Connection problems

clb

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2005

Can anyone help? I have a brand new win XP service pack 2 PC and am trying to
install wireless networking. My wireless router (Speedtouch 580 configured by
Demon Internet) is working fine with the ethernet cable and the drivers for
the 120g adapters have also loaded correctly. My problem (and all the techs
I've spoken to) revolves around trying to get the wirelss adapters to talk to
the router. Any ideas?

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Do you have the wireless access turned on?

Are you using any wireless security?

Can you see the network? Are you using the configuration utility for the
adapter or the Windows configuration utility?

Clark

"CLB" <CLB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help? I have a brand new win XP service pack 2 PC and am trying
> install wireless networking. My wireless router (Speedtouch 580 configured
> by
> Demon Internet) is working fine with the ethernet cable and the drivers
> for
> the 120g adapters have also loaded correctly. My problem (and all the
> techs
> I've spoken to) revolves around trying to get the wirelss adapters to talk
> the router. Any ideas?

clb

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2005

I'm pretty sure that wireless access is on, as I have had momenetary
connection this evening. I been through Win XPs set up programmes several
times, I have tried to let Win XP find a driver for the wireless adapter, I
have removed and reloaded the software at least 20 times. I feel there is
sometimes progress in that Windows sometimes recognises the router, but still
there is no proper connection.

You ask about wireless security; I have tried with it on and off and with
Norton Internet Security on and off.

I can see the icon for the wireless adapter in the control panel and the
wireless adapater is stated as working normally in the device manager.

I'm not certain about the windows configuration utility, as the router came
pre-configured, but the tech people have taken me through several
reconfigurations of the router (and the replacement that was sent to me as it
was thought the networking part of the first one was faulty).

I keep thinking there must be a simple thing that everyone has missed, as if
the devices are working, it's as though I need to tell windows to join the
two together. I'm not very tech orientated, but seem to be 'getting there'. I
hope you can help some more.

"Clark" wrote:

> Do you have the wireless access turned on?
>
> Are you using any wireless security?
>
> Can you see the network? Are you using the configuration utility for the
> adapter or the Windows configuration utility?
>
> Clark
>
> "CLB" <CLB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone help? I have a brand new win XP service pack 2 PC and am trying
> > install wireless networking. My wireless router (Speedtouch 580 configured
> > by
> > Demon Internet) is working fine with the ethernet cable and the drivers
> > for
> > the 120g adapters have also loaded correctly. My problem (and all the
> > techs
> > I've spoken to) revolves around trying to get the wirelss adapters to talk
> > the router. Any ideas?

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Do you see the network from the wireless adapter?

Check the Device Manager and make sure drivers are loaded. Sometimes there
are little notes that qualify how things are working that say driver is not
necessary or something like that.

Can you ping the router?

Remember this can be very confusing because changes you make may not take
effect until later.

> [...]

> "Clark" wrote:
>
>> Do you have the wireless access turned on?
>>
>> Are you using any wireless security?
>>
>> Can you see the network? Are you using the configuration utility for the
>> adapter or the Windows configuration utility?
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "CLB" <CLB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Can anyone help? I have a brand new win XP service pack 2 PC and am
>> > trying
>> > install wireless networking. My wireless router (Speedtouch 580
>> > configured
>> > by
>> > Demon Internet) is working fine with the ethernet cable and the drivers
>> > for
>> > the 120g adapters have also loaded correctly. My problem (and all the
>> > techs
>> > I've spoken to) revolves around trying to get the wirelss adapters to

clb

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2005

Hello Clark, thank you for trying to help.

On point one, I can see the network adapter in the Network connections
window when it is attached to the PC - this is what you mean isn't it?

On point two; I have checked Device Manager and the device is working
properly and there are no messages about the drivers.

I have tried to ping the router, but I get 'Media Disconnected' on the
wireless networking connection.

On your last point about changes taking place later - I have not heard about
this before so will keep it in mind, but have been trying for two days to
install the wirless part of my network. I had momentary contact last night
and the day before (with the first router), but it doesn't last long enough
to get a web page up. Any further ideas?

"Clark" wrote:

