Correcting OE Extraction Error

Removing IE 6 using Noel Patton program IERadicator. Did not remove OE 5 as
per instructions. First posted my problem on OE5.5 Discussion Group.

Did the extraction and now get a "Error starting program: A required DLL
file SHFOLDER.DLL was not found" when I boot the computer. Should I install
IE6?

Here's the first part of the story if you want to read it.
======================

Did a reinstall of the OS(WinME) on my system and have problems in the email
message transfer.

Used the program suggested in the OE6 Discussion group. It was at
www.oehelp.com/oebackup/default.aspx. I was able to backup the messages, but
could not correctly restore them using that program.

Basically I did the following steps.
- Updated Outlook Express to 6.0. Next time it was started all messages that
were in my email were automatically downloaded. (Had not meant that to
happen.)
- Moved the files in the Inbox to a 'Transfer' folder to prevent them from
being written over.
- Tried "oebackup" to restore without success.
- Did a 'drag and drop' of Inbox.dbx to test it. That was the bad move. Have
received error messages when going into Inbox since then.
- I was successful in doing an import through OE from where the email
folders were saved.

Clicking on the 'Inbox' currently says "Folder Could not be Displayed:
Possible causes Low Disk Space or Low Memory". Trying to receive messages
gets "An unknown error has occurred.........No, Error Number: 0x800C012E".

Tried a reinstall of OE without success.

Sorry this wasn't shorter. Thanks for anything.

Kevin

Kevin
There should be no need to remove OE, since if you use the full install of
IE6 to do the reinstall, it will also upgrade OE to OE6.
Which extraction are you talking about?? - the install of IE??

SHFOlder.dll is part of the Shell folder service - you can extract a new
copy of it from the file WIN_14.CAB in the C:\Windows\Options hierarchy
using MSCONFIG - place the new copy in the C:\Windows\System folder.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Kevin22" <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Removing IE 6 using Noel Patton program IERadicator. Did not remove OE 5
> as
> per instructions. First posted my problem on OE5.5 Discussion Group.
>
> Did the extraction and now get a "Error starting program: A required DLL
> file SHFOLDER.DLL was not found" when I boot the computer. Should I
> install
> IE6?
>
> Here's the first part of the story if you want to read it.
> ======================
>
> Did a reinstall of the OS(WinME) on my system and have problems in the
> email
> message transfer.
>
> Used the program suggested in the OE6 Discussion group. It was at
> www.oehelp.com/oebackup/default.aspx. I was able to backup the messages,
> but
> could not correctly restore them using that program.
>
> Basically I did the following steps.
> - Updated Outlook Express to 6.0. Next time it was started all messages
> that
> were in my email were automatically downloaded. (Had not meant that to
> happen.)
> - Moved the files in the Inbox to a 'Transfer' folder to prevent them from
> being written over.
> - Tried "oebackup" to restore without success.
> - Did a 'drag and drop' of Inbox.dbx to test it. That was the bad move.
> Have
> received error messages when going into Inbox since then.
> - I was successful in doing an import through OE from where the email
> folders were saved.
>
> Clicking on the 'Inbox' currently says "Folder Could not be Displayed:
> Possible causes Low Disk Space or Low Memory". Trying to receive messages
> gets "An unknown error has occurred.........No, Error Number: 0x800C012E".
>
> Tried a reinstall of OE without success.
>
> Sorry this wasn't shorter. Thanks for anything.
>
> Kevin

