acrored

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 28, 2005 3:34:50 AM

I have this annoying program running in the background.

I'm using "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe".

How shall I configure it to not leave acrored running in the background?

KB

More about : acrored

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 12:33:48 PM

This is your Adobe Acrobat Reader. v4 dates back to the time of Noah. <g>
The most recent version is v7 but that doesn't run on Win Me, so may I
suggest you look for and install either v5 or v6 of this program.
Personally I found that some of the version 6 variants of the Acrobat
reader also didn't properly exit so you may want to see if you can find a
copy of the v5 Acrobat Reader. Alternatively start by uninstalling and
reinstalling the version you have at present as that may be enough to fix
the problem you are seeing.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:

> I have this annoying program running in the background.
>
> I'm using "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe".
>
> How shall I configure it to not leave acrored running in the
> background?
>
> KB
May 28, 2005 12:33:49 PM

You'll find several old versions of Acrobat Reader here
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/adobe/reader/win/5.x/

Good luck.
BarryG

"Mike M" wrote:

> This is your Adobe Acrobat Reader. v4 dates back to the time of Noah. <g>
> The most recent version is v7 but that doesn't run on Win Me, so may I
> suggest you look for and install either v5 or v6 of this program.
> Personally I found that some of the version 6 variants of the Acrobat
> reader also didn't properly exit so you may want to see if you can find a
> copy of the v5 Acrobat Reader. Alternatively start by uninstalling and
> reinstalling the version you have at present as that may be enough to fix
> the problem you are seeing.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:
>
> > I have this annoying program running in the background.
> >
> > I'm using "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe".
> >
> > How shall I configure it to not leave acrored running in the
> > background?
> >
> > KB

May 28, 2005 2:05:02 PM

Thanks, Mike.

I thought there was a tweak in the setup that would fix this. I saw
instructions to do it on later versions than v4
but they didn't match what I have.

I'll give v5 a try should I continue to experience this. Then I'll be like
Noah, two of every animal and two versions of acrobat.

Thanks again.

KB
> This is your Adobe Acrobat Reader. v4 dates back to the time of Noah. <g>
> The most recent version is v7 but that doesn't run on Win Me, so may I
> suggest you look for and install either v5 or v6 of this program.
> Personally I found that some of the version 6 variants of the Acrobat
> reader also didn't properly exit so you may want to see if you can find a
> copy of the v5 Acrobat Reader. Alternatively start by uninstalling and
> reinstalling the version you have at present as that may be enough to fix
> the problem you are seeing.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:
>
> > I have this annoying program running in the background.
> >
> > I'm using "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe".
> >
> > How shall I configure it to not leave acrored running in the
> > background?
> >
> > KB

May 28, 2005 2:05:21 PM

Thanks for the link, Barry.

KB
"BarryG" <BarryG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You'll find several old versions of Acrobat Reader here
> http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/adobe/reader/win/5.x/
>
> Good luck.
> BarryG
>
> "Mike M" wrote:
>
> > This is your Adobe Acrobat Reader. v4 dates back to the time of Noah.
<g>
> > The most recent version is v7 but that doesn't run on Win Me, so may I
> > suggest you look for and install either v5 or v6 of this program.
> > Personally I found that some of the version 6 variants of the Acrobat
> > reader also didn't properly exit so you may want to see if you can find
> > copy of the v5 Acrobat Reader. Alternatively start by uninstalling and
> > reinstalling the version you have at present as that may be enough to
fix
> > the problem you are seeing.
> > --
> > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> > mike.maltby@gmail.com
> >

> > KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:
> >
> > > I have this annoying program running in the background.
> > >
> > > I'm using "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe".
> > >
> > > How shall I configure it to not leave acrored running in the
> > > background?
> > >
> > > KB

May 28, 2005 3:01:51 PM

There are several early version on Old Version.....

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=acrobat

Heather

"BarryG" <BarryG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You'll find several old versions of Acrobat Reader here
> http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/adobe/reader/win/5.x/
>
> Good luck.
> BarryG
>
> "Mike M" wrote:
>
> > This is your Adobe Acrobat Reader. v4 dates back to the time of Noah.
<g>
> > The most recent version is v7 but that doesn't run on Win Me, so may I
> > suggest you look for and install either v5 or v6 of this program.
> > Personally I found that some of the version 6 variants of the Acrobat
> > reader also didn't properly exit so you may want to see if you can find
> > copy of the v5 Acrobat Reader. Alternatively start by uninstalling and
> > reinstalling the version you have at present as that may be enough to
fix
> > the problem you are seeing.
> > --
> > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> > mike.maltby@gmail.com
> >

> > KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:
> >
> > > I have this annoying program running in the background.
> > >
> > > I'm using "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe".
> > >
> > > How shall I configure it to not leave acrored running in the
> > > background?
> > >
> > > KB

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 8:29:32 PM

Rather than being like Noah I'd uninstall v4 before installing v5. :-)

Best of luck,
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:

> Thanks, Mike.
>
> I thought there was a tweak in the setup that would fix this. I saw
> instructions to do it on later versions than v4
> but they didn't match what I have.
>
> I'll give v5 a try should I continue to experience this. Then I'll
> be like Noah, two of every animal and two versions of acrobat.
>
> Thanks again.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 2:36:39 PM

FWIW, I've had no trouble running Reader 6.0x here. IIRC, the version 6
installation detects any previous installation and offers (and strongly
recommends) to uninstall the earlier version.

Once you have Reader running fine, you may wish to utilize the fine Reader
Speedup, to disable many of the plug-in loads:

ADOBE READER SPEED-UP V1.32
Author : Joseph Cox
Website : http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk
Forum : http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/forum