Minimum RAM spec for windowsme?

I recently put windowsme on my old laptop as I wanted it to run some new
software. Unfortunately the laptop is old and the RAM is only 64MB, so the
laptop runs very slowly. What is the minimum RAM that I should have?

How easy is it to upgrade a Dell laptop? I have no computer knowledge, but
can i just buy extra memory on laptop and just plug it in?

Peter
12 answers Last reply
More about minimum spec windowsme

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > I recently put windowsme on my old laptop as I wanted it to run some new
    > software. Unfortunately the laptop is old and the RAM is only 64MB, so the
    > laptop runs very slowly. What is the minimum RAM that I should have?

    I'd say 128 minimum 256-384 much better (sweet spot), 512 a bit of overkill.

    > How easy is it to upgrade a Dell laptop? I have no computer knowledge, but
    > can i just buy extra memory on laptop and just plug it in?

    no idea, you tried Dell's website?

    Rick

    "Peter Brown" <peter@brown9322.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >I recently put windowsme on my old laptop as I wanted it to run some new
    >software. Unfortunately the laptop is old and the RAM is only 64MB, so the
    >laptop runs very slowly. What is the minimum RAM that I should have?
    >
    >How easy is it to upgrade a Dell laptop? I have no computer knowledge, but
    >can i just buy extra memory on laptop and just plug it in?
    >
    >Peter

    Go to www.crucial.com and check out the memory upgrades for your
    specific Dell laptop model. If Crucial does not list memory for your
    machine (they have dropped some of the older, less popular, RAM
    modules) then try www.kingston.com

    Before installing more RAM use the System Monitor utility that comes
    with Windows and use Edit - Add to set it to track "Memory manager:
    Swap file in use" for several days of normal to heavy usage. If "Swap
    file in use" regularly shows as 20 mb or more then the swap file is
    being used extensively and more memory would result in improved
    performance. Otherwise it is not likely to make any noticeable
    difference.

    This applies regardless of how much or how little RAM is currently
    installed in the computer.

    There is a configuration setting that needs to be entered if you are
    going above 512 mb of RAM with Windows 95/98/Me and there are possible
    hardware related problems that can occur with more than 1 gb of RAM
    with these Windows versions.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    >Peter Brown wrote:
    >> I recently put windowsme on my old laptop as I wanted it to run some new
    >> software. Unfortunately the laptop is old and the RAM is only 64MB, so the
    >> laptop runs very slowly. What is the minimum RAM that I should have?
    >
    >I'd say 128 minimum 256-384 much better (sweet spot), 512 a bit of overkill.

    No such thing as a "sweet spot" amount of RAM for Windows.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    64MB should run Win ME reasonably well - if not terribly fast.
    What's the rest of the spec?

    You need to research the RAM addition carefully - Dell have a nasty
    reputation for using proprietary hardware, and you may have to pay
    exorbitant prices for RAM from them.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > 64MB should run Win ME reasonably well - if not terribly fast.
    > What's the rest of the spec?
    >
    > You need to research the RAM addition carefully - Dell have a nasty
    > reputation for using proprietary hardware, and you may have to pay
    > exorbitant prices for RAM from them.

    You are so right, Noel, about Dell and its proprietary innards. Four years
    ago I bought a large (at the time) Dell desktop with 512 MB RDRAM. Since
    then I have learned that although there are supposed to be significant
    advantages to the Rambus DRAM, nobody apparently makes them any more and
    nothing else can be satisfactorily substituted.

    Ken Bland

    But once i find this memory, just how hard is it for a novice to fit the
    extra memory in?

    > "Peter Brown" <peter@brown9322.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > >I recently put windowsme on my old laptop as I wanted it to run some new
    > >software. Unfortunately the laptop is old and the RAM is only 64MB, so
    the
    > >laptop runs very slowly. What is the minimum RAM that I should have?
    > >
    > >How easy is it to upgrade a Dell laptop? I have no computer knowledge,
    but
    > >can i just buy extra memory on laptop and just plug it in?
    > >
    > >Peter
    > >

    > Go to www.crucial.com and check out the memory upgrades for your
    > specific Dell laptop model. If Crucial does not list memory for your
    > machine (they have dropped some of the older, less popular, RAM
    > modules) then try www.kingston.com
    >
    > Before installing more RAM use the System Monitor utility that comes
    > with Windows and use Edit - Add to set it to track "Memory manager:
    > Swap file in use" for several days of normal to heavy usage. If "Swap
    > file in use" regularly shows as 20 mb or more then the swap file is
    > being used extensively and more memory would result in improved
    > performance. Otherwise it is not likely to make any noticeable
    > difference.
    >
    > This applies regardless of how much or how little RAM is currently
    > installed in the computer.
    >
    > There is a configuration setting that needs to be entered if you are
    > going above 512 mb of RAM with Windows 95/98/Me and there are possible
    > hardware related problems that can occur with more than 1 gb of RAM
    > with these Windows versions.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    It shouldn't take more than about 5 minutes - and a small screwdriver.