Shane

Noel, perhaps you should deny being responsible for IEradicator? <vbg>

Shane

> Kevin
> There should be no need to remove OE, since if you use the full install of
> IE6 to do the reinstall, it will also upgrade OE to OE6.
> Which extraction are you talking about?? - the install of IE??
>
> SHFOlder.dll is part of the Shell folder service - you can extract a new
> copy of it from the file WIN_14.CAB in the C:\Windows\Options hierarchy
> using MSCONFIG - place the new copy in the C:\Windows\System folder.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Kevin22" <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Removing IE 6 using Noel Patton program IERadicator. Did not remove OE 5
> > as
> > per instructions. First posted my problem on OE5.5 Discussion Group.
> >
> > Did the extraction and now get a "Error starting program: A required DLL
> > file SHFOLDER.DLL was not found" when I boot the computer. Should I
> > install
> > IE6?
> >
> > Here's the first part of the story if you want to read it.
> > ======================
> >
> > Did a reinstall of the OS(WinME) on my system and have problems in the
> > email
> > message transfer.
> >
> > Used the program suggested in the OE6 Discussion group. It was at
> > www.oehelp.com/oebackup/default.aspx. I was able to backup the messages,
> > but
> > could not correctly restore them using that program.
> >
> > Basically I did the following steps.
> > - Updated Outlook Express to 6.0. Next time it was started all messages
> > that
> > were in my email were automatically downloaded. (Had not meant that to
> > happen.)
> > - Moved the files in the Inbox to a 'Transfer' folder to prevent them
from
> > being written over.
> > - Tried "oebackup" to restore without success.
> > - Did a 'drag and drop' of Inbox.dbx to test it. That was the bad move.
> > Have
> > received error messages when going into Inbox since then.
> > - I was successful in doing an import through OE from where the email
> > folders were saved.
> >
> > Clicking on the 'Inbox' currently says "Folder Could not be Displayed:
> > Possible causes Low Disk Space or Low Memory". Trying to receive
messages
> > gets "An unknown error has occurred.........No, Error Number:
0x800C012E".

> > Tried a reinstall of OE without success.
> >
> > Sorry this wasn't shorter. Thanks for anything.
> >
> > Kevin

I thought I did - at least on my website???

--

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > happen.)
>> > - Moved the files in the Inbox to a 'Transfer' folder to prevent them
> from
>> > being written over.
>> > - Tried "oebackup" to restore without success.
>> > - Did a 'drag and drop' of Inbox.dbx to test it. That was the bad move.
>> > Have
>> > received error messages when going into Inbox since then.
>> > - I was successful in doing an import through OE from where the email
>> > folders were saved.
>> >
>> > Clicking on the 'Inbox' currently says "Folder Could not be Displayed:
>> > Possible causes Low Disk Space or Low Memory". Trying to receive
> messages
>> > gets "An unknown error has occurred.........No, Error Number:
> 0x800C012E".
>> >
>> > Tried a reinstall of OE without success.
>> >
>> > Sorry this wasn't shorter. Thanks for anything.

Shane

I've got just eight words for you, Noel..........

Shane

> I thought I did - at least on my website???
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Noel, perhaps you should deny being responsible for IEradicator? <vbg>
> >
> > Shane
> >

> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> >> Kevin
> >> There should be no need to remove OE, since if you use the full install
> >> of
> >> IE6 to do the reinstall, it will also upgrade OE to OE6.
> >> Which extraction are you talking about?? - the install of IE??
> >>
> >> SHFOlder.dll is part of the Shell folder service - you can extract a
new
> >> copy of it from the file WIN_14.CAB in the C:\Windows\Options
hierarchy
> >> using MSCONFIG - place the new copy in the C:\Windows\System folder.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >>
> >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >>
> >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

> >> "Kevin22" <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
OE

> > from

Displayed:
> > messages
> > 0x800C012E".

That many??

(hmmm - this beats the heck out the Times crossword for puzzles........)

--

Noel Paton wrote:
> That many??
>
> (hmmm - this beats the heck out the Times crossword for puzzles........)

"Never put beer in the post, it leaks"

ROTFL!!

--

> Noel Paton wrote:
>> That many??
>>
>> (hmmm - this beats the heck out the Times crossword for puzzles........)
>>

> "Never put beer in the post, it leaks"

Guess I might be mixing my terms. I was actually removing IE using IERadicator.

Thanks, I was able to put the dll file back. Now my problem is installing
IE6. Got the install from http://www.broomeman.com/support/wsiedown.html
which apparently is a problem. When I start the computer it now takes me to
setup and I eventually get the message "Setup cannot continue becuse files
are missing from the installation directory. Please run Setup again and
choose Resume Setup. This will download the missing files and continue Setup."

