Kerio

KB

I've migrated from ZA Free to Kerio due to
conflicts/lockups associated with ZA Free.

Could someone please provide configuration 'best
practices' for Kerio?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

KB

On Fri, 20 May 2005 21:33:28 -0700, KB wrote:

> I've migrated from ZA Free to Kerio due to
> conflicts/lockups associated with ZA Free.
>
> Could someone please provide configuration 'best
> practices' for Kerio?
>
> Any suggestions are much appreciated.
>
> KB

Which version of Kerio? Some of us KPF users remained on version 2.1.5.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

KB

After reading the posts here, I went with version 2.1.5.

Are there ever definition updates? ZA was a lot fancier
and had more features that I'm not finding in Kerio.
That, in itself, doesn't bother me but I'd like to have
Kerio set up as well as I can.

Thanks, Norman.

KB

"KB" wrote:
> After reading the posts here, I went with version 2.1.5.
>
> Are there ever definition updates? ZA was a lot fancier
> and had more features that I'm not finding in Kerio.
> That, in itself, doesn't bother me but I'd like to have
> Kerio set up as well as I can.

Kerio v2.1.5 is a bare-bones, small footprint software firewall.
I've been running it for years without any issues.

There are no updates for this particular build since it works.
Comparing Kerio to ZA would be like comparing apples to oranges.

If you like a user-controlled, rules-based package, it's for you.
Support; <http://www.dslreports.com/forum/kerio>

Regards,
Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)

siljaline wrote:

> Comparing Kerio to ZA would be like comparing apples to oranges.

well so much for my next question...

<g>

Rick

Shane

> There are no updates for this particular build since it works.
> Comparing Kerio to ZA would be like comparing apples to oranges.

Horse apples, that is. Kerio is the oranges.

Shane

> Horse apples, that is. Kerio is the oranges.

I didn't say that...
Or, should I?

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)

Shane

I just feel someone should speak up for apples.

Shane

KB wrote:
> I've migrated from ZA Free to Kerio due to
> conflicts/lockups associated with ZA Free.
>
> Could someone please provide configuration 'best
> practices' for Kerio?
>
> Any suggestions are much appreciated.
>
> KB
There are links to both the older, but extremely streamlined and
functional, version 2.1.5, AND 3 different configuration file sets at
Sponge's page: www.geocities.com/yosponge.

KB

I went back to Zone Alarm, big footprint and all. The latest version seems
to run without lockups. For a newbie, it's very friendly.

Shane:
If I need to write my own ruleset program (should Kerio get lost), what's
the advantage?

Bad Apple

p.s. Unnecessary flogging not required.

Thanks, Shane.

"KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> I went back to Zone Alarm, big footprint and all. The latest version
seems
> to run without lockups. For a newbie, it's very friendly.

That's the thing about ZA - when it works it's the ideal software firewall
for newbs.

> Shane:
> If I need to write my own ruleset program (should Kerio get lost), what's
> the advantage?

Would you like to rephrase that, KB? I don't entirely understand the
question.

> Bad Apple

<g>

> p.s. Unnecessary flogging not required.

The word Knackers comes to mind?

Shane

KB

Shane:
To elaborate, I read a post you had to Harry (webster72) offering to send
him your written program that created backups of the rulesets, or something
of the sort. I recalled you mentioning that, at times (18 mo. - 24 mo.),
Kerio had lost it's ruleset although it could have been user related.

Anyway, the version of ZA I'm running seems good. No lockups, passed
'shields up' with flying colors.

"The word Knackers comes to mind"
<lol>

Thanks, Shane.

Take care.

KB

> "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> > I went back to Zone Alarm, big footprint and all. The latest version
> seems
> > to run without lockups. For a newbie, it's very friendly.
> >

> That's the thing about ZA - when it works it's the ideal software firewall
> for newbs.
>
> > Shane:
> > If I need to write my own ruleset program (should Kerio get lost),
what's
> > the advantage?
>
> Would you like to rephrase that, KB? I don't entirely understand the
> question.
>

> > Bad Apple
> >

> <g>
>
> > p.s. Unnecessary flogging not required.
>
> The word Knackers comes to mind?
>

> Shane

Shane

Fine, KB.

