Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My .avi file has lost !

Tags:
  • Windows Me
  • AVI
  • Compression
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 2:22:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Hi,

Yesterday night, I tried to compress some big .avi files to windows
compressed folder so that its size could fit in 730MB CD size. Because
the files were so big (600-800MB in size), the compression takes some
time but finally "completed". After that I went to sleep. As I woke up
this morning, I checked the content of the files. What surprised me was
I found no file listed inside as I double click on the compressed
folders to review its content. The compressed folder are hundred
megabytes in size i.e. they seem non empty.

I tried compress some smaller .avi files (from 22MB to 120MB) with the
the same method. I found them inside the compressed folders and could
play them by double clicking them from the compressed folder file list.

What's worst, I found most compressed folders I made previously with
the same method (not made yesterday night) were all empty although I'd
verified previously that the .avi files compressed inside could be
played.

I would like to know how could I fix the problem and get back those
..avi files I sent to those compressed folders ?

"~"

More about : avi file lost

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 2:44:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

emil_lam wrote:

> I would like to know how could I fix the problem and get back those
> .avi files I sent to those compressed folders ?

Try using another compressing programme like Winzip to open them, that
might help.
May 22, 2005 3:04:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

do a file search for all AVI files...you may have changed the destination
without realizing it.

I double click on the compressed
> folders to review its content.

compressed folders?

are you just referring to 'compressed' because its the destination for your
re-encoded/compressed video files.?



"emil_lam" <Emil_Lam@mailcity.com> wrote in message
news:1116739325.198140.68580@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday night, I tried to compress some big .avi files to windows
> compressed folder so that its size could fit in 730MB CD size. Because
> the files were so big (600-800MB in size), the compression takes some
> time but finally "completed". After that I went to sleep. As I woke up
> this morning, I checked the content of the files. What surprised me was
> I found no file listed inside as I double click on the compressed
> folders to review its content. The compressed folder are hundred
> megabytes in size i.e. they seem non empty.
>
> I tried compress some smaller .avi files (from 22MB to 120MB) with the
> the same method. I found them inside the compressed folders and could
> play them by double clicking them from the compressed folder file list.
>
> What's worst, I found most compressed folders I made previously with
> the same method (not made yesterday night) were all empty although I'd
> verified previously that the .avi files compressed inside could be
> played.
>
> I would like to know how could I fix the problem and get back those
> .avi files I sent to those compressed folders ?
>
> "~"
>
Related resources
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 12:29:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Sun, 22 May 2005 10:44:28 +0200, "John of Aix"
<j.murphy@libertysurf.fr> wrote:

>emil_lam wrote:
>
>> I would like to know how could I fix the problem and get back those
>> .avi files I sent to those compressed folders ?
>
>Try using another compressing programme like Winzip to open them, that
>might help.
>

Which won't work if they were compressed with something Winzip doesn't
support. It sounded like the OP was using the compression built into
w2k.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 12:29:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On 21 May 2005 22:22:05 -0700, "emil_lam" <Emil_Lam@mailcity.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Yesterday night, I tried to compress some big .avi files to windows
>compressed folder so that its size could fit in 730MB CD size. Because
>the files were so big (600-800MB in size), the compression takes some
>time but finally "completed". After that I went to sleep. As I woke up
>this morning, I checked the content of the files. What surprised me was
>I found no file listed inside as I double click on the compressed
>folders to review its content. The compressed folder are hundred
>megabytes in size i.e. they seem non empty.
>

You could check the recycle bin. They may have been untentionally
"deleted".

>I tried compress some smaller .avi files (from 22MB to 120MB) with the
>the same method. I found them inside the compressed folders and could
>play them by double clicking them from the compressed folder file list.
>
>What's worst, I found most compressed folders I made previously with
>the same method (not made yesterday night) were all empty although I'd
>verified previously that the .avi files compressed inside could be
>played.
>

But the files disappeared somehow? Will a search of all your disks for
"*.AVI" find them?

>I would like to know how could I fix the problem and get back those
>.avi files I sent to those compressed folders ?
>

Compression can be unreliable. Perhaps you could get a larger HD?

>"~"

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:12:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

John of Aix 寫道:

>
> Try using another compressing programme like Winzip to open them,
that
> might help.

I installed WinZip 6.3 beta this morning. WinZip complained it couldn't
open the compressed folder. I suspect its my WinME compression
program's problem. Could I reinstall it from WinME CD ? What file to
look for ?
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:13:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

John of Aix 寫道:

>
> Try using another compressing programme like Winzip to open them,
that
> might help.

I installed WinZip 6.3 beta this morning. WinZip complained it couldn't
open the compressed folder. I suspect its my WinME compression
program's problem. Could I reinstall it from WinME CD ? What file to
look for ?
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:14:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

No, I haven't changed the destination cos by default the compressed
folder will be created in the same directory as the originally .avi
file.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:24:17 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

No, they wouldn't be found in recycle bin cos in my trial test, I
didn't delete the original .avi file.

What I meant was WinME compression seemed completed without error, a
non-empty .zip folder was created. But when I double clicked on that
folder to view its content, I found no file listed inside the .zip
folder.

My HD free space is 12.5GB now. I don't think HD free space is a
problem.

I agree that compression may be unreliable sometimes but the symptom
seems consistent now. Do you hear of any known bug with Windows ME
compression process ?
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:30:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I would like to ask all of you that will this be a known bug of Windows
ME compression program ? Could I re-install the compression program
from Windows ME ? If so, which files to look for ?

