Harry.

From: "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net>

| According to "a-squared" aida32.exe is a Riskware Tool.
| I have 'not' deleted it, but should it be?
| A-squared seems to be a decent malware fighter.
| It is totally up to me to determine what action to take.
| What is the consensus in this NG?
|
| Harry.

No, AIDA32.EXE (while old now and no longer updated) is not malware/riskware.
That is assuming is the EXE in the same folder as all the other AIDA32.* files.

Remember, any file can be named anything.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Hello Dave:

Then the only way for me to find out, would be to delete the named file.
Since it's only an executive file, it wouldn't interfere with the program
itself, would it?
A-squared also lists a bin file from aida32, but not as a risk tool.
Would you recommend ignoring this whole thing?
A-squared is supposed to be a respectable name.

Harry.

> From: "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net>
>
> | According to "a-squared" aida32.exe is a Riskware Tool.
> | I have 'not' deleted it, but should it be?
> | A-squared seems to be a decent malware fighter.
> | It is totally up to me to determine what action to take.
> | What is the consensus in this NG?
> |
> | Harry.
> |

> No, AIDA32.EXE (while old now and no longer updated) is not
malware/riskware.
> That is assuming is the EXE in the same folder as all the other AIDA32.*
files.

> Remember, any file can be named anything.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002

Harry,

Do you have AIDA32 installed on your system? If so, I think you have a
false positive. I don't use A-squared, but if you can, set it to ignore
aida32.exe. If you delete this file, AIDA32 will not be usable.

Tom

webster72n wrote:
> Hello Dave:
>
> Then the only way for me to find out, would be to delete the named file.
> Since it's only an executive file, it wouldn't interfere with the program
> itself, would it?
> A-squared also lists a bin file from aida32, but not as a risk tool.
> Would you recommend ignoring this whole thing?
> A-squared is supposed to be a respectable name.
>
> Harry.

>>From: "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net>
>>
>>| According to "a-squared" aida32.exe is a Riskware Tool.
>>| I have 'not' deleted it, but should it be?
>>| A-squared seems to be a decent malware fighter.
>>| It is totally up to me to determine what action to take.
>>| What is the consensus in this NG?
>>|
>>| Harry.
>>|

>>No, AIDA32.EXE (while old now and no longer updated) is not
>
> malware/riskware.
>
>>That is assuming is the EXE in the same folder as all the other AIDA32.*
>
> files.
>
>>Remember, any file can be named anything.
>>
>>--
>>Dave
>>http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>>http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Aida32, Ver. 3.2, runs fine on this WinME machine, as it has done for many
years.
It is never referenced by any AV or spyware tools here.

As David Lipman points out, any executable file can be infected, so rule
that out, and then forget worrying about Aida32 being malware.
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> From: "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net>
>

> | Hello Dave:
> |
> | Then the only way for me to find out, would be to delete the named file.
> | Since it's only an executive file, it wouldn't interfere with the
program
> | itself, would it?
> | A-squared also lists a bin file from aida32, but not as a risk tool.
> | Would you recommend ignoring this whole thing?
> | A-squared is supposed to be a respectable name.
> |
> | Harry.
>

> If it is in the folder, with files of with names such as the attached,
ignore it ! !

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Maybe I'm wrong here but I *thought* that Aida32 had be phased-out by
Lavalys and been replaced by Everest Home Edition. I certainly replaced it
here 'ages ago'

Everest HE http://www.lavalys.com/

Mart

> Aida32, Ver. 3.2, runs fine on this WinME machine, as it has done for many
> years.
> It is never referenced by any AV or spyware tools here.
>
> As David Lipman points out, any executable file can be infected, so rule
> that out, and then forget worrying about Aida32 being malware.
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
>> From: "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net>
>>

>> | Hello Dave:
>> |
>> | Then the only way for me to find out, would be to delete the named
>> file.
>> | Since it's only an executive file, it wouldn't interfere with the
> program
>> | itself, would it?
>> | A-squared also lists a bin file from aida32, but not as a risk tool.
>> | Would you recommend ignoring this whole thing?
>> | A-squared is supposed to be a respectable name.
>> |
>> | Harry.
>>

>> If it is in the folder, with files of with names such as the attached,
> ignore it ! !
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002

Mart,

You're absolutely correct. Like Jack though, I've kept AIDA32 (ver.
3.93) on the WinME box. From what I can tell, Everest HE provides the
same info, although I recall reading recently that with the latest
release, 2.0, Lavalys removed the software information. It's
now included only in each of the pay versions. The information on the
Lavalys website would seem to bear this out. I have Everest HE 1.51 on
an XP box, and software information is still there.

