Windows ME System Tools

In Windows ME, can some of the system tools be turned off??? I would like to
turn off the Disk Cleanup, Disk Defragmenter, and Scan Disk. I run Norton
SystemWorks, and it runs the same programs. I really like the Norton program
better. I kinda think its a waste to have two programs running the same
checks.
Thanks!!! =0)

Turn off? With the exception of Scandisk, which runs each time the system
boots and I would never ever suggest removing this, neither Disk Cleanup
nor Disk Fragmenter run unless you do this yourself manually or have
configured the task scheduler to run these for you.

Personally though I feel your PC would probably benefit considerably by
dumping Norton and all other Symantec products and sticking with the tools
that came with Win Me or use others that cause less problems than the well
documented problems caused by Norton products on Win Me.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

MissNascar38 wrote:
> In Windows ME, can some of the system tools be turned off??? I would like to
> turn off the Disk Cleanup, Disk Defragmenter, and Scan Disk.

Since none of those work automatically and you have to click on them to
run them there is no reason to "turn them off". But, if you have them
set to run as Scheduled Tasks and you wish them not to then change the
Scheduling.

> I run Norton
> SystemWorks, and it runs the same programs.

The *same* programs or programs which reportedly do the same thing?

> I really like the Norton program
> better.

<shrug> I'm not a big fan of Norton; what they do is buy up other
companies' programs and some of their programs cause problems under
Windows Millenium despite their claims to the contrary.

I kinda think its a waste to have two programs running the same
> checks.

Again, no reason to "turn them off". If you like you can delete them or
their shortcuts so you don't accidentally click on them (?)

> Thanks!!! =0)

np; regarding another post of yours though, Windows Millenium is
actually the stable component; it's almost certainly NSW that's causing
crashes; Norton didn't bother to modify their 9x stuff to work under
WindowsME.

Rick

KB

Agree, Rick. Try buying a system that doesn't have Norton preinstalled.
Guess what, they all have it. I was in the market (and chose to stick with
current system) and couldn't find one without Norton. You should have seen
the looks I got when I asked if the sytems were available without it. "Huh,
what?" is the response I got in all cases. I just told them I wanted a good
AV. "Huh, what, but it's Norton" they said as I thanked them for their
time.

Off to surf on the Stable, Reliable, Nortonless WinME OS.

Have a great day.

KB

KB wrote:
> Agree, Rick. Try buying a system that doesn't have Norton preinstalled.
> Guess what, they all have it. I was in the market (and chose to stick with
> current system) and couldn't find one without Norton. You should have seen
> the looks I got when I asked if the sytems were available without it. "Huh,
> what?" is the response I got in all cases. I just told them I wanted a good
> AV. "Huh, what, but it's Norton" they said as I thanked them for their
> time.

yeah, after berating several virus-laden relatives for not bothering to
install security stuff since the last time they came to me, they've
banded together and all installed Norton, still not bothering to go to
the links I've provided for the good stuff.

Rick

> Off to surf on the Stable, Reliable, Nortonless WinME OS.
>
> Have a great day.
>
> KB
> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>MissNascar38 wrote:
>>
>>>In Windows ME, can some of the system tools be turned off??? I would
>
> like to
>
>>>turn off the Disk Cleanup, Disk Defragmenter, and Scan Disk.
>>
>>Since none of those work automatically and you have to click on them to
>>run them there is no reason to "turn them off". But, if you have them
>>set to run as Scheduled Tasks and you wish them not to then change the
>>Scheduling.
>>

>>>I run Norton
>>>SystemWorks, and it runs the same programs.
>>
>>The *same* programs or programs which reportedly do the same thing?
>>

>>>I really like the Norton program
>>>better.
>>
>><shrug> I'm not a big fan of Norton; what they do is buy up other
>>companies' programs and some of their programs cause problems under
>>Windows Millenium despite their claims to the contrary.
>>
>>I kinda think its a waste to have two programs running the same
>>
>>>checks.
>>
>>Again, no reason to "turn them off". If you like you can delete them or
>>their shortcuts so you don't accidentally click on them (?)
>>

>>>Thanks!!! =0)
>>
>>np; regarding another post of yours though, Windows Millenium is
>>actually the stable component; it's almost certainly NSW that's causing
>>crashes; Norton didn't bother to modify their 9x stuff to work under
>>WindowsME.
>>

>>Rick

KB

It's hard to overcome name recognition, especially when all the vendors are
peddling it <g>.

