Correcting OE Extraction Error

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 26, 2005 1:22:01 AM

Removing IE 6 using Noel Patton program IERadicator. Did not remove OE 5 as
per instructions. First posted my problem on OE5.5 Discussion Group.

Did the extraction and now get a "Error starting program: A required DLL
file SHFOLDER.DLL was not found" when I boot the computer. Should I install
IE6?

Here's the first part of the story if you want to read it.
======================

Did a reinstall of the OS(WinME) on my system and have problems in the email
message transfer.

Used the program suggested in the OE6 Discussion group. It was at
www.oehelp.com/oebackup/default.aspx. I was able to backup the messages, but
could not correctly restore them using that program.

Basically I did the following steps.
- Updated Outlook Express to 6.0. Next time it was started all messages that
were in my email were automatically downloaded. (Had not meant that to
happen.)
- Moved the files in the Inbox to a 'Transfer' folder to prevent them from
being written over.
- Tried "oebackup" to restore without success.
- Did a 'drag and drop' of Inbox.dbx to test it. That was the bad move. Have
received error messages when going into Inbox since then.
- I was successful in doing an import through OE from where the email
folders were saved.

Clicking on the 'Inbox' currently says "Folder Could not be Displayed:
Possible causes Low Disk Space or Low Memory". Trying to receive messages
gets "An unknown error has occurred.........No, Error Number: 0x800C012E".

Tried a reinstall of OE without success.

Sorry this wasn't shorter. Thanks for anything.

Kevin
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 10:50:37 AM

Kevin
There should be no need to remove OE, since if you use the full install of
IE6 to do the reinstall, it will also upgrade OE to OE6.
Which extraction are you talking about?? - the install of IE??

SHFOlder.dll is part of the Shell folder service - you can extract a new
copy of it from the file WIN_14.CAB in the C:\Windows\Options hierarchy
using MSCONFIG - place the new copy in the C:\Windows\System folder.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Kevin22" <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Removing IE 6 using Noel Patton program IERadicator. Did not remove OE 5
> as
> per instructions. First posted my problem on OE5.5 Discussion Group.
>
> Did the extraction and now get a "Error starting program: A required DLL
> file SHFOLDER.DLL was not found" when I boot the computer. Should I
> install
> IE6?
>
> Here's the first part of the story if you want to read it.
> ======================
>
> Did a reinstall of the OS(WinME) on my system and have problems in the
> email
> message transfer.
>
> Used the program suggested in the OE6 Discussion group. It was at
> www.oehelp.com/oebackup/default.aspx. I was able to backup the messages,
> but
> could not correctly restore them using that program.
>
> Basically I did the following steps.
> - Updated Outlook Express to 6.0. Next time it was started all messages
> that
> were in my email were automatically downloaded. (Had not meant that to
> happen.)
> - Moved the files in the Inbox to a 'Transfer' folder to prevent them from
> being written over.
> - Tried "oebackup" to restore without success.
> - Did a 'drag and drop' of Inbox.dbx to test it. That was the bad move.
> Have
> received error messages when going into Inbox since then.
> - I was successful in doing an import through OE from where the email
> folders were saved.
>
> Clicking on the 'Inbox' currently says "Folder Could not be Displayed:
> Possible causes Low Disk Space or Low Memory". Trying to receive messages
> gets "An unknown error has occurred.........No, Error Number: 0x800C012E".
>
> Tried a reinstall of OE without success.
>
> Sorry this wasn't shorter. Thanks for anything.
>
> Kevin