Only reason I can think of for the problem is that I selected 2 languages in
the Setup and later backed up and removed those selections when Setup said it
needed to download more from the Internet.

I have tried running Setup with my internet connection up, but it still does
not continue.

I heard I can get an AOL disk and install IE from that. Would that be a
solution?

Thanks for all your help,
Kevin

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> Kevin
> There should be no need to remove OE, since if you use the full install of
> IE6 to do the reinstall, it will also upgrade OE to OE6.
> Which extraction are you talking about?? - the install of IE??
>
> SHFOlder.dll is part of the Shell folder service - you can extract a new
> copy of it from the file WIN_14.CAB in the C:\Windows\Options hierarchy
> using MSCONFIG - place the new copy in the C:\Windows\System folder.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Kevin22" <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Removing IE 6 using Noel Patton program IERadicator. Did not remove OE 5
> > as
> > per instructions. First posted my problem on OE5.5 Discussion Group.
> >
> > Did the extraction and now get a "Error starting program: A required DLL
> > file SHFOLDER.DLL was not found" when I boot the computer. Should I
> > install
> > IE6?
> >
> > Here's the first part of the story if you want to read it.
> > ======================
> >
> > Did a reinstall of the OS(WinME) on my system and have problems in the
> > email
> > message transfer.
> >
> > Used the program suggested in the OE6 Discussion group. It was at
> > www.oehelp.com/oebackup/default.aspx. I was able to backup the messages,
> > but
> > could not correctly restore them using that program.
> >
> > Basically I did the following steps.
> > - Updated Outlook Express to 6.0. Next time it was started all messages
> > that
> > were in my email were automatically downloaded. (Had not meant that to
> > happen.)
> > - Moved the files in the Inbox to a 'Transfer' folder to prevent them from
> > being written over.
> > - Tried "oebackup" to restore without success.
> > - Did a 'drag and drop' of Inbox.dbx to test it. That was the bad move.
> > Have
> > received error messages when going into Inbox since then.
> > - I was successful in doing an import through OE from where the email
> > folders were saved.
> >
> > Clicking on the 'Inbox' currently says "Folder Could not be Displayed:
> > Possible causes Low Disk Space or Low Memory". Trying to receive messages
> > gets "An unknown error has occurred.........No, Error Number: 0x800C012E".
> >
> > Tried a reinstall of OE without success.
> >
> > Sorry this wasn't shorter. Thanks for anything.
> >
> > Kevin

Shane

> Noel Paton wrote:
> > That many??
> >
> > (hmmm - this beats the heck out the Times crossword for puzzles........)
> >

> "Never put beer in the post, it leaks"

I put a lot of buds in the post and they stank, which I guess means they
leaked. Apparently you could smell them the moment you opened the door to
the postman.

Shane

<lol> And that spoilt the surprise <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:

> I put a lot of buds in the post and they stank, which I guess means
> they leaked. Apparently you could smell them the moment you opened
> the door to the postman.
>

> Shane

The postman needed a bath then?

--

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Noel Paton wrote:
>> > That many??
>> >
>> > (hmmm - this beats the heck out the Times crossword for
>> > puzzles........)
>> >

>> "Never put beer in the post, it leaks"
>
> I put a lot of buds in the post and they stank, which I guess means they
> leaked. Apparently you could smell them the moment you opened the door to
> the postman.
>

> Shane

<lol> At least he couldn't be accused of drinking it <g>
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:
> The postman needed a bath then?

Shane

Did you ever have an afghan coat? I had a white one - beautiful it was, but
it smelled so strong the cat attacked it as soon as I got it home <well, we
know how they cure those things!>

Imagine an afghan crossed with a skunk.

Shane

> The postman needed a bath then?
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> "Never put beer in the post, it leaks"
> >
> > I put a lot of buds in the post and they stank, which I guess means they
> > leaked. Apparently you could smell them the moment you opened the door
> > the postman.
> >

> > Shane

Shane

The bath?

Shane

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> <lol> At least he couldn't be accused of drinking it <g>
> Joan
>

> Noel Paton wrote:
> > The postman needed a bath then?