Although I could use WinZip to compress single file, I would still like
to use windows compression program to compress subdirectory trees
(directory with multiple subdirectories and files underneath) because
program comes with windows is better in compressing / de-compressing
directory trees.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 2:04:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Mark Lloyd wrote:


> It sounded like the OP was using the compression built into
> w2k.

ain't any, least not that I've noticed.


Rick
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 2:07:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

John of Aix 寫道:

> Try using another compressing programme like Winzip to open them,
that
> might help.

I've tried using WinZip 6.3 beta to compress 2 sample .avi files.
Compression succeeded for one 704MB file but failed for another 1.12GB
file [Error: Internal logic error (incorrect compressed size)]. Both
files had fault symptom described above when WinME compression being
used.

Will there be upper size limit with source file for WinZip or Windows
compression program ?
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 7:13:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I tried compressed some big .avi files using my WinZip. Compression
succeeded with one .avi file with file size 704MB. I could view the
..avi file from inside the .zip and play it on media player.

But for all other .avi files bigger than 1GB, WinZip couldn't compress
any of them alone.

Is there size limit on uncompressed file for WinZip ?
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 7:54:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Hi emil_lam,


there's an older repair-tool for broken zip-files,
called PKZIPFIX.EXE, perhaps it succeeds on your
broken files.


It is strange you had problems at 1GB, the size-limit
for oldstyle zip-files or zipped items should be around 4 GB.
Are you sure, your file-system is healthy?

And please use a recent WinZip for testing,
rather than an outdated beta-version!


If it helps to find out what has gone wrong at file-level,
you may post a hexdump of a broken file here.
Well, not the entire file, only the first
and the last 256 bytes will be enough, since
there should be all the internal headers.


Hope it helps,


Carsten Neubauer
http://www.c14sw.de
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 11:05:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Where on earth did you get hold of that??
WinZip is up to version 9 now!!!
www.winzip.com


--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"emil_lam" <Emil_Lam@mailcity.com> wrote in message
news:1116821557.613070.98680@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

John of Aix ??:

>
> Try using another compressing programme like Winzip to open them,
that
> might help.

I installed WinZip 6.3 beta this morning. WinZip complained it couldn't
open the compressed folder. I suspect its my WinME compression
program's problem. Could I reinstall it from WinME CD ? What file to
look for ?
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:34:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Sun, 22 May 2005 22:04:02 -0400, Rick T
<plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>
>
>> It sounded like the OP was using the compression built into
>> w2k.
>
>ain't any, least not that I've noticed.
>
>
>Rick

Sorry about mixing up Windows versions. ME's compression is compatible
with Winzip.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:39:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On 22 May 2005 21:24:17 -0700, "emil_lam" <Emil_Lam@mailcity.com>
wrote:

>No, they wouldn't be found in recycle bin cos in my trial test, I
>didn't delete the original .avi file.
>
>What I meant was WinME compression seemed completed without error, a
>non-empty .zip folder was created. But when I double clicked on that
>folder to view its content, I found no file listed inside the .zip
>folder.
>
>My HD free space is 12.5GB now. I don't think HD free space is a
>problem.
>
>I agree that compression may be unreliable sometimes but the symptom
>seems consistent now. Do you hear of any known bug with Windows ME
>compression process ?

No. I've used it few times, although I went to Winzip (and later
Winrar) because it's more versatile.

ZIP compression seems reliable enough (I was talking abour compressed
folders earlier, that's something different from a signle archive
file). I was suggesting that is you were using compression to save
spce on your disk, a larger HD may be preferable.

File compression is still used to save uploading time (although most
of the larger files on the net use RAR instead of ZIP).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:49:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On 23 May 2005 03:54:29 -0700, "Carsten Neubauer" <cn@c14sw.de> wrote:

>Hi emil_lam,
>
>
>there's an older repair-tool for broken zip-files,
>called PKZIPFIX.EXE, perhaps it succeeds on your
>broken files.
>
>
>It is strange you had problems at 1GB, the size-limit
>for oldstyle zip-files or zipped items should be around 4 GB.
>Are you sure, your file-system is healthy?
>

4GB is the file-size limit for FAT32 drives, although older programs
may not work with more than 2GB. This is because of the use of 32-bit
file pointers (both in the computer and on disk). The 2GB limit is
because of signed arithmetic, allowing use on only 31 bits.

Note that this limit is NOT related to cluster size (as the disk size
limit is).

>And please use a recent WinZip for testing,
>rather than an outdated beta-version!
>
>
>If it helps to find out what has gone wrong at file-level,
>you may post a hexdump of a broken file here.
>Well, not the entire file, only the first
>and the last 256 bytes will be enough, since
>there should be all the internal headers.
>
>
>Hope it helps,
>
>
>Carsten Neubauer
>http://www.c14sw.de

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:52:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I'm unaware that .zip compression is unreliable in any way. I've also
had no problems with WinME native .zipping but I've never tried it on
anything more than 100ish MB.

You may want to give it a shot with DOS mode PKZip; ver 2.04g is the
latest, I believe and is still available as free/shareware in numerous
places on the net.

I'm curious as to how much compression you can get on an .avi file.