Tom

Mart wrote:
> Maybe I'm wrong here but I *thought* that Aida32 had be phased-out by
> Lavalys and been replaced by Everest Home Edition. I certainly replaced it
> here 'ages ago'
>
> Everest HE http://www.lavalys.com/
>
> Mart
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
>
>>Aida32, Ver. 3.2, runs fine on this WinME machine, as it has done for many
>>years.
>>It is never referenced by any AV or spyware tools here.
>>
>>As David Lipman points out, any executable file can be infected, so rule
>>that out, and then forget worrying about Aida32 being malware.
>>--
>>Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
>>Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>>In Memorium: Alex Nichol
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
>>Your cooperation is very appreciated.
>>------
>>"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>>
>>>From: "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net>

>>>file.
>>
>>program

>>>If it is in the folder, with files of with names such as the attached,
>>
>>ignore it ! !
>>
>>>--
>>>Dave
>>>http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>>>http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Got it, Dave.

Harry.

Tom wrote:-
> ... I have Everest HE 1.51 on an XP box, and software information is still
> there.

Ditto here too Tom, for the same reasons - but I also try to keep copies of
all 'original' releases in the series whenever possible just in case I ever
need to go back - the one you cited, being a perfect example.

Mart

"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Mart,
>
> You're absolutely correct. Like Jack though, I've kept AIDA32 (ver.
> 3.93) on the WinME box. From what I can tell, Everest HE provides the
> same info, although I recall reading recently that with the latest
> release, 2.0, Lavalys removed the software information. It's
> now included only in each of the pay versions. The information on the
> Lavalys website would seem to bear this out. I have Everest HE 1.51 on an
> XP box, and software information is still there.
>
> Tom
>
> Mart wrote:
>> Maybe I'm wrong here but I *thought* that Aida32 had be phased-out by
>> Lavalys and been replaced by Everest Home Edition. I certainly replaced
>> it here 'ages ago'
>>
>> Everest HE http://www.lavalys.com/
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Aida32, Ver. 3.2, runs fine on this WinME machine, as it has done for
>>>many
>>>years.
>>>It is never referenced by any AV or spyware tools here.
>>>
>>>As David Lipman points out, any executable file can be infected, so rule
>>>that out, and then forget worrying about Aida32 being malware.
>>>--
>>>Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
>>>Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>>>In Memorium: Alex Nichol
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
>>>Your cooperation is very appreciated.
>>>------
>>>"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

>>>program

>>>ignore it ! !

Glad I asked, Jack.
Thank you.

Harry.

> Aida32, Ver. 3.2, runs fine on this WinME machine, as it has done for many
> years.
> It is never referenced by any AV or spyware tools here.
>
> As David Lipman points out, any executable file can be infected, so rule
> that out, and then forget worrying about Aida32 being malware.
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> > From: "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net>
> >

> > | Hello Dave:
> > |
> > | Then the only way for me to find out, would be to delete the named
file.
> > | Since it's only an executive file, it wouldn't interfere with the
> program
> > | itself, would it?
> > | A-squared also lists a bin file from aida32, but not as a risk tool.
> > | Would you recommend ignoring this whole thing?
> > | A-squared is supposed to be a respectable name.
> > |
> > | Harry.
> >

> > If it is in the folder, with files of with names such as the attached,
> ignore it ! !
> >
> > --
> > Dave
> > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

My understanding is similar to TomV's, Mart.
In truth, I've never obtained a copy of the later Everest tool, as I was/am
very happy with Aida32.
It reports lots of useful stuff, and is a fine complement to Belarc Advisor.
As you have pointed out previously, Aida32's memory check/speed test feature
is very useful.