Antec Aria cheap Linux box

JB

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.linux.suse (More info?)

Hello,

I am trying to build a very cheap computer with an Antec Aria case and SUSE.

I also have a nice hard disk, 300w power supply that came with the case, and
all the peripherals (keyboard, mouse). I have SUSE as well on CD and on DVD.

My question is -- what elee do I need? I'm trying to get the cheapest
possible system that will run SUSE 9, no hardcore graphics or gaming. Mostly
I want to use it as another OpenOffice, web and e-mail box.

So, thinking in terms of Linux, I'm wondering:

Which motherboard should I get? Needs to be SFF and cheap.
What RAM works with that board?
Which CD drive works in this case the best?
What else do I need?
Where should I buy from for the best deal?

Thanks for your help,

- JB

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.linux.suse (More info?)

> I am trying to build a very cheap computer with an Antec Aria case and SUSE.
>
> I also have a nice hard disk, 300w power supply that came with the case, and
> all the peripherals (keyboard, mouse). I have SUSE as well on CD and on DVD.
>
> My question is -- what elee do I need? I'm trying to get the cheapest
> possible system that will run SUSE 9, no hardcore graphics or gaming. Mostly
> I want to use it as another OpenOffice, web and e-mail box.
>
> So, thinking in terms of Linux, I'm wondering:
>
> Which motherboard should I get? Needs to be SFF and cheap.

Go to Newegg and look at microATX motherboards. Most of them come with
onbaord audio, video, LAN, and USB. $50

You will also need a CPU. $85

> What RAM works with that board?

Most modern boards take DDR266/333/400. You can easily get by with 256
MB. Hell, you might get by with 128 but I wouldn't push it. $25

> Which CD drive works in this case the best?

Any CD drive. You can even pull one from your other system just to
install Suse, and then remove it. You can always add stuff later by
using a USB flash drive or network connection. $20

> What else do I need?

I would take a look at the stock HSF that comes with your CPU before you
buy it. Sometimes it can be a tight fit in those small form factors.
Alternatively, get an OEM Athlon XP mobile and buy a 60 mm HSF.

> Where should I buy from for the best deal?

Pricewatch is a good place to start.

JB

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.linux.suse (More info?)

Do you see anything that won't work here, or do you know if there is cheaper
stuff somewhere -- this mobo has built-in video:

1. Dumpinggoods.com FIC VC37 Motherboard - $19

2. Dumpinggoods.com KINGSTON 128MB PC2100 CL2.5 DDR - $22.50 each ($45)

3. Mwave LiteOn 48x - $15

4. Mwave Celeron 1.8 - $55

Total: $134

http://pricescan.com/items/item133682.asp

JB wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build a very cheap computer with an Antec Aria case and
> SUSE.
>
> I also have a nice hard disk, 300w power supply that came with the case,
> and all the peripherals (keyboard, mouse). I have SUSE as well on CD and
> on DVD.
>
> My question is -- what elee do I need? I'm trying to get the cheapest
> possible system that will run SUSE 9, no hardcore graphics or gaming.
> Mostly I want to use it as another OpenOffice, web and e-mail box.
>
> So, thinking in terms of Linux, I'm wondering:
>
> Which motherboard should I get? Needs to be SFF and cheap.
A Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M works fine in my Aria - but it's micro-ATX. It has
socket 754 for Athlon64 and Sempron. I have a Sempron 3100+

> What RAM works with that board?
Infineon DDR PC2100 does.

> Which CD drive works in this case the best?
> What else do I need?

Heatsink may be a problem. I have combined the large heatsink of an AC
Silencer 64 Ultra with a 8" standard fan with 1500 rpm mounted on the
separat frame that comes with the Aria and is attached on the lower edge
of the power supply. Even with 100% CPU-load temperature does not exceed 52
centigrades.

--
Rüdiger

Matt wrote:
> JB wrote:
>
>> Do you see anything that won't work here, or do you know if there is
>> cheaper stuff somewhere -- this mobo has built-in video:
>>
>> 1. Dumpinggoods.com FIC VC37 Motherboard - $19
>
> First ask yourself why it is so cheap. Google for posts by people
> having trouble with whatever mobo you are considering.

Does anyone know if this motherboard is el-cheapo in quality?

>> 2. Dumpinggoods.com KINGSTON 128MB PC2100 CL2.5 DDR - $22.50 each ($45)
>
> Get a single faster 512 stick for not much more---commonly on rebate at
> the major chain stores for around $50.

Do the chips need to be in pairs?

>> 3. Mwave LiteOn 48x - $15
>
> Get a Liteon or Samsung or other name brand CDRW for about $28 shipped.

It is a LiteOn, just from Mwave

>> 4. Mwave Celeron 1.8 - $55
>
> Presumably you are getting a retail CPU---heat sink and fan included,
> with three-year warranty.

Yes, retail.

> If you need to cut costs, you might think of a cheaper case, unless size
> is very important to you. You can save around $45 by changing from the
> Aria to the SLK2650. The cost of the Aria is not really consistent with
> the costs of your other components.

I already have the case.

Matt wrote:
> JB wrote:

>>> Get a single faster 512 stick for not much more---commonly on rebate
>>> at the major chain stores for around $50.
>>

>> Do the chips need to be in pairs?
>

> No. I think it depends on the mobo chipset whether you get a speed
> advantage with dual channel DDR and onboard video. Anyway that is too
> much for 128MB sticks. As I wrote before, see techbargains.com.

Well, i got them anyway because I bought a few other things from Mwave.

>> It is a LiteOn, just from Mwave
>

> But is it a CDRW (CD burner) or just a CD-ROM?

Just CD.

JB

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.linux.suse (More info?)

Now, let me ask you this. I have another "half done" box. To finish that
system, I need:

1. DDR2 533+/533/400 256 -- $49 each (mwave)

2. Prescott 2.8 for 775 -- $158

3. PCI Express 16X - ATI X300 -- $60

4. DVD - LG 16X -- $22

Will all that equipment work well and can I get anything different and
cheaper?

- JB