Rick



emil_lam wrote:
> No, they wouldn't be found in recycle bin cos in my trial test, I
> didn't delete the original .avi file.
>
> What I meant was WinME compression seemed completed without error, a
> non-empty .zip folder was created. But when I double clicked on that
> folder to view its content, I found no file listed inside the .zip
> folder.
>
> My HD free space is 12.5GB now. I don't think HD free space is a
> problem.
>
> I agree that compression may be unreliable sometimes but the symptom
> seems consistent now. Do you hear of any known bug with Windows ME
> compression process ?
>
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:52:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Mon, 23 May 2005 09:52:01 -0400, Rick T
<plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm unaware that .zip compression is unreliable in any way. I've also
>had no problems with WinME native .zipping but I've never tried it on
>anything more than 100ish MB.
>

There will always be reduced reliability becaused of the increaded
complexity involved, but mainly I got confused because the OP referred
to a compressed FOLDER, rather than just a file (as a ZIP file is).

Note that RAR seems to be preferred over ZIP for very large files.

>You may want to give it a shot with DOS mode PKZip; ver 2.04g is the
>latest, I believe and is still available as free/shareware in numerous
>places on the net.
>
>I'm curious as to how much compression you can get on an .avi file.
>

Very little, considering that the file is already compressed. They
sometimes claim 2x or more (where 1x would be original size). You may
get 1.001x.

>
>Rick
>
>
>
>emil_lam wrote:
>> No, they wouldn't be found in recycle bin cos in my trial test, I
>> didn't delete the original .avi file.
>>
>> What I meant was WinME compression seemed completed without error, a
>> non-empty .zip folder was created. But when I double clicked on that
>> folder to view its content, I found no file listed inside the .zip
>> folder.
>>
>> My HD free space is 12.5GB now. I don't think HD free space is a
>> problem.
>>
>> I agree that compression may be unreliable sometimes but the symptom
>> seems consistent now. Do you hear of any known bug with Windows ME
>> compression process ?
>>

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:54:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Something's niggling my brain (well moreso than usual); some .avi files
have a problem at 1 Gig, but darned if I can remember which ones and why.

Rick


Carsten Neubauer wrote:
> Hi emil_lam,
>
>
> there's an older repair-tool for broken zip-files,
> called PKZIPFIX.EXE, perhaps it succeeds on your
> broken files.
>
>
> It is strange you had problems at 1GB, the size-limit
> for oldstyle zip-files or zipped items should be around 4 GB.
> Are you sure, your file-system is healthy?
>
> And please use a recent WinZip for testing,
> rather than an outdated beta-version!
>
>
> If it helps to find out what has gone wrong at file-level,
> you may post a hexdump of a broken file here.
> Well, not the entire file, only the first
> and the last 256 bytes will be enough, since
> there should be all the internal headers.
>
>
> Hope it helps,
>
>
> Carsten Neubauer
> http://www.c14sw.de
>
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 3:01:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On Sun, 22 May 2005 22:04:02 -0400, Rick T
> <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>It sounded like the OP was using the compression built into
>>>w2k.
>>
>>ain't any, least not that I've noticed.
>>
>>
>>Rick
>
>
> Sorry about mixing up Windows versions. ME's compression is compatible
> with Winzip.
>

just me gettin' too lazy to reread the original post is all.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 3:25:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

AVI files are normally already compressed and there is little benefit to
be gained by attempting to further compress them. Similarly for jpg and
mp3 and other compressed file formats.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


emil_lam <Emil_Lam@mailcity.com> wrote:

> I tried compressed some big .avi files using my WinZip. Compression
> succeeded with one .avi file with file size 704MB. I could view the
> .avi file from inside the .zip and play it on media player.
>
> But for all other .avi files bigger than 1GB, WinZip couldn't compress
> any of them alone.
>
> Is there size limit on uncompressed file for WinZip ?
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 8:07:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> ZIP compression seems reliable enough (I was talking abour compressed
> folders earlier, that's something different from a signle archive
> file). I was suggesting that is you were using compression to save
> spce on your disk, a larger HD may be preferable.

A decent-size hard drive costs $50-100.
Zipping a file costs, well, zip.

You do the math.

--
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
Palladium? Trusted Computing? DRM? Microsoft? Sauron.
"One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."
May 23, 2005 8:07:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Mon, 23 May 2005 16:07:28 -0400, Twisted One
<twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> ZIP compression seems reliable enough (I was talking abour compressed
>> folders earlier, that's something different from a signle archive
>> file). I was suggesting that is you were using compression to save
>> spce on your disk, a larger HD may be preferable.
>
>A decent-size hard drive costs $50-100.
>Zipping a file costs, well, zip.
>
>You do the math.

I'd rather not limit mysyel that way, by forgretting that money isn't
everything.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 9:10:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Sam wrote:
>>A decent-size hard drive costs $50-100.
>>Zipping a file costs, well, zip.
>>
>>You do the math.
>
> I'd rather not limit mysyel that way, by forgretting that money isn't
> everything.

Well, congratulations on your wealth. Just keep in mind that not
everyone has the sort of disposable income you do, and can blow a
hundred bucks here, two hundred there on a whim...

--
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
Palladium? Trusted Computing? DRM? Microsoft? Sauron.
"One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 9:10:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:10:23 -0400, Twisted One
<twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote:

>Sam wrote:
>>>A decent-size hard drive costs $50-100.
>>>Zipping a file costs, well, zip.
>>>
>>>You do the math.
>>
>> I'd rather not limit mysyel that way, by forgretting that money isn't
>> everything.
>
>Well, congratulations on your wealth. Just keep in mind that not
>everyone has the sort of disposable income you do, and can blow a
>hundred bucks here, two hundred there on a whim...