May 26, 2005 2:08:14 PM

Noel, perhaps you should deny being responsible for IEradicator? <vbg>

Shane

> Kevin
> There should be no need to remove OE, since if you use the full install of
> IE6 to do the reinstall, it will also upgrade OE to OE6.
> Which extraction are you talking about?? - the install of IE??
>
> SHFOlder.dll is part of the Shell folder service - you can extract a new
> copy of it from the file WIN_14.CAB in the C:\Windows\Options hierarchy
> using MSCONFIG - place the new copy in the C:\Windows\System folder.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Kevin22" <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Removing IE 6 using Noel Patton program IERadicator. Did not remove OE 5
> > as
> > per instructions. First posted my problem on OE5.5 Discussion Group.
> >
> > Did the extraction and now get a "Error starting program: A required DLL
> > file SHFOLDER.DLL was not found" when I boot the computer. Should I
> > install
> > IE6?
> >
> > Here's the first part of the story if you want to read it.
> > ======================
> >
> > Did a reinstall of the OS(WinME) on my system and have problems in the
> > email
> > message transfer.
> >
> > Used the program suggested in the OE6 Discussion group. It was at
> > www.oehelp.com/oebackup/default.aspx. I was able to backup the messages,
> > but
> > could not correctly restore them using that program.
> >
> > Basically I did the following steps.
> > - Updated Outlook Express to 6.0. Next time it was started all messages
> > that
> > were in my email were automatically downloaded. (Had not meant that to
> > happen.)
> > - Moved the files in the Inbox to a 'Transfer' folder to prevent them
from
> > being written over.
> > - Tried "oebackup" to restore without success.
> > - Did a 'drag and drop' of Inbox.dbx to test it. That was the bad move.
> > Have
> > received error messages when going into Inbox since then.
> > - I was successful in doing an import through OE from where the email
> > folders were saved.
> >
> > Clicking on the 'Inbox' currently says "Folder Could not be Displayed:
> > Possible causes Low Disk Space or Low Memory". Trying to receive
messages
> > gets "An unknown error has occurred.........No, Error Number:
0x800C012E".

> > Tried a reinstall of OE without success.
> >
> > Sorry this wasn't shorter. Thanks for anything.
> >
> > Kevin

May 26, 2005 11:29:25 PM

I thought I did - at least on my website???

--

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 5Ih$JdYFHA.2796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> > happen.)
>> > - Moved the files in the Inbox to a 'Transfer' folder to prevent them
> from
>> > being written over.
>> > - Tried "oebackup" to restore without success.
>> > - Did a 'drag and drop' of Inbox.dbx to test it. That was the bad move.
>> > Have
>> > received error messages when going into Inbox since then.
>> > - I was successful in doing an import through OE from where the email
>> > folders were saved.
>> >
>> > Clicking on the 'Inbox' currently says "Folder Could not be Displayed:
>> > Possible causes Low Disk Space or Low Memory". Trying to receive
> messages
>> > gets "An unknown error has occurred.........No, Error Number:
> 0x800C012E".
>> >
>> > Tried a reinstall of OE without success.
>> >
>> > Sorry this wasn't shorter. Thanks for anything.

May 26, 2005 11:46:12 PM

I've got just eight words for you, Noel..........

Shane

> I thought I did - at least on my website???
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o 5Ih$JdYFHA.2796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Noel, perhaps you should deny being responsible for IEradicator? <vbg>
> >
> > Shane
> >

> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> >> Kevin
> >> There should be no need to remove OE, since if you use the full install
> >> of
> >> IE6 to do the reinstall, it will also upgrade OE to OE6.
> >> Which extraction are you talking about?? - the install of IE??
> >>
> >> SHFOlder.dll is part of the Shell folder service - you can extract a
new
> >> copy of it from the file WIN_14.CAB in the C:\Windows\Options
hierarchy
> >> using MSCONFIG - place the new copy in the C:\Windows\System folder.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >>
> >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >>
> >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

> >> "Kevin22" <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
OE

> > from

Displayed:
> > messages
> > 0x800C012E".

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 12:02:59 AM

That many??

(hmmm - this beats the heck out the Times crossword for puzzles........)

--

news:o dJY1MiYFHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I've got just eight words for you, Noel..........
>

> Shane
>

> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> I thought I did - at least on my website???
>>

>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o 5Ih$JdYFHA.2796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> > Noel, perhaps you should deny being responsible for IEradicator? <vbg>
>> >
>> > Shane
>> >

>> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

> new
> hierarchy

> NG's

> OE

> the

> messages
>> > from
> move.

