I do know that it doesn't matter which way it is set - but have never tried
it without a jumper <g>

However, it will not run two disks (master AND slave) - it is not designed
to do that, so I would therefore 'guess' that the lack of a link makes no
difference.

If you REALLY need to know, I'll try in the morning - I've got to go and
hunt it out and it's a bit late now <g>

BTW - It is a VERY useful device - I've used it recover some very critical
data from several 'failed' HDD's to my laptop before having to
repair/reformat/scrap the disks.

> Mart
> Thanks for your attention.
> I am not very much familiar with the
> USB hardware.
> This is a small little box/cady with USB
> connections and the hard disk firmly placed
> in the box and connect to USB port with
> the cable supplied. Can it work without
> master/slave jumper clip on it.
>
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> news:o BuQEIZXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> ASS-U-MEing that you are using a USB-IDE Adapter to connect your second
> hard
> disk, then it *shouldn't* matter whether it is set to Master or Slave.
>
> The drive will show up as the next available drive letter.
>
> HTH
>
> Mart
>

> "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
>>I am trying to connect a second hard disk
>> via USB port. Need advice on jumper setting
>> master.slave on it. My Winme os has one
>> hard disk partitioned into C: and D: partitions.
>> E: and F: are DVD writer and dvd player.
>> Thanks for the advice.

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 6:12:35 AM

Mart
Very many thanks.
The box says "supporting various types
of IDE 3.5 inch hard disks".

Mine is a 'Maplins' (I note you are in the UK) USB2-IDE Adapter which has
been superseded by a later version (caddie etc.) and the box says :-
"Support for a single ATA/ATAPI device configured as either at master or
slave mode."

I do know that it doesn't matter which way it is set - but have never tried
it without a jumper <g>

However, it will not run two disks (master AND slave) - it is not designed
to do that, so I would therefore 'guess' that the lack of a link makes no
difference.

If you REALLY need to know, I'll try in the morning - I've got to go and
hunt it out and it's a bit late now <g>

BTW - It is a VERY useful device - I've used it recover some very critical
data from several 'failed' HDD's to my laptop before having to
repair/reformat/scrap the disks.

Mart

"AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
> Mart
> Thanks for your attention.
> I am not very much familiar with the
> USB hardware.
> This is a small little box/cady with USB
> connections and the hard disk firmly placed
> in the box and connect to USB port with
> the cable supplied. Can it work without
> master/slave jumper clip on it.
>
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> news:o BuQEIZXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> ASS-U-MEing that you are using a USB-IDE Adapter to connect your second
> hard
> disk, then it *shouldn't* matter whether it is set to Master or Slave.
>
> The drive will show up as the next available drive letter.
>
> HTH
>
> Mart
>

> "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
>>I am trying to connect a second hard disk
>> via USB port. Need advice on jumper setting
>> master.slave on it. My Winme os has one
>> hard disk partitioned into C: and D: partitions.
>> E: and F: are DVD writer and dvd player.
>> Thanks for the advice.

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 1:56:12 PM

AHH,

FWIW - Just tried a Seagate 40G HDD :-
No link=Slave - not recognised
Link=Master - recognised
Link=CS - recognised

(But I'm sure that I've tried it on an 'older' drive which required the link
to be in either Master or Slave position - with success.)

BTW - My adapter is a connector only (inc. psu) - no caddie/box - and so
will readily accept a CD-ROM etc., plus, it can be connected 'in-situ'
without having to physically remove a 'suspect' drive in a working
environment - *VERY* useful <g>

AND if the USB end is hooked up to an XP box, will read NTFS drives of
course - even more useful <bg>

The Adapter has paid for itself in saved time, many times over. The bonus
being that you can use it for a second drive <vbg>

> Mart
> Very many thanks.
> The box says "supporting various types
> of IDE 3.5 inch hard disks".
>

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Mine is a 'Maplins' (I note you are in the UK) USB2-IDE Adapter which has
> been superseded by a later version (caddie etc.) and the box says :-
> "Support for a single ATA/ATAPI device configured as either at master or
> slave mode."
>
> I do know that it doesn't matter which way it is set - but have never
> tried
> it without a jumper <g>
>
> However, it will not run two disks (master AND slave) - it is not designed
> to do that, so I would therefore 'guess' that the lack of a link makes no
> difference.
>
> If you REALLY need to know, I'll try in the morning - I've got to go and
> hunt it out and it's a bit late now <g>
>
> BTW - It is a VERY useful device - I've used it recover some very critical
> data from several 'failed' HDD's to my laptop before having to
> repair/reformat/scrap the disks.
>
> Mart
>

