Free Firewall......#2

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On cable......dropped dialup 2 years ago. And I have now *lost the plot* as
they say.....have to talk to you later coz we are heading out shopping.

Cheers....Heather

PS....My ISP refused to send this due to *ill-formed something or other in
the headers*......so starting new thread.

"Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:%23aQuF0BYFHA.2884@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> IIRC, you're still on dialup, Figgs? - if so, then you probably don't need
> UPnP.
>
> If you're on DSL, then the modem/router/hub/switch possibly wouldn't work
> without UPnP :)
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>
> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>
> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> news:eNkxEp%23XFHA.3464@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Noel......does this mean I should have it enabled? Speaking of #1 only.
> >
> > All my appliances are ancient and I have to remember to write down "Get
> > More
> > Beer" the old-fashioned way.....LOL!!
> >
> > Anyway.....I have the old USB I think.....the 1.5 one. Just thought I
> > would
> > ask.
> >
> > XX Figgs
17 answers Last reply
More about free firewall
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > PS....My ISP refused to send this due to *ill-formed something or
    > other in the headers*......so starting new thread.

    Not an ISP problem but due to there being more than 1000 characters in the
    Reference header which OE then wrapped and broke. The reason being not
    the number of posts in the thread but the depth of the thread.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com


    Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    > On cable......dropped dialup 2 years ago. And I have now *lost the
    > plot* as they say.....have to talk to you later coz we are heading
    > out shopping.
    >
    > Cheers....Heather
    >
    > PS....My ISP refused to send this due to *ill-formed something or
    > other in the headers*......so starting new thread.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mike M wrote:
    > Rick,
    >
    > OE does in fact say that the reference field is broken or rather that
    > the message id is ill-formed. The user's ISP doesn't come into the
    > equation but rather the nntp host (news server) which rightly rejects
    > the message.
    > The OE error message is as follows:
    > Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'Re: Free
    > Firewall?', Account: 'MS News (Win Me)', Server: 'msnews.microsoft.com',
    > Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441 (629) Article Rejected --
    > Ill-formed message id '<u5#kme9XFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gb' in field
    > 'References:'', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error
    > Number: 0x800CCCA9
    >
    > I'm not sure how other news clients treat the problem of a reference
    > field >1,000 characters but I know it is covered by an RFC but I can't
    > put my hand to it at the moment.

    I'll go looking for it... TBird (which I use) had (extreme) lag problems
    with a > 3k thread; I almost switched back to OE because of it
    (apparently that wouldn'ta done me any good).

    I'm not having any problems with the thread we were in.

    (um... "no server error"? isn't that what Harry's got somewhere 'round
    here?)


    The "References Field" header contains the unique message-id's of it's
    precursors to better enable newsreaders to construct a thread even if
    some of the posts are missing.


    RFC 1036 contains no length information on References Field.

    RFC 977 contains a commandline limit of 512 bytes (but I don't know
    enough about NNTP to say "aha"; I don't think it has anything to do with
    the current problem)

    source code for some random newsreader uses 1024 as max length for all
    fields (I didn't look to see how it handles overflow).

    Another random newsreader suggests 21 as the maximum number of references.

    All this leads me to believe that the common/preferred method of
    handling too many references is to parse them... *not* to send garbage
    to the newsserver.


    Rick
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Thanks.....glad to know it wasn't just my ISP/news agent......odd, there
    have been way longer threads than this, so I don't understand it. But no
    matter.....it has never happened before in some 9 years, so not about to
    worry.

    Mike.....will write you later re printer. Been out all day shopping.....not
    used to that, grin. And chasing down hotels for our trip that starts a lot
    sooner than I realized!! (June 7th) Elayne leaves for Glasgow June 5th.
    Just call us the *Travelling Figberries*. (G)