That poster DIDN'T say anything about being wealthy, or about money
not being important. What he did say is that money is far from the
ONLY thing to consider when making a decision.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what
to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
May 23, 2005 9:54:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

'Whim' makes Hard drives now...?


"Twisted One" <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote in message
news:lYednd6sCqUV2w_fRVn-hw@rogers.com...
> Sam wrote:
> >>A decent-size hard drive costs $50-100.
> >>Zipping a file costs, well, zip.
> >>
> >>You do the math.
> >
> > I'd rather not limit mysyel that way, by forgretting that money isn't
> > everything.
>
> Well, congratulations on your wealth. Just keep in mind that not
> everyone has the sort of disposable income you do, and can blow a
> hundred bucks here, two hundred there on a whim...
>
> --
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
> Palladium? Trusted Computing? DRM? Microsoft? Sauron.
> "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
> One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."
>
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 9:55:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:10:23 -0400, Twisted One
> <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote:
>
>
>>Sam wrote:
>>
>>>>A decent-size hard drive costs $50-100.
>>>>Zipping a file costs, well, zip.
>>>>
>>>>You do the math.
>>>
>>>I'd rather not limit mysyel that way, by forgretting that money isn't
>>>everything.
>>
>>Well, congratulations on your wealth. Just keep in mind that not
>>everyone has the sort of disposable income you do, and can blow a
>>hundred bucks here, two hundred there on a whim...
>
>
> That poster DIDN'T say anything about being wealthy, or about money
> not being important. What he did say is that money is far from the
> ONLY thing to consider when making a decision.
>

whatever... the best solution would be to re-encode the .avi using a
more intensive video-compression alogorithm rather than a general file
compressor (.zip); that way he'd get the optimal compression.


Rick
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 9:55:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:55:49 -0400, Rick T
<plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:10:23 -0400, Twisted One
>> <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Sam wrote:
>>>
>>>>>A decent-size hard drive costs $50-100.
>>>>>Zipping a file costs, well, zip.
>>>>>
>>>>>You do the math.
>>>>
>>>>I'd rather not limit mysyel that way, by forgretting that money isn't
>>>>everything.
>>>
>>>Well, congratulations on your wealth. Just keep in mind that not
>>>everyone has the sort of disposable income you do, and can blow a
>>>hundred bucks here, two hundred there on a whim...
>>
>>
>> That poster DIDN'T say anything about being wealthy, or about money
>> not being important. What he did say is that money is far from the
>> ONLY thing to consider when making a decision.
>>
>
>whatever... the best solution would be to re-encode the .avi using a
>more intensive video-compression alogorithm rather than a general file
>compressor (.zip); that way he'd get the optimal compression.
>
>
>Rick

That would be a good idea. Note that MPEG encoding is very
CPU-intensive, and computer speed has a big effect on how long it
takes to compress.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what
to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 1:01:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Rick T 寫道:
> I'm unaware that .zip compression is unreliable in any way. I've
also
> had no problems with WinME native .zipping but I've never tried it on

> anything more than 100ish MB.
>
> You may want to give it a shot with DOS mode PKZip; ver 2.04g is the
> latest, I believe and is still available as free/shareware in
numerous
> places on the net.
>
> I'm curious as to how much compression you can get on an .avi file.
>
Example: If Windows Compression was successful, a 1.01 GB .avi file
could be compressed to below 700MB, which fitted inside one CD.

Actually, the HD I'm now working on is a temp one. It's networking
function is not working i.e. I couldn't move out those big files to
another computer. I need to copy as much data to CD as possible.

>
> Rick
>
>
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 1:05:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Mark,

I don't want those big .avi files to occupy my HD space. I want them to
be kept in CD so that I can reuse the HD space for other purpose.
That's why I'm trying to compress those .avi as far as possible. I know
that some really big files couldn't fit in 730MB CD no matter which
compression program I use. I will try to move them to other HD with
space later .
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 1:11:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Agree ! I had tried this long before but the coder used by that TV card
(producer of those .avi files) was rathter proprietary that I couldn't
find video coding software to convert it to more space saving format.

I had raised the case to the card vendor already but couldn't figure
out a solution.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 1:19:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Carsten,

Here are the head & tail hexdump of one sample .zip file created by
WinME compression

First 256 bytes:

50 4b 03 04 14 00 00 00 08 00 22 5a 8e 2c c1 7f
f1 53 88 a7 9b 07 00 7e fd 3d 0e 00 00 00 30 34
31 34 31 31 31 32 33 37 2e 41 56 49 ec dd 7f 34
de 75 ff c0 f1 0f 93 64 32 33 93 24 c9 6c 33 49
e6 96 c9 cc 4c 92 99 6c 99 c9 24 99 99 99 99 64
26 ed 87 49 92 24 b3 4d 92 24 c9 cc 4c 92 24 5b
66 92 24 99 4c b6 24 49 b2 65 32 b9 25 49 a6 7b
f3 fc 76 ba ef be df 73 ee 3f bf e7 74 5e cf 73
5d d7 e3 ba 3e d7 fb f3 fe 5c e7 5c d7 39 d7 9f
2f ef d5 6e 6e 13 fb ae ac 58 e5 bb da c4 73 f5
7a 1f c7 69 45 09 0b 89 8e d8 14 bb 2d cc 5e 51
14 df 44 45 b9 50 bc 5c 51 54 15 45 47 43 51 6c
6f 53 66 ba fa 52 d1 f0 56 55 82 54 14 c5 44 45
f9 5f 5d db 2b 26 5e 51 76 c6 44 47 5c bd cf ec
15 bb 2d 64 e7 46 df a5 36 ff be 6e 9b 81 ba 92
90 95 ad a8 5d 7d 3e cb 90 3d ff da d5 f3 43 cd

