Millenium CD won't boot and re-install doesn't recognize h..

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 29, 2005 6:32:19 PM

I have a boxed set of Millenium edition. I had previously installed it on my
machine and it worked wonderfully. Through an unfortunate mistake, my Windows
partition was rendered unusable and had to be reformatted. When I tried to
re-install Millenium, the computer wouldn't boot from the CD. Since I have an
emergency floppy, that wasn't a disaster. But, when I went through the
install, most of my hardware wasn't recognized. No USB. No Firewire. No video
card. No Ethernet card. All of which worked fine before.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? If the CD has gone "bad", how do
I get the media replaced without having to pay $35 to open a support
incident. Cripes, by the time I pay that and, undoubtedly, a media charge,
I'll have spent nearly as much as buying a new copy.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 3:13:42 AM

You quite possibly need to download and install the appropriate drivers
for your hardware from the manufacturers' website. Check whether your PC
came with a separate driver CD in which case use that..
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

nonsense <nonsense@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have a boxed set of Millenium edition. I had previously installed
> it on my machine and it worked wonderfully. Through an unfortunate
> mistake, my Windows partition was rendered unusable and had to be
> reformatted. When I tried to re-install Millenium, the computer
> wouldn't boot from the CD. Since I have an emergency floppy, that
> wasn't a disaster. But, when I went through the install, most of my
> hardware wasn't recognized. No USB. No Firewire. No video card. No
> Ethernet card. All of which worked fine before.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what's going on? If the CD has gone "bad",
> how do I get the media replaced without having to pay $35 to open a
> support incident. Cripes, by the time I pay that and, undoubtedly, a
> media charge, I'll have spent nearly as much as buying a new copy.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 1:50:23 PM

Confirm the maker of your mainboard, nonsense, and obtain the chipset driver
from the vendor's site, which will have your missing drivers.
The video driver set is probably there also, although you may wish to obtain
a later one from the video chipset maker.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
news:o 379uuJZFHA.2996@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> You quite possibly need to download and install the appropriate drivers
> for your hardware from the manufacturers' website. Check whether your PC
> came with a separate driver CD in which case use that..
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> nonsense <nonsense@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a boxed set of Millenium edition. I had previously installed
> > it on my machine and it worked wonderfully. Through an unfortunate
> > mistake, my Windows partition was rendered unusable and had to be
> > reformatted. When I tried to re-install Millenium, the computer
> > wouldn't boot from the CD. Since I have an emergency floppy, that
> > wasn't a disaster. But, when I went through the install, most of my
> > hardware wasn't recognized. No USB. No Firewire. No video card. No
> > Ethernet card. All of which worked fine before.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea what's going on? If the CD has gone "bad",
> > how do I get the media replaced without having to pay $35 to open a
> > support incident. Cripes, by the time I pay that and, undoubtedly, a
> > media charge, I'll have spent nearly as much as buying a new copy.

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 2:35:36 PM

Sounds like alot of your hardware was made after WinME was published so
their description isn't in the database that's on the WinME CD. If the
CD had "gone bad" you would have seen error messages during the install.

What you need to do is get drivers for your hardware; sometimes they
come with the hardware (these days usually on a CD); if, however you
don't have that then it's (a little) more difficult.

First change your video drivers to Windows standard 800x600; this is
just to make looking at the screen easier for you while you do the rest.

After that it's a matter of getting the appropriate drivers; I'd suggest
getting the ones for your Network card next, either by using another
computer to download the drivers and transferring them over from a
floppy; or by going to the manufacturer's website and finding out what
older NIC your newer one is similar to and installing that one.

At this point you can just run around the net getting drivers until you
have them all; I'd strongly suggest saving them to a CDR or something
just in case your HD gets accidentally reformatted again.

Rick

!