BTNHND.EXE

I have recently started getting error msgs when using Excel, Word and other
3rd party applications with Windows ME. eg: "BTNHND has caused an invalid
page fault in module BTNHND.EXE at 0197.0040116b." Sometimes I can close the
application and restart, sometimes the whole screen freezes. This is
happenning very often now.
15 answers Last reply
More about btnhnd

    Google indicates that BTNHND.EXE is SpyWare.

    The following notes, acknowledged to Noel Paton :-

    "You may have a virus/spyware hijack

    download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
    viruses are not present on your PC
    http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

    - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.

    Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
    CoolWebSearch hijacker.

    Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
    http://www.merijn.org/files/CWShredder.exe
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/CWShredder.exe
    http://www.zerosrealm.com/downloads/CWShredder.zip

    download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
    update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
    your system."

    Mart

    From: "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam>

    | Google indicates that BTNHND.EXE is SpyWare.
    |
    | The following notes, acknowledged to Noel Paton :-
    |
    | "You may have a virus/spyware hijack
    |
    | download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
    | viruses are not present on your PC
    | http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

    Mart:

    If it is spyware then Stinger won't help as it only targets ~53 viruses or Trojans, but
    mostly worms, and their respective variants.

    If you think that there is a virus, Trojan or worm then suggest using the Trend Micro
    Sysclean utility as it is a broad-spectrum virus removal tool that has a library of ~90,000
    instead of only 53 viruses and their variants.

    I have written a front end utility to make the use of Trend Sysclean easy as it
    automatically downloads the needed files and runs SYSCLEAN.COM and when subsequently used,
    the utility keeps the files updated.

    Direct URL --
    http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Sysclean_FE.exe

    Execute; SYSCLEAN_FE.EXE
    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; c:\sysclean\SYSCLEAN_FE.BAT
    { or Double-click on 'SYSCLEAN_FE Link' in c:\sysclean }

    There is a PDF Help File included.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    ###################################################################################################
    Panda Titanium Antivirus 2005 warning:

    The file Re: BTNHND.EXE was potentially dangerous and was deleted.
    ###################################################################################################

    ###################################################################################################
    Panda Titanium Antivirus 2005 warning:

    The file Re: BTNHND.EXE was potentially dangerous and was deleted.
    ###################################################################################################

    Thanks for the update Dave. As you saw, I only copied Noel's notes in an
    effort to alert Ed to the possible (probable?) issues with this file. Let's
    just hope he is able to 'bottom' it with your help and comes back with a
    positive follow-up.

    Mart

    From: "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam>

    | Thanks for the update Dave. As you saw, I only copied Noel's notes in an
    | effort to alert Ed to the possible (probable?) issues with this file. Let's
    | just hope he is able to 'bottom' it with your help and comes back with a
    | positive follow-up.
    |
    | Mart

    I truly hate seeing people infected with malware. it has become a pandemic problem.

    I would like to see Ed get things cleaned up.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Google points that file to some Fujitsu software.

    Are you running any?

    If true, uninstall it and reinstall.

    Zee

    "ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have recently started getting error msgs when using Excel, Word and
    other
    > 3rd party applications with Windows ME. eg: "BTNHND has caused an invalid
    > page fault in module BTNHND.EXE at 0197.0040116b." Sometimes I can close
    the
    > application and restart, sometimes the whole screen freezes. This is
    > happenning very often now.

    Mart, Dave, oops, Bart. Thank you very much for your feedback.
    Oops you mentioned about Fujitsu, actually I am using a Fujitsu notebook
    which obviously comes with alot of its own software, so not sure what to do
    with this one. My Norton A/V has not picked up anything. Anyway I plan to
    follow Dave's Sysclean advice, wait a couple days, then follow Mart/Noel's
    Stinger/CWShredder advice. Do you think thats the right way to go? Thank
    you all for the help. Ed

    Ed,

    Better safe than sorry!

    Fujitsu LifeBook, does it ring a bell?

    Zee

    From: "ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | Mart, Dave, oops, Bart. Thank you very much for your feedback.
    | Oops you mentioned about Fujitsu, actually I am using a Fujitsu notebook
    | which obviously comes with alot of its own software, so not sure what to do
    | with this one. My Norton A/V has not picked up anything. Anyway I plan to
    | follow Dave's Sysclean advice, wait a couple days, then follow Mart/Noel's
    | Stinger/CWShredder advice. Do you think thats the right way to go? Thank
    | you all for the help. Ed

    Please submit "BTNHND.EXE" file is to Virus Total --
    http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html
    The submission will then be tested against i8 different AV vendor's scanners.

    Another way to submit is to send the suspect file to the following email address
    scan<at>virustotal.com
    { replace <at> with @ } with only the word SCAN as the subject.

    Please post back the EXACT results. Then we'll know if is a Fujitsu utility or an infector.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Agreed!!

    In the meantime, Ed, what are the 'Properties' of your BTNHND.EXE file?
    Does it mention Fujitsu, or are there any indications of its 'pedigree'?

