Multi Boot System

Hi,

I would like to know How I can have a Multi boot system with Dos,ME and Xp
on a single hard disk WITHOUT using additional programs(like Boot Magic or so
on).
Becaue I have a lot of tests on different OS ,it is important to me.

thnax

You won't. You can get WindowsME and WindowsXP to dual-boot, but I don't
believe the XP boot loader will consider MS-DOS to be a valid OS and include
it in a boot menu.

"arian" <arian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know How I can have a Multi boot system with Dos,ME and Xp
> on a single hard disk WITHOUT using additional programs(like Boot Magic or
> so
> on).
> Becaue I have a lot of tests on different OS ,it is important to me.
>
> thnax

I concur with Richard, but if you already have the third-party boot manager,
Partitionquest's Boot Magic, it will allow such multi-booting.

From an old post:

Mult-Boot Configurations

FWIW, I am halfway through "The Multiboot Configuration Handbook",
Roderick W. Smith, Que, 2000, ISBN 0-7897-2283-6, LCCN 99-068221.

I highly recommend it. Very comprehensive. He describes multibooting
eight OS's from a 2 HD, 6 & 10 GB, generic FIC / Cyrix machine. OS's are
DR-DOS, Win98, Win NT 4.0, OS/2 4.0 Warp, BeOS 4.5, FreeBSD 3.2, SuSE
Linux 6.2, and Debian GNU/Linux 2.1.

I recommend using a third-party boot loader, such as Powerquest's Boot
Magic, which you
already have. Mr. Smith recommends V-Communications' "System Commander"
as the most powerful loader, and states that Boot Magic is very good.
Very few users need all the available features.

This is a good time to review http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm before any
silly mistakes are made requiring a complete wipe and reinstall.

I also recommend reviewing the info at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
to see how a different tool manages partitions and to see the essential
operations.
----

Dual booting

There're a number of good sites on the subject - here are a few links to get
you started

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289283
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306559
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q221061
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q157992
http://aumha.org/kbstrtup.php
http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/software/windows/dual/
http://www.freepctech.com/pc/001/dual_boot_guide.shtml

--
Noel Paton

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> You won't. You can get WindowsME and WindowsXP to dual-boot, but I don't
> believe the XP boot loader will consider MS-DOS to be a valid OS and
include
> it in a boot menu.

> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>

> "arian" <arian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to know How I can have a Multi boot system with Dos,ME and
Xp
> > on a single hard disk WITHOUT using additional programs(like Boot Magic
or
> > so
> > on).
> > Becaue I have a lot of tests on different OS ,it is important to me.
> >
> > thnax

Shane

Jack and Richard,

Since I've always used BootMagic, I haven't tried booting MS-DOS as a stand
alone using XP's boot manager. But what about this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306559?

Shane

> [...]
> >
> > --
> > Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> > * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> > * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "arian" <arian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I would like to know How I can have a Multi boot system with Dos,ME
and
> Xp
> > > on a single hard disk WITHOUT using additional programs(like Boot
Magic
> or
> > > so
> > > on).
> > > Becaue I have a lot of tests on different OS ,it is important to me.

Well ... ain't that interesting! I'm still not 100% sure it works as easily
as they describe without some really fast and fancy partition work. Me, I'd
rather use BootIT Next Generation and be sure that one OS can't stomp all
over another.

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> Noel Paton
>>

>> --
>> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
>> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
>> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
>> ------
>> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>> > You won't. You can get WindowsME and WindowsXP to dual-boot, but I
> don't
>> > believe the XP boot loader will consider MS-DOS to be a valid OS and
>> include
>> > it in a boot menu.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
>> > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
>> > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.

Shane

And BING is also useful if you want more than 4 primaries per disk, of
course. Though I was booting, at one time (using BM), DR-DOS, MS-DOS 6.22,
Wfwg 3.11, Win95OS2 (inc. DOS 7.10), Win98se and NT4.0 simultaneously from
the same volume. Not that it was practical, but each OS ran smoothly enough
during the experiment.

Now I have 7.10 installed to the XP volume. I forget, for the moment,
whether I got that going by starting off installing 98se then removing the
Windows components (beyond Win.com, ifshlp.sys etc), or whether I formatted
the volume, created a Windows folder and added Win.com, then Sys'd it with a
98se boot disk. Either way NTLDR sees it as a Windows installation rather
than a DOS, but I guess that's the consequence of 7.xx only coming with
Windows. And, anyway, I use BM.

I stopped booting DR-DOS 7.03 and MS-DOS 6.22 as I don't see the point,
anymore, in bothering with non-LFN aware OSes. If there is no point -
because MS-DOS 7.xx/8.00 is available (along with other DOS types........but
if you already have 95OS2.x or 98/98se........) - then, as those versions
are recognised as Win 9x, one couldn't boot MS-DOS, ME and XP without a 3rd
party boot manager, anyway.

Shane

> [...]
> >> operations.
> >> ----
> >>
> >> Dual booting
> >>
> >> There're a number of good sites on the subject - here are a few links
> > get
> >> you started
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289283
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306559
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q221061
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q157992
> >> http://aumha.org/kbstrtup.php
> >> http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm
> >> http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/software/windows/dual/
> >> http://www.freepctech.com/pc/001/dual_boot_guide.shtml
> >>
> >> --
> >> Noel Paton
> >>

> >> --
> >> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

I agree with Richard.

The NT loader is known to be fragile.
A third-party boot manager, using separate volumes for each OS is far more
stable.
Such an arrangement is less likely to result in corruption of any
registries.