<lol> I'd rather not <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:
> Imagine an afghan crossed with a skunk.
>

> Shane

<lol> No the bud you fool <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:
> The bath?
>

> Shane

The AOL8 CD has the MS IE6 installation file at
AOL8/Browsers/MSIE/MSIE6ME.exe. Similar files for Win2K and Win98 are
there, too.
I suspect the newer AOL9 disk is similar, but I do not have one at hand now.
Hopefully, it has IE6 SP1 files already.

Once it is installed properly, create a SR checkpoint, and proceed to Win
Updates to get the necessary IE6 patches.
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> [...]
> > > - Moved the files in the Inbox to a 'Transfer' folder to prevent them
from
> > > being written over.
> > > - Tried "oebackup" to restore without success.
> > > - Did a 'drag and drop' of Inbox.dbx to test it. That was the bad
move.
> > > Have
> > > received error messages when going into Inbox since then.
> > > - I was successful in doing an import through OE from where the email
> > > folders were saved.
> > >
> > > Clicking on the 'Inbox' currently says "Folder Could not be Displayed:
> > > Possible causes Low Disk Space or Low Memory". Trying to receive
messages
> > > gets "An unknown error has occurred.........No, Error Number:
0x800C012E".

> > > Tried a reinstall of OE without success.
> > >
> > > Sorry this wasn't shorter. Thanks for anything.

Did the download of IE6setup.exe from the web
page(http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/) to a thumb drive then tried to
install from that on to the computer with the setup problem.

Having the same problem. Still says there are files missing from the
installation directory.

Could there be a problem in the steps I'm taking?

Thanks,
Kevin

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> The AOL8 CD has the MS IE6 installation file at
> AOL8/Browsers/MSIE/MSIE6ME.exe. Similar files for Win2K and Win98 are
> there, too.
> I suspect the newer AOL9 disk is similar, but I do not have one at hand now.
> Hopefully, it has IE6 SP1 files already.
>
> Once it is installed properly, create a SR checkpoint, and proceed to Win
> Updates to get the necessary IE6 patches.
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Kevin22" <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Guess I might be mixing my terms. I was actually removing IE using
> IERadicator.
> >
> > Thanks, I was able to put the dll file back. Now my problem is installing
> > IE6. Got the install from http://www.broomeman.com/support/wsiedown.html
> > which apparently is a problem. When I start the computer it now takes me
> > setup and I eventually get the message "Setup cannot continue becuse files
> > are missing from the installation directory. Please run Setup again and
> > choose Resume Setup. This will download the missing files and continue
> Setup."
> >
> > Only reason I can think of for the problem is that I selected 2 languages
> in
> > the Setup and later backed up and removed those selections when Setup said
> it
> > needed to download more from the Internet.
> >
> > I have tried running Setup with my internet connection up, but it still
> does
> > not continue.
> >
> > I heard I can get an AOL disk and install IE from that. Would that be a
> > solution?
> >
> > Thanks for all your help,
> > Kevin
> >

> > "Noel Paton" wrote:
> >
> > > Kevin
> > > There should be no need to remove OE, since if you use the full install
> of
> > > IE6 to do the reinstall, it will also upgrade OE to OE6.
> > > Which extraction are you talking about?? - the install of IE??
> > >
> > > SHFOlder.dll is part of the Shell folder service - you can extract a new
> > > copy of it from the file WIN_14.CAB in the C:\Windows\Options hierarchy
> > > using MSCONFIG - place the new copy in the C:\Windows\System folder.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> > >
> > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> > >
> > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
> NG's
> > >
> > > "Kevin22" <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 5

> DLL

> messages,

> messages
> from
> move.

> messages
> 0x800C012E".

Shane

So how's your foot these days, Joanie B? I'm on anti-biotics with an
ingrowing toenail. Apparently I'm not the surgeon I thought I was!

