file folders

when I go to open a file folder it opens in word and
says "the document name or path is not valid" The only
way I can open the folder is to right click the folder
and click explore.Can anyone help
2 answers Last reply
More about file folders

    Hi Lee,

    Your folder association is wrong. Go to the Control Panel/Folder
    Options/File types tab, locate "folder" (not "file folder"), select it and
    click advanced. See if the word associating entry is listed here, if so
    remove it. Then run the script from MVP Doug Knox to repair the function:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "lee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > when I go to open a file folder it opens in word and
    > says "the document name or path is not valid" The only
    > way I can open the folder is to right click the folder
    > and click explore.Can anyone help

    Actually, the correct fix for this user would be under Win XP Fixes, File Association Fixes, Folder Association Fix.

    While the fix for Search opening when you double click a folder would probably work, since it reregisters the SHELL32.DLL, its probably overkill. Re-registering the SHELL32.DLL restores hundreds of settings back to their default values, some of which the user might not want changed back. :)

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:OzFWm25eEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Hi Lee,
    >
    > Your folder association is wrong. Go to the Control Panel/Folder
    > Options/File types tab, locate "folder" (not "file folder"), select it and
    > click advanced. See if the word associating entry is listed here, if so
    > remove it. Then run the script from MVP Doug Knox to repair the function:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "lee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> when I go to open a file folder it opens in word and
    >> says "the document name or path is not valid" The only
    >> way I can open the folder is to right click the folder
    >> and click explore.Can anyone help

Document Microsoft Windows XP