If the OP is testing programs on several OS's, he/she is unlikely to want
unstable systems complicating the tests.
> [...]
> easily
> > as they describe without some really fast and fancy partition work. Me,
> I'd
> > rather use BootIT Next Generation and be sure that one OS can't stomp
all
> > over another.
> >
> > --
> > Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> > * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> > * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Jack and Richard,
> > >
> > > Since I've always used BootMagic, I haven't tried booting MS-DOS as a
> > > stand
> > > alone using XP's boot manager. But what about this:

<SNIP>

Shane wrote:
> And BING is also useful if you want more than 4 primaries per disk, of
> course.

Four *primaries* ? or four bootable partitions ?

Rick

> Though I was booting, at one time (using BM), DR-DOS, MS-DOS 6.22,
> Wfwg 3.11, Win95OS2 (inc. DOS 7.10), Win98se and NT4.0 simultaneously from
> the same volume. Not that it was practical, but each OS ran smoothly enough
> during the experiment.
>
> Now I have 7.10 installed to the XP volume. I forget, for the moment,
> whether I got that going by starting off installing 98se then removing the
> Windows components (beyond Win.com, ifshlp.sys etc), or whether I formatted
> the volume, created a Windows folder and added Win.com, then Sys'd it with a
> 98se boot disk. Either way NTLDR sees it as a Windows installation rather
> than a DOS, but I guess that's the consequence of 7.xx only coming with
> Windows. And, anyway, I use BM.
>
> I stopped booting DR-DOS 7.03 and MS-DOS 6.22 as I don't see the point,
> anymore, in bothering with non-LFN aware OSes. If there is no point -
> because MS-DOS 7.xx/8.00 is available (along with other DOS types........but
> if you already have 95OS2.x or 98/98se........) - then, as those versions
> are recognised as Win 9x, one couldn't boot MS-DOS, ME and XP without a 3rd
> party boot manager, anyway.
>
> Shane
>

> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>
>>Well ... ain't that interesting! I'm still not 100% sure it works as
>
> easily
>
>>as they describe without some really fast and fancy partition work. Me,
>
> I'd
>
>>rather use BootIT Next Generation and be sure that one OS can't stomp all
>>over another.
>>
>>--
>>Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
>>* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
>>* for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
>>* My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>>* HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>>"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Jack and Richard,
>>>
>>>Since I've always used BootMagic, I haven't tried booting MS-DOS as a
>>>stand
>>>alone using XP's boot manager. But what about this:
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306559?
>>>

>>>Shane
>>>

>>>"Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message

>>>manager,

> are

> Commander"

>>>any

> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

>>>get

>>>don't

>>>and

>>>Magic

> me.

Shane

> I agree with Richard.
>
> The NT loader is known to be fragile.

Well, I remember a lot of messing about in early XP days trying to recover
the boot process, but haven't seen more than a whiff in, literally, years
now. All I have seen - and I reckon this is probably since SP1 (by which I
mean that NTLDR is, perhaps, less fragile these days), is the occasional
message re HAL.DLL (or whatever) being missing, but now that is cured by
rebooting rather than by repairing or re-installing.

> A third-party boot manager, using separate volumes for each OS is far more
> stable.

Indeed. I would never recommend running another Windows version on the same
volume as XP, other than as an experiment.

Or, indeed, on another drive but unhidden!

MS-DOS 7.10, on the other hand.........if dual-booting 7.10 and XP on the
same volume causes problems, I haven't heard of or come across any in maybe
two years of doing so. But the point there is not to have alternative OS's
so much as to have alternative access to the XP volume for maintenance
purposes.

> Such an arrangement is less likely to result in corruption of any
> registries.

Well, I guess it could happen. Installing to differently-named Windows
directories did seem sufficient. Keeping Program Files/Common Files seperate
is more challenging. However, I did write a no. of batches and scripts for
changing the defaults, renaming files etc depending on which OS was being
booted.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I didn't have 95 and 98 on the same
volume. I seem to recall I had, but don't believe it was possible.

It got so complex, with five boot managers - the Win 95 menu would boot
MS-DOS 6.22 as the Previous Version (which in itself took patching). That
gave access to Wfwg 3.11 and DR-DOS.

The NT4.0 boot menu gave access to NT4.0, of course, Win 95, and I also had
NT3.51 on there. BootMagic gave access to the Win 98se partition, the Win ME
partition, the XP (with DOS 7.10), or Linux Mandrake installed on a Logical
Drive.

> If the OP is testing programs on several OS's, he/she is unlikely to want
> unstable systems complicating the tests.

Sure, Jack. I take the position that anyone serious about testing different
OS's, must necessarily know enough to make up their own mind as to the
relative wisdom of how they go about doing it. And that they will,
therefore, appreciate a discussion of the possibilities.

However, as noted, the multi-boot on a single volume scenario was not
practical. Free Space is at a premium from day one when you're dealing with
pre-FAT32 DOS versions (with or without FAT32 drivers) because they have to
be installed on FAT16 and when you're being sensible and using post-FAT 32
DOS versions, they're recognised as Windows 9x. So you can't install MS-DOS,
Win ME, and XP simultaneously, using only NTLDR. You need a 3rd party
solution, and then there's no point in installing to the same volume (other
than 7.10 for maintenance purposes, as a superior companion to an installed
Recovery Console).

Shane

> [...]
> > are recognised as Win 9x, one couldn't boot MS-DOS, ME and XP without a
> 3rd
> > party boot manager, anyway.
> >
> > Shane
> >

> > "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
> > > Well ... ain't that interesting! I'm still not 100% sure it works as
> > easily
> > > as they describe without some really fast and fancy partition work.
Me,
> > I'd
> > > rather use BootIT Next Generation and be sure that one OS can't stomp
> all
> > > over another.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> > > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> > > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.

Shane

> Shane wrote:
> > And BING is also useful if you want more than 4 primaries per disk, of
> > course.
>
> Four *primaries* ? or four bootable partitions ?

Yes, good call.

Shane