Connection Problem / Intermit

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a dell laptop with a wireless card that will connect to my WAP54g AP
just fine but after a couple of minutes it will disconnect and will not
reconnect. Any suggestion

Dan

Unfortunately, folks are going to need a lot more information to figure out
the root cause of the issue. Please reply back with the following
information:

What operating system version are you using?
Is Windows managing your wireless connection?
What wireless adapter are you using?
What is the driver version for the adapter?
What is the firmware version on the access point?
What are the security settings for the wireless network?

--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless

"Dan" <dsmacwal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a dell laptop with a wireless card that will connect to my WAP54g
>AP just fine but after a couple of minutes it will disconnect and will not
>reconnect. Any suggestion
>
> Dan

jeff

I have a similar connection problem--I get thrown off the TMobile network
(Starbucks) after between 10 and 30 minutes. This only started happening
about 2 weeks ago. Called TMobile, they were useless. Sony Vaio support tries
to help but is not able to solve it. Can anybody advise? The weird thing is
that my wireless connection works great on my home network; only problems are
on networks that require a password via the browser. (My home network is WEP
enabled)

Answering Jerry's q's below: My vaio is running Windows XP Home with SP2.
The wireless is Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG. The driver is by Intel, 8/7/2004,
version 9.0.0.60. I can't tell you anything about the access points they use
at TMobile--but the problem happened at another hotspot (Boundless WiFi) that
also requires username and password. And it has happened at about 6 different
starbucks in the last two weeks. I am also running Norton Internet Security
2005 and I have tried disabling that and disabling the WIndows Firewall too.
I thought it might be a Norton issue because a few weeks ago my subscription
to Norton service ran out; that's why I disabled it. But nothing has fixed
the problem yet. Any assistance would be gratefully received. Thanks in
Advance.
--
Jeff

"Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" wrote:

> Unfortunately, folks are going to need a lot more information to figure out
> the root cause of the issue. Please reply back with the following
> information:
>
> What operating system version are you using?
> Is Windows managing your wireless connection?
> What wireless adapter are you using?
> What is the driver version for the adapter?
> What is the firmware version on the access point?
> What are the security settings for the wireless network?
>
> --
> Jerry Peterson
> Windows Network Services - Wireless

> "Dan" <dsmacwal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have a dell laptop with a wireless card that will connect to my WAP54g
> >AP just fine but after a couple of minutes it will disconnect and will not
> >reconnect. Any suggestion
> >
> > Dan

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Check and see if you have 802.1x enabled, and if so try turning it off. If
you are using WAP you can't, of course.

Do you have a separate profile setup for each connection?

My driver for the 2200BG is 9.0.1.9--new card.

Clark

"Jeff" <brutus_999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a similar connection problem--I get thrown off the TMobile network
> (Starbucks) after between 10 and 30 minutes. This only started happening
> about 2 weeks ago. Called TMobile, they were useless. Sony Vaio support
> tries
> to help but is not able to solve it. Can anybody advise? The weird thing
> is
> that my wireless connection works great on my home network; only problems
> are
> on networks that require a password via the browser. (My home network is
> WEP
> enabled)
>
> Answering Jerry's q's below: My vaio is running Windows XP Home with SP2.
> The wireless is Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG. The driver is by Intel,
> 8/7/2004,
> version 9.0.0.60. I can't tell you anything about the access points they
> use
> at TMobile--but the problem happened at another hotspot (Boundless WiFi)
> that
> also requires username and password. And it has happened at about 6
> different
> starbucks in the last two weeks. I am also running Norton Internet
> Security
> 2005 and I have tried disabling that and disabling the WIndows Firewall
> too.
> I thought it might be a Norton issue because a few weeks ago my
> subscription
> to Norton service ran out; that's why I disabled it. But nothing has fixed
> the problem yet. Any assistance would be gratefully received. Thanks in
> Advance.
> --
> Jeff

