Cloning questions

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2005 2:03:24 PM

So... this time I am about to replace a 40G drive with a Seagate 120G in my
homebuilt.

I currently have 4 partitions that were created by Partition Magic 4... it
is a multiboot system with 98 on C and XP on D (E and F are storage).

Are there any cheap or freeware utilities that are user friendly and
intuitive that will allow me to make a direct clone of this drive and
preserve the dual boot? I was going to use Ghost 2003 and then read a few
reviews that said it had issues with hanging at times and might wipe both
drives... the whole point here is that I need to keep the 40G for backup as
I no longer have one and want to do a periodic clone to keep up. I
considered Ghost 9 but can't do the costs and then heard that it will not
keep both OS's bootable anyhow. I called Seagate to ask about the stuff they
packaged with it and they said that there's will not keep them both bootable
either.

I was going to try the free trial Acronis True Image and it says something
about not having cloning activated.

I need to get this done and need to watch the bucks... ideas????????

More about : cloning questions

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2005 10:31:45 PM

You have only physical one HD now?
Connect new HD as slave. Use cloning software (I use DriveImage 2002, but
should work in Ghost2003 also) and do "disk copy" (usually it asks how to
use additional disk space, proportionally or leave extra as empty).Power
down. REMOVE OLD DISK, rejumper new as master. Boot (should still have dual
boot). Runs system to see if any errors, booting a few times.
NOW you can connect old disk (jumpered as slave), format and partition it
etc...

What Seagate was referring to was that you can't have both DRIVES identical
and bootable (drive lettering, system partition etc. problems). Dual boot
(W98 & WXP)functions, as it's one DRIVE only..

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Jess Fertudei" <not@this.juncture.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> So... this time I am about to replace a 40G drive with a Seagate 120G in
my
> homebuilt.
>

> I currently have 4 partitions that were created by Partition Magic 4... it
> is a multiboot system with 98 on C and XP on D (E and F are storage).
>
> Are there any cheap or freeware utilities that are user friendly and
> intuitive that will allow me to make a direct clone of this drive and
> preserve the dual boot? I was going to use Ghost 2003 and then read a few
> reviews that said it had issues with hanging at times and might wipe both
> drives... the whole point here is that I need to keep the 40G for backup
as
> I no longer have one and want to do a periodic clone to keep up. I
> considered Ghost 9 but can't do the costs and then heard that it will not
> keep both OS's bootable anyhow. I called Seagate to ask about the stuff
they
> packaged with it and they said that there's will not keep them both
bootable
> either.
>
> I was going to try the free trial Acronis True Image and it says something
> about not having cloning activated.
>

> I need to get this done and need to watch the bucks... ideas????????

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2005 11:23:19 PM

Right... only one physical drive. When I went to use the software that came
with the new one there was something in the wording that spooked me that
suggested that once I installed it (their software) that it might cause
problems for boot data. So I called them and they agreed.

Maybe the issue is only with their software. At any rate... I'll see what I
can get for cheap and go for it.

Thanks

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You have only physical one HD now?
> Connect new HD as slave. Use cloning software (I use DriveImage 2002, but
> should work in Ghost2003 also) and do "disk copy" (usually it asks how to
> use additional disk space, proportionally or leave extra as empty).Power
> down. REMOVE OLD DISK, rejumper new as master. Boot (should still have
dual
> boot). Runs system to see if any errors, booting a few times.
> NOW you can connect old disk (jumpered as slave), format and partition it
> etc...
>
> What Seagate was referring to was that you can't have both DRIVES
identical
> and bootable (drive lettering, system partition etc. problems). Dual boot
> (W98 & WXP)functions, as it's one DRIVE only..
>

> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>

> "Jess Fertudei" <not@this.juncture.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> > So... this time I am about to replace a 40G drive with a Seagate 120G in
> my
> > homebuilt.
> >

> > I currently have 4 partitions that were created by Partition Magic 4...
it
> > is a multiboot system with 98 on C and XP on D (E and F are storage).
> >
> > Are there any cheap or freeware utilities that are user friendly and
> > intuitive that will allow me to make a direct clone of this drive and
> > preserve the dual boot? I was going to use Ghost 2003 and then read a
few
> > reviews that said it had issues with hanging at times and might wipe
both
> > drives... the whole point here is that I need to keep the 40G for backup
> as
> > I no longer have one and want to do a periodic clone to keep up. I
> > considered Ghost 9 but can't do the costs and then heard that it will
not
> > keep both OS's bootable anyhow. I called Seagate to ask about the stuff
> they
> > packaged with it and they said that there's will not keep them both
> bootable
> > either.
> >
> > I was going to try the free trial Acronis True Image and it says
something
> > about not having cloning activated.
> >

> > I need to get this done and need to watch the bucks... ideas????????

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 15, 2005 10:53:30 AM

If you do a _disk copy_, it shouldn't make any difference what or how many
OSs there are, as the disk copying should be sector by sector....

--

!