> <lol> No the bud you fool <g>
> Joan
>

> Shane wrote:
> > The bath?
> >

> > Shane

The AOL 9 install is not so much fun - IE is well-imbedded in the files on
the CD (at least here in the UK)

--

> [...]
> does
>> not continue.
>>
>> I heard I can get an AOL disk and install IE from that. Would that be a
>> solution?
>>
>> Thanks for all your help,
>> Kevin
>>

>> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>>
>> > Kevin
>> > There should be no need to remove OE, since if you use the full install
> of
>> > IE6 to do the reinstall, it will also upgrade OE to OE6.
>> > Which extraction are you talking about?? - the install of IE??
>> >
>> > SHFOlder.dll is part of the Shell folder service - you can extract a
>> > new
>> > copy of it from the file WIN_14.CAB in the C:\Windows\Options
>> > hierarchy
>> > using MSCONFIG - place the new copy in the C:\Windows\System folder.

No problems at all these days, <g> just the back with the problems but
that's being sorted out with the chiroprator and doing very well.
Hope your toe gets better, Kelly had that problem and had to have it taken
off twice (the nail not the toe) the last time for good hopefully <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:
> So how's your foot these days, Joanie B? I'm on anti-biotics with an
> ingrowing toenail. Apparently I'm not the surgeon I thought I was!
>

> Shane

Was finally able to do the installation of IE6 from an AOL CD.

Next step was to go to 'Windows Update' to get all critical updates. In
trying to install of SP1 I chose a Custom installation and I am back at the
error message "Setup cannot continue because files are missing from the
installation directory. Please run Setup again and choose Resume Setup. This
will download the missing files and continue." I do that and it puts me in a
loop.

I know I am getting to Windows Update through the Internet. Is there a
problem with this directory at Microsoft?

Thanks again,
Kevin

"Kevin22" wrote:

> Did the download of IE6setup.exe from the web
> page(http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/) to a thumb drive then tried to
> install from that on to the computer with the setup problem.
>
> Having the same problem. Still says there are files missing from the
> installation directory.
>
> Could there be a problem in the steps I'm taking?
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
>
> > The AOL8 CD has the MS IE6 installation file at
> > AOL8/Browsers/MSIE/MSIE6ME.exe. Similar files for Win2K and Win98 are
> > there, too.
> > I suspect the newer AOL9 disk is similar, but I do not have one at hand now.
> > Hopefully, it has IE6 SP1 files already.
> >
> > Once it is installed properly, create a SR checkpoint, and proceed to Win
> > Updates to get the necessary IE6 patches.
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "Kevin22" <Kevin22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Guess I might be mixing my terms. I was actually removing IE using
> > IERadicator.
> > >
> > > Thanks, I was able to put the dll file back. Now my problem is installing
> > > IE6. Got the install from http://www.broomeman.com/support/wsiedown.html
> > > which apparently is a problem. When I start the computer it now takes me
> > > setup and I eventually get the message "Setup cannot continue becuse files
> > > are missing from the installation directory. Please run Setup again and
> > > choose Resume Setup. This will download the missing files and continue
> > Setup."
> > >
> > > Only reason I can think of for the problem is that I selected 2 languages
> > in
> > > the Setup and later backed up and removed those selections when Setup said
> > it
> > > needed to download more from the Internet.
> > >
> > > I have tried running Setup with my internet connection up, but it still
> > does
> > > not continue.
> > >
> > > I heard I can get an AOL disk and install IE from that. Would that be a
> > > solution?
> > >
> > > Thanks for all your help,
> > > Kevin

> > of

> > NG's

> > 5

> > DLL

> > messages,

> > messages
> > from
> > move.

> > messages
> > 0x800C012E".

Another thought now I know why you had to post the bud you couldn't drink
it because you're on antibiotics <vbg>
Joan

Shane wrote:
> So how's your foot these days, Joanie B? I'm on anti-biotics with an
> ingrowing toenail. Apparently I'm not the surgeon I thought I was!
>

> Shane

> I know I am getting to Windows Update through the Internet. Is there a
> problem with this directory at Microsoft?

No, which would suggest that something in your system might be blocking
access to the site during the install such as maybe an incorrectly
configured firewall or having a product from Symantec such as NAV running
during the upgrade.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com