Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

LCD industry cannot make 16- ms response time for 19+ in LCD

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2005 9:42:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.

Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
make it.

When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2005 9:42:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

angry wrote:

> LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
> ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.
>
> Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
> 19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
> make it.

How about a Samsung with a response time of 8ms?

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_pro...

> When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.

I generally feel you're right here, but because of different reasons. LCD's
cannot display certain colors properly, they often have dead pixels, and
the picture quality is inferior to a CRT. LCD's also cost an arm and a leg
compared to a good CRT. However, I think the CRT market is just about over.
LCD's will be the only monitors available before long.


--

Registered Linux user #378193
February 12, 2005 9:42:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

4.2 second google response time returned 16,000 hits for LCD's 19 16ms

why would you rant something without just a 'wee bit' of research?


"angry" <angry@lcd.com> wrote in message
news:1fjs01loq0vi6k72t3l77k2hacrdmrvl7v@4ax.com...
> LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
> ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.
>
> Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
> 19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
> make it.
>
> When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2005 9:42:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <1fjs01loq0vi6k72t3l77k2hacrdmrvl7v@4ax.com>, angry@lcd.com
says...

>Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
>19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
>make it.


I have a 19 inch VueSonic VX910 LCD that is 16 ms.
February 12, 2005 9:42:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
news:vRsPd.33467$y83.28785@fe37.usenetserver.com...
> angry wrote:
>
> > LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
> > ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.
> >
> > Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
> > 19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
> > make it.
>
> How about a Samsung with a response time of 8ms?
>
>
http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_pro...
>
> > When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.
>
> I generally feel you're right here, but because of different reasons.
LCD's
> cannot display certain colors properly, they often have dead pixels, and
> the picture quality is inferior to a CRT. LCD's also cost an arm and a leg
> compared to a good CRT.

However, I think the CRT market is just about over.
> LCD's will be the only monitors available before long.

you sorta contradicted yourself there "cannot display certain colors
properly"

no more CRT's? Not for awhile, CRT / color profiles is the best way to
produce superior color corrected graphics for printer output.
> --
>
> Registered Linux user #378193
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2005 9:42:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> no more CRT's? Not for awhile, CRT / color profiles is the best way to
> produce superior color corrected graphics for printer output.

It depends. There ARE graphic-grade and video-grade LCDs, but what
happens most often is people see a 17" LCD for $5400 and wonder why they
should pay that when there's another one with similar specs for $250.
Then they buy the cheap one and are convinced you can't get decent
color-matching on LCDs.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2005 10:20:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

hmmm, i guess my 20" sharp with 16ms response time was shipped from some
distant alternate future.

"angry" <angry@lcd.com> wrote in message
news:1fjs01loq0vi6k72t3l77k2hacrdmrvl7v@4ax.com...
> LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
> ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.
>
> Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
> 19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
> make it.
>
> When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2005 10:26:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

and the (9) 19" and (2) 20.1" with 16ms, availabe at www.newegg.com must all
come from the same supplier.


"wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:IFsPd.29884$by5.11938@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
> hmmm, i guess my 20" sharp with 16ms response time was shipped from some
> distant alternate future.
>
> "angry" <angry@lcd.com> wrote in message
> news:1fjs01loq0vi6k72t3l77k2hacrdmrvl7v@4ax.com...
> > LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
> > ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.
> >
> > Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
> > 19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
> > make it.
> >
> > When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2005 10:26:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

>>hmmm, i guess my 20" sharp with 16ms response time was shipped from some
>>distant alternate future.
>>
>>"angry" <angry@lcd.com> wrote in message
>>news:1fjs01loq0vi6k72t3l77k2hacrdmrvl7v@4ax.com...
>>
>>>LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
>>>ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.
>>>
>>>Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
>>>19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
>>>make it.
>>>
>>>When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.

Apple makes a _30"_ LCD with 16 ms response.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2005 10:26:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

>
> Apple makes a _30"_ LCD with 16 ms response.

Too bad you can't connect that puppy to a computer. -Dave
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2005 10:26:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Dave C. wrote:
>>Apple makes a _30"_ LCD with 16 ms response.
>
>
> Too bad you can't connect that puppy to a computer. -Dave

You're right. I guess the people who buy them use them as folding
tables for laundry.
February 12, 2005 10:26:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"o-chan" <poda@REMOVEmac.com> wrote in message
news:culrpd$fg3$1@netnews.upenn.edu...
> Dave C. wrote:
> >>Apple makes a _30"_ LCD with 16 ms response.
> >
> >
> > Too bad you can't connect that puppy to a computer. -Dave
>
> You're right. I guess the people who buy them use them as folding
> tables for laundry.

the puppy or the LCD?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2005 11:02:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"angry" <angry@lcd.com> wrote in message
news:1fjs01loq0vi6k72t3l77k2hacrdmrvl7v@4ax.com...
> LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
> ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.
>
> Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
> 19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
> make it.
>
> When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.

Have a look at the Philips 190S5FG, 12 ms, analog input
www.philips.com

Gr. Jan
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2005 12:46:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

This 19" LCD Acer has been sitting in front of me for a month now with 16
ms response time, no dead pixels, and decent color matching. It came with a
3 year warranty and the price is one of the cheapest currently on the
market.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?descripti...



I'll bet the original poster makes LCDs and wanted to drum up some business
for the market.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
or
jalter@phila.k12.pa.us
"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
news:AQtPd.9060$q22.5285@fe06.lga...
> 4.2 second google response time returned 16,000 hits for LCD's 19 16ms
>
> why would you rant something without just a 'wee bit' of research?
>
>
> "angry" <angry@lcd.com> wrote in message
> news:1fjs01loq0vi6k72t3l77k2hacrdmrvl7v@4ax.com...
>> LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
>> ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.
>>
>> Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
>> 19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
>> make it.
>>
>> When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2005 3:20:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Thanks for all the models you suggested. It beats me doing
the research.

I've looked up all the models you suggested. The two I like
the most are 19 inch Sony SDM-HS94. It has a response time
of 12ms. Samsung 193P has 16mm. The thing turns me off is
that both has a dot pitch of .294mm.

Not sure about ViewSonic VX910 as its spec at many sites
including viewsonic.com doesn't mention its dot pitch.
Otherwise, none of the 19" LCD has a better dot pitch than
..294mm, which is large. If you got one of these models,
look at your screen closely to see each dot.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2005 5:36:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <aj6t015jqse5n5mbip8euoo117ruph5vli@4ax.com>, angry@lcd.com
says...
>
>Not sure about ViewSonic VX910 as its spec at many sites
>including viewsonic.com doesn't mention its dot pitch.
>Otherwise, none of the 19" LCD has a better dot pitch than
>.294mm, which is large. If you got one of these models,
>look at your screen closely to see each dot.


Your thinking is still screwed up.

Dot Pitch is a specification of CRT monitors, about the spacing of the
phosphor dots. This dot pitch spacing is unlikely to match the screen
signal size in pixels. There is no possible alignment between phosphor
dots and signal pixels on a CRT monitor, and this causes fuzziness. Each
signal pixel necessarily straddles a couple of phosphor dots.

LCD monitors are digital. If the display size is 1280x1024 pixels,
then that spacing also is the dot pitch, by definition. There is no
other way to look at it. If the screen size signal matches this diplay
size (if both are 1280x1024 pixels), then it absolutely must be an 100%
perfect alignment match. Then there is no other choice possible except
perfect alignment.

This is why the LCD display shows tiny text with so much greater clarity
than is possible for CRT monitors. However the LCD color accuracy is
likely not as good as a CRT (but they are getting better).
!