UP,nP enabled? / ping Shane

Hello Shane:

At this point it is unclear to me where exactly we were cut off because of
"overload".To be sure I am giving you the information you were asking about
and some:
Spybot warned me about deleting ssdpsrv.exe.
When I did uncheck "Universal Plug and Play", the following message appeared
after rebooting as
Windows Update:
"An error occurred loading C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\upnp.dll.
The file may not have been installed
or it has been corrupted."
To keep matters simple and on an even keel, I enabled UP'nP again.
Would you concur?

Harry.

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002

Harry,

I'm not certain what you're attempting to accomplish, but if you're
looking for an easy way to disable the UPnP service, Steve Gibson's
Unplug 'n Pray tool provides an easy way to disable and enable the service.

http://www.grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm

You may also be interested in looking at the following KB article
related to UPnP. As you're probably aware, ssdpsrv.exe is a Windows
system file associated with the UPnP service.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314757

Tom

webster72n wrote:
> Hello Shane:
>
> At this point it is unclear to me where exactly we were cut off because of
> "overload".To be sure I am giving you the information you were asking about
> and some:
> Spybot warned me about deleting ssdpsrv.exe.
> When I did uncheck "Universal Plug and Play", the following message appeared
> after rebooting as
> Windows Update:
> "An error occurred loading C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\upnp.dll.
> The file may not have been installed
> or it has been corrupted."
> To keep matters simple and on an even keel, I enabled UP'nP again.
> Would you concur?
>
> Harry.

Tom:

I had presented a question whether to disable UP'nP
or not and was advised it would be better to have it disabled. In my case it
doesn't seem to be advantageous.
Just wanted to let Shane know, since we had a thread going.
Sorry if I caused confusion about the issue.
Will this clear it up?

Harry.

"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Harry,
>
> I'm not certain what you're attempting to accomplish, but if you're
> looking for an easy way to disable the UPnP service, Steve Gibson's
> Unplug 'n Pray tool provides an easy way to disable and enable the
service.

> http://www.grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm
>
> You may also be interested in looking at the following KB article
> related to UPnP. As you're probably aware, ssdpsrv.exe is a Windows
> system file associated with the UPnP service.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314757
>
> Tom
>
> webster72n wrote:
> > Hello Shane:
> >
> > At this point it is unclear to me where exactly we were cut off because
of
> > "overload".To be sure I am giving you the information you were asking
about
> > and some:
> > Spybot warned me about deleting ssdpsrv.exe.
> > When I did uncheck "Universal Plug and Play", the following message
appeared
> > after rebooting as
> > Windows Update:
> > "An error occurred loading C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\upnp.dll.
> > The file may not have been installed
> > or it has been corrupted."
> > To keep matters simple and on an even keel, I enabled UP'nP again.
> > Would you concur?
> >
> > Harry.

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002

Harry,

That clears it up. I think the Unplug 'n Pray tool is what you want.
Using the tool, it only takes one click to disable the service.

HTH
Tom

webster72n wrote:
> Tom:
>
> I had presented a question whether to disable UP'nP
> or not and was advised it would be better to have it disabled. In my case it
> doesn't seem to be advantageous.
> Just wanted to let Shane know, since we had a thread going.
> Sorry if I caused confusion about the issue.
> Will this clear it up?
>
> Harry.
>

> "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>Harry,
>>
>>I'm not certain what you're attempting to accomplish, but if you're
>>looking for an easy way to disable the UPnP service, Steve Gibson's
>>Unplug 'n Pray tool provides an easy way to disable and enable the
>
> service.
>
>>http://www.grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm
>>
>>You may also be interested in looking at the following KB article
>>related to UPnP. As you're probably aware, ssdpsrv.exe is a Windows
>>system file associated with the UPnP service.
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314757
>>
>>Tom
>>
>>webster72n wrote:
>>
>>>Hello Shane:
>>>
>>>At this point it is unclear to me where exactly we were cut off because
>
> of
>
>>>"overload".To be sure I am giving you the information you were asking
>
> about
>
>>>and some:
>>>Spybot warned me about deleting ssdpsrv.exe.
>>>When I did uncheck "Universal Plug and Play", the following message
>
> appeared
>
>>>after rebooting as
>>>Windows Update:
>>>"An error occurred loading C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\upnp.dll.
>>>The file may not have been installed
>>>or it has been corrupted."
>>>To keep matters simple and on an even keel, I enabled UP'nP again.
>>>Would you concur?
>>>
>>> Harry.

Tom:

Not yet, because Shane mentioned to me it is much easier to do it manually
in control panel under Add/Remove Programs/Windows Setup and which I am
aware of.
But in my case I seem to be needing this feature.
My machine is telling me so.
Unless something else needs to be corrected first.
That I will have to examine.

> Harry,
>
> That clears it up. I think the Unplug 'n Pray tool is what you want.
> Using the tool, it only takes one click to disable the service.
>
> HTH
> Tom
>
> webster72n wrote:
> > Tom:
> >
> > I had presented a question whether to disable UP'nP
> > or not and was advised it would be better to have it disabled. In my
case it
> > doesn't seem to be advantageous.
> > Just wanted to let Shane know, since we had a thread going.
> > Sorry if I caused confusion about the issue.
> > Will this clear it up?
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>Harry,
> >>
> >>I'm not certain what you're attempting to accomplish, but if you're
> >>looking for an easy way to disable the UPnP service, Steve Gibson's
> >>Unplug 'n Pray tool provides an easy way to disable and enable the
> >
> > service.
> >
> >>http://www.grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm
> >>
> >>You may also be interested in looking at the following KB article
> >>related to UPnP. As you're probably aware, ssdpsrv.exe is a Windows
> >>system file associated with the UPnP service.
> >>
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314757
> >>
> >>Tom

> > of

> > about

> > appeared

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002

I'll leave you to sort it out with Shane and go back into the shadows
from whence I came. ;)

webster72n wrote:
> Tom:
>
> Not yet, because Shane mentioned to me it is much easier to do it manually
> in control panel under Add/Remove Programs/Windows Setup and which I am
> aware of.
> But in my case I seem to be needing this feature.
> My machine is telling me so.
> Unless something else needs to be corrected first.
> That I will have to examine.
>
> Harry.

Already taken care of, Tom.
Don't go away too far, you may be needed before you know.
Thanks for being there when it counted.