Security Settings - Active X Problems

I have an older computer that I need to use. However, when it boots up, only
several desktop icons are displayed. When I click on "Start" to launch
programs, nothing happens. When I try to open anything, I get the following
message: "Your current security settings prohibit running active x controls
on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly."

I believe that the last thing I did on this older system was run AdAware.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Thanks.

BDS
9 answers Last reply
More about security settings active problems

    Try running System Restore (in Safe Mode, if necessary) and roll-back to the
    last time/date when things were running OK.

    Mart

    "BDS" <BDS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have an older computer that I need to use. However, when it boots up,
    >only
    > several desktop icons are displayed. When I click on "Start" to launch
    > programs, nothing happens. When I try to open anything, I get the
    > following
    > message: "Your current security settings prohibit running active x
    > controls
    > on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly."
    >
    > I believe that the last thing I did on this older system was run AdAware.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > BDS

    The only way I can do anything on the computer is in Safe Mode. How do I run
    system restore, and will it delete any existing programs? I need to run an
    old accounting program that only works with ME.

    Thanks.

    BDS

    "Mart" wrote:

    > Try running System Restore (in Safe Mode, if necessary) and roll-back to the
    > last time/date when things were running OK.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "BDS" <BDS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have an older computer that I need to use. However, when it boots up,
    > >only
    > > several desktop icons are displayed. When I click on "Start" to launch
    > > programs, nothing happens. When I try to open anything, I get the
    > > following
    > > message: "Your current security settings prohibit running active x
    > > controls
    > > on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly."
    > >
    > > I believe that the last thing I did on this older system was run AdAware.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > BDS

    Boot up in Safe Mode and when the 'Help Console' (eventually) appears, you
    will see SR halfway down the page.

    (To boot into Safe Mode, press and hold the Shift key immediately on
    powering-up your computer, or use the Ctrl or F8 keys and select Safe Mode
    from the menu)

    > ... will it delete any existing programs?

    Only those you have installed *since* the restore point - which, according
    to your report, was only to *run* AdAware - so it shouldn't delete any
    programs.

    > I need to run an
    > old accounting program that only works with ME.

    Again, if it was installed and working OK *before* the restore point - it
    will not be affected.

    Remember, I did say "roll-back to the last time/date when things were
    running OK." Just be sure it was immediately before running AdAware.

    However, you will of course have the 'fail-safe' option to 'Undo' the System
    Restore operation.

    > The only way I can do anything on the computer is in Safe Mode. How do I
    > run
    > system restore, and will it delete any existing programs? I need to run an
    > old accounting program that only works with ME.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > BDS
    >
    > "Mart" wrote:
    >
    >> Try running System Restore (in Safe Mode, if necessary) and roll-back to
    >> the
    >> last time/date when things were running OK.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "BDS" <BDS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have an older computer that I need to use. However, when it boots up,
    >> >only
    >> > several desktop icons are displayed. When I click on "Start" to launch
    >> > programs, nothing happens. When I try to open anything, I get the
    >> > following
    >> > message: "Your current security settings prohibit running active x
    >> > controls
    >> > on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly."
    >> >
    >> > I believe that the last thing I did on this older system was run
    >> > AdAware.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >> >
    >> > BDS

    When I click on System Restore, the box pops up, but there is nothing in the
    box - It's blank.

    I took everything out of quarentine in AdAware, but still nothing.

    Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

    BDS

    Try this

    In Safe Mode -
    Start|Run
    type
    SCANREG /FIX
    click OK (or hit Enter)
    Windows will reboot

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > When I click on System Restore, the box pops up, but there is nothing in
    > the
    > box - It's blank.
    >
    > I took everything out of quarentine in AdAware, but still nothing.
    >
    > Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > BDS
    >
    > "Mart" wrote:
    >
    >> Boot up in Safe Mode and when the 'Help Console' (eventually) appears,
    >> you
    >> will see SR halfway down the page.
    >>
    >> (To boot into Safe Mode, press and hold the Shift key immediately on
    >> powering-up your computer, or use the Ctrl or F8 keys and select Safe
    >> Mode
    >> from the menu)
    >>
    >> > ... will it delete any existing programs?
    >>
    >> Only those you have installed *since* the restore point - which,
    >> according
    >> to your report, was only to *run* AdAware - so it shouldn't delete any
    >> programs.
    >>
    >> > I need to run an
    >> > old accounting program that only works with ME.
    >>
    >> Again, if it was installed and working OK *before* the restore point - it
    >> will not be affected.
    >>
    >> Remember, I did say "roll-back to the last time/date when things were
    >> running OK." Just be sure it was immediately before running AdAware.
    >>
    >> However, you will of course have the 'fail-safe' option to 'Undo' the
    >> System
    >> Restore operation.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "BDS" <BDS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > The only way I can do anything on the computer is in Safe Mode. How do
    >> > run
    >> > system restore, and will it delete any existing programs? I need to run
    >> > an
    >> > old accounting program that only works with ME.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >> >
    >> > BDS

    Sorry, when I click on Start, nothing happens. It's dead too.

    Thanks.

    BDS

    in **SAFE MODE**????

    --

    > Sorry, when I click on Start, nothing happens. It's dead too.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > BDS
    >
    > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    >
    >> Try this
    >>
    >> In Safe Mode -
    >> Start|Run
    >> type
    >> SCANREG /FIX
    >> click OK (or hit Enter)
    >> Windows will reboot
    >>

    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "BDS" <BDS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > When I click on System Restore, the box pops up, but there is nothing
    >> > in
    >> > the
    >> > box - It's blank.
    >> >
    >> > I took everything out of quarentine in AdAware, but still nothing.
    >> >
    >> > Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >> >
    >> > BDS

    Yes, in safe mode...

    Thanks.

    BDS

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

    > in **SAFE MODE**????
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "BDS" <BDS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry, when I click on Start, nothing happens. It's dead too.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > BDS
    > >
    > > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Try this
    > >>
    > >> In Safe Mode -
    > >> Start|Run
    > >> type
    > >> SCANREG /FIX
    > >> click OK (or hit Enter)
    > >> Windows will reboot
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >>
    > >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >>
    > >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    > >>
    > >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    > >>
    > >> "BDS" <BDS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    hmmm - try running System Restore this way
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?scid=279736

    --

    > Yes, in safe mode...
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > BDS
    >
    > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    >
    >> in **SAFE MODE**????
    >>

    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "BDS" <BDS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Sorry, when I click on Start, nothing happens. It's dead too.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >> >
    >> > BDS

Security Activex Windows