    --

    Ron Martell wrote:
    > Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Peter Brown wrote:
    >>
    >>>I recently put windowsme on my old laptop as I wanted it to run some new
    >>>software. Unfortunately the laptop is old and the RAM is only 64MB, so the
    >>>laptop runs very slowly. What is the minimum RAM that I should have?
    >>
    >>I'd say 128 minimum 256-384 much better (sweet spot), 512 a bit of overkill.
    >>

    > No such thing as a "sweet spot" amount of RAM for Windows.

    A couple different tests on independent websites (too lazy to look them
    up now); upshot is vast improvements up to 256MB, some improvement
    between 256-384MB, very little/none between 384-512MB

    Rick

    Justin Thyme wrote:
    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>64MB should run Win ME reasonably well - if not terribly fast.
    >>What's the rest of the spec?
    >>
    >>You need to research the RAM addition carefully - Dell have a nasty
    >>reputation for using proprietary hardware, and you may have to pay
    >>exorbitant prices for RAM from them.
    >>

    > You are so right, Noel, about Dell and its proprietary innards. Four years
    > ago I bought a large (at the time) Dell desktop with 512 MB RDRAM. Since
    > then I have learned that although there are supposed to be significant
    > advantages to the Rambus DRAM, nobody apparently makes them any more and
    > nothing else can be satisfactorily substituted.
    >
    > Ken Bland

    Rambus was(/is) a much better memory system, but politics and royalties
    intervened and the industry went to DDRAM

    Rick

    32mb is the minimum but it will run very slowly as you've found out.

    Yes, more or less it is just a matter of opening the right 'panel' on the
    bottom of the notebook and putting the (probably) SODIMM in the slot.

    You can wander over to www.crucial.com where it will tell you exactly what
    memory your notebook takes and how to install it.
    --
    Cari
    (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

    "Peter Brown" <peter@brown9322.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I recently put windowsme on my old laptop as I wanted it to run some new
    > software. Unfortunately the laptop is old and the RAM is only 64MB, so the
    > laptop runs very slowly. What is the minimum RAM that I should have?
    >
    > How easy is it to upgrade a Dell laptop? I have no computer knowledge, but
    > can i just buy extra memory on laptop and just plug it in?
    >
    > Peter

    Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    >A couple different tests on independent websites (too lazy to look them
    >up now); upshot is vast improvements up to 256MB, some improvement
    >between 256-384MB, very little/none between 384-512MB
    >

    >Rick

    A "sweet spot" traditionally refers to a situation where performance
    or results *decrease* when you move away from it in any direction.

    Therefore in order for there to be a "sweet spot" amount of RAM it
    would be necessary for performance to *decrease* if you added more
    than that amount of RAM. And that just plainly doesn't happen.

    It can be that adding more RAM beyond a certain point (and that
    certain point will be different for every user as it depends on just
    how many programs are loaded and what those programs are) will not
    result in further improvements. But with the additional RAM the
    performance will still be the same, and therefore will still qualify
    as being within the "sweet spot".

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Sweet spot as in "best bang for the buck"... "before the law of
    diminishing returns takes hold", etc.

    But I think there *is* a spot where performance would decrease, maybe at
    1 gig, depends on how WinME memory management works <shrug> just a thought.

    *Regardless*, at around 256-384, WinME has pretty well all the room it's
    set up to take advantage of for the OS and major components; anything
    above that is just for mega-memory hog programs.

    Rick

    Ron Martell wrote:
    > Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>A couple different tests on independent websites (too lazy to look them
    >>up now); upshot is vast improvements up to 256MB, some improvement
    >>between 256-384MB, very little/none between 384-512MB
    >>

    >>Rick
    >

    > A "sweet spot" traditionally refers to a situation where performance
    > or results *decrease* when you move away from it in any direction.
    >
    > Therefore in order for there to be a "sweet spot" amount of RAM it
    > would be necessary for performance to *decrease* if you added more
    > than that amount of RAM. And that just plainly doesn't happen.
    >
    > It can be that adding more RAM beyond a certain point (and that
    > certain point will be different for every user as it depends on just
    > how many programs are loaded and what those programs are) will not
    > result in further improvements. But with the additional RAM the
    > performance will still be the same, and therefore will still qualify
    > as being within the "sweet spot".
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Laptops RAM Windows Product