task scheduler

boni

i have search and still am unable to understand why the task scheduler
message "not working" my having to continuously run : scan , defrag, disk
cleanup, especially when i have finish running them. the message keeps
coming up with the status " missed".
for example: yesterday i scheduled defrag fri/5pm . so, on disk defrag
schedule it indicates
at 5pm every fri of every week, starting 11/16/2003.
at an earlier time 1/12 (same issue). has not changed when i look in my
computer
c:window/task
(aside of desktop config setting & sa dat file) all others:
tune up
disk def
maintenance
pc health
maintenance
(and now) spybot .... all still have the red circle with the x in the
center.
spybot appears disabled in task scheduler.
i am sure there is a connection somewhere to resolve this problem. article
215937 did not resolve the problem.

boni

does any one know or care to respond or advise on
should i fix task scheduler or a web site . defrag is up and runnung so are
other tasks ... but i would like the t s to run auto. pc health was
removed before but resurfaced.
boni.

I recommend that you run ScanDefrag to ensure that all such tools complete
successfully.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/main.htm
http://www.blueorbsoft.com/scandefrag/index.html

Then ensure that PC Health is disabled. Then retest Task Scheduler, by
adding each tool, in turn and running it.
If every tool will run as scheduled, then run two at a time to test.
Hopefully, all can be scheduled and run successfully.

Consider whether some executing program is interfering with Task Scheduler.
Disable it temporarily to test.
Use your process viewer to examine for interfering programs.

And review "Task Scheduler Service Does Not Start"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;215937

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"boni" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> does any one know or care to respond or advise on
> should i fix task scheduler or a web site . defrag is up and runnung so
are
> other tasks ... but i would like the t s to run auto. pc health was
> removed before but resurfaced.
> boni.

boni

thank you for your response..
the last few times i downloaded 2-3 months ago
spybot 13, ezfire or nonav , dso
icons did appear on my desktop after i had downloaded them..
i relied on the toolbar to use them. i was unaware they were on the
default desktop.
(dso and nonav, do not on toolbar)
when i go to my computer folders i see them in c/windows/desktop.
why is that.? how can i avoid this from happening when i download now and
solving it.
appreciate your response.
i am using micro net and not windows logon ( i can't remember when the
switch was made). boni.

Shane

Unless you did a re-installation of Windows, PCHealth will have reappeared
after removing or disabling it's Scheduled Task because you didn't also
remove the PCHealth entry in Msconfig\Startup. Both must be removed.

Shane

"boni" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> does any one know or care to respond or advise on
> should i fix task scheduler or a web site . defrag is up and runnung so
> are
> other tasks ... but i would like the t s to run auto. pc health was
> removed before but resurfaced.
> boni.

boni, Shane is correct, and here is some additional help:

PC Health removal & reinstallation

http://winnoel.users.btopenworld.com/UnReHS.htm
----

The ideal and IMO only logical setting is to disable the PCScheduler
entirely. You cannot, alter the settings as they will be reset when the
system next boots.

PCHealth Scheduler for Data Collection:
The PCHealth entry in MSConfig | Startup and also in the Task Scheduler,
refers to the PCHealth Scheduler for Data Collection routine (pchschd.exe)
which launches winmgmt.exe to collect software and hardware configuration
data that can be accessed using Help & Support's System Information's
History view. In other words it allows you to see changes over a period of
time to your system such as drivers. The details collected are contained
in the files CollectedData???.xml files in the folder
...\windows\pchealth\helpctr\DataColl.

Note that all that pchschd.exe is doing every ten minutes is checking if
the system is idle or not. If idle it launches winmgmt.exe to collect the
information and sets itself to run again in 6 hours, if not it continues
to run at ten minute intervals until it finds the system is idle.

As to whether you need this historic data or not, only you can decide. A
number of us have long since decided to disable pchschd.exe having no use
for the collected data. It should be noted that if you contact MS or an
OEM for help that it is possible that they might request you send them
these files. If you do choose to disable pchschd.exe it is ESSENTIAL to
delete/disable it from both MSConfig | Startup and the Task Scheduler as
otherwise the startup entry will recreate the Task Scheduler entry when
the system is rebooted.

One advantage of disabling the PCHealth Scheduler is that it minimizes the
chances of winmgmt.exe causing problems. What happens is that quite often
winmgmt.exe doesn't exit correctly when it has finished but instead
remains resident and using cpu cycles.