Last 260 bytes :

d8 17 ea cd 3e a3 17 b9 0f 7b 89 ae 7d 99 36 f0
a3 43 fc e9 ea 00 5a 6f 2b 1d b4 8d ae 7c 8d d6
09 a5 03 c2 f8 fe f2 70 be 3f f0 2d ee 2b de a6
67 b7 d3 fe d1 74 59 0c ad 8d a5 7d 77 d1 25 ef
d1 53 ef d3 3e 32 ba 28 89 9e 48 a6 bd 76 d3 8a
3d ec 1d db cb de c2 74 ee c7 33 68 cf fd 74 c1
a7 f4 e8 67 b4 7b 0e 9d 97 4b 0f e7 d1 ae 87 e8
9c c3 f4 e0 11 5a 5c c4 qe 79 31 7b 24 47 b9 cf
fe 9a 1e 38 46 bb 94 d3 59 15 b4 a6 92 76 3e 45
67 9c a6 7b bf a5 1d eb e8 b4 7a ba bb 81 b6 3f
cb be 94 73 ec 73 58 e6 3e b5 85 ee 6a a5 ed 2e
d1 c9 97 e9 8e 1f 69 1b 35 2d eb a0 55 9d b4 d5
35 3a e1 3a dd 7e 83 3d c2 3e f6 28 fb b8 b7 fc
95 8e ff 8d 6e fb 9d b6 18 a2 63 87 e9 96 11 da
ec 0e 1d 7d 97 6e fa 8b 36 99 a4 23 a7 d8 d3 30
cd 9e a8 fb ff f9 bf da 4b 26 d3 f9 9f ef ff ed
ff 7e ff 06

I wanted to use a more recent WinZip but unfortunately this HD was
installed temporarily and no networking function available. The latest
WinZip 9 suggested by Noel Paton has over 2MB size even after
compression.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 3:47:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:55:49 -0400, Rick T
> <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>>whatever... the best solution would be to re-encode the .avi using a
>>more intensive video-compression alogorithm rather than a general file
>>compressor (.zip); that way he'd get the optimal compression.
>>
>>
>>Rick
>
>
> That would be a good idea. Note that MPEG encoding is very
> CPU-intensive, and computer speed has a big effect on how long it
> takes to compress.
>

takes less CPU to decode, though. There's (probably) an .avi to .avi
converter out there somewhere. I used to be up on these things; I think
the target format should be in the same family as the original. The
trick of course is to make sure you're not losing info.


Rick
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 4:36:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

emil_lam wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I don't want those big .avi files to occupy my HD space. I want them to
> be kept in CD so that I can reuse the HD space for other purpose.
> That's why I'm trying to compress those .avi as far as possible. I know
> that some really big files couldn't fit in 730MB CD no matter which
> compression program I use. I will try to move them to other HD with
> space later .
>

..zips have been able to span volumes for quite awhile.


As a test why don't you throw something huge into a zipfile with no
compression, then with low compression so you can actually watch it at work.

Rick
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 8:27:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

emil_lam schrieb:
> Carsten,
>
> Here are the head & tail hexdump of one sample .zip file created by
> WinME compression
>
> First 256 bytes:
>
> ...

here's what i see in there:

the start:
==========

50 4b 03 04 : fileheader-ID
14 00 : version 2.0
00 00 : no flags
08 00 : DeFlate-method
22 5a 8e 2c : Date/Time
c1 7f f1 53 : CRC32
88 a7 9b 07 : compressed size : 127,641,480 bytes
00 7e fd 3d : uncompressed size : 1,040,023,040 bytes
0e 00 : filename length
00 00 : exra length

30 34 31 34 31 31 31 32 33 37 2e 41 56 49
: 0414111237.AVI
rest : compressed data


looks correct, like a proper zip-header.
both sizes do not seem to exceed any 2GB or 4GB border.


>
> Last 260 bytes :
>
> d8 17 ea cd 3e a3 17 b9 0f 7b 89 ae 7d 99 36 f0
> a3 43 fc e9 ea 00 5a 6f 2b 1d b4 8d ae 7c 8d d6
> 09 a5 03 c2 f8 fe f2 70 be 3f f0 2d ee 2b de a6
> 67 b7 d3 fe d1 74 59 0c ad 8d a5 7d 77 d1 25 ef
> d1 53 ef d3 3e 32 ba 28 89 9e 48 a6 bd 76 d3 8a
> 3d ec 1d db cb de c2 74 ee c7 33 68 cf fd 74 c1
> a7 f4 e8 67 b4 7b 0e 9d 97 4b 0f e7 d1 ae 87 e8
> 9c c3 f4 e0 11 5a 5c c4 qe 79 31 7b 24 47 b9 cf
^^
ehm, are you serious about the letter 'q' in here?