> Displayed:
>> > messages
>> > 0x800C012E".

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 12:03:00 AM

Noel Paton wrote:
> That many??
>
> (hmmm - this beats the heck out the Times crossword for puzzles........)

"Never put beer in the post, it leaks"
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 12:25:02 AM

ROTFL!!

--

> Noel Paton wrote:
>> That many??
>>
>> (hmmm - this beats the heck out the Times crossword for puzzles........)
>>

> "Never put beer in the post, it leaks"
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 11:44:05 AM

Guess I might be mixing my terms. I was actually removing IE using IERadicator.

Thanks, I was able to put the dll file back. Now my problem is installing
IE6. Got the install from http://www.broomeman.com/support/wsiedown.html
which apparently is a problem. When I start the computer it now takes me to
setup and I eventually get the message "Setup cannot continue becuse files
are missing from the installation directory. Please run Setup again and
choose Resume Setup. This will download the missing files and continue Setup."

Only reason I can think of for the problem is that I selected 2 languages in
the Setup and later backed up and removed those selections when Setup said it
needed to download more from the Internet.

I have tried running Setup with my internet connection up, but it still does
not continue.

I heard I can get an AOL disk and install IE from that. Would that be a
solution?

Thanks for all your help,
Kevin

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> Kevin
> There should be no need to remove OE, since if you use the full install of
> IE6 to do the reinstall, it will also upgrade OE to OE6.
> Which extraction are you talking about?? - the install of IE??
>
> SHFOlder.dll is part of the Shell folder service - you can extract a new
> copy of it from the file WIN_14.CAB in the C:\Windows\Options hierarchy
> using MSCONFIG - place the new copy in the C:\Windows\System folder.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Kevin22" <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Removing IE 6 using Noel Patton program IERadicator. Did not remove OE 5
> > as
> > per instructions. First posted my problem on OE5.5 Discussion Group.
> >
> > Did the extraction and now get a "Error starting program: A required DLL
> > file SHFOLDER.DLL was not found" when I boot the computer. Should I
> > install
> > IE6?
> >
> > Here's the first part of the story if you want to read it.
> > ======================
> >
> > Did a reinstall of the OS(WinME) on my system and have problems in the
> > email
> > message transfer.
> >
> > Used the program suggested in the OE6 Discussion group. It was at
> > www.oehelp.com/oebackup/default.aspx. I was able to backup the messages,
> > but
> > could not correctly restore them using that program.
> >
> > Basically I did the following steps.
> > - Updated Outlook Express to 6.0. Next time it was started all messages
> > that
> > were in my email were automatically downloaded. (Had not meant that to
> > happen.)
> > - Moved the files in the Inbox to a 'Transfer' folder to prevent them from
> > being written over.
> > - Tried "oebackup" to restore without success.
> > - Did a 'drag and drop' of Inbox.dbx to test it. That was the bad move.
> > Have
> > received error messages when going into Inbox since then.
> > - I was successful in doing an import through OE from where the email
> > folders were saved.
> >
> > Clicking on the 'Inbox' currently says "Folder Could not be Displayed:
> > Possible causes Low Disk Space or Low Memory". Trying to receive messages
> > gets "An unknown error has occurred.........No, Error Number: 0x800C012E".
> >
> > Tried a reinstall of OE without success.
> >
> > Sorry this wasn't shorter. Thanks for anything.
> >
> > Kevin

May 27, 2005 3:07:56 PM

> Noel Paton wrote:
> > That many??
> >
> > (hmmm - this beats the heck out the Times crossword for puzzles........)
> >

> "Never put beer in the post, it leaks"

I put a lot of buds in the post and they stank, which I guess means they
leaked. Apparently you could smell them the moment you opened the door to
the postman.