    Cheers....Heather


    "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    news:%23hYV4LIYFHA.3464@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > > PS....My ISP refused to send this due to *ill-formed something or
    > > other in the headers*......so starting new thread.
    >
    > Not an ISP problem but due to there being more than 1000 characters in the
    > Reference header which OE then wrapped and broke. The reason being not
    > the number of posts in the thread but the depth of the thread.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >
    >
    > Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > On cable......dropped dialup 2 years ago. And I have now *lost the
    > > plot* as they say.....have to talk to you later coz we are heading
    > > out shopping.
    > >
    > > Cheers....Heather
    > >
    > > PS....My ISP refused to send this due to *ill-formed something or
    > > other in the headers*......so starting new thread.
    >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:eCklPRKYFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Mike M wrote:
    > > Rick,
    > >
    > > OE does in fact say that the reference field is broken or rather that
    > > the message id is ill-formed. The user's ISP doesn't come into the
    > > equation but rather the nntp host (news server) which rightly rejects
    > > the message.
    > > The OE error message is as follows:
    > > Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'Re: Free
    > > Firewall?', Account: 'MS News (Win Me)', Server: 'msnews.microsoft.com',
    > > Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441 (629) Article Rejected --
    > > Ill-formed message id '<u5#kme9XFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gb' in field
    > > 'References:'', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error
    > > Number: 0x800CCCA9
    > >
    > > I'm not sure how other news clients treat the problem of a reference
    > > field >1,000 characters but I know it is covered by an RFC but I can't
    > > put my hand to it at the moment.
    >
    > I'll go looking for it... TBird (which I use) had (extreme) lag problems
    > with a > 3k thread; I almost switched back to OE because of it
    > (apparently that wouldn'ta done me any good).
    >
    > I'm not having any problems with the thread we were in.
    >
    > (um... "no server error"? isn't that what Harry's got somewhere 'round
    > here?)
    >
    > >>That's what I thought exactly, when I red these threads, Rick, only my
    port # was 119 and the error # 0x800CCC0F. I created a new identity, as was
    recommended to me.
    Hope this will clear things up.

    Harry.
    >
    >
    > The "References Field" header contains the unique message-id's of it's
    > precursors to better enable newsreaders to construct a thread even if
    > some of the posts are missing.
    >
    >
    > RFC 1036 contains no length information on References Field.
    >
    > RFC 977 contains a commandline limit of 512 bytes (but I don't know
    > enough about NNTP to say "aha"; I don't think it has anything to do with
    > the current problem)
    >
    > source code for some random newsreader uses 1024 as max length for all
    > fields (I didn't look to see how it handles overflow).
    >
    > Another random newsreader suggests 21 as the maximum number of references.
    >
    > All this leads me to believe that the common/preferred method of
    > handling too many references is to parse them... *not* to send garbage
    > to the newsserver.
    >
    >
    >
    > Rick
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Rick,

    I think the problem could be not just that OE incorrectly wraps the
    reference field at c1,000 characters and in so doing breaks the last
    reference but also that it's possible, but I admit unlikely, that the RFC
    doesn't specifically specify what should be done. Personally it would
    help if OE simply truncated the field at the last complete reference which
    whilst leading to some odd message threading would at least prevent the
    error that we see in long threads such as 'Free Firewall?' in this NG.
    --
    Mike M


    Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    > I'll go looking for it... TBird (which I use) had (extreme) lag
    > problems with a > 3k thread; I almost switched back to OE because of
    > it (apparently that wouldn'ta done me any good).
    >
    > I'm not having any problems with the thread we were in.
    >
    > (um... "no server error"? isn't that what Harry's got somewhere 'round
    > here?)
    >
    >
    >
    > The "References Field" header contains the unique message-id's of it's
    > precursors to better enable newsreaders to construct a thread even if
    > some of the posts are missing.
    >
    >
    > RFC 1036 contains no length information on References Field.
    >
    > RFC 977 contains a commandline limit of 512 bytes (but I don't know
    > enough about NNTP to say "aha"; I don't think it has anything to do
    > with the current problem)
    >
    > source code for some random newsreader uses 1024 as max length for all
    > fields (I didn't look to see how it handles overflow).
    >
    > Another random newsreader suggests 21 as the maximum number of
    > references.
    > All this leads me to believe that the common/preferred method of
    > handling too many references is to parse them... *not* to send garbage
    > to the newsserver.
    >
    >
    >
    > Rick
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mike M wrote:
    > Rick,
    >
    > I think the problem could be not just that OE incorrectly wraps the
    > reference field at c1,000 characters and in so doing breaks the last
    > reference but also that it's possible, but I admit unlikely, that the
    > RFC doesn't specifically specify what should be done. Personally it
    > would help if OE simply truncated the field at the last complete
    > reference which whilst leading to some odd message threading would at
    > least prevent the error that we see in long threads such as 'Free
    > Firewall?' in this NG.

    TBird includes an RFC822 field, In-Reply-To, which contains the
    Message-ID of the immediate parent of the post (which is of course also
    the last message-id in the References field).

    RFC822 (the original Usenet RFC which 1036 adds to) also does not give a
    maximum field length but does give instructions on how to handle large
    fields.

    RFC 1036(2.2.5):

    It is permissible to not include the entire previous "References"
    line if it is too long. An attempt should be made to include a
    reasonable number of backwards references.


    Rick
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Heather,

    It's not the length but the breath. :-) In other words how deep the
    threads go rather than the number of posts.

