Color settings on computer

My computer seems to be permenently set on a 16 color setting. I go to
settings and change it to either 256 or thehighest setting and then hit
apply. It prompts you to reboot. i reboot and the color settings are still on
16.

It didn't used to be like this. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about color settings computer

    "sj" <sj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer seems to be permenently set on a 16 color setting. I go to
    > settings and change it to either 256 or thehighest setting and then
    hit
    > apply. It prompts you to reboot. i reboot and the color settings are
    still on
    > 16.
    >
    > It didn't used to be like this. Any help or suggestions would be
    appreciated.

    > Thanks

    Go to Control Panel/System/Device Manager tab
    Click on Display Adaptors to see your graphics adaptor, select it and
    click on Remove button.
    Reboot your computer.
    It will automatically be re-installed and (hopefully) all should be well
    and back to normal.
    regards Mike.

    Thanks for the answer. But for some reason there is no "System" icon in my
    control panel. it is plainly there on my other two computers but not on the
    one in question. i have searched for it a half dozen different ways but
    can''t find device manage anywhere. I can easily find it on the other
    computers so I don;t beleive I'm crazy. What else should I do.

    Thanks again

    Scott Johnson

    "Mike Cawood, HND BIT" wrote:

    > "sj" <sj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My computer seems to be permenently set on a 16 color setting. I go to
    > > settings and change it to either 256 or thehighest setting and then
    > hit
    > > apply. It prompts you to reboot. i reboot and the color settings are
    > still on
    > > 16.
    > >
    > > It didn't used to be like this. Any help or suggestions would be
    > appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > Go to Control Panel/System/Device Manager tab
    > Click on Display Adaptors to see your graphics adaptor, select it and
    > click on Remove button.
    > Reboot your computer.
    > It will automatically be re-installed and (hopefully) all should be well
    > and back to normal.
    > regards Mike.

    Scott,

    Try right clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    sj <sj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Thanks for the answer. But for some reason there is no "System" icon
    > in my control panel. it is plainly there on my other two computers
    > but not on the one in question. i have searched for it a half dozen
    > different ways but can''t find device manage anywhere. I can easily
    > find it on the other computers so I don;t beleive I'm crazy. What
    > else should I do.
    >
    > Thanks again

    That's where it was at. I knew it was on there somewhere. I did what you
    said and thaat solved th problem too.

    Thanks from a neophyte.

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > Scott,
    >
    > Try right clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > sj <sj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the answer. But for some reason there is no "System" icon
    > > in my control panel. it is plainly there on my other two computers
    > > but not on the one in question. i have searched for it a half dozen
    > > different ways but can''t find device manage anywhere. I can easily
    > > find it on the other computers so I don;t beleive I'm crazy. What
    > > else should I do.
    > >
    > > Thanks again

    Perhaps TweakUI has been used to hide the icon??

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > Scott,
    >
    > Try right clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > sj <sj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the answer. But for some reason there is no "System" icon
    >> in my control panel. it is plainly there on my other two computers
    >> but not on the one in question. i have searched for it a half dozen
    >> different ways but can''t find device manage anywhere. I can easily
    >> find it on the other computers so I don;t beleive I'm crazy. What
    >> else should I do. Thanks again

    Cold be!.
    --
    Mike M

    Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    > Perhaps TweakUI has been used to hide the icon??

    Cold??? That should have read "Could be" <g>
    --
    Mike

    Mike M <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

    > Cold be!.
    >
    >> Perhaps TweakUI has been used to hide the icon??

    That's three in the last two days, Mike - out of coffee? <g>

    Mart

    > Cold??? That should have read "Could be" <g>
    > --
    > Mike
    >

    > Mike M <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
    >
    >> Cold be!.
    >>
    >>> Perhaps TweakUI has been used to hide the icon??

    Thanks for the feedback. I'm pleased to read you fixed the problem.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    sj <sj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > That's where it was at. I knew it was on there somewhere. I did what
    > you said and thaat solved th problem too.
    >
    > Thanks from a neophyte.

Computers Microsoft Windows