Trouble With Firewire Device

Hi I bought this thing called a Metal Gear Box which is a USB
2.0/Firewire external HD enclosure. I used it for a couple of months
with the USB 2.0 because i didn't have a firewire card. I finally
upgraded my motherboard to an Asus with a firewire controller onboard,
so I could use it for video capture, but I can't get it to see the HD
now.

I tried booting it up with the HD already turned on and plugged up and
I tried plugging in and truning on the HD when PC was running but still
nothing.

Any ideas? When I go into device manager I see an IEEE1394 host
controller and there seems to be nothing wrong with it.

Thanks,

STRATEGY

Strategy510@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi I bought this thing called a Metal Gear Box which is a USB
> 2.0/Firewire external HD enclosure. I used it for a couple of months
> with the USB 2.0 because i didn't have a firewire card. I finally
> upgraded my motherboard to an Asus with a firewire controller
onboard,
> so I could use it for video capture, but I can't get it to see the HD
> now.
>
> I tried booting it up with the HD already turned on and plugged up
and
> I tried plugging in and truning on the HD when PC was running but
still
> nothing.
>
> Any ideas? When I go into device manager I see an IEEE1394 host
> controller and there seems to be nothing wrong with it.

I just remembered that my external burner was also firewire. so i tried
attaching that (using a different cable, and still nothing

so that rules out the Metal Gear Box, must be my firewire controller,
or the expansion card that plugs into it, right?

and if I buy a separate firewire card, assuming the MB IEEE1394
controller is somehow bad, that new card still has to attach to it
doesn't it? Or do they have an actual onboard controller and only
attach through the PCI slot?

I really don't want to take this motherboard back, I've worked really
hard on this box and everything else works perfect..

STRATEGY

RBM (remove this) wrote:
> I'm confused, you say you have onboard firewire, then you mention a
pci
> card.

I was asking if I can solve my problem by buying a PCI firewire card,
or does it attach to those same headers that don't seem to be working.

The one that came with my MB fit in one of the slots in the back, but
did not actually go into the pci slot.

If the board has it, there is either a jack at the rear io ports, or a

> header on the board that you must connect to a cable that goes to
either the
> front or rear firewire jack. I get the impression that the controller
is
> fine, just not connected

It's conected, and I just verified it's not backwards

Thanks,
STRATEGY

> "STRATEGY" <Strategy510@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Strategy510@gmail.com wrote:
> >> Hi I bought this thing called a Metal Gear Box which is a USB
> >> 2.0/Firewire external HD enclosure. I used it for a couple of
months
> >> with the USB 2.0 because i didn't have a firewire card. I finally
> >> upgraded my motherboard to an Asus with a firewire controller
> > onboard,
> >> so I could use it for video capture, but I can't get it to see the
HD
> >> now.
> >>
> >> I tried booting it up with the HD already turned on and plugged up
> > and
> >> I tried plugging in and truning on the HD when PC was running but
> > still
> >> nothing.
> >>
> >> Any ideas? When I go into device manager I see an IEEE1394 host
> >> controller and there seems to be nothing wrong with it.
> >

> > I just remembered that my external burner was also firewire. so i
tried
> > attaching that (using a different cable, and still nothing
> >
> > so that rules out the Metal Gear Box, must be my firewire
controller,
> > or the expansion card that plugs into it, right?
> >
> > and if I buy a separate firewire card, assuming the MB IEEE1394
> > controller is somehow bad, that new card still has to attach to it
> > doesn't it? Or do they have an actual onboard controller and only
> > attach through the PCI slot?
> >
> > I really don't want to take this motherboard back, I've worked
really
> > hard on this box and everything else works perfect..
> >

> > STRATEGY
> >

> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> STRATEGY

I'm confused, you say you have onboard firewire, then you mention a pci
card. If the board has it, there is either a jack at the rear io ports, or a
header on the board that you must connect to a cable that goes to either the
front or rear firewire jack. I get the impression that the controller is
fine, just not connected
"STRATEGY" <Strategy510@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Strategy510@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi I bought this thing called a Metal Gear Box which is a USB
>> 2.0/Firewire external HD enclosure. I used it for a couple of months
>> with the USB 2.0 because i didn't have a firewire card. I finally
>> upgraded my motherboard to an Asus with a firewire controller
> onboard,
>> so I could use it for video capture, but I can't get it to see the HD
>> now.
>>
>> I tried booting it up with the HD already turned on and plugged up
> and
>> I tried plugging in and truning on the HD when PC was running but
> still
>> nothing.
>>
>> Any ideas? When I go into device manager I see an IEEE1394 host
>> controller and there seems to be nothing wrong with it.
>

> I just remembered that my external burner was also firewire. so i tried
> attaching that (using a different cable, and still nothing
>
> so that rules out the Metal Gear Box, must be my firewire controller,
> or the expansion card that plugs into it, right?
>
> and if I buy a separate firewire card, assuming the MB IEEE1394
> controller is somehow bad, that new card still has to attach to it
> doesn't it? Or do they have an actual onboard controller and only
> attach through the PCI slot?
>
> I really don't want to take this motherboard back, I've worked really
> hard on this box and everything else works perfect..
>

> STRATEGY
>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> STRATEGY

I got you, it still sounds like a problem between the header and the rear
panel jack. Check the header jack carefully, to be sure you didn't miss a
pin and also be very sure you didn't connect it to a usb header. If
everything else checks out contact the motherboard company and ask for a new
cable and connector