> fe 9a 1e 38 46 bb 94 d3 59 15 b4 a6 92 76 3e 45
> 67 9c a6 7b bf a5 1d eb e8 b4 7a ba bb 81 b6 3f
> cb be 94 73 ec 73 58 e6 3e b5 85 ee 6a a5 ed 2e
> d1 c9 97 e9 8e 1f 69 1b 35 2d eb a0 55 9d b4 d5
> 35 3a e1 3a dd 7e 83 3d c2 3e f6 28 fb b8 b7 fc
> 95 8e ff 8d 6e fb 9d b6 18 a2 63 87 e9 96 11 da
> ec 0e 1d 7d 97 6e fa 8b 36 99 a4 23 a7 d8 d3 30
> cd 9e a8 fb ff f9 bf da 4b 26 d3 f9 9f ef ff ed
> ff 7e ff 06
>

this looks odd, i had expected to see the filename,
both lengths and the CRC immediately, but this
second part looks like compressed data, rather than
the proper end of a zip-file to me.

so your file looks corrupt to me, as if some important
data is missing from the end of your file.
as if something crashed and your file wasn't finished
or truncated by accident?



> I wanted to use a more recent WinZip but unfortunately this HD was
> installed temporarily and no networking function available. The
latest
> WinZip 9 suggested by Noel Paton has over 2MB size even after
> compression.

Two floppys and your hex-editor, a CD or some USB-stick could fix that.

You may better rule out all possible culprits.



Hope it helps,


Carsten Neubauer
http://www.c14sw.de
http://www.edcomponents.com
May 24, 2005 11:32:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

hmmm end of file looks weird...like the HD had bad sectors where your files
are residing. have you defragged that drive? reformat to map bad areas?

"emil_lam" <Emil_Lam@mailcity.com> wrote in message
news:1116908355.354766.132890@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Carsten,
>
> Here are the head & tail hexdump of one sample .zip file created by
> WinME compression
>
> First 256 bytes:
>
> 50 4b 03 04 14 00 00 00 08 00 22 5a 8e 2c c1 7f
> f1 53 88 a7 9b 07 00 7e fd 3d 0e 00 00 00 30 34
> 31 34 31 31 31 32 33 37 2e 41 56 49 ec dd 7f 34
> de 75 ff c0 f1 0f 93 64 32 33 93 24 c9 6c 33 49
> e6 96 c9 cc 4c 92 99 6c 99 c9 24 99 99 99 99 64
> 26 ed 87 49 92 24 b3 4d 92 24 c9 cc 4c 92 24 5b
> 66 92 24 99 4c b6 24 49 b2 65 32 b9 25 49 a6 7b
> f3 fc 76 ba ef be df 73 ee 3f bf e7 74 5e cf 73
> 5d d7 e3 ba 3e d7 fb f3 fe 5c e7 5c d7 39 d7 9f
> 2f ef d5 6e 6e 13 fb ae ac 58 e5 bb da c4 73 f5
> 7a 1f c7 69 45 09 0b 89 8e d8 14 bb 2d cc 5e 51
> 14 df 44 45 b9 50 bc 5c 51 54 15 45 47 43 51 6c
> 6f 53 66 ba fa 52 d1 f0 56 55 82 54 14 c5 44 45
> f9 5f 5d db 2b 26 5e 51 76 c6 44 47 5c bd cf ec
> 15 bb 2d 64 e7 46 df a5 36 ff be 6e 9b 81 ba 92
> 90 95 ad a8 5d 7d 3e cb 90 3d ff da d5 f3 43 cd
>
> Last 260 bytes :
>
> d8 17 ea cd 3e a3 17 b9 0f 7b 89 ae 7d 99 36 f0
> a3 43 fc e9 ea 00 5a 6f 2b 1d b4 8d ae 7c 8d d6
> 09 a5 03 c2 f8 fe f2 70 be 3f f0 2d ee 2b de a6
> 67 b7 d3 fe d1 74 59 0c ad 8d a5 7d 77 d1 25 ef
> d1 53 ef d3 3e 32 ba 28 89 9e 48 a6 bd 76 d3 8a
> 3d ec 1d db cb de c2 74 ee c7 33 68 cf fd 74 c1
> a7 f4 e8 67 b4 7b 0e 9d 97 4b 0f e7 d1 ae 87 e8
> 9c c3 f4 e0 11 5a 5c c4 qe 79 31 7b 24 47 b9 cf
> fe 9a 1e 38 46 bb 94 d3 59 15 b4 a6 92 76 3e 45
> 67 9c a6 7b bf a5 1d eb e8 b4 7a ba bb 81 b6 3f
> cb be 94 73 ec 73 58 e6 3e b5 85 ee 6a a5 ed 2e
> d1 c9 97 e9 8e 1f 69 1b 35 2d eb a0 55 9d b4 d5
> 35 3a e1 3a dd 7e 83 3d c2 3e f6 28 fb b8 b7 fc
> 95 8e ff 8d 6e fb 9d b6 18 a2 63 87 e9 96 11 da
> ec 0e 1d 7d 97 6e fa 8b 36 99 a4 23 a7 d8 d3 30
> cd 9e a8 fb ff f9 bf da 4b 26 d3 f9 9f ef ff ed
> ff 7e ff 06
>
> I wanted to use a more recent WinZip but unfortunately this HD was
> installed temporarily and no networking function available. The latest
> WinZip 9 suggested by Noel Paton has over 2MB size even after
> compression.
>
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:46:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Mon, 23 May 2005 23:47:45 -0400, Rick T
<plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:55:49 -0400, Rick T
>> <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>>whatever... the best solution would be to re-encode the .avi using a
>>>more intensive video-compression alogorithm rather than a general file
>>>compressor (.zip); that way he'd get the optimal compression.
>>>
>>>
>>>Rick
>>
>>
>> That would be a good idea. Note that MPEG encoding is very
>> CPU-intensive, and computer speed has a big effect on how long it
>> takes to compress.
>>
>
>takes less CPU to decode, though.

