Enable write behind caching?

Should the "Enable write behind caching on all removable drives" be checked?
In my case it isn't and seemingly doesn't present any problems.
Is it advantageous to have it enabled?

Harry.

Harry, extracted from Win98 Resource Kit - hope it helps.

"Disable write-behind caching for all drives.

This option ensures that all data is flushed continually to the hard disk,
removing any performance benefits gained from disk caching. This option
should be checked only in the rare case that you are performing risky
operations and must ensure prevention of data loss. For example, a software
developer who is debugging data at Ring 0 while creating a VxD would check
this option. This sets DriveWriteBehind=0 in the registry."

Removable disk - Risky operation?? Your call.

Mart

"webster72n" hbethke@copper.net wrote in message
> Should the "Enable write behind caching on all removable drives" be
> checked?
> In my case it isn't and seemingly doesn't present any problems.
> Is it advantageous to have it enabled?
>
> Harry.

Mart:

I'm sure glad to have asked..
If it's risky on the hard drive, it should also be on the removable,
shouldn't it?
Being almost rady to enable it, I now know better, including 'when to'.
If I'm not mistaken, my hard drive may be enabled and needs to be disabled.
Thank you for this valuable piece of information.

Harry.

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Harry, extracted from Win98 Resource Kit - hope it helps.
>
> "Disable write-behind caching for all drives.
>
> This option ensures that all data is flushed continually to the hard disk,
> removing any performance benefits gained from disk caching. This option
> should be checked only in the rare case that you are performing risky
> operations and must ensure prevention of data loss. For example, a
software
> developer who is debugging data at Ring 0 while creating a VxD would check
> this option. This sets DriveWriteBehind=0 in the registry."
>
> Removable disk - Risky operation?? Your call.
>
> Mart
>

> "webster72n" hbethke@copper.net wrote in message
> > Should the "Enable write behind caching on all removable drives" be
> > checked?
> > In my case it isn't and seemingly doesn't present any problems.
> > Is it advantageous to have it enabled?
> >
> > Harry.

Mmm... well, my own take on the article is that so long as you don't try
to remove the disk whilst its writing or (e.g. an external USB drive) until
you've enabled the 'Safely Remove Hardware' option (system tray) then there
shouldn't be a problem.

In the case of a Zip drive, the disk won't eject until it's finished writing
anyway. Again, with a memory stick etc., if USB, then just use the 'S R H'
option above.

I've just checked on my XP box, which gives further guidance :-

All fixed HDD's are set by default to Enable write caching on the disk - to
Optimise for performance - This setting enables write caching in Windows to
improve disk performance. To disconnect this device from the computer, click
the 'S R H' icon in the taskbar notification area.

All USB, Zip and 'removable' devices are set by default to Optimise for
quick removal - This setting disables write caching on the disk and in
Windows, so you can safely disconnect this device without using the Safe
Removal icon.

Like I said before, its your call <g> The worst case is to lose data, I
guess.

Mart

> Mart:
>
> I'm sure glad to have asked..
> If it's risky on the hard drive, it should also be on the removable,
> shouldn't it?
> Being almost rady to enable it, I now know better, including 'when to'.
> If I'm not mistaken, my hard drive may be enabled and needs to be
> disabled.
> Thank you for this valuable piece of information.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> Harry, extracted from Win98 Resource Kit - hope it helps.
>>
>> "Disable write-behind caching for all drives.
>>
>> This option ensures that all data is flushed continually to the hard
>> disk,
>> removing any performance benefits gained from disk caching. This option
>> should be checked only in the rare case that you are performing risky
>> operations and must ensure prevention of data loss. For example, a
> software
>> developer who is debugging data at Ring 0 while creating a VxD would
>> check
>> this option. This sets DriveWriteBehind=0 in the registry."
>>
>> Removable disk - Risky operation?? Your call.
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "webster72n" hbethke@copper.net wrote in message
>> > Should the "Enable write behind caching on all removable drives" be
>> > checked?
>> > In my case it isn't and seemingly doesn't present any problems.
>> > Is it advantageous to have it enabled?
>> >
>> > Harry.

Mart:

I didn't get a chance to delve into the contents of the kit yet.
For the time being things will have to stay the way they are.
It never hurts to check on them to make sure they're allright.
Thanks.