lost dll - need to recover then to run windows

I messed up installing upgrade to ie6 and ended up with 2 old dlls but i dont
know how to get the new ones. Windows will not run exprorer/desktop and so
cant re-run install. can i do this from do, or find out the dlls and copy
them in dos?
I'm a bit lost here - but it should be easy if i kney where things were!

thanks for any help
can save me re-installing everything perhaps
rob
7 answers Last reply
More about lost recover windows

    ho ho - Thanks -

    Safe mode boots but no way to run any programs as explorer code will not run.
    I did not note the dlls that are wrong. But if there was some way to get the
    dlls in iesp1 i could copy them from floppy. the download site does not allow
    access to that sort of control.

    when windows gets messed up you have to start from the beginning - its a
    pain in the ###!

    rob

    "rob" wrote:

    > I messed up installing upgrade to ie6 and ended up with 2 old dlls but i dont
    > know how to get the new ones. Windows will not run exprorer/desktop and so
    > cant re-run install. can i do this from do, or find out the dlls and copy
    > them in dos?
    > I'm a bit lost here - but it should be easy if i kney where things were!
    >
    > thanks for any help
    > can save me re-installing everything perhaps
    > rob

    If you can boot to Safe Mode, attempt to run the IE6 repair tool in
    Add-Remove Programs.
    Begin to uninstall IE6, and a window will offer three options, one of which
    is to repair.
    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "rob" <rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I messed up installing upgrade to ie6 and ended up with 2 old dlls but i
    dont
    > know how to get the new ones. Windows will not run exprorer/desktop and so
    > cant re-run install. can i do this from do, or find out the dlls and copy
    > them in dos?
    > I'm a bit lost here - but it should be easy if i kney where things were!
    >
    > thanks for any help
    > can save me re-installing everything perhaps
    > rob

    Thanks -

    I dont think i have got a system restore point unless it did one
    automatically.
    cant even run explorer/desktop in safe mode. I did not note dlls that are

    "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

    > If you can boot to Safe Mode, attempt to run the IE6 repair tool in
    > Add-Remove Programs.
    > Begin to uninstall IE6, and a window will offer three options, one of which
    > is to repair.
    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "rob" <rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I messed up installing upgrade to ie6 and ended up with 2 old dlls but i
    > dont
    > > know how to get the new ones. Windows will not run exprorer/desktop and so
    > > cant re-run install. can i do this from do, or find out the dlls and copy
    > > them in dos?
    > > I'm a bit lost here - but it should be easy if i kney where things were!
    > >
    > > thanks for any help
    > > can save me re-installing everything perhaps
    > > rob

    Rob,

    What files do you feel are missing? Knowing some details here would help
    those who might be able to help you and also might enable them to tell you
    where to locate the missing files and hot to replace them

    You could also try running system restore to roll your system back to a
    checkpoint prior to the botched upgrade using the following method which
    requires you to boot to DOS using your EBD and editing system.ini and
    replacing the line
    shell=explorer.exe with one reading
    shell=C:\windows\system\restore\rstrui.exe
    Now remove the EBD and see if you can start Win and boot direct into
    System Restore.
    For more details see KB 279736 "How to Start the System Restore Tool from
    a Command Prompt" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=279736) which
    mentions using progman.exe after which you can then locate and run
    rstrui.exe however using rstrui.exe as above works equally well.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    rob <rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > I messed up installing upgrade to ie6 and ended up with 2 old dlls
    > but i dont know how to get the new ones. Windows will not run
    > exprorer/desktop and so cant re-run install. can i do this from do,
    > or find out the dlls and copy them in dos?
    > I'm a bit lost here - but it should be easy if i kney where things
    > were!
    >
    > thanks for any help
    > can save me re-installing everything perhaps
    > rob

    Thanks Mike, i did not realise restore gets done automatically, and thanks
    for showing me how to run a program without explorer. I will remember that
    for future reference.

    I'm doing it now - and I am very pleased :) you have saved me quite a bit of
    bother and time.

    I should do more of rtfm :)

    rob

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > Rob,
    >
    > What files do you feel are missing? Knowing some details here would help
    > those who might be able to help you and also might enable them to tell you
    > where to locate the missing files and hot to replace them
    >
    > You could also try running system restore to roll your system back to a
    > checkpoint prior to the botched upgrade using the following method which
    > requires you to boot to DOS using your EBD and editing system.ini and
    > replacing the line
    > shell=explorer.exe with one reading
    > shell=C:\windows\system\restore\rstrui.exe
    > Now remove the EBD and see if you can start Win and boot direct into
    > System Restore.
    > For more details see KB 279736 "How to Start the System Restore Tool from
    > a Command Prompt" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=279736) which
    > mentions using progman.exe after which you can then locate and run
    > rstrui.exe however using rstrui.exe as above works equally well.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > rob <rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I messed up installing upgrade to ie6 and ended up with 2 old dlls
    > > but i dont know how to get the new ones. Windows will not run
    > > exprorer/desktop and so cant re-run install. can i do this from do,
    > > or find out the dlls and copy them in dos?
    > > I'm a bit lost here - but it should be easy if i kney where things
    > > were!
    > >
    > > thanks for any help
    > > can save me re-installing everything perhaps
    > > rob

    rob <rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Thanks -
    >
    > I dont think i have got a system restore point unless it did one
    > automatically.

    Until you try you won't know will you? System restore checkpoints should
    be created automatically roughly every 10 hours of up time as well as
    prior to most installs such as IE6. My earlier post explained a method of
    using system restore without having to run explorer.

    > cant even run explorer/desktop in safe mode. I did not note dlls that
    > are wrong. But if there was some way to get the dlls in iesp1 i could
    > copy them from floppy

    Until you can tell us the names of the missing dlls there isn't much point
    in dwelling on this however I suspect the files you need may already be on
    your system, possibly in a cab file, it's just a case of knowing which are
    needed.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Rob,

    I've my fingers crossed that SR solves the problem for you. I'm also
    hoping that you haven't used a really old checkpoint but rather one
    created in the last few days.

    Not so sure though about RTFM, it's not something I'm known for and most
    time don't even have the manual or help files to hand. :-)

    Cheers,
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    rob <rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Thanks Mike, i did not realise restore gets done automatically, and
    > thanks for showing me how to run a program without explorer. I will
    > remember that for future reference.
    >
    > I'm doing it now - and I am very pleased :) you have saved me quite a
    > bit of bother and time.
    >
    > I should do more of rtfm :)

Windows