Speed up a 3.5" floppy drive?

I hate having a 3.5" floppy drive, especially the slow read/write
access, and I hate the clutter of the disks themselves. (I hate to
admit that I still have a 5.25" floppy drive in one system and a few
of those disks too...)

However, I have an older Sony Mavica digital camera that writes
directly onto 3.5" floppies. Until I can afford to get rid of that
thing (see OT comments below), I have to continue using my PC's 3.5"
floppy drive to unload photos. That is a slow and troublesome process.

According to the documentation, the Mavica uses a sped-up "4X" floppy
drive inside the camera. So if the technology exists inside a
camera, maybe it's available for a regular drive in a PC... Does
anyone have any info about either speeding up an existing floppy
drive, such as by tweaking some (unknown-to-me) configuration
options, or about 4X (or faster) drives for PC use?

<ot: topic="camera-prattling">
I'm really hoping to buy a Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7D to go with my
existing Maxxum 7, but at ~$1600 it's well out of my price range for
now. I'm also trying to "win" a Canon PowerShot S1 IS through one of
those sites where you complete an offer and get friends to do the
same, like the free IPod sites, but that's been a dead end because
I've completed *two* offers and not received credit for either one...
{sigh}
</ot>

--
Stuart Whitmore (usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com, sans -bounce)
Science fiction, politics, pretty models, & more:

Philo

"S. Whitmore" <usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com> wrote in message
>I hate having a 3.5" floppy drive, especially the slow read/write access,
>and I hate the clutter of the disks themselves. (I hate to admit that I
>still have a 5.25" floppy drive in one system and a few of those disks
>too...)
>
> However, I have an older Sony Mavica digital camera that writes directly
> onto 3.5" floppies. Until I can afford to get rid of that thing (see OT
> comments below), I have to continue using my PC's 3.5" floppy drive to
> unload photos. That is a slow and troublesome process.
>
> According to the documentation, the Mavica uses a sped-up "4X" floppy
> drive inside the camera. So if the technology exists inside a camera,
> maybe it's available for a regular drive in a PC... Does anyone have any
> info about either speeding up an existing floppy drive, such as by
> tweaking some (unknown-to-me) configuration options, or about 4X (or
> faster) drives for PC use?
>
> <ot: topic="camera-prattling">
> I'm really hoping to buy a Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7D to go with my existing
> Maxxum 7, but at ~$1600 it's well out of my price range for now. I'm also
> trying to "win" a Canon PowerShot S1 IS through one of those sites where
> you complete an offer and get friends to do the same, like the free IPod
> sites, but that's been a dead end because I've completed *two* offers and
> not received credit for either one...
> {sigh}
> </ot>

yep those floppies are slow...
but even a 4x increase would still be slow...
you really need a compact flash type camera...
i use a canon eos digital rebel...
the price is right and it does a great job for me

btw: my backup machine stil has a 5.25 floppy drive...
just in case i need it :)

"S. Whitmore" <usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com> wrote:

>I hate having a 3.5" floppy drive, especially the slow read/write
>access, and I hate the clutter of the disks themselves. (I hate to
>admit that I still have a 5.25" floppy drive in one system and a few
>of those disks too...)
>
>However, I have an older Sony Mavica digital camera that writes
>directly onto 3.5" floppies. Until I can afford to get rid of that
>thing (see OT comments below), I have to continue using my PC's 3.5"
>floppy drive to unload photos. That is a slow and troublesome process.
>
>According to the documentation, the Mavica uses a sped-up "4X" floppy
>drive inside the camera. So if the technology exists inside a
>camera, maybe it's available for a regular drive in a PC... Does
>anyone have any info about either speeding up an existing floppy
>drive, such as by tweaking some (unknown-to-me) configuration
>options, or about 4X (or faster) drives for PC use?

Back when backups were small, there was the 120mb LS120 "Super Disk"
that did a terrible job of competing with Zip drives. The advantage
the LS120 drive had was that it also wrote to 1.44 floppies, and did
it at a faster speed than normal.

If you can find one of the drives cheap it may be worth a try. They
came as IDE internal or USB. The USB had a small following from iMac
users that could not let go of the floppy - they were offered in the
matching iFruit colors.

Panasonic had a digital camera that used the LS120, too.
--
"A Sound Mind. A Healthy Body. Pick One" Mr. Hedge

papa

Forget speed. Floppy drives are simply slow. If you want to deal with
digital photography, and do it efficiently, you need to upgrade your
equipment.

Papa wrote:
> Forget speed. Floppy drives are simply slow. If you want to deal with
> digital photography, and do it efficiently, you need to upgrade your
> equipment.

No argument there, but as I said in my original post, I can't do that
yet. (Not on my personal budget, at least.) So if there's a way to
make life a little easier until I *can* upgrade, then I'd like to do
so. Writing a Perl script that semi-automated offloading the disks
was one (free) step that has paid off. Increasing the PC floppy
drive speed would be another step, thus my inquiry about whether it's
possible. I didn't say it was a "good" option or even an alternative
to upgrading. (It's only a 1.3MP camera anyway, with a fixed lens,
so an upgrade is overdue even without the slow transfer. Not
surprisingly, though, advances in technology don't imply advances in
my financial condition.)

--

Justice Gustine wrote:
> Back when backups were small, there was the 120mb LS120 "Super Disk"
> that did a terrible job of competing with Zip drives. The advantage
> the LS120 drive had was that it also wrote to 1.44 floppies, and did
> it at a faster speed than normal.

Interesting, I had forgotten about those drives. That might be worth
a try, thanks for the idea!

