HD Operating temp?

I put a WD1200 7200rpm in a USB external case in a home office and I would
like to leave it on 24/7 to backup up 4 PCs over LAN. (If I have to remember
to turn it on each day, I wont get consistent backups)
The case has no fan but good space around it and vents for convection air
flow. Nothing sits on top of it and feet elevate so air can get underneath.

Is this going to be a heat issue for the unit in this configuration that
could push it to operate over max temp or accellerate a failure. If I leave
it on 24/7, how long should it theoritcally last?

thanks for any insight
5 answers Last reply
More about operating temp

    I responded to your identical post in alt.backup-software,

    --
    http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

    jtsnow writes:

    > I put a WD1200 7200rpm in a USB external case in a home office and I would
    > like to leave it on 24/7 to backup up 4 PCs over LAN. (If I have to remember
    > to turn it on each day, I wont get consistent backups)
    > The case has no fan but good space around it and vents for convection air
    > flow. Nothing sits on top of it and feet elevate so air can get underneath.

    I should think it would be okay at idle; a lot of disk drives work under
    conditions of low airflow.

    What happens under load is a different story. And it depends on the
    load: the usual desktop-style use doesn't load a drive very much, but
    server-style use with constant seeking can warm the drive a great deal.

    > Is this going to be a heat issue for the unit in this configuration that
    > could push it to operate over max temp or accellerate a failure. If I leave
    > it on 24/7, how long should it theoritcally last?

    Disk drives last for a long time, but they like cool environments and
    clean power supplies. My feeling is that a drive should never be more
    than warm to the touch, and a drive that is too hot to touch is in
    danger.

    with basic workshop skills, you should be able to put one or two fans
    into this case to better aid proper cooling under heavy use. There are
    abundant fan sizes out there these days, and even one tiny enough to go
    into a laptop will provide some forced ventilation.

    jtsnow wrote:
    > I put a WD1200 7200rpm in a USB external case in a home office and I would
    > like to leave it on 24/7 to backup up 4 PCs over LAN. (If I have to remember
    > to turn it on each day, I wont get consistent backups)
    > The case has no fan but good space around it and vents for convection air
    > flow. Nothing sits on top of it and feet elevate so air can get underneath.
    >
    > Is this going to be a heat issue for the unit in this configuration that
    > could push it to operate over max temp or accellerate a failure. If I leave
    > it on 24/7, how long should it theoritcally last?
    >
    > thanks for any insight

    I have four of these WD1200JB disk drives in a home server which is on
    24/7 uptime is over 1yr (FreeBSD OS) I have never noticed the drives
    heating up however I did put them in Coolermaster cooldrive3 enclosures
    hard drives are designed to be in constant use you should have no
    problems with your external usb caddy it would have been better to buy a
    aluminium caddy which touched the hard drive this method acts like a
    heat sink. besides that WD1200JB has a 3yr warranty.

    thats really good input
    thanks!

    "JD" <JD@No.Reply.sorry.com> wrote in message
    > jtsnow wrote:
    >> I put a WD1200 7200rpm in a USB external case in a home office and I
    >> would like to leave it on 24/7 to backup up 4 PCs over LAN. (If I have to
    >> remember to turn it on each day, I wont get consistent backups)
    >> The case has no fan but good space around it and vents for convection air
    >> flow. Nothing sits on top of it and feet elevate so air can get
    >> underneath.
    >>
    >> Is this going to be a heat issue for the unit in this configuration that
    >> could push it to operate over max temp or accellerate a failure. If I
    >> leave it on 24/7, how long should it theoritcally last?
    >>
    >> thanks for any insight
    >>

    > I have four of these WD1200JB disk drives in a home server which is on
    > 24/7 uptime is over 1yr (FreeBSD OS) I have never noticed the drives
    > heating up however I did put them in Coolermaster cooldrive3 enclosures
    > hard drives are designed to be in constant use you should have no problems
    > with your external usb caddy it would have been better to buy a
    > aluminium caddy which touched the hard drive this method acts like a heat
    > sink. besides that WD1200JB has a 3yr warranty.

Homebuilt Systems