Laptop? How hard to go with a barebones system for a newb?

How about a complete model? Can I get a decent (better) price with
maybe an AMD XP processor (or something) somewhere? I don't need dvd,
cdrw or the floppy. A nice screen, 512 mb ram, cd, battery, usb port
would be my priorities. No OS would be perfect or windows 2000 ( I get
MSDN comp through school so WIN xp home is no good) if I have to, some
sort of track history with Redhat installation would be really, really
nice.

Any major retailers have something like this out there?

If not any suggestion otherwise. If you get my drift I don't need to
rule the world so to speak. The sets I've looked at seem like such an
over kill....

Thanks!

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

if you watch slickdeals.net, dell occasionally has circa $600 deals on
laptops after rebate. you probably aren't going to get any cheaper than
that.

"bigriff" <bigriff@ureach.com> wrote in message
> How about a complete model? Can I get a decent (better) price with
> maybe an AMD XP processor (or something) somewhere? I don't need dvd,
> cdrw or the floppy. A nice screen, 512 mb ram, cd, battery, usb port
> would be my priorities. No OS would be perfect or windows 2000 ( I get
> MSDN comp through school so WIN xp home is no good) if I have to, some
> sort of track history with Redhat installation would be really, really
> nice.
>
> Any major retailers have something like this out there?
>
> If not any suggestion otherwise. If you get my drift I don't need to
> rule the world so to speak. The sets I've looked at seem like such an
> over kill....
>
> Thanks!

"bigriff" <bigriff@ureach.com> wrote in message
> How about a complete model? Can I get a decent (better) price with
> maybe an AMD XP processor (or something) somewhere? I don't need dvd,
> cdrw or the floppy. A nice screen, 512 mb ram, cd, battery, usb port
> would be my priorities. No OS would be perfect or windows 2000 ( I get
> MSDN comp through school so WIN xp home is no good) if I have to, some
> sort of track history with Redhat installation would be really, really
> nice.
>
> Any major retailers have something like this out there?
>
> If not any suggestion otherwise. If you get my drift I don't need to
> rule the world so to speak. The sets I've looked at seem like such an
> over kill....
>
> Thanks!

Just from comparing prices, notebooks with AMD processors are not the lowest
out there. Seems like the mfg always adds features - presumably the total
package is a better price than an Intel based one with the same features.