--
Stuart Whitmore (usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com, sans -bounce)
Science fiction, politics, pretty models, & more:
http://www.just-stuart.com/

Phisherman

Floppy drives are not in demand anymore. I would transfer all data to
CDs or DVDs, and just use floppies for the camera. I assume you
typically have several floppies to transfer to your PC after using
your camera. You could install another floppy drive (~$10) to get 2X
the transfer rate.

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:40:22 GMT, "S. Whitmore"

S. Whitmore wrote:
> Papa wrote:
>> Forget speed. Floppy drives are simply slow. If you want to deal with
>> digital photography, and do it efficiently, you need to upgrade your
>> equipment.
>
> No argument there, but as I said in my original post, I can't do that
> yet. (Not on my personal budget, at least.) So if there's a way to
> make life a little easier until I *can* upgrade, then I'd like to do
> so. Writing a Perl script that semi-automated offloading the disks
> was one (free) step that has paid off. Increasing the PC floppy
> drive speed would be another step, thus my inquiry about whether it's
> possible. I didn't say it was a "good" option or even an alternative
> to upgrading. (It's only a 1.3MP camera anyway, with a fixed lens,
> so an upgrade is overdue even without the slow transfer. Not
> surprisingly, though, advances in technology don't imply advances in
> my financial condition.)

price of a superdisk etc etc probably isn't far off that of a cheap digi
camera that writes to smart media.
however, there used to exist a device that looked like a floppy with a smart
media card inside it. camera writes to this "floppy" and then you can take
the card out and put it in a normal PC cardreader. It might have been fuji
that made it, try ebay...
ric

Ric wrote:
> price of a superdisk etc etc probably isn't far off that of a cheap digi
> camera that writes to smart media.

From what I've seen, a used SuperDisk drive on eBay will be about
the same price as what I paid for my daughter's digital camera, and I
wouldn't buy another of those. The old Mavica has much better
features, better image quality, better user interface, and a more
solid body. The $40-range digital cameras I've seen and used barely
qualify as toys.

> however, there used to exist a device that looked like a floppy with a smart
> media card inside it. camera writes to this "floppy" and then you can take
> the card out and put it in a normal PC cardreader. It might have been fuji
> that made it, try ebay...

Oh yeah, I do vaguely remember those. Hmm, might try that if I can
find one cheap enough...

--
Stuart Whitmore (usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com, sans -bounce)
Science fiction, politics, pretty models, & more:
http://www.just-stuart.com/

traumerei

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2005

S. Whitmore wrote:
> I hate having a 3.5" floppy drive, especially the slow read/write
> access, and I hate the clutter of the disks themselves. (I hate to
> admit that I still have a 5.25" floppy drive in one system and a few
> of those disks too...)
>
> However, I have an older Sony Mavica digital camera that writes
> directly onto 3.5" floppies. Until I can afford to get rid of that
> thing (see OT comments below), I have to continue using my PC's 3.5"
> floppy drive to unload photos. That is a slow and troublesome
process.

> According to the documentation, the Mavica uses a sped-up "4X" floppy

> drive inside the camera. So if the technology exists inside a
> camera, maybe it's available for a regular drive in a PC... Does
> anyone have any info about either speeding up an existing floppy
> drive, such as by tweaking some (unknown-to-me) configuration
> options, or about 4X (or faster) drives for PC use?
>
> <ot: topic="camera-prattling">
> I'm really hoping to buy a Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7D to go with my
> existing Maxxum 7, but at ~$1600 it's well out of my price range for
> now. I'm also trying to "win" a Canon PowerShot S1 IS through one of

> those sites where you complete an offer and get friends to do the
> same, like the free IPod sites, but that's been a dead end because
> I've completed *two* offers and not received credit for either one...
> {sigh}
> </ot>
>
> --
> Stuart Whitmore (usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com, sans -bounce)
> Science fiction, politics, pretty models, & more:
> http://www.just-stuart.com/

Y-E Data makes a USB floppy drive that reads and writes four times
faster than a regular drive. Of course, that implies that you have USB
:)

http://www.yedata.com/products/floppydrives/usb4x.shtml

<traumerei@gmail.com> wrote in message

> S. Whitmore wrote:
>> I hate having a 3.5" floppy drive, especially the slow read/write
>> access, and I hate the clutter of the disks themselves. (I hate to
>> admit that I still have a 5.25" floppy drive in one system and a few
>> of those disks too...)
>>
>> However, I have an older Sony Mavica digital camera that writes
>> directly onto 3.5" floppies. Until I can afford to get rid of that
>> thing (see OT comments below), I have to continue using my PC's 3.5"
>> floppy drive to unload photos. That is a slow and troublesome
> process.
>>
>> According to the documentation, the Mavica uses a sped-up "4X" floppy
>
>> drive inside the camera. So if the technology exists inside a
>> camera, maybe it's available for a regular drive in a PC... Does
>> anyone have any info about either speeding up an existing floppy
>> drive, such as by tweaking some (unknown-to-me) configuration
>> options, or about 4X (or faster) drives for PC use?
>>
>> <ot: topic="camera-prattling">
>> I'm really hoping to buy a Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7D to go with my
>> existing Maxxum 7, but at ~$1600 it's well out of my price range for
>> now. I'm also trying to "win" a Canon PowerShot S1 IS through one of
>
>> those sites where you complete an offer and get friends to do the
>> same, like the free IPod sites, but that's been a dead end because
>> I've completed *two* offers and not received credit for either one...
>> {sigh}
>> </ot>
>>
>> --
>> Stuart Whitmore (usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com, sans -bounce)
>> Science fiction, politics, pretty models, & more:
>> http://www.just-stuart.com/
>
> Y-E Data makes a USB floppy drive that reads and writes four times
> faster than a regular drive. Of course, that implies that you have USB
> :)
>
> http://www.yedata.com/products/floppydrives/usb4x.shtml

Or you can try getting your hands on an LS-120 SuperDisk drive :)