CANNOT LOAD HIVE FILE ERROR MESSAGE

Hi,
I have received the message that the registry hive file cannot be loaded as
it is missing or corrupt or not writable.
MS website has a procedure that looks like it may work but wondered if
anyone else has experienced this and can offer advice.
I took hard drive into work and IT bod said it is knackered but this
coincided with the installation of Half-Life 2, although it did work a
couple of times before going. IT bod tried to get files of hard drive but
couldn't get mine off which is why I think this may be a software issue
rather than mechanical.
What do you lads reckon?

jad

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm

"retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have received the message that the registry hive file cannot be
loaded as
> it is missing or corrupt or not writable.
> MS website has a procedure that looks like it may work but wondered
if
> anyone else has experienced this and can offer advice.
> I took hard drive into work and IT bod said it is knackered but this
> coincided with the installation of Half-Life 2, although it did work
> couple of times before going. IT bod tried to get files of hard
drive but
> couldn't get mine off which is why I think this may be a software
issue
> rather than mechanical.
> What do you lads reckon?

Yeah, MS has a similar solution but wanted to know if anyone else has
experienced this before and would like to know how effective the solution
is.

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm
>

> "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I have received the message that the registry hive file cannot be
> loaded as
>> it is missing or corrupt or not writable.
>> MS website has a procedure that looks like it may work but wondered
> if
>> anyone else has experienced this and can offer advice.
>> I took hard drive into work and IT bod said it is knackered but this
>> coincided with the installation of Half-Life 2, although it did work
>> couple of times before going. IT bod tried to get files of hard
> drive but
>> couldn't get mine off which is why I think this may be a software
> issue
>> rather than mechanical.
>> What do you lads reckon?

jad

I have seen this when someone installs software with a anti virus enabled.
along with fw's and popup stoppers. or if the user has a habit of deleting
the x:/windows/temp folder.