Oh well, you can lead the user to the solution but you can't make 'em think
<vbg>.

KB

KB wrote:
> It's hard to overcome name recognition, especially when all the vendors are
> peddling it <g>.
>
> Oh well, you can lead the user to the solution but you can't make 'em think
> <vbg>.

I admit to a slight anti-Norton bias; I've never actually forgiven them
for bloating-up-beyond-useability a DOS tool I used to use: PCTools.

But my feelings aside, the practice of buying up other people's work,
while useful in some respects means you don't have the original
programmers around to change things vis-a-vis new requirements (eg:
Norton's vs. WinME's 9x enhancements)

Rick

> KB
> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>KB wrote:
>>
>>>Agree, Rick. Try buying a system that doesn't have Norton preinstalled.
>>>Guess what, they all have it. I was in the market (and chose to stick
>
> with
>
>>>current system) and couldn't find one without Norton. You should have
>
> seen
>
>>>the looks I got when I asked if the sytems were available without it.
>
> "Huh,
>
>>>what?" is the response I got in all cases. I just told them I wanted a
>
> good
>
>>>AV. "Huh, what, but it's Norton" they said as I thanked them for their
>>>time.
>>
>>yeah, after berating several virus-laden relatives for not bothering to
>>install security stuff since the last time they came to me, they've
>>banded together and all installed Norton, still not bothering to go to
>>the links I've provided for the good stuff.
>>

>>Rick
>>

>>>Off to surf on the Stable, Reliable, Nortonless WinME OS.
>>>
>>>Have a great day.
>>>
>>>KB
>>>"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>like to

Shane

You can choose your friends.....

Shane

> KB wrote:
>> Agree, Rick. Try buying a system that doesn't have Norton preinstalled.
>> Guess what, they all have it. I was in the market (and chose to stick
>> with
>> current system) and couldn't find one without Norton. You should have
>> seen
>> the looks I got when I asked if the sytems were available without it.
>> "Huh,
>> what?" is the response I got in all cases. I just told them I wanted a
>> good
>> AV. "Huh, what, but it's Norton" they said as I thanked them for their
>> time.
>
> yeah, after berating several virus-laden relatives for not bothering to
> install security stuff since the last time they came to me, they've banded
> together and all installed Norton, still not bothering to go to the links
> I've provided for the good stuff.
>

> Rick
>

>> Off to surf on the Stable, Reliable, Nortonless WinME OS.
>>
>> Have a great day.
>>
>> KB
>> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>> like to

>>>Since none of those work automatically and you have to click on them to
>>>run them there is no reason to "turn them off". But, if you have them
>>>set to run as Scheduled Tasks and you wish them not to then change the
>>>Scheduling.

>>>The *same* programs or programs which reportedly do the same thing?

>>><shrug> I'm not a big fan of Norton; what they do is buy up other
>>>companies' programs and some of their programs cause problems under
>>>Windows Millenium despite their claims to the contrary.
>>>
>>>I kinda think its a waste to have two programs running the same

>>>Again, no reason to "turn them off". If you like you can delete them or
>>>their shortcuts so you don't accidentally click on them (?)

>>>np; regarding another post of yours though, Windows Millenium is
>>>actually the stable component; it's almost certainly NSW that's causing
>>>crashes; Norton didn't bother to modify their 9x stuff to work under
>>>WindowsME.
>>>

>>>Rick

KB

And, you can lead the user to the solution but you can't make 'em think
<vbg>.

