ME and my flash drive

Windows ME has given me a lot of problems, but the latest really has me
scratching my head.

We recently got two new (actually used and old) PC's running Windows 98 SE.
I upgraded them to ME using the same installation CD. I expected them to
have identical OSes. That gave us one (really) new PC running XP, two old
ones running ME and the two I had upgraded.

Then I got a USB flash drive to use to move files around until we install an
Ethernet. I plugged it into the XP-running PC. It recognized it immediately
on the screen, in Windows Explorer and My Computer and with the "Safely
Remove Hardware" icon in the System Notification area. The two ME-running
PC's that we already had before we got the last two also recognized the
drive, though I had
to go through "Add Hardware" with one of them. Each showed the drive in
Explorer and My Computer and with the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the
system tray.

That left the two recent arrivals. The first one recognized the device and
showed it as with the other three. All four of these installations worked as
expected. So far so good. I tried the second one. It didn't recognize the
drive. I started Add New Hardware. The Add new Hardware Wizard found the
device as "USB Disk." (To the left of the text was an exclamation point in a
yellow circle. I suspect that exclaimation point means something but I have
no idea what.) I proceeded.

The "Update Device Driver Wizard" said: This device is already installed.
To view properties for the device, and to see the problem and proposed
solution, click Finish. I did so and got to the window for USB Disk
Properties - General tab. I selected the Driver File Details tab and got
this:

USB Disk

Driver files

c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\USBMPHLP.PDR
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32VXD(IOS.VXD)

(The second one looks like the driver to me.)

Provider Microsoft

File version 4.90.3000

Copyright Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1980-2000

I inserted the ME installation CD and tried to install it again with the
same results. I even downloaded a driver for Win 98 SE, copied it to a
floppy and tried for the third time with the same results.

This leaves my sneaker net incomplete, which is unfortunate. The four old
PC's have floppy drives and CD readers but not burners. The new PC has a CD
burner but no floppy drive. The flash drive is one thing they have in
common, except for the fifth PC. I need to transfer a file from this
computer to the new one (and the others). This file is too large for a
floppy.

I know I should install an Ethernet and I will once I get the approval. I
still will need my sneakernet as a backup. Meanwhile I am stuck.

Is there anything I can do?

There are two issues involved here.

1) Do all WinME machines report no Marks for the USB 1.0/1.1 devices in
Device Manager? In particular, does the problematic machine show Marks for
some devices?

Any missing USB 1.x files acan be found by
" visiting http://www.usb-drivers.com/drivers/63/63237.htm
and downloading usb-WinMe.exe ,
which contains WinMe's usb related files.
Extract the files you want and put them in windows\system32\drivers.
--
Mike Maltby
-----

2) Your flash memory device may support USB 2.0, but do any of the WinME
machines do so? If they are older, they will need additional PCI memory
cards with the USB 2.0 hardware/firmware. There is no native WinME
support.
These USB 2.0 devices will appear as additional devices in Device Manager,
when properly installed.

USB 2.0
http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

P.S. I have assumed the XP machine is newer and has USB 2.0 support native
to the mainboard devices.
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Sleepless in New Jersey" <SleeplessinNewJersey@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:5B46B543-AF9A-46B9-AF7D-8D2D40DCD112@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>
> File version 4.90.3000
>
> Copyright Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1980-2000
>
> I inserted the ME installation CD and tried to install it again with the
> same results. I even downloaded a driver for Win 98 SE, copied it to a
> floppy and tried for the third time with the same results.
>
> This leaves my sneaker net incomplete, which is unfortunate. The four old
> PC's have floppy drives and CD readers but not burners. The new PC has a
CD
> burner but no floppy drive. The flash drive is one thing they have in
> common, except for the fifth PC. I need to transfer a file from this
> computer to the new one (and the others). This file is too large for a
> floppy.
>
> I know I should install an Ethernet and I will once I get the approval. I
> still will need my sneakernet as a backup. Meanwhile I am stuck.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Prior to Friday, one of the four cooperative PC's had a mark
beside Other Devices for something that AOL sent that I have
never been able to install. One of these days I think I will
just remove it. A second of these PC's also had a mark beside
Other Devices for a PCI Communication Device. This is a Fast
Ethernet card that I'm having trouble installing.