Note also that disabling these entries does NOT affect either System
Restore or System File Protect, nor AutoUpdate or your ability to use Help
& Support, all part of what Microsoft call "PCHealth".
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Unless you did a re-installation of Windows, PCHealth will have reappeared
> after removing or disabling it's Scheduled Task because you didn't also
> remove the PCHealth entry in Msconfig\Startup. Both must be removed.
>

> Shane
>

> "boni" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > does any one know or care to respond or advise on
> > should i fix task scheduler or a web site . defrag is up and runnung so
> > are
> > other tasks ... but i would like the t s to run auto. pc health was
> > removed before but resurfaced.
> > boni.

When the "Save" window pops up during a download, you can redirect the
desired file to any folder, or a newly made folder, on your drive.
It doesn't have to be stored on the desktop.

I typically store a setup file in a folder similar to C:\Program Files\
<This Program>\Zipped\Ver 1.xxx, or a simlar file structure on another
partition.
When I install the program, it goes into the <This Program> folder. Upgrades
go into Ver. 2.xxx, etc. This way, the various parts are all together for
future convenience and use. I can easily find earlier version setup files,
if needed.

> thank you for your response..
> the last few times i downloaded 2-3 months ago
> spybot 13, ezfire or nonav , dso
> icons did appear on my desktop after i had downloaded them..
> i relied on the toolbar to use them. i was unaware they were on the
> default desktop.
> (dso and nonav, do not on toolbar)
> when i go to my computer folders i see them in c/windows/desktop.
> why is that.? how can i avoid this from happening when i download now and
> solving it.
> appreciate your response.
> i am using micro net and not windows logon ( i can't remember when the
> switch was made). boni.

boni

thank you both...
when i checked msconfig/run , i noticed that pchshd.exe is disabled but not
deleted. how do i do that ? is it just r click and delete (inside msconfig)
?
also does it make a difference whether i run scandefrg or remove pch first?
referring to post 5/30.
intend to get this done soon.

on the subject of *pwl..... i see 11 entries are they different passwords ?
if i were to change and use windows logon. does that mean that the pw used
now with micro net change my current settings ?

Unless you are happy with editing the registry I would advise you to just
leave the PCHealth entry unchecked in MSConfig | Startup.

The PCHealth entries in both MSConfig and the Task Scheduler (hopefully
you have now disabled both) should have no bearing on the use of
scandefrag.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

boni <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> thank you both...
> when i checked msconfig/run , i noticed that pchshd.exe is disabled
> but not deleted. how do i do that ? is it just r click and delete
> (inside msconfig) ?
> also does it make a difference whether i run scandefrg or remove pch
> first? referring to post 5/30.
> intend to get this done soon.
>
> on the subject of *pwl..... i see 11 entries are they different
> passwords ? if i were to change and use windows logon. does that mean
> that the pw used now with micro net change my current settings ?

boni, following up Mike, with whom I concur, I am not familar with your
"Micro Net", and so don't know how it manages any passwords.
You can observe the current Microsoft Windows profiles using the Control
Panel / Users applet. Remove any you do not need.
How to Disable and Delete User Profiles
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;156826

As for avoiding the Startup request for a password:

Stop LogOn Prompt at Boot

Using the Client for Microsoft Network Logon is only necessary if
you're logging on to a Windows NT/2000 domain or server. All
peer-to-peer networking functions are available using Windows Logon as
the primary network logon.

To eliminate the logon prompt, set the primary network logon to
Windows Logon and use an empty password, as described in this
Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

How to Prevent a Windows Me/98/95 Logon Prompt at Startup
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q152/1/04.asp
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Desktop Systems)

> Unless you are happy with editing the registry I would advise you to just
> leave the PCHealth entry unchecked in MSConfig | Startup.
>
> The PCHealth entries in both MSConfig and the Task Scheduler (hopefully
> you have now disabled both) should have no bearing on the use of
> scandefrag.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> boni <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > thank you both...
> > when i checked msconfig/run , i noticed that pchshd.exe is disabled
> > but not deleted. how do i do that ? is it just r click and delete
> > (inside msconfig) ?
> > also does it make a difference whether i run scandefrg or remove pch
> > first? referring to post 5/30.
> > intend to get this done soon.
> >
> > on the subject of *pwl..... i see 11 entries are they different
> > passwords ? if i were to change and use windows logon. does that mean
> > that the pw used now with micro net change my current settings ?