It's designed that way. MPEG encoding is much more CPU-intensive than
MPEG decoding (which would be done much more often, on less expensive
hardware).

>There's (probably) an .avi to .avi
>converter out there somewhere. I used to be up on these things; I think
>the target format should be in the same family as the original. The
>trick of course is to make sure you're not losing info.
>
>
>Rick

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what
to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
May 24, 2005 2:49:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:54:03 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>'Whim' makes Hard drives now...?
>

'Whim' is a brand name belonging to Western Digital, and is sold only
in discount stores and on home shopping channels :-)

>
>"Twisted One" <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote in message
>news:lYednd6sCqUV2w_fRVn-hw@rogers.com...
>> Sam wrote:
>> >>A decent-size hard drive costs $50-100.
>> >>Zipping a file costs, well, zip.
>> >>
>> >>You do the math.
>> >
>> > I'd rather not limit mysyel that way, by forgretting that money isn't
>> > everything.
>>
>> Well, congratulations on your wealth. Just keep in mind that not
>> everyone has the sort of disposable income you do, and can blow a
>> hundred bucks here, two hundred there on a whim...
>>
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:52:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On 23 May 2005 21:05:42 -0700, "emil_lam" <Emil_Lam@mailcity.com>
wrote:

>Mark,
>
>I don't want those big .avi files to occupy my HD space. I want them to
>be kept in CD so that I can reuse the HD space for other purpose.
>That's why I'm trying to compress those .avi as far as possible. I know
>that some really big files couldn't fit in 730MB CD no matter which
>compression program I use. I will try to move them to other HD with
>space later .

You might try:

getting WinRAR (http://www.rarlab.com/)
converting to MPEG
using DVD recordable
splitting files (see another post in this thread)

or doing more than one of these.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what
to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:54:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Tue, 24 May 2005 00:36:36 -0400, Rick T
<plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>emil_lam wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>> I don't want those big .avi files to occupy my HD space. I want them to
>> be kept in CD so that I can reuse the HD space for other purpose.
>> That's why I'm trying to compress those .avi as far as possible. I know
>> that some really big files couldn't fit in 730MB CD no matter which
>> compression program I use. I will try to move them to other HD with
>> space later .
>>
>
>.zips have been able to span volumes for quite awhile.
>

Remember to split the file into appropriately-sized pieces before
burning the CDs. This needs drives accessible to your OS, and CDs are
not unless you use packet writing (another level of complexity, and so
a point of failure).

>
>As a test why don't you throw something huge into a zipfile with no
>compression, then with low compression so you can actually watch it at work.
>
>Rick

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what
to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 1:09:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Carsten Neubauer 寫道:
> emil_lam schrieb:
>
>
> >
> > Last 260 bytes :
> >
> > d8 17 ea cd 3e a3 17 b9 0f 7b 89 ae 7d 99 36 f0
> > a3 43 fc e9 ea 00 5a 6f 2b 1d b4 8d ae 7c 8d d6
> > 09 a5 03 c2 f8 fe f2 70 be 3f f0 2d ee 2b de a6
> > 67 b7 d3 fe d1 74 59 0c ad 8d a5 7d 77 d1 25 ef
> > d1 53 ef d3 3e 32 ba 28 89 9e 48 a6 bd 76 d3 8a
> > 3d ec 1d db cb de c2 74 ee c7 33 68 cf fd 74 c1
> > a7 f4 e8 67 b4 7b 0e 9d 97 4b 0f e7 d1 ae 87 e8
> > 9c c3 f4 e0 11 5a 5c c4 qe 79 31 7b 24 47 b9 cf
> ^^
> ehm, are you serious about the letter 'q' in here?

Sorry, typing mistake, it should be 1e

>
> > fe 9a 1e 38 46 bb 94 d3 59 15 b4 a6 92 76 3e 45
> > 67 9c a6 7b bf a5 1d eb e8 b4 7a ba bb 81 b6 3f
> > cb be 94 73 ec 73 58 e6 3e b5 85 ee 6a a5 ed 2e
> > d1 c9 97 e9 8e 1f 69 1b 35 2d eb a0 55 9d b4 d5
> > 35 3a e1 3a dd 7e 83 3d c2 3e f6 28 fb b8 b7 fc
> > 95 8e ff 8d 6e fb 9d b6 18 a2 63 87 e9 96 11 da
> > ec 0e 1d 7d 97 6e fa 8b 36 99 a4 23 a7 d8 d3 30
> > cd 9e a8 fb ff f9 bf da 4b 26 d3 f9 9f ef ff ed
> > ff 7e ff 06
> >
>
> this looks odd, i had expected to see the filename,
> both lengths and the CRC immediately, but this
> second part looks like compressed data, rather than
> the proper end of a zip-file to me.
>
> so your file looks corrupt to me, as if some important
> data is missing from the end of your file.
> as if something crashed and your file wasn't finished
> or truncated by accident?
>
>
>
> > I wanted to use a more recent WinZip but unfortunately this HD was
> > installed temporarily and no networking function available. The
> latest
> > WinZip 9 suggested by Noel Paton has over 2MB size even after
> > compression.
>
> Two floppys and your hex-editor, a CD or some USB-stick could fix that.
>
You mean using 2 floppies to hold the 2MB WinZip ? The CD drive of
current notebook I used for internet browsing had died already :( .
Couldn't understand why you mention USB-stick.

