Loss of free memory space

I don't know which section to post this question - hopefully someone can help
me anyway. I have an Acer laptop running Windows ME. Usually I have about
1.6 gb of free space. Over the years I have been using Symantec Norton
Internet Security and done the regular live updates. So far so good. Now,
three days ago, I purchased NIS updates for a further year, followed all
instructions to the letter. Each time there is advice of live update, and I
commence this, I get a message that my memory is critically low - eg 48mb!!!
After the first time, I removed a few files (probably a total of about 40mb)
and I went back to 1.6gb. Last night I did another live update and the
problem has happened again. I went to the Symantec automated help area and
it suggests one of the problems as that Windows is running in "Audit Mode".
Has anyone encountered this sort of problem? As the problem has only
occurred over the last three days, I feel it is unlikely to be caused by the
audit mode. I have had this laptop and NAV/NIS since early 2001. Please
help!

You need to clarify the problem a little. The 1.6GB of free space you
mention refers to the amount of free/empty storage on your hard disk.
Memory usually refers to RAM, that is random access memory which is
something entirely different to storage. Whilst I am not willing to help
those running Symantec products one thing you need to do is to establish
using Windows Explorer exactly how much free space you have on your laptop
when you next see this message about lack of memory. If the free space is
still around 1.6GB then you know the problem is to do with memory not free
space.

A memory problem could possibly be because you only have a limited amount
of RAM on your laptop and have for some reason chosen to limit the size of
the swap file. The swap file uses space on your hard disk as an extension
of your RAM. Limiting the size of the swap file can cause unpredictable
errors much as you are seeing.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Trish <Trish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I don't know which section to post this question - hopefully someone
> can help me anyway. I have an Acer laptop running Windows ME.
> Usually I have about
> 1.6 gb of free space. Over the years I have been using Symantec
> Norton Internet Security and done the regular live updates. So far
> so good. Now, three days ago, I purchased NIS updates for a further
> year, followed all instructions to the letter. Each time there is
> advice of live update, and I commence this, I get a message that my
> memory is critically low - eg 48mb!!! After the first time, I removed
> a few files (probably a total of about 40mb) and I went back to
> 1.6gb. Last night I did another live update and the problem has
> happened again. I went to the Symantec automated help area and it
> suggests one of the problems as that Windows is running in "Audit
> Mode". Has anyone encountered this sort of problem? As the problem
> has only occurred over the last three days, I feel it is unlikely to
> be caused by the audit mode. I have had this laptop and NAV/NIS
> since early 2001. Please help!

Insufficient data:
Which version of NAV?
Do you mean 'free memory' - or free Disk Space?? - what's the total size of
the HD?? how much RAM is installed??

1.6 GB free space on a drive is reasonable for ME
48MB free memory is unusually high for ME

I suspect that Norton has screwed your System Restore archive - check this
in the following manner.
1) Try to create a System Restore Point
2) if that fails- which is likely - set your Folder Options to be able to
view Hidden Filed and Folders and System Files, then navigate to the C:\
drive - you should see the C:\_Restore folder. r-click on its icon and
select Properties - How many files and folders does it show?? - how much
disk space is taken up by them??

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi