My .avi file has lost !

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Hi,

Yesterday night, I tried to compress some big .avi files to windows
compressed folder so that its size could fit in 730MB CD size. Because
the files were so big (600-800MB in size), the compression takes some
time but finally "completed". After that I went to sleep. As I woke up
this morning, I checked the content of the files. What surprised me was
I found no file listed inside as I double click on the compressed
folders to review its content. The compressed folder are hundred
megabytes in size i.e. they seem non empty.

I tried compress some smaller .avi files (from 22MB to 120MB) with the
the same method. I found them inside the compressed folders and could
play them by double clicking them from the compressed folder file list.

What's worst, I found most compressed folders I made previously with
the same method (not made yesterday night) were all empty although I'd
verified previously that the .avi files compressed inside could be
played.

I would like to know how could I fix the problem and get back those
..avi files I sent to those compressed folders ?

"~"
56 answers Last reply
More about file lost
  1. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    emil_lam wrote:

    > I would like to know how could I fix the problem and get back those
    > .avi files I sent to those compressed folders ?

    Try using another compressing programme like Winzip to open them, that
    might help.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    do a file search for all AVI files...you may have changed the destination
    without realizing it.

    I double click on the compressed
    > folders to review its content.

    compressed folders?

    are you just referring to 'compressed' because its the destination for your
    re-encoded/compressed video files.?

    "emil_lam" <Emil_Lam@mailcity.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Yesterday night, I tried to compress some big .avi files to windows
    > compressed folder so that its size could fit in 730MB CD size. Because
    > the files were so big (600-800MB in size), the compression takes some
    > time but finally "completed". After that I went to sleep. As I woke up
    > this morning, I checked the content of the files. What surprised me was
    > I found no file listed inside as I double click on the compressed
    > folders to review its content. The compressed folder are hundred
    > megabytes in size i.e. they seem non empty.
    >
    > I tried compress some smaller .avi files (from 22MB to 120MB) with the
    > the same method. I found them inside the compressed folders and could
    > play them by double clicking them from the compressed folder file list.
    >
    > What's worst, I found most compressed folders I made previously with
    > the same method (not made yesterday night) were all empty although I'd
    > verified previously that the .avi files compressed inside could be
    > played.
    >
    > I would like to know how could I fix the problem and get back those
    > .avi files I sent to those compressed folders ?
    >
    > "~"

  3. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 10:44:28 +0200, "John of Aix"
    <j.murphy@libertysurf.fr> wrote:

    >emil_lam wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to know how could I fix the problem and get back those
    >> .avi files I sent to those compressed folders ?
    >
    >Try using another compressing programme like Winzip to open them, that
    >might help.

    Which won't work if they were compressed with something Winzip doesn't
    support. It sounded like the OP was using the compression built into
    w2k.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
    have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
  4. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On 21 May 2005 22:22:05 -0700, "emil_lam" <Emil_Lam@mailcity.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Yesterday night, I tried to compress some big .avi files to windows
    >compressed folder so that its size could fit in 730MB CD size. Because
    >the files were so big (600-800MB in size), the compression takes some
    >time but finally "completed". After that I went to sleep. As I woke up
    >this morning, I checked the content of the files. What surprised me was
    >I found no file listed inside as I double click on the compressed
    >folders to review its content. The compressed folder are hundred
    >megabytes in size i.e. they seem non empty.

    You could check the recycle bin. They may have been untentionally
    "deleted".

    >I tried compress some smaller .avi files (from 22MB to 120MB) with the
    >the same method. I found them inside the compressed folders and could
    >play them by double clicking them from the compressed folder file list.
    >
    >What's worst, I found most compressed folders I made previously with
    >the same method (not made yesterday night) were all empty although I'd
    >verified previously that the .avi files compressed inside could be
    >played.

    But the files disappeared somehow? Will a search of all your disks for
    "*.AVI" find them?

    >I would like to know how could I fix the problem and get back those
    >.avi files I sent to those compressed folders ?

    Compression can be unreliable. Perhaps you could get a larger HD?

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
    have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
  5. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    John of Aix 寫道:

    > Try using another compressing programme like Winzip to open them,
    that
    > might help.

    I installed WinZip 6.3 beta this morning. WinZip complained it couldn't
    open the compressed folder. I suspect its my WinME compression
    program's problem. Could I reinstall it from WinME CD ? What file to
    look for ?
  6. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    John of Aix 寫道:

    > Try using another compressing programme like Winzip to open them,
    that
    > might help.

    I installed WinZip 6.3 beta this morning. WinZip complained it couldn't
    open the compressed folder. I suspect its my WinME compression
    program's problem. Could I reinstall it from WinME CD ? What file to
    look for ?
  7. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    No, I haven't changed the destination cos by default the compressed
    folder will be created in the same directory as the originally .avi
    file.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    No, they wouldn't be found in recycle bin cos in my trial test, I
    didn't delete the original .avi file.

    What I meant was WinME compression seemed completed without error, a
    non-empty .zip folder was created. But when I double clicked on that
    folder to view its content, I found no file listed inside the .zip
    folder.

    My HD free space is 12.5GB now. I don't think HD free space is a
    problem.

    I agree that compression may be unreliable sometimes but the symptom
    seems consistent now. Do you hear of any known bug with Windows ME
    compression process ?
  9. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I would like to ask all of you that will this be a known bug of Windows
    ME compression program ? Could I re-install the compression program
    from Windows ME ? If so, which files to look for ?

    Although I could use WinZip to compress single file, I would still like
    to use windows compression program to compress subdirectory trees
    (directory with multiple subdirectories and files underneath) because
    program comes with windows is better in compressing / de-compressing
    directory trees.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:

    > It sounded like the OP was using the compression built into
    > w2k.

    ain't any, least not that I've noticed.

    Rick
  11. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    John of Aix 寫道:

    > Try using another compressing programme like Winzip to open them,
    that
    > might help.

    I've tried using WinZip 6.3 beta to compress 2 sample .avi files.
    Compression succeeded for one 704MB file but failed for another 1.12GB
    file [Error: Internal logic error (incorrect compressed size)]. Both
    files had fault symptom described above when WinME compression being
    used.

    Will there be upper size limit with source file for WinZip or Windows
    compression program ?
  12. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I tried compressed some big .avi files using my WinZip. Compression
    succeeded with one .avi file with file size 704MB. I could view the
    ..avi file from inside the .zip and play it on media player.

    But for all other .avi files bigger than 1GB, WinZip couldn't compress
    any of them alone.

    Is there size limit on uncompressed file for WinZip ?
  13. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Hi emil_lam,

    there's an older repair-tool for broken zip-files,
    called PKZIPFIX.EXE, perhaps it succeeds on your
    broken files.

    It is strange you had problems at 1GB, the size-limit
    for oldstyle zip-files or zipped items should be around 4 GB.
    Are you sure, your file-system is healthy?

    And please use a recent WinZip for testing,
    rather than an outdated beta-version!

    If it helps to find out what has gone wrong at file-level,
    you may post a hexdump of a broken file here.
    Well, not the entire file, only the first
    and the last 256 bytes will be enough, since
    there should be all the internal headers.

    Hope it helps,

    Carsten Neubauer
    http://www.c14sw.de
  14. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Where on earth did you get hold of that??
    WinZip is up to version 9 now!!!
    www.winzip.com

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "emil_lam" <Emil_Lam@mailcity.com> wrote in message

    John of Aix ??:

    > Try using another compressing programme like Winzip to open them,
    that
    > might help.

    I installed WinZip 6.3 beta this morning. WinZip complained it couldn't
    open the compressed folder. I suspect its my WinME compression
    program's problem. Could I reinstall it from WinME CD ? What file to
    look for ?
  15. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 22:04:02 -0400, Rick T
    <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >

    >> It sounded like the OP was using the compression built into
    >> w2k.
    >
    >ain't any, least not that I've noticed.
    >

    >Rick

    Sorry about mixing up Windows versions. ME's compression is compatible
    with Winzip.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
    have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
  16. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On 22 May 2005 21:24:17 -0700, "emil_lam" <Emil_Lam@mailcity.com>
    wrote:

    >No, they wouldn't be found in recycle bin cos in my trial test, I
    >didn't delete the original .avi file.
    >
    >What I meant was WinME compression seemed completed without error, a
    >non-empty .zip folder was created. But when I double clicked on that
    >folder to view its content, I found no file listed inside the .zip
    >folder.
    >
    >My HD free space is 12.5GB now. I don't think HD free space is a
    >problem.
    >
    >I agree that compression may be unreliable sometimes but the symptom
    >seems consistent now. Do you hear of any known bug with Windows ME
    >compression process ?

    No. I've used it few times, although I went to Winzip (and later
    Winrar) because it's more versatile.

    ZIP compression seems reliable enough (I was talking abour compressed
    folders earlier, that's something different from a signle archive
    file). I was suggesting that is you were using compression to save
    spce on your disk, a larger HD may be preferable.

    File compression is still used to save uploading time (although most
    of the larger files on the net use RAR instead of ZIP).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
    have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
  17. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On 23 May 2005 03:54:29 -0700, "Carsten Neubauer" <cn@c14sw.de> wrote:

    >Hi emil_lam,
    >

    >there's an older repair-tool for broken zip-files,
    >called PKZIPFIX.EXE, perhaps it succeeds on your
    >broken files.
    >

    >It is strange you had problems at 1GB, the size-limit
    >for oldstyle zip-files or zipped items should be around 4 GB.
    >Are you sure, your file-system is healthy?

    4GB is the file-size limit for FAT32 drives, although older programs
    may not work with more than 2GB. This is because of the use of 32-bit
    file pointers (both in the computer and on disk). The 2GB limit is
    because of signed arithmetic, allowing use on only 31 bits.

    Note that this limit is NOT related to cluster size (as the disk size
    limit is).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
    have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
  18. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I'm unaware that .zip compression is unreliable in any way. I've also
    had no problems with WinME native .zipping but I've never tried it on
    anything more than 100ish MB.

    You may want to give it a shot with DOS mode PKZip; ver 2.04g is the
    latest, I believe and is still available as free/shareware in numerous
    places on the net.

    I'm curious as to how much compression you can get on an .avi file.

    Rick

    emil_lam wrote:
    > No, they wouldn't be found in recycle bin cos in my trial test, I
    > didn't delete the original .avi file.
    >
    > What I meant was WinME compression seemed completed without error, a
    > non-empty .zip folder was created. But when I double clicked on that
    > folder to view its content, I found no file listed inside the .zip
    > folder.
    >
    > My HD free space is 12.5GB now. I don't think HD free space is a
    > problem.
    >
    > I agree that compression may be unreliable sometimes but the symptom
    > seems consistent now. Do you hear of any known bug with Windows ME
    > compression process ?

  19. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 09:52:01 -0400, Rick T
    <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    >I'm unaware that .zip compression is unreliable in any way. I've also
    >had no problems with WinME native .zipping but I've never tried it on
    >anything more than 100ish MB.

    There will always be reduced reliability becaused of the increaded
    complexity involved, but mainly I got confused because the OP referred
    to a compressed FOLDER, rather than just a file (as a ZIP file is).

    Note that RAR seems to be preferred over ZIP for very large files.

    >You may want to give it a shot with DOS mode PKZip; ver 2.04g is the
    >latest, I believe and is still available as free/shareware in numerous
    >places on the net.
    >
    >I'm curious as to how much compression you can get on an .avi file.

    Very little, considering that the file is already compressed. They
    sometimes claim 2x or more (where 1x would be original size). You may
    get 1.001x.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
    have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
  20. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Something's niggling my brain (well moreso than usual); some .avi files
    have a problem at 1 Gig, but darned if I can remember which ones and why.

    Rick

    Carsten Neubauer wrote:
    > Hi emil_lam,
    >

    > there's an older repair-tool for broken zip-files,
    > called PKZIPFIX.EXE, perhaps it succeeds on your
    > broken files.
    >

    > It is strange you had problems at 1GB, the size-limit
    > for oldstyle zip-files or zipped items should be around 4 GB.
    > Are you sure, your file-system is healthy?
    >
    > And please use a recent WinZip for testing,
    > rather than an outdated beta-version!
    >

    > If it helps to find out what has gone wrong at file-level,
    > you may post a hexdump of a broken file here.
    > Well, not the entire file, only the first
    > and the last 256 bytes will be enough, since
    > there should be all the internal headers.
    >

    > Hope it helps,
    >

    > Carsten Neubauer
    > http://www.c14sw.de

  21. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 May 2005 22:04:02 -0400, Rick T
    > <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >>

    >>>It sounded like the OP was using the compression built into
    >>>w2k.
    >>
    >>ain't any, least not that I've noticed.
    >>

    >>Rick
    >

    > Sorry about mixing up Windows versions. ME's compression is compatible
    > with Winzip.

    just me gettin' too lazy to reread the original post is all.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    AVI files are normally already compressed and there is little benefit to
    be gained by attempting to further compress them. Similarly for jpg and
    mp3 and other compressed file formats.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    emil_lam <Emil_Lam@mailcity.com> wrote:

    > I tried compressed some big .avi files using my WinZip. Compression
    > succeeded with one .avi file with file size 704MB. I could view the
    > .avi file from inside the .zip and play it on media player.
    >
    > But for all other .avi files bigger than 1GB, WinZip couldn't compress
    > any of them alone.
    >
    > Is there size limit on uncompressed file for WinZip ?
  23. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:
    > ZIP compression seems reliable enough (I was talking abour compressed
    > folders earlier, that's something different from a signle archive
    > file). I was suggesting that is you were using compression to save
    > spce on your disk, a larger HD may be preferable.

    A decent-size hard drive costs $50-100.
    Zipping a file costs, well, zip.

    You do the math.

  24. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 16:07:28 -0400, Twisted One
    <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >> ZIP compression seems reliable enough (I was talking abour compressed
    >> folders earlier, that's something different from a signle archive
    >> file). I was suggesting that is you were using compression to save
    >> spce on your disk, a larger HD may be preferable.
    >
    >A decent-size hard drive costs $50-100.
    >Zipping a file costs, well, zip.
    >
    >You do the math.

    I'd rather not limit mysyel that way, by forgretting that money isn't
    everything.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Sam wrote:
    >>A decent-size hard drive costs $50-100.
    >>Zipping a file costs, well, zip.
    >>
    >>You do the math.
    >
    > I'd rather not limit mysyel that way, by forgretting that money isn't
    > everything.

    Well, congratulations on your wealth. Just keep in mind that not
    everyone has the sort of disposable income you do, and can blow a
    hundred bucks here, two hundred there on a whim...

  26. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:10:23 -0400, Twisted One
    <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote:

    >Sam wrote:
    >>>A decent-size hard drive costs $50-100.
    >>>Zipping a file costs, well, zip.
    >>>
    >>>You do the math.
    >>
    >> I'd rather not limit mysyel that way, by forgretting that money isn't
    >> everything.
    >
    >Well, congratulations on your wealth. Just keep in mind that not
    >everyone has the sort of disposable income you do, and can blow a
    >hundred bucks here, two hundred there on a whim...

    That poster DIDN'T say anything about being wealthy, or about money
    not being important. What he did say is that money is far from the
    ONLY thing to consider when making a decision.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  27. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    'Whim' makes Hard drives now...?

    "Twisted One" <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote in message
    > Sam wrote:
    > >>A decent-size hard drive costs $50-100.
    > >>Zipping a file costs, well, zip.
    > >>
    > >>You do the math.
    > >
    > > I'd rather not limit mysyel that way, by forgretting that money isn't
    > > everything.
    >
    > Well, congratulations on your wealth. Just keep in mind that not
    > everyone has the sort of disposable income you do, and can blow a
    > hundred bucks here, two hundred there on a whim...
    >
    > --
    > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
    > Palladium? Trusted Computing? DRM? Microsoft? Sauron.
    > "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
    > One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."

  28. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:10:23 -0400, Twisted One
    > <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote:

    >>>I'd rather not limit mysyel that way, by forgretting that money isn't
    >>>everything.
    >>
    >>Well, congratulations on your wealth. Just keep in mind that not
    >>everyone has the sort of disposable income you do, and can blow a
    >>hundred bucks here, two hundred there on a whim...
    >

    > That poster DIDN'T say anything about being wealthy, or about money
    > not being important. What he did say is that money is far from the
    > ONLY thing to consider when making a decision.

    whatever... the best solution would be to re-encode the .avi using a
    more intensive video-compression alogorithm rather than a general file
    compressor (.zip); that way he'd get the optimal compression.

    Rick
  29. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:55:49 -0400, Rick T
    <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >> On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:10:23 -0400, Twisted One
    >> <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote:

    >>>Well, congratulations on your wealth. Just keep in mind that not
    >>>everyone has the sort of disposable income you do, and can blow a
    >>>hundred bucks here, two hundred there on a whim...
    >>

    >> That poster DIDN'T say anything about being wealthy, or about money
    >> not being important. What he did say is that money is far from the
    >> ONLY thing to consider when making a decision.
    >>

    >whatever... the best solution would be to re-encode the .avi using a
    >more intensive video-compression alogorithm rather than a general file
    >compressor (.zip); that way he'd get the optimal compression.
    >

    >Rick

    That would be a good idea. Note that MPEG encoding is very
    CPU-intensive, and computer speed has a big effect on how long it
    takes to compress.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  30. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Rick T 寫道:
    > I'm unaware that .zip compression is unreliable in any way. I've
    also
    > had no problems with WinME native .zipping but I've never tried it on

    > anything more than 100ish MB.
    >
    > You may want to give it a shot with DOS mode PKZip; ver 2.04g is the
    > latest, I believe and is still available as free/shareware in
    numerous
    > places on the net.
    >
    > I'm curious as to how much compression you can get on an .avi file.

    Example: If Windows Compression was successful, a 1.01 GB .avi file
    could be compressed to below 700MB, which fitted inside one CD.

    Actually, the HD I'm now working on is a temp one. It's networking
    function is not working i.e. I couldn't move out those big files to
    another computer. I need to copy as much data to CD as possible.

    > Rick

  31. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mark,

    I don't want those big .avi files to occupy my HD space. I want them to
    be kept in CD so that I can reuse the HD space for other purpose.
    That's why I'm trying to compress those .avi as far as possible. I know
    that some really big files couldn't fit in 730MB CD no matter which
    compression program I use. I will try to move them to other HD with
    space later .
  32. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Agree ! I had tried this long before but the coder used by that TV card
    (producer of those .avi files) was rathter proprietary that I couldn't
    find video coding software to convert it to more space saving format.

    I had raised the case to the card vendor already but couldn't figure
    out a solution.
  33. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Carsten,

    Here are the head & tail hexdump of one sample .zip file created by
    WinME compression

    First 256 bytes:

    50 4b 03 04 14 00 00 00 08 00 22 5a 8e 2c c1 7f
    f1 53 88 a7 9b 07 00 7e fd 3d 0e 00 00 00 30 34
    31 34 31 31 31 32 33 37 2e 41 56 49 ec dd 7f 34
    de 75 ff c0 f1 0f 93 64 32 33 93 24 c9 6c 33 49
    e6 96 c9 cc 4c 92 99 6c 99 c9 24 99 99 99 99 64
    26 ed 87 49 92 24 b3 4d 92 24 c9 cc 4c 92 24 5b
    66 92 24 99 4c b6 24 49 b2 65 32 b9 25 49 a6 7b
    f3 fc 76 ba ef be df 73 ee 3f bf e7 74 5e cf 73
    5d d7 e3 ba 3e d7 fb f3 fe 5c e7 5c d7 39 d7 9f
    2f ef d5 6e 6e 13 fb ae ac 58 e5 bb da c4 73 f5
    7a 1f c7 69 45 09 0b 89 8e d8 14 bb 2d cc 5e 51
    14 df 44 45 b9 50 bc 5c 51 54 15 45 47 43 51 6c
    6f 53 66 ba fa 52 d1 f0 56 55 82 54 14 c5 44 45
    f9 5f 5d db 2b 26 5e 51 76 c6 44 47 5c bd cf ec
    15 bb 2d 64 e7 46 df a5 36 ff be 6e 9b 81 ba 92
    90 95 ad a8 5d 7d 3e cb 90 3d ff da d5 f3 43 cd

    Last 260 bytes :

    d8 17 ea cd 3e a3 17 b9 0f 7b 89 ae 7d 99 36 f0
    a3 43 fc e9 ea 00 5a 6f 2b 1d b4 8d ae 7c 8d d6
    09 a5 03 c2 f8 fe f2 70 be 3f f0 2d ee 2b de a6
    67 b7 d3 fe d1 74 59 0c ad 8d a5 7d 77 d1 25 ef
    d1 53 ef d3 3e 32 ba 28 89 9e 48 a6 bd 76 d3 8a
    3d ec 1d db cb de c2 74 ee c7 33 68 cf fd 74 c1
    a7 f4 e8 67 b4 7b 0e 9d 97 4b 0f e7 d1 ae 87 e8
    9c c3 f4 e0 11 5a 5c c4 qe 79 31 7b 24 47 b9 cf
    fe 9a 1e 38 46 bb 94 d3 59 15 b4 a6 92 76 3e 45
    67 9c a6 7b bf a5 1d eb e8 b4 7a ba bb 81 b6 3f
    cb be 94 73 ec 73 58 e6 3e b5 85 ee 6a a5 ed 2e
    d1 c9 97 e9 8e 1f 69 1b 35 2d eb a0 55 9d b4 d5
    35 3a e1 3a dd 7e 83 3d c2 3e f6 28 fb b8 b7 fc
    95 8e ff 8d 6e fb 9d b6 18 a2 63 87 e9 96 11 da
    ec 0e 1d 7d 97 6e fa 8b 36 99 a4 23 a7 d8 d3 30
    cd 9e a8 fb ff f9 bf da 4b 26 d3 f9 9f ef ff ed
    ff 7e ff 06

    I wanted to use a more recent WinZip but unfortunately this HD was
    installed temporarily and no networking function available. The latest
    WinZip 9 suggested by Noel Paton has over 2MB size even after
    compression.
  34. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mark Lloyd wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:55:49 -0400, Rick T
    > <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    >>whatever... the best solution would be to re-encode the .avi using a
    >>more intensive video-compression alogorithm rather than a general file
    >>compressor (.zip); that way he'd get the optimal compression.
    >>

    >>Rick
    >

    > That would be a good idea. Note that MPEG encoding is very
    > CPU-intensive, and computer speed has a big effect on how long it
    > takes to compress.

    takes less CPU to decode, though. There's (probably) an .avi to .avi
    converter out there somewhere. I used to be up on these things; I think
    the target format should be in the same family as the original. The
    trick of course is to make sure you're not losing info.

    Rick
  35. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    emil_lam wrote:
    > Mark,
    >
    > I don't want those big .avi files to occupy my HD space. I want them to
    > be kept in CD so that I can reuse the HD space for other purpose.
    > That's why I'm trying to compress those .avi as far as possible. I know
    > that some really big files couldn't fit in 730MB CD no matter which
    > compression program I use. I will try to move them to other HD with
    > space later .

    ..zips have been able to span volumes for quite awhile.

    As a test why don't you throw something huge into a zipfile with no
    compression, then with low compression so you can actually watch it at work.

    Rick
  36. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    emil_lam schrieb:
    > Carsten,
    >
    > Here are the head & tail hexdump of one sample .zip file created by
    > WinME compression
    >
    > First 256 bytes:

    here's what i see in there:

    the start:
    ==========

    50 4b 03 04 : fileheader-ID
    14 00 : version 2.0
    00 00 : no flags
    08 00 : DeFlate-method
    22 5a 8e 2c : Date/Time
    c1 7f f1 53 : CRC32
    88 a7 9b 07 : compressed size : 127,641,480 bytes
    00 7e fd 3d : uncompressed size : 1,040,023,040 bytes
    0e 00 : filename length
    00 00 : exra length

    30 34 31 34 31 31 31 32 33 37 2e 41 56 49
    : 0414111237.AVI
    rest : compressed data

    looks correct, like a proper zip-header.
    both sizes do not seem to exceed any 2GB or 4GB border.

    > Last 260 bytes :
    >
    > d8 17 ea cd 3e a3 17 b9 0f 7b 89 ae 7d 99 36 f0
    > a3 43 fc e9 ea 00 5a 6f 2b 1d b4 8d ae 7c 8d d6
    > 09 a5 03 c2 f8 fe f2 70 be 3f f0 2d ee 2b de a6
    > 67 b7 d3 fe d1 74 59 0c ad 8d a5 7d 77 d1 25 ef
    > d1 53 ef d3 3e 32 ba 28 89 9e 48 a6 bd 76 d3 8a
    > 3d ec 1d db cb de c2 74 ee c7 33 68 cf fd 74 c1
    > a7 f4 e8 67 b4 7b 0e 9d 97 4b 0f e7 d1 ae 87 e8
    > 9c c3 f4 e0 11 5a 5c c4 qe 79 31 7b 24 47 b9 cf
    ^^
    ehm, are you serious about the letter 'q' in here?

    > fe 9a 1e 38 46 bb 94 d3 59 15 b4 a6 92 76 3e 45
    > 67 9c a6 7b bf a5 1d eb e8 b4 7a ba bb 81 b6 3f
    > cb be 94 73 ec 73 58 e6 3e b5 85 ee 6a a5 ed 2e
    > d1 c9 97 e9 8e 1f 69 1b 35 2d eb a0 55 9d b4 d5
    > 35 3a e1 3a dd 7e 83 3d c2 3e f6 28 fb b8 b7 fc
    > 95 8e ff 8d 6e fb 9d b6 18 a2 63 87 e9 96 11 da
    > ec 0e 1d 7d 97 6e fa 8b 36 99 a4 23 a7 d8 d3 30
    > cd 9e a8 fb ff f9 bf da 4b 26 d3 f9 9f ef ff ed
    > ff 7e ff 06

    this looks odd, i had expected to see the filename,
    both lengths and the CRC immediately, but this
    second part looks like compressed data, rather than
    the proper end of a zip-file to me.

    so your file looks corrupt to me, as if some important
    data is missing from the end of your file.
    as if something crashed and your file wasn't finished
    or truncated by accident?

    > I wanted to use a more recent WinZip but unfortunately this HD was
    > installed temporarily and no networking function available. The
    latest
    > WinZip 9 suggested by Noel Paton has over 2MB size even after
    > compression.

    Two floppys and your hex-editor, a CD or some USB-stick could fix that.

    You may better rule out all possible culprits.

    Hope it helps,

    Carsten Neubauer
    http://www.c14sw.de
    http://www.edcomponents.com
  37. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    hmmm end of file looks weird...like the HD had bad sectors where your files
    are residing. have you defragged that drive? reformat to map bad areas?

    > Carsten,
    >
    > Here are the head & tail hexdump of one sample .zip file created by
    > WinME compression
    >
    > First 256 bytes:
    >
    > 50 4b 03 04 14 00 00 00 08 00 22 5a 8e 2c c1 7f
    > f1 53 88 a7 9b 07 00 7e fd 3d 0e 00 00 00 30 34
    > 31 34 31 31 31 32 33 37 2e 41 56 49 ec dd 7f 34
    > de 75 ff c0 f1 0f 93 64 32 33 93 24 c9 6c 33 49
    > e6 96 c9 cc 4c 92 99 6c 99 c9 24 99 99 99 99 64
    > 26 ed 87 49 92 24 b3 4d 92 24 c9 cc 4c 92 24 5b
    > 66 92 24 99 4c b6 24 49 b2 65 32 b9 25 49 a6 7b
    > f3 fc 76 ba ef be df 73 ee 3f bf e7 74 5e cf 73
    > 5d d7 e3 ba 3e d7 fb f3 fe 5c e7 5c d7 39 d7 9f
    > 2f ef d5 6e 6e 13 fb ae ac 58 e5 bb da c4 73 f5
    > 7a 1f c7 69 45 09 0b 89 8e d8 14 bb 2d cc 5e 51
    > 14 df 44 45 b9 50 bc 5c 51 54 15 45 47 43 51 6c
    > 6f 53 66 ba fa 52 d1 f0 56 55 82 54 14 c5 44 45
    > f9 5f 5d db 2b 26 5e 51 76 c6 44 47 5c bd cf ec
    > 15 bb 2d 64 e7 46 df a5 36 ff be 6e 9b 81 ba 92
    > 90 95 ad a8 5d 7d 3e cb 90 3d ff da d5 f3 43 cd
    >
    > Last 260 bytes :
    >
    > d8 17 ea cd 3e a3 17 b9 0f 7b 89 ae 7d 99 36 f0
    > a3 43 fc e9 ea 00 5a 6f 2b 1d b4 8d ae 7c 8d d6
    > 09 a5 03 c2 f8 fe f2 70 be 3f f0 2d ee 2b de a6
    > 67 b7 d3 fe d1 74 59 0c ad 8d a5 7d 77 d1 25 ef
    > d1 53 ef d3 3e 32 ba 28 89 9e 48 a6 bd 76 d3 8a
    > 3d ec 1d db cb de c2 74 ee c7 33 68 cf fd 74 c1
    > a7 f4 e8 67 b4 7b 0e 9d 97 4b 0f e7 d1 ae 87 e8
    > 9c c3 f4 e0 11 5a 5c c4 qe 79 31 7b 24 47 b9 cf
    > fe 9a 1e 38 46 bb 94 d3 59 15 b4 a6 92 76 3e 45
    > 67 9c a6 7b bf a5 1d eb e8 b4 7a ba bb 81 b6 3f
    > cb be 94 73 ec 73 58 e6 3e b5 85 ee 6a a5 ed 2e
    > d1 c9 97 e9 8e 1f 69 1b 35 2d eb a0 55 9d b4 d5
    > 35 3a e1 3a dd 7e 83 3d c2 3e f6 28 fb b8 b7 fc
    > 95 8e ff 8d 6e fb 9d b6 18 a2 63 87 e9 96 11 da
    > ec 0e 1d 7d 97 6e fa 8b 36 99 a4 23 a7 d8 d3 30
    > cd 9e a8 fb ff f9 bf da 4b 26 d3 f9 9f ef ff ed
    > ff 7e ff 06
    >
    > I wanted to use a more recent WinZip but unfortunately this HD was
    > installed temporarily and no networking function available. The latest
    > WinZip 9 suggested by Noel Paton has over 2MB size even after
    > compression.

  38. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 23:47:45 -0400, Rick T
    <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    >Mark Lloyd wrote:
    >> On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:55:49 -0400, Rick T
    >> <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>>whatever... the best solution would be to re-encode the .avi using a
    >>>more intensive video-compression alogorithm rather than a general file
    >>>compressor (.zip); that way he'd get the optimal compression.
    >>>

    >>>Rick
    >>

    >> That would be a good idea. Note that MPEG encoding is very
    >> CPU-intensive, and computer speed has a big effect on how long it
    >> takes to compress.
    >>

    >takes less CPU to decode, though.

    It's designed that way. MPEG encoding is much more CPU-intensive than
    MPEG decoding (which would be done much more often, on less expensive
    hardware).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  39. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:54:03 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
    wrote:

    >'Whim' makes Hard drives now...?

    'Whim' is a brand name belonging to Western Digital, and is sold only
    in discount stores and on home shopping channels :-)

    >"Twisted One" <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote in message

    >> > I'd rather not limit mysyel that way, by forgretting that money isn't
    >> > everything.
    >>
    >> Well, congratulations on your wealth. Just keep in mind that not
    >> everyone has the sort of disposable income you do, and can blow a
    >> hundred bucks here, two hundred there on a whim...

  40. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On 23 May 2005 21:05:42 -0700, "emil_lam" <Emil_Lam@mailcity.com>
    wrote:

    >Mark,
    >
    >I don't want those big .avi files to occupy my HD space. I want them to
    >be kept in CD so that I can reuse the HD space for other purpose.
    >That's why I'm trying to compress those .avi as far as possible. I know
    >that some really big files couldn't fit in 730MB CD no matter which
    >compression program I use. I will try to move them to other HD with
    >space later .

    You might try:

    getting WinRAR (http://www.rarlab.com/)
    converting to MPEG
    using DVD recordable
    splitting files (see another post in this thread)

    or doing more than one of these.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  41. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 00:36:36 -0400, Rick T
    <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    >emil_lam wrote:
    >> Mark,
    >>
    >> I don't want those big .avi files to occupy my HD space. I want them to
    >> be kept in CD so that I can reuse the HD space for other purpose.
    >> That's why I'm trying to compress those .avi as far as possible. I know
    >> that some really big files couldn't fit in 730MB CD no matter which
    >> compression program I use. I will try to move them to other HD with
    >> space later .
    >>

    >.zips have been able to span volumes for quite awhile.

    Remember to split the file into appropriately-sized pieces before
    burning the CDs. This needs drives accessible to your OS, and CDs are
    not unless you use packet writing (another level of complexity, and so
    a point of failure).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

  42. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Carsten Neubauer 寫道:
    > emil_lam schrieb:
    >

    > > Last 260 bytes :
    > >
    > > d8 17 ea cd 3e a3 17 b9 0f 7b 89 ae 7d 99 36 f0
    > > a3 43 fc e9 ea 00 5a 6f 2b 1d b4 8d ae 7c 8d d6
    > > 09 a5 03 c2 f8 fe f2 70 be 3f f0 2d ee 2b de a6
    > > 67 b7 d3 fe d1 74 59 0c ad 8d a5 7d 77 d1 25 ef
    > > d1 53 ef d3 3e 32 ba 28 89 9e 48 a6 bd 76 d3 8a
    > > 3d ec 1d db cb de c2 74 ee c7 33 68 cf fd 74 c1
    > > a7 f4 e8 67 b4 7b 0e 9d 97 4b 0f e7 d1 ae 87 e8
    > > 9c c3 f4 e0 11 5a 5c c4 qe 79 31 7b 24 47 b9 cf
    > ^^
    > ehm, are you serious about the letter 'q' in here?

    Sorry, typing mistake, it should be 1e

    > > fe 9a 1e 38 46 bb 94 d3 59 15 b4 a6 92 76 3e 45
    > > 67 9c a6 7b bf a5 1d eb e8 b4 7a ba bb 81 b6 3f
    > > cb be 94 73 ec 73 58 e6 3e b5 85 ee 6a a5 ed 2e
    > > d1 c9 97 e9 8e 1f 69 1b 35 2d eb a0 55 9d b4 d5
    > > 35 3a e1 3a dd 7e 83 3d c2 3e f6 28 fb b8 b7 fc
    > > 95 8e ff 8d 6e fb 9d b6 18 a2 63 87 e9 96 11 da
    > > ec 0e 1d 7d 97 6e fa 8b 36 99 a4 23 a7 d8 d3 30
    > > cd 9e a8 fb ff f9 bf da 4b 26 d3 f9 9f ef ff ed
    > > ff 7e ff 06
    > >

    > this looks odd, i had expected to see the filename,
    > both lengths and the CRC immediately, but this
    > second part looks like compressed data, rather than
    > the proper end of a zip-file to me.
    >
    > so your file looks corrupt to me, as if some important
    > data is missing from the end of your file.
    > as if something crashed and your file wasn't finished
    > or truncated by accident?
    >

    > > I wanted to use a more recent WinZip but unfortunately this HD was
    > > installed temporarily and no networking function available. The
    > latest
    > > WinZip 9 suggested by Noel Paton has over 2MB size even after
    > > compression.
    >
    > Two floppys and your hex-editor, a CD or some USB-stick could fix that.

    You mean using 2 floppies to hold the 2MB WinZip ? The CD drive of
    current notebook I used for internet browsing had died already :(.
    Couldn't understand why you mention USB-stick.

    > You may better rule out all possible culprits.
    >

    > Hope it helps,
    >

    > Carsten Neubauer
    > http://www.c14sw.de
    > http://www.edcomponents.com
  43. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    No defragmentation done yet. Reformat ? All data will be lost !

    How about scandisk & surface scan ? Could this help to identify bad
    sectors ?
  44. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    well what I meant when was it formatted fresh(how old is the drive and when
    was the last time it was surface scanned?) Also, I find it suspect that you
    were able to compress that AVI that much. I tried a test of that with
    WINRAR. 1 gig AVI file was only compressed 2%. (about 20megs). This was a
    windows AVI.

    > No defragmentation done yet. Reformat ? All data will be lost !
    >
    > How about scandisk & surface scan ? Could this help to identify bad
    > sectors ?

  45. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    JAD wrote:
    > well what I meant when was it formatted fresh(how old is the drive and when
    > was the last time it was surface scanned?) Also, I find it suspect that you
    > were able to compress that AVI that much. I tried a test of that with
    > WINRAR. 1 gig AVI file was only compressed 2%. (about 20megs). This was a
    > windows AVI.

    No doubt a linux AVI would have compressed better. ;)

  46. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Twisted One wrote:
    > JAD wrote:
    >
    >> well what I meant when was it formatted fresh(how old is the drive and
    >> when
    >> was the last time it was surface scanned?) Also, I find it suspect
    >> that you
    >> were able to compress that AVI that much. I tried a test of that with
    >> WINRAR. 1 gig AVI file was only compressed 2%. (about 20megs). This was a
    >> windows AVI.
    >

    > No doubt a linux AVI would have compressed better. ;)

    an .avi's an .avi... there's many different kinds, but they're platform
    independent.

    Rick
  47. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "emil_lam" <Emil_Lam@mailcity.com> wrote in message
    > No defragmentation done yet. Reformat ? All data will be lost !
    >
    > How about scandisk & surface scan ? Could this help to identify bad
    > sectors ?

    Go here http://cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_utils_6.shtml and try this
    program. AVI2VCD I use it to convert AVI video to mpeg. In the process it
    reduces the size of the file by quite a bit, about half. Then you will have
    a much smaller file to deal with plus give you more room on you cd.
    AVI2VCD is an MPEG encoder with only one purpose: Encoding VideoCD 2.0
    compliant mpeg streams. Avi2vcd can create all 3 valid VideoCD streams: FILM
    (23.976 fps), PAL (25 fps), and NTSC (29.97 fps)
  48. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Rick T wrote:
    > Twisted One wrote:
    >> JAD wrote:
    >>
    >>> well what I meant when was it formatted fresh(how old is the drive
    >>> and when
    >>> was the last time it was surface scanned?) Also, I find it suspect
    >>> that you
    >>> were able to compress that AVI that much. I tried a test of that with
    >>> WINRAR. 1 gig AVI file was only compressed 2%. (about 20megs). This
    >>> was a
    >>> windows AVI.
    >>
    >> No doubt a linux AVI would have compressed better. ;)
    >
    > an .avi's an .avi... there's many different kinds, but they're platform
    > independent.

    I know they're platform independent. It was a joke on the original
    poster's taking pains to point out that it was a "windows AVI". ;)

  49. Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    i wasn't going to bother informing you that are differences in AVI's,
    mainly because it would be a lengthily boring post involving WMP or the AVI
    my digital still camera produces, or my digital video, etc etc
    etc............

    > Rick T wrote:
    > > Twisted One wrote:

    > >> No doubt a linux AVI would have compressed better. ;)
    > >
    > > an .avi's an .avi... there's many different kinds, but they're platform
    > > independent.
    >
    > I know they're platform independent. It was a joke on the original
    > poster's taking pains to point out that it was a "windows AVI". ;)
    >
    > --
    > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
    > Palladium? Trusted Computing? DRM? Microsoft? Sauron.
    > "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
    > One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."

Windows Me AVI Compression Windows