    I still haven't set up the R200 on my Win Me box but will try to do so
    later (haven't been much better than 70% recently - still got the remains
    of that flu from February!)
    --
    Mike


    Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    > Thanks.....glad to know it wasn't just my ISP/news agent......odd,
    > there have been way longer threads than this, so I don't understand
    > it. But no matter.....it has never happened before in some 9 years,
    > so not about to worry.
    >
    > Mike.....will write you later re printer. Been out all day
    > shopping.....not used to that, grin. And chasing down hotels for our
    > trip that starts a lot sooner than I realized!! (June 7th) Elayne
    > leaves for Glasgow June 5th. Just call us the *Travelling
    > Figberries*. (G)
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Thanks Rick,

    > RFC 1036(2.2.5):
    >
    > It is permissible to not include the entire previous "References"
    > line if it is too long. An attempt should be made to include a
    > reasonable number of backwards references.

    That would probably be my approach too if I was writing the code. Keep
    the reference field to a single line and truncate/remove the references
    starting from the oldest (left most).

    This is one of a long list of well documented and long standing errors in
    Outlook Express which will probably never be fixed or if fixed in whatever
    is included in Longhorn may never see the light of day in legacy systems
    such as anything in use today.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com


    Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    > TBird includes an RFC822 field, In-Reply-To, which contains the
    > Message-ID of the immediate parent of the post (which is of course
    > also the last message-id in the References field).
    >
    > RFC822 (the original Usenet RFC which 1036 adds to) also does not
    > give a maximum field length but does give instructions on how to
    > handle large fields.
    >
    > RFC 1036(2.2.5):
    >
    > It is permissible to not include the entire previous "References"
    > line if it is too long. An attempt should be made to include a
    > reasonable number of backwards references.
    >
    >
    > Rick
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Hi Mike......

    Or is it the 'breadth'?? Never mind, lol. I wouldn't understand it
    anyway!!

    As for the R200, it still gives me that spooling error from time to time and
    when it does, there is no icon in the tray to check stuff and there are two
    identical listings for the printer in the Task Manager.

    Busy getting ready for our holiday, but will keep an eye out.....don't worry
    about it and get back to 100% fast......those are "orders"!! (G)

    Elayne has now got time to get ready for the UK......school is out and she
    can relax. She runs the print shop for all of their reports and stuff.
    Binding, plotting, copying, etc. Bob is picking her up at the Glasgow
    airport and she leaves from Manchester.....side trip to Chester planned to
    meet that guy with the good legs and blonde hair.....LOL!!

    Best.....Heather
    "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    news:e%23p6f6QYFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > Heather,
    >
    > It's not the length but the breath. :-) In other words how deep the
    > threads go rather than the number of posts.
    >
    > I still haven't set up the R200 on my Win Me box but will try to do so
    > later (haven't been much better than 70% recently - still got the remains
    > of that flu from February!)
    > --
    > Mike
    >
    >
    > Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks.....glad to know it wasn't just my ISP/news agent......odd,
    > > there have been way longer threads than this, so I don't understand
    > > it. But no matter.....it has never happened before in some 9 years,
    > > so not about to worry.
    > >
    > > Mike.....will write you later re printer. Been out all day
    > > shopping.....not used to that, grin. And chasing down hotels for our
    > > trip that starts a lot sooner than I realized!! (June 7th) Elayne
    > > leaves for Glasgow June 5th. Just call us the *Travelling
    > > Figberries*. (G)
    >
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Breadth of course, breath is what I'm short of permanently.

    Still haven't managed to get round to installing the R200 on my Win Me box
    and won't now until at least tomorrow as Bec is here and using that box as
    well as another running XP and switching between the two at will.
    Shouldn't take me long once I get round to it - I've just got to dig out
    the printer as I don't have it setup/connected permanently just getting it
    out and connecting it to an XP box when I want to print some CDs.

    I hope Elayne enjoys her trip, not sure though about the side trip to
    north Wales. <g>
    --
    Mike


    Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    > Hi Mike......
    >
    > Or is it the 'breadth'?? Never mind, lol. I wouldn't understand it
    > anyway!!
    >
    > As for the R200, it still gives me that spooling error from time to
    > time and when it does, there is no icon in the tray to check stuff
    > and there are two identical listings for the printer in the Task
    > Manager.
    >
    > Busy getting ready for our holiday, but will keep an eye
    > out.....don't worry about it and get back to 100% fast......those are
    > "orders"!! (G)
    >
    > Elayne has now got time to get ready for the UK......school is out
    > and she can relax. She runs the print shop for all of their reports
    > and stuff. Binding, plotting, copying, etc. Bob is picking her up at
    > the Glasgow airport and she leaves from Manchester.....side trip to
    > Chester planned to meet that guy with the good legs and blonde
    > hair.....LOL!!
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <lol> Wonder if she takes after her Mother <vbg>
    Joan