>> rights.
>> "Dan" <dsmacwal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a dell laptop with a wireless card that will connect to my
>> >WAP54g
>> >AP just fine but after a couple of minutes it will disconnect and will
>> >not
>> >reconnect. Any suggestion
>> >
>> > Dan

jeff

Clark,
Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it. How do you turn off 802.1x? In
the properties for my wireless card, it says i have 802.11b/g enabled on
channel 11. Where do i go to set up different profiles for each connection?
Are you referring to TMobile's connection mgr software (I'm not using it on
this pc). I am also starting to think my problems are related to the Intel
wireless card because I notice other weird things in the wireless connection
status box--like it says I've been connected for 20 minutes after I've been
connected for only 2; and it shows only 30,000 bytes received after I've
downloaded a 40 meg file; and most weird of all, after it throws me off,
sometimes it shows I'm disconnected in that box but if i go to the browser
window and log into tmobile i get online and keep surfing--while the wireless
status says I'm disconnected!! Do you recommend going to the Intel website
and loading a newer driver for the card?
Thanks
Jeff

--
Jeff

"Clark" wrote:

> Check and see if you have 802.1x enabled, and if so try turning it off. If
> you are using WAP you can't, of course.
>
> Do you have a separate profile setup for each connection?
>
> My driver for the 2200BG is 9.0.1.9--new card.
>
> Clark
>
> "Jeff" <brutus_999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have a similar connection problem--I get thrown off the TMobile network
> > (Starbucks) after between 10 and 30 minutes. This only started happening
> > about 2 weeks ago. Called TMobile, they were useless. Sony Vaio support
> > tries
> > to help but is not able to solve it. Can anybody advise? The weird thing
> > is
> > that my wireless connection works great on my home network; only problems
> > are
> > on networks that require a password via the browser. (My home network is
> > WEP
> > enabled)
> >
> > Answering Jerry's q's below: My vaio is running Windows XP Home with SP2.
> > The wireless is Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG. The driver is by Intel,
> > 8/7/2004,
> > version 9.0.0.60. I can't tell you anything about the access points they
> > use
> > at TMobile--but the problem happened at another hotspot (Boundless WiFi)
> > that
> > also requires username and password. And it has happened at about 6
> > different
> > starbucks in the last two weeks. I am also running Norton Internet
> > Security
> > 2005 and I have tried disabling that and disabling the WIndows Firewall
> > too.
> > I thought it might be a Norton issue because a few weeks ago my
> > subscription
> > to Norton service ran out; that's why I disabled it. But nothing has fixed
> > the problem yet. Any assistance would be gratefully received. Thanks in
> > Advance.
> > --
> > Jeff

> >> rights.
> >> "Dan" <dsmacwal@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Which configuration utility are you using for the Card, the Intel ProSet or
the Windows WZC? Only one can control the card at one time and unless you
have done something to disable the WZC, it is probably in control. If you
have a wireless tab on your connection in My Network Places-Properties, the
WZC is in control and that is where you would add the profile.

"How do you turn off 802.1x"

On the Intel controller the 802.1x is on each Profile's-properties-security
page. The same place you set up the SSID and WEP or whatever the connection
needs. It can only be turned off if you are not using WAP.

"Where do I go to set up different profiles for each connection?"

When you first see a network and choose to sign on, you should be asked if
you want to make a profile for the network (may vary by utility or
settings). By making one, you don't have to change settings for each
network you join, but just pick the correct profile. If you are not
prompted, just add one. I do not use public services, so there may be a
sign on situation I do not understand. But in my case, I have a profile for
my network using WEP and a profile using WAP, depending what happens to be
going on at the time.

Clark

cessna823

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Very Simple,
1. open device manager, then open network connections
2. right click on you wireless driver, goto properties and left click
3. goto Power Management left click and open
4. un check the box that says allow computer to turn this device off
have fun keep smiling you have to love computers"