repair winME

hello,
is it possible to do a repair of windows ME, just by re-installing ME over
the existing setup ?
thnks
Fred
3 answers Last reply
More about repair winme

    Fred,

    Yes, you can carry out a repair install of Win Me subject to a few caveats
    such as not using a recovery CD that as its first action wipes the hard
    disk and it is ESSENTIAL that you first
    uninstall Internet Explorer 6, if installed, and rename the file
    wmploc.dll to wmploc.old if you have Windows Media Player 9 installed. The
    reason being that if WMP9's version of wmploc.dll is present during the
    reinstall setup will throw up an error mentioning verx and if IE6 is
    present Internet Explorer will become a total mess due to the reinstall
    attempting to install IE5.5.

    You may also want to have a look at Rob McGregor's notes on reinstalling
    Win Me which can be found on Noel Paton's site at
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Fred Flintstone <fred.flintstone@flintstone.dot.net> wrote:

    > hello,
    > is it possible to do a repair of windows ME, just by re-installing ME
    > over the existing setup ?
    > thnks
    > Fred

    ok, thnks
    does this means that all the other software will remain in place, without
    the need to re-install everything ?
    Fred

    "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> schreef in bericht
    > Fred,
    >
    > Yes, you can carry out a repair install of Win Me subject to a few caveats
    > such as not using a recovery CD that as its first action wipes the hard
    > disk and it is ESSENTIAL that you first
    > uninstall Internet Explorer 6, if installed, and rename the file
    > wmploc.dll to wmploc.old if you have Windows Media Player 9 installed. The
    > reason being that if WMP9's version of wmploc.dll is present during the
    > reinstall setup will throw up an error mentioning verx and if IE6 is
    > present Internet Explorer will become a total mess due to the reinstall
    > attempting to install IE5.5.
    >
    > You may also want to have a look at Rob McGregor's notes on reinstalling
    > Win Me which can be found on Noel Paton's site at
    > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Fred Flintstone <fred.flintstone@flintstone.dot.net> wrote:
    >
    >> hello,
    >> is it possible to do a repair of windows ME, just by re-installing ME
    >> over the existing setup ?
    >> thnks
    >> Fred

    Fred Flintstone <fred.flintstone@flintstone.dot.net> wrote:

    > ok, thnks
    > does this means that all the other software will remain in place,
    > without the need to re-install everything ?

    Yes, that is the purpose of an in-place reinstall. Subject of course to
    the caveats I mentioned regarding IE6 and WMP9. Note though that
    virtually all if not all system hotfixes will need to be reinstalled
    although you won't necessarily be told this when visiting the Windows
    Update site due to the system registry not being reset during the
    reinstall and thus the entries indicating which patches have been
    installed will remain although the files will have reverted to their
    earlier versions.

    The way to deal with the patch problem is after you have reinstalled Win
    Me to use the Belarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html)
    which will help you to identify which patches also need to be reinstalled.
    Once you have identified which patches need to be reinstalled you can
    download them from the Windows Update Catalogue.
    (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp). I would
    strongly urge you to install the 290700 hotfix for system restore as a
    first priority.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com