Shane
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 3:49:25 PM

<lol> And that spoilt the surprise <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:

> I put a lot of buds in the post and they stank, which I guess means
> they leaked. Apparently you could smell them the moment you opened
> the door to the postman.
>

> Shane
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 12:57:22 AM

The postman needed a bath then?

--

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Noel Paton wrote:
>> > That many??
>> >
>> > (hmmm - this beats the heck out the Times crossword for
>> > puzzles........)
>> >

>> "Never put beer in the post, it leaks"
>
> I put a lot of buds in the post and they stank, which I guess means they
> leaked. Apparently you could smell them the moment you opened the door to
> the postman.
>

> Shane

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 1:42:40 AM

<lol> At least he couldn't be accused of drinking it <g>
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:
> The postman needed a bath then?

May 28, 2005 4:08:05 AM

Did you ever have an afghan coat? I had a white one - beautiful it was, but
it smelled so strong the cat attacked it as soon as I got it home <well, we
know how they cure those things!>

Imagine an afghan crossed with a skunk.

Shane

news:o jyBKZvYFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> The postman needed a bath then?
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> "Never put beer in the post, it leaks"
> >
> > I put a lot of buds in the post and they stank, which I guess means they
> > leaked. Apparently you could smell them the moment you opened the door
> > the postman.
> >

> > Shane

May 28, 2005 4:08:55 AM

The bath?

Shane

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:o vF2eyvYFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> <lol> At least he couldn't be accused of drinking it <g>
> Joan
>

> Noel Paton wrote:
> > The postman needed a bath then?

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 2:34:39 PM

<lol> I'd rather not <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:
> Imagine an afghan crossed with a skunk.
>

> Shane
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 2:35:45 PM

<lol> No the bud you fool <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:
> The bath?
>

> Shane
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 2:39:59 PM

The AOL8 CD has the MS IE6 installation file at
AOL8/Browsers/MSIE/MSIE6ME.exe. Similar files for Win2K and Win98 are
there, too.
I suspect the newer AOL9 disk is similar, but I do not have one at hand now.
Hopefully, it has IE6 SP1 files already.

Once it is installed properly, create a SR checkpoint, and proceed to Win
Updates to get the necessary IE6 patches.
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> [...]
> > > - Moved the files in the Inbox to a 'Transfer' folder to prevent them
from
> > > being written over.
> > > - Tried "oebackup" to restore without success.
> > > - Did a 'drag and drop' of Inbox.dbx to test it. That was the bad
move.
> > > Have
> > > received error messages when going into Inbox since then.
> > > - I was successful in doing an import through OE from where the email
> > > folders were saved.
> > >
> > > Clicking on the 'Inbox' currently says "Folder Could not be Displayed:
> > > Possible causes Low Disk Space or Low Memory". Trying to receive
messages
> > > gets "An unknown error has occurred.........No, Error Number:
0x800C012E".

> > > Tried a reinstall of OE without success.
> > >
> > > Sorry this wasn't shorter. Thanks for anything.

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 2:40:00 PM

Did the download of IE6setup.exe from the web
page(http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/) to a thumb drive then tried to
install from that on to the computer with the setup problem.

Having the same problem. Still says there are files missing from the
installation directory.

Could there be a problem in the steps I'm taking?

Thanks,
Kevin

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I have tried running Setup with my internet connection up, but it still
> does
> > not continue.
> >
> > I heard I can get an AOL disk and install IE from that. Would that be a
> > solution?
> >
> > Thanks for all your help,
> > Kevin
> >

> > "Noel Paton" wrote:
> >
> > > Kevin
> > > There should be no need to remove OE, since if you use the full install
> of
> > > IE6 to do the reinstall, it will also upgrade OE to OE6.
> > > Which extraction are you talking about?? - the install of IE??
> > >
> > > SHFOlder.dll is part of the Shell folder service - you can extract a new
> > > copy of it from the file WIN_14.CAB in the C:\Windows\Options hierarchy
> > > using MSCONFIG - place the new copy in the C:\Windows\System folder.