    Mart

    "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    > Ed,
    >
    > Better safe than sorry!
    >
    > Fujitsu LifeBook, does it ring a bell?
    >
    > Zee
    >

    > "ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Mart, Dave, oops, Bart. Thank you very much for your feedback.
    >> Oops you mentioned about Fujitsu, actually I am using a Fujitsu notebook
    >> which obviously comes with alot of its own software, so not sure what to
    > do
    >> with this one. My Norton A/V has not picked up anything. Anyway I plan
    >> follow Dave's Sysclean advice, wait a couple days, then follow
    >> Mart/Noel's
    >> Stinger/CWShredder advice. Do you think thats the right way to go?
    >> Thank
    >> you all for the help. Ed

    For info, I have been using this Fujitsu Lifebook for about 3 years, but this
    problem only started occuring about a month ago. When I search for files and
    folders, I get:
    4 files (BtnHnd,BtnHnd.dll, BtnHnd.sys, BtnHnd.vxd) in folder C:\Program
    Files\Fujitsu\BtnHnd.
    1 file (BTNHND.LGC) in folder C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG.
    There is no .exe file. So which one should I try to submit.
    Thanks Ed

    From: "ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | For info, I have been using this Fujitsu Lifebook for about 3 years, but this
    | problem only started occuring about a month ago. When I search for files and
    | folders, I get:
    | 4 files (BtnHnd,BtnHnd.dll, BtnHnd.sys, BtnHnd.vxd) in folder C:\Program
    | Files\Fujitsu\BtnHnd.
    | 1 file (BTNHND.LGC) in folder C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG.
    | There is no .exe file. So which one should I try to submit.
    | Thanks Ed

    I think this is legitimate and just having a problem. Maybe a required DLL is the wrong
    version.

    You may have to reinstall the product or to stop using the product (remove it) to correct
    the problem.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    I would agree with Dave. Odd though, that there appears to be no BtnHnd.exe
    and do wonder if all View File options are set properly in Windows
    Explorer - perhaps the .exe suffix is not visible for the BtnHnd file -
    particularly when the error report mentions the .exe extension. I would also
    suggest that an 'uninstall' (remove), re-boot then 're-install' may be a
    better route than a simple 're-install' i.e. over-install.

    Mart

    > From: "ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >
    > | For info, I have been using this Fujitsu Lifebook for about 3 years, but
    > this
    > | problem only started occuring about a month ago. When I search for
    > files and
    > | folders, I get:
    > | 4 files (BtnHnd,BtnHnd.dll, BtnHnd.sys, BtnHnd.vxd) in folder C:\Program
    > | Files\Fujitsu\BtnHnd.
    > | 1 file (BTNHND.LGC) in folder C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG.
    > | There is no .exe file. So which one should I try to submit.
    > | Thanks Ed
    > |

    > I think this is legitimate and just having a problem. Maybe a required
    > DLL is the wrong
    > version.
    >
    > You may have to reinstall the product or to stop using the product (remove
    > it) to correct
    > the problem.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    "Important: Some malware can camouflage themselves as BtnHnd.exe,
    particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32
    folder. Thus check the BtnHnd.exe process on your pc whether it is pest. We
    recommend Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. "
    http://www.file.net/process/btnhnd.exe.html

    Google searches for variations of "btnhnd" are not very useful. The file is
    known to be associated with the Fujitsu Lifebook, , but little has been
    published about it.
    I think ed needs to research the details of his Fujitsu Lifebook, for which
    there are many models, and explore this issue, including speaking to Fujitsu
    support.

    Ruling out a virus infection of the file/s is critical. The absence of an
    ..exe file may mean that it had already been removed by the AV tool. The
    ..sys, .dll, and .vxd could still be vectors. Hopefully, the file with no
    extension is the BtnHnd folder, not a file.
    I suspect that only Fujitsu will be able to resolve this problem.
    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > I would agree with Dave. Odd though, that there appears to be no
    BtnHnd.exe
    > and do wonder if all View File options are set properly in Windows
    > Explorer - perhaps the .exe suffix is not visible for the BtnHnd file -
    > particularly when the error report mentions the .exe extension. I would
    also
    > suggest that an 'uninstall' (remove), re-boot then 're-install' may be a
    > better route than a simple 're-install' i.e. over-install.
    >
    > Mart

    > > From: "ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > >
    > > | For info, I have been using this Fujitsu Lifebook for about 3 years,
    but
    > > this
    > > | problem only started occuring about a month ago. When I search for
    > > files and
    > > | folders, I get:
    > > | 4 files (BtnHnd,BtnHnd.dll, BtnHnd.sys, BtnHnd.vxd) in folder
    C:\Program
    > > | Files\Fujitsu\BtnHnd.
    > > | 1 file (BTNHND.LGC) in folder C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG.
    > > | There is no .exe file. So which one should I try to submit.
    > > | Thanks Ed
    > > |

    > > I think this is legitimate and just having a problem. Maybe a required
    > > DLL is the wrong
    > > version.
    > >
    > > You may have to reinstall the product or to stop using the product
    (remove
    > > it) to correct
    > > the problem.
    > >
    > > --