> "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
>> Mart
>> Thanks for your attention.
>> I am not very much familiar with the
>> USB hardware.
>> This is a small little box/cady with USB
>> connections and the hard disk firmly placed
>> in the box and connect to USB port with
>> the cable supplied. Can it work without
>> master/slave jumper clip on it.
>>
>> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> news:o BuQEIZXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> ASS-U-MEing that you are using a USB-IDE Adapter to connect your second
>> hard
>> disk, then it *shouldn't* matter whether it is set to Master or Slave.
>>
>> The drive will show up as the next available drive letter.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
>>>I am trying to connect a second hard disk
>>> via USB port. Need advice on jumper setting
>>> master.slave on it. My Winme os has one
>>> hard disk partitioned into C: and D: partitions.
>>> E: and F: are DVD writer and dvd player.
>>> Thanks for the advice.

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 4:47:48 PM

Mart
Thank you very much the useful information.

Perhaps you could give some advice on this
matter.
My USB port is working OK. I am using
pen memory drive without any problem.
It becomes G: Removal Disk Drive.
Now I plugged in this unit with hard drive
and the cable supplied. There is no error
message. WinMe os loads the USB removal
hard disk. The property sheet on device
manager says "this device is working properly"
I cannot see it in the explorer error in the
My Computer folder. It is supposed to be
G: drive but nothing there.
When I re-plug the pen drive memory stick, it
is fine again.
Your help would be highly appreciated.

> [...]

>> This is a small little box/cady with USB
>> connections and the hard disk firmly placed
>> in the box and connect to USB port with
>> the cable supplied. Can it work without
>> master/slave jumper clip on it.
>>
>> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> news:o BuQEIZXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> ASS-U-MEing that you are using a USB-IDE Adapter to connect your second
>> hard
>> disk, then it *shouldn't* matter whether it is set to Master or Slave.
>>
>> The drive will show up as the next available drive letter.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
>>>I am trying to connect a second hard disk
>>> via USB port. Need advice on jumper setting
>>> master.slave on it. My Winme os has one
>>> hard disk partitioned into C: and D: partitions.
>>> E: and F: are DVD writer and dvd player.

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 4:52:59 PM

Have you partitioned and formatted the hard drive? Until you do so it
will only be seen in the Device Manager but not in Windows Explorer.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

AAH <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote:

> Mart
> Thank you very much the useful information.
>
> Perhaps you could give some advice on this
> matter.
> My USB port is working OK. I am using
> pen memory drive without any problem.
> It becomes G: Removal Disk Drive.
> Now I plugged in this unit with hard drive
> and the cable supplied. There is no error
> message. WinMe os loads the USB removal
> hard disk. The property sheet on device
> manager says "this device is working properly"
> I cannot see it in the explorer error in the
> My Computer folder. It is supposed to be
> G: drive but nothing there.
> When I re-plug the pen drive memory stick, it
> is fine again.
> Your help would be highly appreciated.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 5:25:03 PM

Mike
Very kind of you for the reference. I had something like that in mind it is
sealed in the
unit, How do I access it to format it?

Have you partitioned and formatted the hard drive? Until you do so it
will only be seen in the Device Manager but not in Windows Explorer.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

AAH <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote:

> Mart
> Thank you very much the useful information.
>
> Perhaps you could give some advice on this
> matter.
> My USB port is working OK. I am using
> pen memory drive without any problem.
> It becomes G: Removal Disk Drive.
> Now I plugged in this unit with hard drive
> and the cable supplied. There is no error
> message. WinMe os loads the USB removal
> hard disk. The property sheet on device
> manager says "this device is working properly"
> I cannot see it in the explorer error in the
> My Computer folder. It is supposed to be
> G: drive but nothing there.
> When I re-plug the pen drive memory stick, it
> is fine again.
> Your help would be highly appreciated.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 5:46:38 PM

AAH <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote:

> Very kind of you for the reference. I had something like that in mind
> it is sealed in the
> unit, How do I access it to format it?