> You may better rule out all possible culprits.
>
>
>
> Hope it helps,
>
>
> Carsten Neubauer
> http://www.c14sw.de
> http://www.edcomponents.com
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 1:12:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

No defragmentation done yet. Reformat ? All data will be lost !

How about scandisk & surface scan ? Could this help to identify bad
sectors ?
May 25, 2005 1:30:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

well what I meant when was it formatted fresh(how old is the drive and when
was the last time it was surface scanned?) Also, I find it suspect that you
were able to compress that AVI that much. I tried a test of that with
WINRAR. 1 gig AVI file was only compressed 2%. (about 20megs). This was a
windows AVI.

"emil_lam" <Emil_Lam@mailcity.com> wrote in message
news:1117037566.682550.11030@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> No defragmentation done yet. Reformat ? All data will be lost !
>
> How about scandisk & surface scan ? Could this help to identify bad
> sectors ?
>
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 8:16:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

JAD wrote:
> well what I meant when was it formatted fresh(how old is the drive and when
> was the last time it was surface scanned?) Also, I find it suspect that you
> were able to compress that AVI that much. I tried a test of that with
> WINRAR. 1 gig AVI file was only compressed 2%. (about 20megs). This was a
> windows AVI.

No doubt a linux AVI would have compressed better. ;) 

--
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
Palladium? Trusted Computing? DRM? Microsoft? Sauron.
"One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:25:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Twisted One wrote:
> JAD wrote:
>
>> well what I meant when was it formatted fresh(how old is the drive and
>> when
>> was the last time it was surface scanned?) Also, I find it suspect
>> that you
>> were able to compress that AVI that much. I tried a test of that with
>> WINRAR. 1 gig AVI file was only compressed 2%. (about 20megs). This was a
>> windows AVI.
>
>
> No doubt a linux AVI would have compressed better. ;) 
>

an .avi's an .avi... there's many different kinds, but they're platform
independent.

Rick
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 9:27:13 AM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"emil_lam" <Emil_Lam@mailcity.com> wrote in message
news:1117037566.682550.11030@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> No defragmentation done yet. Reformat ? All data will be lost !
>
> How about scandisk & surface scan ? Could this help to identify bad
> sectors ?
>

Go here http://cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_utils_6.shtml and try this
program. AVI2VCD I use it to convert AVI video to mpeg. In the process it
reduces the size of the file by quite a bit, about half. Then you will have
a much smaller file to deal with plus give you more room on you cd.
AVI2VCD is an MPEG encoder with only one purpose: Encoding VideoCD 2.0
compliant mpeg streams. Avi2vcd can create all 3 valid VideoCD streams: FILM
(23.976 fps), PAL (25 fps), and NTSC (29.97 fps)
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 8:57:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Rick T wrote:
> Twisted One wrote:
>> JAD wrote:
>>
>>> well what I meant when was it formatted fresh(how old is the drive
>>> and when
>>> was the last time it was surface scanned?) Also, I find it suspect
>>> that you
>>> were able to compress that AVI that much. I tried a test of that with
>>> WINRAR. 1 gig AVI file was only compressed 2%. (about 20megs). This
>>> was a
>>> windows AVI.
>>
>> No doubt a linux AVI would have compressed better. ;) 
>
> an .avi's an .avi... there's many different kinds, but they're platform
> independent.

I know they're platform independent. It was a joke on the original
poster's taking pains to point out that it was a "windows AVI". ;) 

--
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
Palladium? Trusted Computing? DRM? Microsoft? Sauron.
"One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."
May 26, 2005 8:57:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.compression,comp.windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,alt.windows-me,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

i wasn't going to bother informing you that are differences in AVI's,
mainly because it would be a lengthily boring post involving WMP or the AVI
my digital still camera produces, or my digital video, etc etc
etc............


"Twisted One" <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote in message
news:EoqdnVMmW7-LpQvfRVn-pA@rogers.com...
> Rick T wrote:
> > Twisted One wrote:
> >> JAD wrote:
> >>
> >>> well what I meant when was it formatted fresh(how old is the drive
> >>> and when
> >>> was the last time it was surface scanned?) Also, I find it suspect
> >>> that you
> >>> were able to compress that AVI that much. I tried a test of that with
> >>> WINRAR. 1 gig AVI file was only compressed 2%. (about 20megs). This
> >>> was a
> >>> windows AVI.
> >>
> >> No doubt a linux AVI would have compressed better. ;) 
> >
> > an .avi's an .avi... there's many different kinds, but they're platform
> > independent.
>
> I know they're platform independent. It was a joke on the original
> poster's taking pains to point out that it was a "windows AVI". ;) 
>
> --
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
> Palladium? Trusted Computing? DRM? Microsoft? Sauron.
> "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
> One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."
>
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!