May 28, 2005 4:52:21 PM

So how's your foot these days, Joanie B? I'm on anti-biotics with an
ingrowing toenail. Apparently I'm not the surgeon I thought I was!

> <lol> No the bud you fool <g>
> Joan
>

> Shane wrote:
> > The bath?
> >

> > Shane

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 9:03:30 PM

The AOL 9 install is not so much fun - IE is well-imbedded in the files on
the CD (at least here in the UK)

--

> [...]
> does
>> not continue.
>>
>> I heard I can get an AOL disk and install IE from that. Would that be a
>> solution?
>>
>> Thanks for all your help,
>> Kevin
>>

>> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>>
>> > Kevin
>> > There should be no need to remove OE, since if you use the full install
> of
>> > IE6 to do the reinstall, it will also upgrade OE to OE6.
>> > Which extraction are you talking about?? - the install of IE??
>> >
>> > SHFOlder.dll is part of the Shell folder service - you can extract a
>> > new
>> > copy of it from the file WIN_14.CAB in the C:\Windows\Options
>> > hierarchy
>> > using MSCONFIG - place the new copy in the C:\Windows\System folder.

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 9:10:44 PM

No problems at all these days, <g> just the back with the problems but
that's being sorted out with the chiroprator and doing very well.
Hope your toe gets better, Kelly had that problem and had to have it taken
off twice (the nail not the toe) the last time for good hopefully <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:
> So how's your foot these days, Joanie B? I'm on anti-biotics with an
> ingrowing toenail. Apparently I'm not the surgeon I thought I was!
>

> Shane
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 9:25:05 PM

Was finally able to do the installation of IE6 from an AOL CD.

Next step was to go to 'Windows Update' to get all critical updates. In
trying to install of SP1 I chose a Custom installation and I am back at the
error message "Setup cannot continue because files are missing from the
installation directory. Please run Setup again and choose Resume Setup. This
will download the missing files and continue." I do that and it puts me in a
loop.

I know I am getting to Windows Update through the Internet. Is there a
problem with this directory at Microsoft?

Thanks again,
Kevin

"Kevin22" wrote:

> Did the download of IE6setup.exe from the web
> page(http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/) to a thumb drive then tried to
> install from that on to the computer with the setup problem.
>
> Having the same problem. Still says there are files missing from the
> installation directory.
>
> Could there be a problem in the steps I'm taking?
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
>
> > The AOL8 CD has the MS IE6 installation file at
> > AOL8/Browsers/MSIE/MSIE6ME.exe. Similar files for Win2K and Win98 are
> > there, too.
> > I suspect the newer AOL9 disk is similar, but I do not have one at hand now.
> > Hopefully, it has IE6 SP1 files already.
> >
> > Once it is installed properly, create a SR checkpoint, and proceed to Win
> > Updates to get the necessary IE6 patches.
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "Kevin22" <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Guess I might be mixing my terms. I was actually removing IE using
> > IERadicator.
> > >
> > > Thanks, I was able to put the dll file back. Now my problem is installing
> > > IE6. Got the install from http://www.broomeman.com/support/wsiedown.html
> > > which apparently is a problem. When I start the computer it now takes me
> > > setup and I eventually get the message "Setup cannot continue becuse files
> > > are missing from the installation directory. Please run Setup again and
> > > choose Resume Setup. This will download the missing files and continue
> > Setup."
> > >
> > > Only reason I can think of for the problem is that I selected 2 languages
> > in
> > > the Setup and later backed up and removed those selections when Setup said
> > it
> > > needed to download more from the Internet.
> > >
> > > I have tried running Setup with my internet connection up, but it still
> > does
> > > not continue.
> > >
> > > I heard I can get an AOL disk and install IE from that. Would that be a
> > > solution?
> > >
> > > Thanks for all your help,
> > > Kevin

> > of

> > NG's

> > 5

> > DLL

> > messages,

> > messages
> > from
> > move.