Try the following:
Open a DOS windows in Win Me and then use FCHK to a) switch to the new
disk and b) partition it. Reboot (may not be necessary). You should now
be able to see the drive in Windows Explorer after which you should be
able to FORMAT it (you can also do this from DOS if preferred).

Best of luck,
--
Mike M
Anonymous

Mike
Very many thanks.
It is ok now. I used partition Magic.
Thanks once again.

AAH <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote:

> Very kind of you for the reference. I had something like that in mind
> it is sealed in the
> unit, How do I access it to format it?

Try the following:
Open a DOS windows in Win Me and then use FCHK to a) switch to the new
disk and b) partition it. Reboot (may not be necessary). You should now
be able to see the drive in Windows Explorer after which you should be
able to FORMAT it (you can also do this from DOS if preferred).

Best of luck,
--
Mike M
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 6:15:13 PM

Mart
Thank you very much for the very valuable
information.
It is ok now. Partition Magic has solved
the problem.
Thanks once again,

> [...]

>> This is a small little box/cady with USB
>> connections and the hard disk firmly placed
>> in the box and connect to USB port with
>> the cable supplied. Can it work without
>> master/slave jumper clip on it.
>>
>> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> news:o BuQEIZXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> ASS-U-MEing that you are using a USB-IDE Adapter to connect your second
>> hard
>> disk, then it *shouldn't* matter whether it is set to Master or Slave.
>>
>> The drive will show up as the next available drive letter.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
>>>I am trying to connect a second hard disk
>>> via USB port. Need advice on jumper setting
>>> master.slave on it. My Winme os has one
>>> hard disk partitioned into C: and D: partitions.
>>> E: and F: are DVD writer and dvd player.

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 6:24:09 PM

Mike,

Shouldn't FCHK read FDISK? <g>

AAH,

Just to amplify Mike's suggestion, you might find the following site helpful
:-
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std...*UlQR3h&p_lva=&p_faqid=1051

Mart

> AAH <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote:
>
>> Very kind of you for the reference. I had something like that in mind
>> it is sealed in the
>> unit, How do I access it to format it?
>
> Try the following:
> Open a DOS windows in Win Me and then use FCHK to a) switch to the new
> disk and b) partition it. Reboot (may not be necessary). You should now
> be able to see the drive in Windows Explorer after which you should be
> able to FORMAT it (you can also do this from DOS if preferred).
>
> Best of luck,
> --
> Mike M
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 6:27:30 PM

I've just tagged a reply on Mikes thread. <g>

However - Good to know you've got it working OK

And - as a matter of interest - do the master/slave jumpers make any
difference to your unit?

news:o 3Rv4cgXFHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> data from several 'failed' HDD's to my laptop before having to
>> repair/reformat/scrap the disks.
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
>>> Mart
>>> Thanks for your attention.
>>> I am not very much familiar with the
>>> USB hardware.
>>> This is a small little box/cady with USB
>>> connections and the hard disk firmly placed
>>> in the box and connect to USB port with
>>> the cable supplied. Can it work without
>>> master/slave jumper clip on it.
>>>
>>> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>>> news:o BuQEIZXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> ASS-U-MEing that you are using a USB-IDE Adapter to connect your second
>>> hard
>>> disk, then it *shouldn't* matter whether it is set to Master or Slave.
>>>
>>> The drive will show up as the next available drive letter.

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 6:55:15 PM

That's good to read.
--
Mike

AAH <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote:

> Mike
> Very many thanks.
> It is ok now. I used partition Magic.
> Thanks once again.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 6:55:45 PM

> Shouldn't FCHK read FDISK? <g>

Of course it should. <vbg> For some reason I always seem to make that
error. :-((((
--
Mike

Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Shouldn't FCHK read FDISK? <g>
>
> AAH,
>
> Just to amplify Mike's suggestion, you might find the following site
> helpful :-
> http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std...*UlQR3h&p_lva=&p_faqid=1051
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 10:25:29 PM

Mart
It is set at Master. Sorry I have not tried it
at slave.

news:o n3CYjgXFHA.2684@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

!