lost dll - need to recover then to run windows

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 28, 2005 11:01:02 AM

I messed up installing upgrade to ie6 and ended up with 2 old dlls but i dont
know how to get the new ones. Windows will not run exprorer/desktop and so
cant re-run install. can i do this from do, or find out the dlls and copy
them in dos?
I'm a bit lost here - but it should be easy if i kney where things were!

thanks for any help
can save me re-installing everything perhaps
rob
May 28, 2005 12:00:02 PM

ho ho - Thanks -

Safe mode boots but no way to run any programs as explorer code will not run.
I did not note the dlls that are wrong. But if there was some way to get the
dlls in iesp1 i could copy them from floppy. the download site does not allow
access to that sort of control.

when windows gets messed up you have to start from the beginning - its a
pain in the ###!

rob

"rob" wrote:

> I messed up installing upgrade to ie6 and ended up with 2 old dlls but i dont
> know how to get the new ones. Windows will not run exprorer/desktop and so
> cant re-run install. can i do this from do, or find out the dlls and copy
> them in dos?
> I'm a bit lost here - but it should be easy if i kney where things were!
>
> thanks for any help
> can save me re-installing everything perhaps
> rob
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 2:25:02 PM

If you can boot to Safe Mode, attempt to run the IE6 repair tool in
Add-Remove Programs.
Begin to uninstall IE6, and a window will offer three options, one of which
is to repair.
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"rob" <rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I messed up installing upgrade to ie6 and ended up with 2 old dlls but i
dont
> know how to get the new ones. Windows will not run exprorer/desktop and so
> cant re-run install. can i do this from do, or find out the dlls and copy
> them in dos?
> I'm a bit lost here - but it should be easy if i kney where things were!
>
> thanks for any help
> can save me re-installing everything perhaps
> rob
Related resources
May 28, 2005 2:25:03 PM

Thanks -

I dont think i have got a system restore point unless it did one
automatically.
cant even run explorer/desktop in safe mode. I did not note dlls that are

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> If you can boot to Safe Mode, attempt to run the IE6 repair tool in
> Add-Remove Programs.
> Begin to uninstall IE6, and a window will offer three options, one of which
> is to repair.
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "rob" <rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I messed up installing upgrade to ie6 and ended up with 2 old dlls but i
> dont
> > know how to get the new ones. Windows will not run exprorer/desktop and so
> > cant re-run install. can i do this from do, or find out the dlls and copy
> > them in dos?
> > I'm a bit lost here - but it should be easy if i kney where things were!
> >
> > thanks for any help
> > can save me re-installing everything perhaps
> > rob

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 7:27:48 PM

Rob,

What files do you feel are missing? Knowing some details here would help
those who might be able to help you and also might enable them to tell you
where to locate the missing files and hot to replace them

You could also try running system restore to roll your system back to a
checkpoint prior to the botched upgrade using the following method which
requires you to boot to DOS using your EBD and editing system.ini and
replacing the line
shell=explorer.exe with one reading
shell=C:\windows\system\restore\rstrui.exe
Now remove the EBD and see if you can start Win and boot direct into
System Restore.
For more details see KB 279736 "How to Start the System Restore Tool from
a Command Prompt" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=279736) which
mentions using progman.exe after which you can then locate and run
rstrui.exe however using rstrui.exe as above works equally well.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

rob <rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I messed up installing upgrade to ie6 and ended up with 2 old dlls
> but i dont know how to get the new ones. Windows will not run
> exprorer/desktop and so cant re-run install. can i do this from do,
> or find out the dlls and copy them in dos?
> I'm a bit lost here - but it should be easy if i kney where things
> were!
>
> thanks for any help
> can save me re-installing everything perhaps
> rob
May 28, 2005 7:27:49 PM

Thanks Mike, i did not realise restore gets done automatically, and thanks
for showing me how to run a program without explorer. I will remember that
for future reference.

I'm doing it now - and I am very pleased :)  you have saved me quite a bit of
bother and time.

I should do more of rtfm :)

rob

"Mike M" wrote:

> Rob,
>
> What files do you feel are missing? Knowing some details here would help
> those who might be able to help you and also might enable them to tell you
> where to locate the missing files and hot to replace them
>
> You could also try running system restore to roll your system back to a
> checkpoint prior to the botched upgrade using the following method which
> requires you to boot to DOS using your EBD and editing system.ini and
> replacing the line
> shell=explorer.exe with one reading
> shell=C:\windows\system\restore\rstrui.exe
> Now remove the EBD and see if you can start Win and boot direct into
> System Restore.
> For more details see KB 279736 "How to Start the System Restore Tool from
> a Command Prompt" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=279736) which
> mentions using progman.exe after which you can then locate and run
> rstrui.exe however using rstrui.exe as above works equally well.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> rob <rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I messed up installing upgrade to ie6 and ended up with 2 old dlls
> > but i dont know how to get the new ones. Windows will not run
> > exprorer/desktop and so cant re-run install. can i do this from do,
> > or find out the dlls and copy them in dos?
> > I'm a bit lost here - but it should be easy if i kney where things
> > were!
> >
> > thanks for any help
> > can save me re-installing everything perhaps
> > rob

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 8:27:48 PM

rob <rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thanks -
>
> I dont think i have got a system restore point unless it did one
> automatically.

Until you try you won't know will you? System restore checkpoints should
be created automatically roughly every 10 hours of up time as well as
prior to most installs such as IE6. My earlier post explained a method of
using system restore without having to run explorer.

> cant even run explorer/desktop in safe mode. I did not note dlls that
> are wrong. But if there was some way to get the dlls in iesp1 i could
> copy them from floppy

Until you can tell us the names of the missing dlls there isn't much point
in dwelling on this however I suspect the files you need may already be on
your system, possibly in a cab file, it's just a case of knowing which are
needed.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Rob,

I've my fingers crossed that SR solves the problem for you. I'm also
hoping that you haven't used a really old checkpoint but rather one
created in the last few days.

Not so sure though about RTFM, it's not something I'm known for and most
time don't even have the manual or help files to hand. :-)

Cheers,
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com