> > messages
> > 0x800C012E".

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 9:28:32 PM

Another thought now I know why you had to post the bud you couldn't drink
it because you're on antibiotics <vbg>
Joan

Shane wrote:
> So how's your foot these days, Joanie B? I'm on anti-biotics with an
> ingrowing toenail. Apparently I'm not the surgeon I thought I was!
>

> Shane
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 5:35:30 AM

> I know I am getting to Windows Update through the Internet. Is there a
> problem with this directory at Microsoft?

No, which would suggest that something in your system might be blocking
access to the site during the install such as maybe an incorrectly
configured firewall or having a product from Symantec such as NAV running
during the upgrade.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Kevin22 <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Was finally able to do the installation of IE6 from an AOL CD.
>
> Next step was to go to 'Windows Update' to get all critical updates.
> In trying to install of SP1 I chose a Custom installation and I am
> back at the error message "Setup cannot continue because files are
> missing from the installation directory. Please run Setup again and
> choose Resume Setup. This will download the missing files and
> continue." I do that and it puts me in a loop.
>
> I know I am getting to Windows Update through the Internet. Is there a
> problem with this directory at Microsoft?
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 5:35:31 AM

The funny thing is I did one of the other updates and it succesfully
installed. When I went to history of Updates the IE6-SP1 was in there 8 times
as successful.

Running ZoneAlarm and McAfee VirusScan. I actually disabled them both to see
if the setup for IE6-SP1 would go through. It didn't. Any other way to test
this? Not sure what else to change.

Thanks,
Kevin

"Mike M" wrote:

> > I know I am getting to Windows Update through the Internet. Is there a
> > problem with this directory at Microsoft?
>
> No, which would suggest that something in your system might be blocking
> access to the site during the install such as maybe an incorrectly
> configured firewall or having a product from Symantec such as NAV running
> during the upgrade.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Kevin22 <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Was finally able to do the installation of IE6 from an AOL CD.
> >
> > Next step was to go to 'Windows Update' to get all critical updates.
> > In trying to install of SP1 I chose a Custom installation and I am
> > back at the error message "Setup cannot continue because files are
> > missing from the installation directory. Please run Setup again and
> > choose Resume Setup. This will download the missing files and
> > continue." I do that and it puts me in a loop.
> >
> > I know I am getting to Windows Update through the Internet. Is there a
> > problem with this directory at Microsoft?

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 7:33:21 AM

Kevin22 <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> The funny thing is I did one of the other updates and it successfully
> installed. When I went to history of Updates the IE6-SP1 was in there
> 8 times as successful.

Not funny at all. This simply indicates that you have downloaded the IE6
SP1 setup.exe file 8 times - not that you have then run it and installed
IE6 SP1.

> Running ZoneAlarm and McAfee VirusScan. I actually disabled them both
> to see if the setup for IE6-SP1 would go through. It didn't. Any
> other way to test this? Not sure what else to change.

Make sure you aren't blocking IE6's setup.exe from accessing the internet.
There should be no need to exit ZA but instead all that's necessary is to
authorise setup to access the net.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Looked around ZoneAlarm and cannot see how I am blocking the Update. I can
see how I can authorize a specific program to have access. I just don't know
which one to authorize.

ZoneAlarm usually informs me if a specific program is trying to access and I
can give permission at that time.

Thanks,
Kevin

"Mike M" wrote:

> Kevin22 <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > The funny thing is I did one of the other updates and it successfully
> > installed. When I went to history of Updates the IE6-SP1 was in there
> > 8 times as successful.
>
> Not funny at all. This simply indicates that you have downloaded the IE6
> SP1 setup.exe file 8 times - not that you have then run it and installed
> IE6 SP1.
>
> > Running ZoneAlarm and McAfee VirusScan. I actually disabled them both
> > to see if the setup for IE6-SP1 would go through. It didn't. Any
> > other way to test this? Not sure what else to change.
>
> Make sure you aren't blocking IE6's setup.exe from accessing the internet.
> There should be no need to exit ZA but instead all that's necessary is to
> authorise setup to access the net.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 3:33:41 PM

