acrored

I have this annoying program running in the background.

I'm using "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe".

How shall I configure it to not leave acrored running in the background?

KB
7 answers Last reply
More about acrored

    This is your Adobe Acrobat Reader. v4 dates back to the time of Noah. <g>
    The most recent version is v7 but that doesn't run on Win Me, so may I
    suggest you look for and install either v5 or v6 of this program.
    Personally I found that some of the version 6 variants of the Acrobat
    reader also didn't properly exit so you may want to see if you can find a
    copy of the v5 Acrobat Reader. Alternatively start by uninstalling and
    reinstalling the version you have at present as that may be enough to fix
    the problem you are seeing.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:

    > I have this annoying program running in the background.
    >
    > I'm using "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe".
    >
    > How shall I configure it to not leave acrored running in the
    > background?
    >
    > KB

    You'll find several old versions of Acrobat Reader here
    http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/adobe/reader/win/5.x/

    Good luck.
    BarryG

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > This is your Adobe Acrobat Reader. v4 dates back to the time of Noah. <g>
    > The most recent version is v7 but that doesn't run on Win Me, so may I
    > suggest you look for and install either v5 or v6 of this program.
    > Personally I found that some of the version 6 variants of the Acrobat
    > reader also didn't properly exit so you may want to see if you can find a
    > copy of the v5 Acrobat Reader. Alternatively start by uninstalling and
    > reinstalling the version you have at present as that may be enough to fix
    > the problem you are seeing.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:
    >
    > > I have this annoying program running in the background.
    > >
    > > I'm using "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe".
    > >
    > > How shall I configure it to not leave acrored running in the
    > > background?
    > >
    > > KB

    Thanks, Mike.

    I thought there was a tweak in the setup that would fix this. I saw
    instructions to do it on later versions than v4
    but they didn't match what I have.

    I'll give v5 a try should I continue to experience this. Then I'll be like
    Noah, two of every animal and two versions of acrobat.

    Thanks again.

    KB
    > This is your Adobe Acrobat Reader. v4 dates back to the time of Noah. <g>
    > The most recent version is v7 but that doesn't run on Win Me, so may I
    > suggest you look for and install either v5 or v6 of this program.
    > Personally I found that some of the version 6 variants of the Acrobat
    > reader also didn't properly exit so you may want to see if you can find a
    > copy of the v5 Acrobat Reader. Alternatively start by uninstalling and
    > reinstalling the version you have at present as that may be enough to fix
    > the problem you are seeing.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:
    >
    > > I have this annoying program running in the background.
    > >
    > > I'm using "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe".
    > >
    > > How shall I configure it to not leave acrored running in the
    > > background?
    > >
    > > KB

    Thanks for the link, Barry.

    KB
    "BarryG" <BarryG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > You'll find several old versions of Acrobat Reader here
    > http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/adobe/reader/win/5.x/
    >
    > Good luck.
    > BarryG
    >
    > "Mike M" wrote:
    >
    > > This is your Adobe Acrobat Reader. v4 dates back to the time of Noah.
    <g>
    > > The most recent version is v7 but that doesn't run on Win Me, so may I
    > > suggest you look for and install either v5 or v6 of this program.
    > > Personally I found that some of the version 6 variants of the Acrobat
    > > reader also didn't properly exit so you may want to see if you can find
    > > copy of the v5 Acrobat Reader. Alternatively start by uninstalling and
    > > reinstalling the version you have at present as that may be enough to
    fix
    > > the problem you are seeing.
    > > --
    > > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    > >

    > > KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have this annoying program running in the background.
    > > >
    > > > I'm using "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe".
    > > >
    > > > How shall I configure it to not leave acrored running in the
    > > > background?
    > > >
    > > > KB

    There are several early version on Old Version.....

    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=acrobat

    Heather

    "BarryG" <BarryG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > You'll find several old versions of Acrobat Reader here
    > http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/adobe/reader/win/5.x/
    >
    > Good luck.
    > BarryG
    >
    > "Mike M" wrote:
    >
    > > This is your Adobe Acrobat Reader. v4 dates back to the time of Noah.
    <g>
    > > The most recent version is v7 but that doesn't run on Win Me, so may I
    > > suggest you look for and install either v5 or v6 of this program.
    > > Personally I found that some of the version 6 variants of the Acrobat
    > > reader also didn't properly exit so you may want to see if you can find
    > > copy of the v5 Acrobat Reader. Alternatively start by uninstalling and
    > > reinstalling the version you have at present as that may be enough to
    fix
    > > the problem you are seeing.
    > > --
    > > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    > >

    > > KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have this annoying program running in the background.
    > > >
    > > > I'm using "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe".
    > > >
    > > > How shall I configure it to not leave acrored running in the
    > > > background?
    > > >
    > > > KB

    Rather than being like Noah I'd uninstall v4 before installing v5. :-)

    Best of luck,
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:

    > Thanks, Mike.
    >
    > I thought there was a tweak in the setup that would fix this. I saw
    > instructions to do it on later versions than v4
    > but they didn't match what I have.
    >
    > I'll give v5 a try should I continue to experience this. Then I'll
    > be like Noah, two of every animal and two versions of acrobat.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    FWIW, I've had no trouble running Reader 6.0x here. IIRC, the version 6
    installation detects any previous installation and offers (and strongly
    recommends) to uninstall the earlier version.

    Once you have Reader running fine, you may wish to utilize the fine Reader
    Speedup, to disable many of the plug-in loads:

    ADOBE READER SPEED-UP V1.32
    ===========================
    Author : Joseph Cox
    Website : http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk
    Forum : http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/forum
    Released: 8th January, 2005.

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    > Rather than being like Noah I'd uninstall v4 before installing v5. :-)
    >
    > Best of luck,
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > KB <KB@discussions.winme> wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks, Mike.
    > >
    > > I thought there was a tweak in the setup that would fix this. I saw
    > > instructions to do it on later versions than v4
    > > but they didn't match what I have.
    > >
    > > I'll give v5 a try should I continue to experience this. Then I'll
    > > be like Noah, two of every animal and two versions of acrobat.
    > >
    > > Thanks again.

Configuration Microsoft Acrobat Windows