    Mike M wrote:
    >
    > I hope Elayne enjoys her trip, not sure though about the side trip to
    > north Wales. <g>
    >
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <lol> I hope you've warned him <g>
    Joan


    Heather wrote:
    .....side trip to
    > Chester planned to meet that guy with the good legs and blonde
    > hair.....LOL!!
    >
    > Best.....Heather
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Actually, I have warned "her"......to watch out for Wild Welshmen of
    Scottish extraction. (G)

    Actually, they do have something in common.....changing their hair colour,
    perhaps. (snicker) But she paints and he is a paint chemist.....that's a
    stretch, but it will have to do!

    Heather 8-))

    "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    news:ORjQb2VYFHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > <lol> I hope you've warned him <g>
    > Joan
    >
    >
    > Heather wrote:
    > ....side trip to
    > > Chester planned to meet that guy with the good legs and blonde
    > > hair.....LOL!!
    > >
    > > Best.....Heather
    >
    >
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Consider me warned - and taking suitable precautions..... (air-raid shelter
    sorted, flak-jacket arranged, French/Spanish/English dictionary organised,
    etc.......)
    Now all I need is 'The Phantom Menace'<g>


    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

    "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    news:ORjQb2VYFHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > <lol> I hope you've warned him <g>
    > Joan
    >
    >
    > Heather wrote:
    > ....side trip to
    >> Chester planned to meet that guy with the good legs and blonde
    >> hair.....LOL!!
    >>
    >> Best.....Heather
    >
    >
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Stretch? Moi??
    Hey - I can paint with the best of them... there's Fred, and George (and
    Lynda - but we don't talk about her....), not to mention Aloysius and Gareth
    (nice boys, both of them<g>)......

    Ummm - maybe I should quit while the getting's good?
    <g>

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    news:uu8aBCWYFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Actually, I have warned "her"......to watch out for Wild Welshmen of
    > Scottish extraction. (G)
    >
    > Actually, they do have something in common.....changing their hair colour,
    > perhaps. (snicker) But she paints and he is a paint chemist.....that's a
    > stretch, but it will have to do!
    >
    > Heather 8-))
    >
    > "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > news:ORjQb2VYFHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >> <lol> I hope you've warned him <g>
    >> Joan
    >>
    >>
    >> Heather wrote:
    >> ....side trip to
    >> > Chester planned to meet that guy with the good legs and blonde
    >> > hair.....LOL!!
    >> >
    >> > Best.....Heather
    >>
    >>
    >
    >
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    ROFL
    Joan


    Noel Paton wrote:
    > Consider me warned - and taking suitable precautions..... (air-raid
    > shelter sorted, flak-jacket arranged, French/Spanish/English
    > dictionary organised, etc.......)
    > Now all I need is 'The Phantom Menace'<g>
    >
    >
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Think you better do that (quit, etc.)....lol. Been busy with a friend over
    for dinner and had too much white wine......screen looks blurry!!

    Lordy....the time is going by fast.....not long before the Mouse departs for
    Glasgow. And 2 days later, we are off. Tomorrow I will book the rest of it
    and also a fab restaurant called *Chez Piggy* for our *%^&
    anniversary.....it was owned by one of the Lovin' Spoonful guys......rather
    elite, to say the least.

    It's so nice to have a babysitter for my young 'un over there......(G)

    Night.......Figgs

    "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    news:O$vLXbWYFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Stretch? Moi??
    > Hey - I can paint with the best of them... there's Fred, and George (and
    > Lynda - but we don't talk about her....), not to mention Aloysius and
    Gareth
    > (nice boys, both of them<g>)......
    >
    > Ummm - maybe I should quit while the getting's good?
    > <g>
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >
    > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >
    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > news:uu8aBCWYFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > > Actually, I have warned "her"......to watch out for Wild Welshmen of
    > > Scottish extraction. (G)
    > >
    > > Actually, they do have something in common.....changing their hair
    colour,
    > > perhaps. (snicker) But she paints and he is a paint chemist.....that's
    a
    > > stretch, but it will have to do!
    > >
    > > Heather 8-))
    > >
    > > "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > news:ORjQb2VYFHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > >> <lol> I hope you've warned him <g>
    > >> Joan
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> Heather wrote:
    > >> ....side trip to
    > >> > Chester planned to meet that guy with the good legs and blonde
    > >> > hair.....LOL!!
    > >> >
    > >> > Best.....Heather
    > >>
    > >>
    > >
    > >
    >
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Internet Service Providers Windows