Cannot find Server - DNS Error

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 24, 2005 2:19:25 AM

No web access, like "out of the blue".
Internet Explorer cannot find server ( no problem with DNS ).
Why does this occur and how to fix?
It happened on my standby machine.
I've delt with this before, but don't recall the remedy, it was too long
ago.
Will removal and reconfiguration of the ISP correct the problem?

Harry.

More about : find server dns error

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 4:14:02 AM

Are you using a dial-up connection or a high speed internet ?

Start > run. Type command and press Enter. Here type ping www.google.com to
see the result.

If request timed out error, networking components needs to be reinstalled.

Below is the illustrated step:

http://www.its.qut.edu.au/offcampusaccess/dialin/guides...

Some steps may vary depending on the ISP you use.

--
Jonybrv

"webster72n" wrote:

> No web access, like "out of the blue".
> Internet Explorer cannot find server ( no problem with DNS ).
> Why does this occur and how to fix?
> It happened on my standby machine.
> I've delt with this before, but don't recall the remedy, it was too long
> ago.
> Will removal and reconfiguration of the ISP correct the problem?
>
> Harry.

May 24, 2005 1:01:27 PM

Well, Harry, seems I'm behind the times re UP'n'P. And it seems that if you
did disable it either manually or using UnPlug'n'Pray, if it were required
for your USB modem, I imagine this would be the consequence.

Alternatively, if you've inadvertently blocked Internet Explorer with
whichever firewall you're using on that one, again this would be the likely
consequence.

Shane

news:o 6cUbaAYFHA.2796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> No web access, like "out of the blue".
> Internet Explorer cannot find server ( no problem with DNS ).
> Why does this occur and how to fix?
> It happened on my standby machine.
> I've delt with this before, but don't recall the remedy, it was too long
> ago.
> Will removal and reconfiguration of the ISP correct the problem?
>
> Harry.

May 24, 2005 1:47:22 PM

Shane:

We are talking two different machines, the UPnP is on this one and the
'Cannot find Server' on my standby.
I'm going to look into Jonybrv's suggestions and see whether that will do
the trick.
Thanks.

Harry.

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Well, Harry, seems I'm behind the times re UP'n'P. And it seems that if
you
> did disable it either manually or using UnPlug'n'Pray, if it were required
> for your USB modem, I imagine this would be the consequence.
>
> Alternatively, if you've inadvertently blocked Internet Explorer with
> whichever firewall you're using on that one, again this would be the
likely
> consequence.
>

> Shane
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> news:o 6cUbaAYFHA.2796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > No web access, like "out of the blue".
> > Internet Explorer cannot find server ( no problem with DNS ).
> > Why does this occur and how to fix?
> > It happened on my standby machine.
> > I've delt with this before, but don't recall the remedy, it was too long
> > ago.
> > Will removal and reconfiguration of the ISP correct the problem?
> >
> > Harry.

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:30:01 PM

Dial-up, Jonybrv.

"Jonybrv" <Jonybrv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Are you using a dial-up connection or a high speed internet ?
>
> Start > run. Type command and press Enter. Here type ping www.google.com
> see the result.
>
> If request timed out error, networking components needs to be reinstalled.
>
> Below is the illustrated step:
>
> http://www.its.qut.edu.au/offcampusaccess/dialin/guides...
>
> Some steps may vary depending on the ISP you use.
>

> --
> Jonybrv
>

> "webster72n" wrote:
>
> > No web access, like "out of the blue".
> > Internet Explorer cannot find server ( no problem with DNS ).
> > Why does this occur and how to fix?
> > It happened on my standby machine.
> > I've delt with this before, but don't recall the remedy, it was too long
> > ago.
> > Will removal and reconfiguration of the ISP correct the problem?
> >
> > Harry.

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 3:47:07 PM

My apologies:
This all happened last night.
Today I got on the web again without trouble.
Don't know what the cause could have been, but obviously it was temporary.
I will keep your instructions, Jonybrv, just in case.
Thank you very much.

Harry.

news:o 6cUbaAYFHA.2796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> No web access, like "out of the blue".
> Internet Explorer cannot find server ( no problem with DNS ).
> Why does this occur and how to fix?
> It happened on my standby machine.
> I've delt with this before, but don't recall the remedy, it was too long
> ago.
> Will removal and reconfiguration of the ISP correct the problem?
>
> Harry.

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 11:01:01 PM

You are welcome.