Though it's not *(could have been) user related*, but may be an
incompatibility with some other software (in which the other software is the
antagonist). However, the evidence is, so far, circumstantial. Something
that happens at the most only once a year is difficult to pin down! It may
equally be a little-known vulnerability in the firewall. At least such
cannot be ruled out.

This is the batch (.bat) script for backing up the ruleset once per day:

----------------

@echo off
cls
if "%bu_loop%"=="1" goto Kerio2
echo.| date | find "Current" > curren1.bat
echo set etfday=%%3 %%4> current.bat
call curren1
echo %etfday% >current.tmp
if not exist today.txt goto Kerio1
fc current.tmp today.txt >curren1.tmp
find "encountered" curren1.tmp
if errorlevel==0 if not errorlevel==1 goto deltmps
:Kerio1
if not exist "C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall\nul" goto deltmps
if not exist C:\Kerio_BU\nul MD C:\Kerio_BU
set bu_dir=BU1 BU2 BU3 BU4 BU5 BU6 BU7
set bu_loop=1
call run_etf %bu_dir%
:Kerio2
set bu_dir=%1
if not exist C:\Kerio_BU\%bu_dir%\nul MD C:\Kerio_BU\%bu_dir%
if not exist C:\Kerio_BU\%bu_dir%\persfw.conf copy "C:\Program
Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall\*.conf" C:\Kerio_BU\%bu_dir%
if "%bu_dir%"=="BU7" goto Kerio3
shift
goto Kerio2
goto end
:Kerio3
deltree /y C:\Kerio_BU\BU1
move C:\Kerio_BU\BU2 C:\Kerio_BU\BU1
move C:\Kerio_BU\BU3 C:\Kerio_BU\BU2
move C:\Kerio_BU\BU4 C:\Kerio_BU\BU3
move C:\Kerio_BU\BU5 C:\Kerio_BU\BU4
move C:\Kerio_BU\BU6 C:\Kerio_BU\BU5
move C:\Kerio_BU\BU7 C:\Kerio_BU\BU6
MD C:\Kerio_BU\BU7
copy "C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall\*.conf"
C:\Kerio_BU\BU7:deltmps
echo %etfday% >today.txt
if exist curren?.??? del curren?.???
set bu_loop=
set bu_dir=
set etfday=
:end
cls
exit
cls

-----------------

> Shane:
> To elaborate, I read a post you had to Harry (webster72) offering to send
> him your written program that created backups of the rulesets, or
something
> of the sort. I recalled you mentioning that, at times (18 mo. - 24 mo.),
> Kerio had lost it's ruleset although it could have been user related.
>
> Anyway, the version of ZA I'm running seems good. No lockups, passed
> 'shields up' with flying colors.
>
> "The word Knackers comes to mind"
> <lol>
>
> Thanks, Shane.
>
> Take care.
>
> KB
>
> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> > > I went back to Zone Alarm, big footprint and all. The latest version
> > seems
> > > to run without lockups. For a newbie, it's very friendly.
> > >

> > That's the thing about ZA - when it works it's the ideal software
firewall
> > for newbs.
> >
> > > Shane:
> > > If I need to write my own ruleset program (should Kerio get lost),
> what's
> > > the advantage?
> >
> > Would you like to rephrase that, KB? I don't entirely understand the
> > question.
> >

> > > Bad Apple
> > >

> > <g>
> >
> > > p.s. Unnecessary flogging not required.
> >
> > The word Knackers comes to mind?
> >

> > Shane

Shane

Just to add to that, the batch has to be named RUN_ETF.BAT (on account of
it's a stripped down version of one that was originally meant to run
EmptyTempFolders every day and I've left the references in there. That or
every instance of Run_ETF has to be altered to reflect the new name of the
batch).

Also it was originally meant for running in the Command folder, but I
stripped those references out. Now it can be run from anywhere - but it
produces a text file by which it identifies if it's already run "today" (so
it has to be retained, therefore it's best to run from a folder that you
don't spend a lot of time in). Wherever it's run from, a shortcut to the
batch should be made and *that* placed in Start\Programs\Startup.