> Do you see the network from the wireless adapter?
>
> Check the Device Manager and make sure drivers are loaded. Sometimes there
> are little notes that qualify how things are working that say driver is not
> necessary or something like that.
>
> Can you ping the router?
>
> Remember this can be very confusing because changes you make may not take
> effect until later.
>
> Clark
>
> "CLB" <CLB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm pretty sure that wireless access is on, as I have had momenetary
> > connection this evening. I been through Win XPs set up programmes several
> > times, I have tried to let Win XP find a driver for the wireless adapter,
> > have removed and reloaded the software at least 20 times. I feel there is
> > sometimes progress in that Windows sometimes recognises the router, but
> > still
> > there is no proper connection.
> >
> > You ask about wireless security; I have tried with it on and off and with
> > Norton Internet Security on and off.
> >
> > I can see the icon for the wireless adapter in the control panel and the
> > wireless adapater is stated as working normally in the device manager.
> >
> > I'm not certain about the windows configuration utility, as the router
> > came
> > pre-configured, but the tech people have taken me through several
> > reconfigurations of the router (and the replacement that was sent to me as
> > it
> > was thought the networking part of the first one was faulty).
> >
> > I keep thinking there must be a simple thing that everyone has missed, as
> > if
> > the devices are working, it's as though I need to tell windows to join the
> > two together. I'm not very tech orientated, but seem to be 'getting
> > there'. I
> > hope you can help some more.
> >
> > "Clark" wrote:
> >
> >> Do you have the wireless access turned on?
> >>
> >> Are you using any wireless security?
> >>
> >> Can you see the network? Are you using the configuration utility for the
> >> adapter or the Windows configuration utility?
> >>
> >> Clark
> >>
> >> "CLB" <CLB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

What I mean by "can you see the network" is scanning and seeing other
wireless networks. You should be able to see at least yours if you have
SSID broadcasting enabled. You may be able to see yours without the SSID
broadcast but it will show a blank where the SSID name should be.

Are the lights on the adapter blinking?

I had that problem when I was moving my stuff around, so what I would
suggest would be to update the drivers. You might want to uninstall and
reinstall the device in device manager. Make sure the connection is enabled
and you are sitting close enough to the transmitter to ensure good signal
strength.

Turn off all security on both the wireless adapter and the router. Reboot,
reset the router, and anything else you can think of.

These things can be very frustrating, but just keep trying. Remeber some
settings may not take effect immediately.

> [...]
>> >
>> > I can see the icon for the wireless adapter in the control panel and
>> > the
>> > wireless adapater is stated as working normally in the device manager.
>> >
>> > I'm not certain about the windows configuration utility, as the router
>> > came
>> > pre-configured, but the tech people have taken me through several
>> > reconfigurations of the router (and the replacement that was sent to me
>> > as
>> > it
>> > was thought the networking part of the first one was faulty).
>> >
>> > I keep thinking there must be a simple thing that everyone has missed,
>> > as
>> > if
>> > the devices are working, it's as though I need to tell windows to join
>> > the
>> > two together. I'm not very tech orientated, but seem to be 'getting

clb

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2005

Sometimes I can see the SSID network and other times I have to enter it
manually. Tha best time was last night when for a few moments the wireless
adapters found the router. On my attempts this afternoon, after

The lights on the adapter do blink on start up and the adapter name can be
seen under networks in the control panel. The dirver has a program to scan
for connections; when I run this the wireless adapters blibk furiously, but
still cannot find the router.

The router and the wireless adapters are close - about 30cm apart, for ease
of plugging and uplugging. When I got a connection last night, the sigal was
100%.

I I have not tried using device manager to uninstall/reinstall the dirvers
but will try it now.

"Clark" wrote:

> What I mean by "can you see the network" is scanning and seeing other
> wireless networks. You should be able to see at least yours if you have
> SSID broadcasting enabled. You may be able to see yours without the SSID
> broadcast but it will show a blank where the SSID name should be.
>
> Are the lights on the adapter blinking?
>
> I had that problem when I was moving my stuff around, so what I would
> suggest would be to update the drivers. You might want to uninstall and
> reinstall the device in device manager. Make sure the connection is enabled
> and you are sitting close enough to the transmitter to ensure good signal
> strength.
>
> Turn off all security on both the wireless adapter and the router. Reboot,
> reset the router, and anything else you can think of.
>
> These things can be very frustrating, but just keep trying. Remeber some
> settings may not take effect immediately.
>
> Clark
>
> "CLB" <CLB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Clark, thank you for trying to help.
> >
> > On point one, I can see the network adapter in the Network connections
> > window when it is attached to the PC - this is what you mean isn't it?
> >
> > On point two; I have checked Device Manager and the device is working
> > properly and there are no messages about the drivers.
> >
> > I have tried to ping the router, but I get 'Media Disconnected' on the
> > wireless networking connection.
> >
> > On your last point about changes taking place later - I have not heard
> > about
> > this before so will keep it in mind, but have been trying for two days to
> > install the wirless part of my network. I had momentary contact last night
> > and the day before (with the first router), but it doesn't last long
> > enough
> > to get a web page up. Any further ideas?
> >

> > "Clark" wrote:
> >
> >> Do you see the network from the wireless adapter?
> >>
> >> Check the Device Manager and make sure drivers are loaded. Sometimes
> >> there
> >> are little notes that qualify how things are working that say driver is
> >> not
> >> necessary or something like that.
> >>
> >> Can you ping the router?
> >>
> >> Remember this can be very confusing because changes you make may not take
> >> effect until later.
> >>
> >> Clark
> >>
> >> "CLB" <CLB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

clb

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2005

Sorry to reply to my own post , but I thought it important to say that after
taking some of the steps outlined, I now have a solid light on my wireless
adapter, which is progress, but still no link with the router.