boni

well, i downloaded scandefrag from earthlnk. it ran from 2hrs 20mins. it
showed 12 programs running ?
i forgot about making a separate folder . so,
when i r click sd on desktop to properties under the tab

general location
c\windows\profiles xxdesktop

under shortcut location
scandefrag is c\scandeg

on the task scheduler in control panel , all task appeared the same with
same old time settings. does that mean i have 2 defrag/ and 2 scandisk ?
boni

I suggest you find the ScanDefrag setup file, probably on your Desktop, with
a name similar to "ScanDefrag52setup.exe"
Put it in a safe place, eg., C:\Program Files\ScanDefrag\Zipped\Ver.
5.2\ScanDefrag52setup.exe.

Then uninstall the current installation, including any remnants of it in the
folders.
When everything seems clean, reinstall ScanDefrag to your ...\Program
Files\ScanDefrag folder.
You will have about five files unzipped to there, and a subfolder, "Logs".
The actual executable is ScanDefrag.exe, ca. 381 KB.
The current version is 5.2.0.55.

> well, i downloaded scandefrag from earthlnk. it ran from 2hrs 20mins. it
> showed 12 programs running ?
> i forgot about making a separate folder . so,
> when i r click sd on desktop to properties under the tab
>
> general location
> c\windows\profiles xxdesktop
>
> under shortcut location
> scandefrag is c\scandeg
>
> on the task scheduler in control panel , all task appeared the same with
> same old time settings. does that mean i have 2 defrag/ and 2 scandisk ?
> boni

boni

#1. My Computer clicked Folders

C\ ScanDefrag
logs

logs file folder 6/3
ScanDefrag 381kb appl 4/26
readme 17kb html document 5/2
uninstall 55kb appl 6/3
running.log 27kb log file 6/5
5 objects total 478kb

logs
____________________________
#2. when i clicked on Windows:

C\Windows\profiles\lc\my documents
ScanDefrag52setup 456kb appl 6/3
456KB

checked both other places:
*Add/Remove ScanDefrag (remove only).
*Search for Files & Folders for ScanDef 52....
C\Windows\Profiles\lc\MyDocuments
size 467,633 bytes 6/3..
Question: Put which file in safe place #1 or #2. and how?
thanks . boni.

1) Create the subfolder, C:\ScanDefrag\Zipped.

2) Right-click on your C\Windows\profiles\lc\my documents\
ScanDefrag52setup.exe,
and choose "Copy".

3) Right-click on your new C:\ScanDefrag\Zipped, and choose "Paste".
This will create a copy of the ScanDefrag installation file,
ScanDefrag52setup.exe, there.

4) Run Add-Remove Programs to uninstall the current ScanDefrag files.
Manually cleanup any remnants, eg., the log folder and files.

5) When all seems clean and well, reinstall ScanDefrag to the C:\ScanDefrag
folder. Reboot to Normal Mode. Create a SR checkpoint.

6) Run ScanDefrag to test.

> #1. My Computer clicked Folders
>
> C\ ScanDefrag
> logs
>
> logs file folder 6/3
> ScanDefrag 381kb appl 4/26
> readme 17kb html document 5/2
> uninstall 55kb appl 6/3
> running.log 27kb log file 6/5
> 5 objects total 478kb
>
> logs
> 20050603
> 20050604
> 20050605
> ____________________________
> #2. when i clicked on Windows:
>
> C\Windows\profiles\lc\my documents
> ScanDefrag52setup 456kb appl 6/3
> 456KB
>
> checked both other places:
> *Add/Remove ScanDefrag (remove only).
> *Search for Files & Folders for ScanDef 52....
> C\Windows\Profiles\lc\MyDocuments
> size 467,633 bytes 6/3..

> Question: Put which file in safe place #1 or #2. and how?
> thanks . boni.

boni

in respnse to #1. how do i create the C:\ScanDefrag\Zipped. (subfolder)
so, that i may continue the other 5 steps. boni

Presumably, Explorer shows the C:\ScanDefrag folder from the previous
installation.
If not, select the C: drive and then File / New / Folder. Name the new
folder Scandefrag. Repeat the same process after selecting the ScanDefrag
folder, and create the Zipped subfolder. This is where you will download
the new ScanDefrag setup file.

I recommend reviewing the copious information under "Managing Files and
Folders" in the WinME Help & Support tool.

> so, that i may continue the other 5 steps. boni

Earth to boni. Can you hear me?