But on Friday one of these PC's stopped recognizing my flash drive.
This PC was donated with ME installed. I do not like the
installation and plan to reinstall ME. From an earlier thread
I got advice on doing this from Mike Maltby and from Noel
Paton's site. I also downloaded USB-WinME.exe which provides
"most of the USB drivers from the Windows ME installation
disk." Maybe a fresh install will work better.

I'm afraid I don't understand your reference to USB 1.1. I
thought USB 2.0 devices are backwards-compatible with 1.1

We are installing our Ethernet now, but I still need to be
able to use the flash drive sneakernet to back up the
Ethernet.

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > File version 4.90.3000
> >
> > Copyright Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1980-2000
> >
> > I inserted the ME installation CD and tried to install it again with the
> > same results. I even downloaded a driver for Win 98 SE, copied it to a
> > floppy and tried for the third time with the same results.
> >
> > This leaves my sneaker net incomplete, which is unfortunate. The four old
> > PC's have floppy drives and CD readers but not burners. The new PC has a
> CD
> > burner but no floppy drive. The flash drive is one thing they have in
> > common, except for the fifth PC. I need to transfer a file from this
> > computer to the new one (and the others). This file is too large for a
> > floppy.
> >
> > I know I should install an Ethernet and I will once I get the approval. I
> > still will need my sneakernet as a backup. Meanwhile I am stuck.

Win ME doesn't natively support USB2, so if you have USB2 hardware, it *may*
work OK - but only at USB1.1 speeds, until you install the manufacturer's
own drivers. OTOH, the ports may not work at all (unusual, but it happens)
without the correct drivers.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

wrote in message news:CCC27BEF-C816-4088-846B-D5CE2862D386@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> >
>> > I inserted the ME installation CD and tried to install it again with
>> > the
>> > same results. I even downloaded a driver for Win 98 SE, copied it to a
>> > floppy and tried for the third time with the same results.
>> >
>> > This leaves my sneaker net incomplete, which is unfortunate. The four
>> > old
>> > PC's have floppy drives and CD readers but not burners. The new PC has
>> CD
>> > burner but no floppy drive. The flash drive is one thing they have in
>> > common, except for the fifth PC. I need to transfer a file from this
>> > computer to the new one (and the others). This file is too large for a
>> > floppy.
>> >
>> > I know I should install an Ethernet and I will once I get the approval.
>> > still will need my sneakernet as a backup. Meanwhile I am stuck.

I have assumed the drive is on USB 2.0. However, I saw a very similar drive
on Tiger Direct that was specced for 1.1. As of Friday, two of my ME
machines worked with the drive.

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> [...]
> >> Extract the files you want and put them in windows\system32\drivers.
> >> --
> >> Mike Maltby
> >> -----
> >>
> >> 2) Your flash memory device may support USB 2.0, but do any of the WinME
> >> machines do so? If they are older, they will need additional PCI memory
> >> cards with the USB 2.0 hardware/firmware. There is no native WinME
> >> support.
> >> These USB 2.0 devices will appear as additional devices in Device
> >> Manager,
> >> when properly installed.
> >>
> >> USB 2.0
> >> http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm
> >>

> >> P.S. I have assumed the XP machine is newer and has USB 2.0 support
> >> native
> >> to the mainboard devices.
> >> --
> >> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

Flash drives themselves should work fine - it's the ports that I was talking
about, and which I understood were your problem??

--

wrote in message news:F692A0A7-E0C2-4085-9E7A-7A5574CE2697@microsoft.com...
>I have assumed the drive is on USB 2.0. However, I saw a very similar
>drive
> on Tiger Direct that was specced for 1.1. As of Friday, two of my ME
> machines worked with the drive.
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
>> Win ME doesn't natively support USB2, so if you have USB2 hardware, it
>> *may*
>> work OK - but only at USB1.1 speeds, until you install the manufacturer's
>> own drivers. OTOH, the ports may not work at all (unusual, but it
>> happens)
>> without the correct drivers.
>>

>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Sleepless in New Jersey"
>> <SleeplessinNewJersey@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>> > Thanks a lot for your reply.
>> >
>> > Prior to Friday, one of the four cooperative PC's had a mark
>> > beside Other Devices for something that AOL sent that I have
>> > never been able to install. One of these days I think I will
>> > just remove it. A second of these PC's also had a mark beside
>> > Other Devices for a PCI Communication Device. This is a Fast
>> > Ethernet card that I'm having trouble installing.
>> >
>> > But on Friday one of these PC's stopped recognizing my flash drive.
>> > This PC was donated with ME installed. I do not like the
>> > installation and plan to reinstall ME. From an earlier thread
>> > I got advice on doing this from Mike Maltby and from Noel
>> > Paton's site. I also downloaded USB-WinME.exe which provides
>> > "most of the USB drivers from the Windows ME installation
>> > disk." Maybe a fresh install will work better.
>> >
>> > I'm afraid I don't understand your reference to USB 1.1. I
>> > thought USB 2.0 devices are backwards-compatible with 1.1
>> >
>> > We are installing our Ethernet now, but I still need to be
>> > able to use the flash drive sneakernet to back up the
>> > Ethernet.

I've been preoccupied with installing our Ethernet and server (donated - not
new). We will be bring it up one PC at a time. As for my problem PC, I have
been treating it as an ME problem. You seemed to suggest it is a hardware
problem. I have scrounged a PCI USB card with two ports. I don't know if it
is 1.1 or 2.0. I'll give it a try.

Once we have the Ethernet and the server up I know that we will become
dependent on them. Then we will be vulnerable to network failure. That's
when I will need the flash drive.

Thanks for your help.

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> Flash drives themselves should work fine - it's the ports that I was talking
> about, and which I understood were your problem??
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Sleepless in New Jersey" <SleeplessinNewJersey@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:F692A0A7-E0C2-4085-9E7A-7A5574CE2697@microsoft.com...
> >I have assumed the drive is on USB 2.0. However, I saw a very similar
> >drive
> > on Tiger Direct that was specced for 1.1. As of Friday, two of my ME
> > machines worked with the drive.
> >
> > "Noel Paton" wrote:
> >
> >> Win ME doesn't natively support USB2, so if you have USB2 hardware, it
> >> *may*
> >> work OK - but only at USB1.1 speeds, until you install the manufacturer's
> >> own drivers. OTOH, the ports may not work at all (unusual, but it
> >> happens)
> >> without the correct drivers.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >>
> >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >>
> >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
> >>
> >> "Sleepless in New Jersey"
> >> <SleeplessinNewJersey@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >> wrote in message

It was a hardware problem all along.

Thank you all for your interest and replies.

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> Flash drives themselves should work fine - it's the ports that I was talking
> about, and which I understood were your problem??
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Sleepless in New Jersey" <SleeplessinNewJersey@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:F692A0A7-E0C2-4085-9E7A-7A5574CE2697@microsoft.com...
> >I have assumed the drive is on USB 2.0. However, I saw a very similar
> >drive
> > on Tiger Direct that was specced for 1.1. As of Friday, two of my ME
> > machines worked with the drive.
> >
> > "Noel Paton" wrote:
> >
> >> Win ME doesn't natively support USB2, so if you have USB2 hardware, it
> >> *may*
> >> work OK - but only at USB1.1 speeds, until you install the manufacturer's
> >> own drivers. OTOH, the ports may not work at all (unusual, but it
> >> happens)
> >> without the correct drivers.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >>
> >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >>
> >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
> >>
> >> "Sleepless in New Jersey"
> >> <SleeplessinNewJersey@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >> wrote in message

Thanks for letting us know - glad you got it sorted in the end.