Also, if cutting and pasting from the previous post, note the wrapped line
at Program Files.

Shane

"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> something
>> of the sort. I recalled you mentioning that, at times (18 mo. - 24 mo.),
>> Kerio had lost it's ruleset although it could have been user related.
>>
>> Anyway, the version of ZA I'm running seems good. No lockups, passed
>> 'shields up' with flying colors.
>>
>> "The word Knackers comes to mind"
>> <lol>
>>
>> Thanks, Shane.
>>
>> Take care.
>>
>> KB
>>
>> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
>> > seems
>> > >

>> > That's the thing about ZA - when it works it's the ideal software
> firewall
>> > for newbs.

>> what's
>> >
>> > Would you like to rephrase that, KB? I don't entirely understand the

Shane

And

C:\Kerio_BU\BU7:deltmps

should be

C:\Kerio_BU\BU7
:deltmps

> [...]
> > set bu_loop=
> > set bu_dir=
> > set etfday=
> > :end
> > cls
> > exit
> > cls
> >
> > -----------------
> >

> > Shane
> >

> > "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> >> Shane:
> >> To elaborate, I read a post you had to Harry (webster72) offering to
send
> >> him your written program that created backups of the rulesets, or
> > something
> >> of the sort. I recalled you mentioning that, at times (18 mo. - 24
mo.),
> >> Kerio had lost it's ruleset although it could have been user related.
> >>
> >> Anyway, the version of ZA I'm running seems good. No lockups, passed

KB

Shane:
I fear that without proper focus (and possibly with) I'd mess this system up
something furious should I attempt to execute this. I do appreciate your
guidance and I'm sure others in the group did too.

I'm not messing with the system much due to time constraints (I'm off to
Road America to watch the superbikes for the weekend. 185Mph down the main,
blistering) as the latest revision (5.5.094.000) ZA is working well and
hasn't killed (locked up) anything yet.

Best Regards,

KB

> Shane:
> I fear that without proper focus (and possibly with) I'd mess this system
up
> something furious should I attempt to execute this. I do appreciate your
> guidance and I'm sure others in the group did too.

Yeah, well, given the perils of copy/pasting into OE, if you did ever want
the file you'd be best off e-mailing me (at the gmail address below).

> I'm not messing with the system much due to time constraints (I'm off to
> Road America to watch the superbikes for the weekend. 185Mph down the
main,

Excellent. Wouldn't mind doing that for myself. I was on the Jota:
http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/images/Jota_Ed.jpg following a guy
on a 750 Yam, to a meet at Thruxton. He said we hit 140! I was just thinking
the other day of hiring a modern superbike and an hour at Brands and seeing
how fast I could go.........

> blistering) as the latest revision (5.5.094.000) ZA is working well and
> hasn't killed (locked up) anything yet.

Glad to hear it. Good luck!

Shane

Is that your sister Shane ?
Joan

Shane wrote:
> Excellent. Wouldn't mind doing that for myself. I was on the Jota:
> http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/images/Jota_Ed.jpg following
> a guy on a 750 Yam, to a meet at Thruxton. He said we hit 140! I was
> just thinking the other day of hiring a modern superbike and an hour
> at Brands and seeing how fast I could go.........

Shane

That's my mum, Joan.

Shane

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Is that your sister Shane ?
> Joan
>

> Shane wrote:
> > Excellent. Wouldn't mind doing that for myself. I was on the Jota:
> > http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/images/Jota_Ed.jpg following
> > a guy on a 750 Yam, to a meet at Thruxton. He said we hit 140! I was
> > just thinking the other day of hiring a modern superbike and an hour
> > at Brands and seeing how fast I could go.........

Nice photo, was going to say that's where you get your looks from but I
don't want to swell your head <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:
> That's my mum, Joan.
>
> Shane

Shane

Heh, she says it herself. I guess it's where I get my big 'ead from too!

> Nice photo, was going to say that's where you get your looks from but I
> don't want to swell your head <g>
> Joan
>

> Shane wrote:
> > That's my mum, Joan.