Take care, Shane.

KB

Shane wrote:
> You can choose your friends.....

Well, last time the lot got their OSes trashed I couldn't find my WinME
CD so they could reinstall (miracle of miracles, I've since discovered
where it was hiding) <grin>; I think they're getting by on 98FE, which
AFAIK doesn't cause as many problems. (and I've put a >5k port choke on
the shared router here so questionable P2P's have ceased to be a problem
(shhhhh))

Rick

> Shane
>

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>KB wrote:
>>
>>>Agree, Rick. Try buying a system that doesn't have Norton preinstalled.
>>>Guess what, they all have it. I was in the market (and chose to stick
>>>with
>>>current system) and couldn't find one without Norton. You should have
>>>seen
>>>the looks I got when I asked if the sytems were available without it.
>>>"Huh,
>>>what?" is the response I got in all cases. I just told them I wanted a
>>>good
>>>AV. "Huh, what, but it's Norton" they said as I thanked them for their
>>>time.
>>
>>yeah, after berating several virus-laden relatives for not bothering to
>>install security stuff since the last time they came to me, they've banded
>>together and all installed Norton, still not bothering to go to the links
>>I've provided for the good stuff.
>>

>>Rick
>>

>>>Off to surf on the Stable, Reliable, Nortonless WinME OS.
>>>
>>>Have a great day.
>>>
>>>KB
>>>"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>like to

Not quite all OEMs push Norton but I agree that many do. For example I've
just bought a new Toshiba Portege M300 PEN laptop and this comes with a
"free 90 day trial" of Norton. First thing I did was rip Norton out by
the guts. However one of the alternative machines I was considering
buying comes with a one year subscription to Panda but the OEM thinks
about their users and instead of filling their machines with often useless
junk, provides it on CDs together with the various licences, including in
this case Panda, leaving it for the end user to decide what to install.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:

> Agree, Rick. Try buying a system that doesn't have Norton
> preinstalled. Guess what, they all have it. I was in the market (and
> chose to stick with current system) and couldn't find one without
> Norton. You should have seen the looks I got when I asked if the
> sytems were available without it. "Huh, what?" is the response I got
> in all cases. I just told them I wanted a good AV. "Huh, what, but
> it's Norton" they said as I thanked them for their time.
>
> Off to surf on the Stable, Reliable, Nortonless WinME OS.
>
> Have a great day.

Shane

lol!

You too, mate.

Shane

"KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> And, you can lead the user to the solution but you can't make 'em think
> <vbg>.
>
> Take care, Shane.
>
> KB
> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> You can choose your friends.....
>>
>> Shane
>>

>> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> preinstalled.
>> >
>> > yeah, after berating several virus-laden relatives for not bothering to
>> > install security stuff since the last time they came to me, they've
> banded
>> > together and all installed Norton, still not bothering to go to the
> links
>> > I've provided for the good stuff.
>> >

>> > Rick

> or

Shane

*They* could re-install!!!

Luxury! I'd give anything to have relatives who could re-install! When I
were't' lad............

Shane

> Shane wrote:
>> You can choose your friends.....
>
> Well, last time the lot got their OSes trashed I couldn't find my WinME CD
> so they could reinstall (miracle of miracles, I've since discovered where
> it was hiding) <grin>; I think they're getting by on 98FE, which AFAIK
> doesn't cause as many problems. (and I've put a >5k port choke on the
> shared router here so questionable P2P's have ceased to be a problem
> (shhhhh))
>

> Rick
>

>> Shane
>>

>> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>yeah, after berating several virus-laden relatives for not bothering to
>>>install security stuff since the last time they came to me, they've
>>>banded together and all installed Norton, still not bothering to go to
>>>the links I've provided for the good stuff.
>>>

>>>Rick

Took years of noting loudly that they weren't following my advice so I
wasn't going to find the time to help, to get them that far.

Rick