The program to authorise is the one you are using to install which from
your previous post and my memory is called something like setup.exe.
Check that you haven't previously blocked it from accessing the net as
this can cause ZA not to prompt again for permission.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Kevin22 <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Looked around ZoneAlarm and cannot see how I am blocking the Update.
> I can see how I can authorize a specific program to have access. I
> just don't know which one to authorize.
>
> ZoneAlarm usually informs me if a specific program is trying to
> access and I can give permission at that time.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 4:21:17 PM

Correction: The file is, of course, named ie6setup.exe (as you mentioned
earlier) rather than setup.exe.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Mike M <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

> The program to authorise is the one you are using to install which
> from your previous post and my memory is called something like
> setup.exe. Check that you haven't previously blocked it from
> accessing the net as this can cause ZA not to prompt again for
> permission.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 4:21:18 PM

Mike,

Have 3 occurences of ie6setup.exe file. In the Program Control area of
ZoneAlarm for Access I put them all as 'Trusted' and 'Internet' and for
Server I put them as 'Trusted' and 'Internet'. Double clicked on each and
also tried doing it again through Windows Update as I am connected to the
Internet and still the same error message.

Looks like it is possible for me to grant access from a specific IP address
in the Alerts section of ZoneAlarm, but I can't see a common one that Windows
Update would be running from. Is that something I should check into?

Thanks,
Kevin

"Mike M" wrote:

> Correction: The file is, of course, named ie6setup.exe (as you mentioned
> earlier) rather than setup.exe.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Mike M <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
>
> > The program to authorise is the one you are using to install which
> > from your previous post and my memory is called something like
> > setup.exe. Check that you haven't previously blocked it from
> > accessing the net as this can cause ZA not to prompt again for
> > permission.

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 9:16:08 PM

Kevin,

Access to the Windows Update site is irrelevant to the problem, but what
is relevant is that you are not blocking access by ie6setup.exe to the
internet and you have confirmed that you have not since you have checked
the Access | Internet box in ZA's Program Control (no need to check Server
| Internet). As a test though you might want to delete all references to
ie6setup.exe in ZA and then run ie6setup again and when ZA pops up a
warning about ie6setup.exe attempting to access the net allow it to do so.
If however ZA doesn't ask about allowing ie6setup access to the net you
know you have a problem with your PC.

BTW when you access the Windows Update site you are using Internet
Explorer so all that is necessary is that you configure IE to access the
Internet which I am sure that you have done. <g>

Is it possible that you have a customised HOSTS file that is preventing
access? I can't remember for the life of me the location or name of the
servers used by ie6setup but seem to recall that there are more than one.
Regrettably I'm not currently in a position to investigate this further at
the moment.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Kevin22 <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Have 3 occurences of ie6setup.exe file. In the Program Control area of
> ZoneAlarm for Access I put them all as 'Trusted' and 'Internet' and
> for Server I put them as 'Trusted' and 'Internet'. Double clicked on
> each and also tried doing it again through Windows Update as I am
> connected to the Internet and still the same error message.
>
> Looks like it is possible for me to grant access from a specific IP
> address in the Alerts section of ZoneAlarm, but I can't see a common
> one that Windows Update would be running from. Is that something I
> should check into?
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 9:16:09 PM

Well, I searched some newsgroups and have partially solved my problem.

Had to do a view of Hidden Folders to see an Uninstall Information folder in
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer. Moved everything within that to another
folder and ran IE6setup.exe within that folder. I'm thinking that is an older
version of IE6. That completed without any problems.

Then went to Update through the Internet and only selected IE6-SP1. It
completed, but did not install "Offline Browsing Pack" and "Advanced
Authoring". One reason said that "Items might depend on related components
installing correctly."

The next question is how I get my saved email folders back into OE? If I
start Express I think it will immediately try to download messages from my
ISP. When I saved the folders I did have messages in my Inbox and Sent
folder. From what I have heard that was a mistake on my part. Any suggestions
about correcting this?

What a great Memorial Weekend.

Thanks for all the help,
Kevin

"Mike M" wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> Access to the Windows Update site is irrelevant to the problem, but what
> is relevant is that you are not blocking access by ie6setup.exe to the
> internet and you have confirmed that you have not since you have checked
> the Access | Internet box in ZA's Program Control (no need to check Server
> | Internet). As a test though you might want to delete all references to
> ie6setup.exe in ZA and then run ie6setup again and when ZA pops up a
> warning about ie6setup.exe attempting to access the net allow it to do so.
> If however ZA doesn't ask about allowing ie6setup access to the net you
> know you have a problem with your PC.
>
> BTW when you access the Windows Update site you are using Internet
> Explorer so all that is necessary is that you configure IE to access the
> Internet which I am sure that you have done. <g>
>
> Is it possible that you have a customised HOSTS file that is preventing
> access? I can't remember for the life of me the location or name of the
> servers used by ie6setup but seem to recall that there are more than one.
> Regrettably I'm not currently in a position to investigate this further at
> the moment.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Kevin22 <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Mike,
> >
> > Have 3 occurences of ie6setup.exe file. In the Program Control area of
> > ZoneAlarm for Access I put them all as 'Trusted' and 'Internet' and
> > for Server I put them as 'Trusted' and 'Internet'. Double clicked on
> > each and also tried doing it again through Windows Update as I am
> > connected to the Internet and still the same error message.
> >
> > Looks like it is possible for me to grant access from a specific IP
> > address in the Alerts section of ZoneAlarm, but I can't see a common
> > one that Windows Update would be running from. Is that something I
> > should check into?

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 11:45:31 PM

> The next question is how I get my saved email folders back into OE?

Where did you backup your Outlook Express message store? Look, for
example for the file Inbox.dbx. Once you have located your backed up
message store then you can import it into Outlook Express using File |
Import | Messages | Microsoft Outlook Express 6 and following the prompts.
If you backed up your store to CDROM ensure that the restored files are
not marked Read only as otherwise you will not be able to restore the
messages until you remove that restriction. You can remove the read only
attribute by either right clicking on each dbx file, selecting properties
and unchecking the Read only box, or in bulk by carrying out the same
procedure but this time by right clicking on the folder containing the dbx
files and unchecking the Read only box, etc. Alternatively you can use
the ATTRIB command from a command prompt.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Kevin22 <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Well, I searched some newsgroups and have partially solved my problem.
>
> Had to do a view of Hidden Folders to see an Uninstall Information
> folder in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer. Moved everything within
> that to another folder and ran IE6setup.exe within that folder. I'm
> thinking that is an older version of IE6. That completed without any
> problems.
>
> Then went to Update through the Internet and only selected IE6-SP1. It
> completed, but did not install "Offline Browsing Pack" and "Advanced
> Authoring". One reason said that "Items might depend on related
> components installing correctly."
>
> The next question is how I get my saved email folders back into OE?
> If I start Express I think it will immediately try to download
> messages from my ISP. When I saved the folders I did have messages in
> my Inbox and Sent folder. From what I have heard that was a mistake
> on my part. Any suggestions about correcting this?
>
> What a great Memorial Weekend.
>
> Thanks for all the help,
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 11:45:32 PM

The saga continues.

The problem I wanted to resolve with all the IE6 reinstall is still there.
Have all the messages I know about in my OE folders. The problem is I have
two of each. When I go to the Inbox the error message states "Folder could
not be Displayed: Possible causes Low disc space, Low Memory". Have not tried
to download messages from the ISP. I did get an error message when I had this
problem previously which stated "An unknown error has occurred.........No,
Error Number: 0x800C012E".

Maybe I need to do this all over again. I know when I did this last time
Outlook Express was not in the Add/Remove Programs.

Thanks,
Kevin

!